Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

For a Captain America film, it totally did. For an Avengers film, it didn't. The problem came from them labelling an Avengers spin off as a Captain America film, so it occupies this weird middle between them.

Yeah, the fact that they pretended the 3rd Avengers movie was the 3rd Captain America was a real lousy bait-and-switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

I guess making the Monster Truck monster a fanged placenta is probably not going to appeal to children.

I guess The Rock did sort of play a Doc Savage type character in Jumanji.

I really wish Jumanji 2 wasnt so thin. If there was a bit more plot and emotional content like the original, they couldve added another couple setpieces to stretch it to 2 hours and we'd be given more cool Rock scenes. The villain being a cardboard cutout was a missed opportunity. What if he'd been a prior player that got stuck in the game?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

I really wish Jumanji 2 wasnt so thin. If there was a bit more plot and emotional content like the original, they couldve added another couple setpieces to stretch it to 2 hours and we'd be given more cool Rock scenes. The villain being a cardboard cutout was a missed opportunity. What if he'd been a prior player that got stuck in the game?

Initially I thought he might be Alex which might have been an interesting twist. Still loved it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am getting ads on the subway here in Tokyo for Dexter, believe it or not.

Henker
May 5, 2009

porfiria posted:

I think I read an interview with him where he was like, "Yeah there was a lot of excitement at the time. The movie maybe didn't do amazing but I met a lot of executives and producers who seemed enthusiastic, but I sort of lost momentum afterward. I really should have tried to keep in touch more, I'm not very good at networking." It was kind of sad but really honest.

I saw the panel for Sky Captain at the San Diego Comic Con, and one thing that stuck out was how goddamn socially awkward the director was. It doesn't surprise me that he sucks at networking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I think I read an interview with him where he was like, "Yeah there was a lot of excitement at the time. The movie maybe didn't do amazing but I met a lot of executives and producers who seemed enthusiastic, but I sort of lost momentum afterward. I really should have tried to keep in touch more, I'm not very good at networking." It was kind of sad but really honest.

I found this write-up from a couple of years ago.

Illustrative excerpt:

quote:

“Kerry and I were so intimidated we went and sat at a separate table. We didn’t know what to do! They all turned around, almost en masse, and were like, ‘What are you idiots doing over there? Get over here!’ Then I’m sitting next to Robert Zemeckis.”

Conran laughs, but then goes quiet for a few seconds and sighs. “Much to my eternal embarrassment we never stayed in touch with any of those guys.”

This may be part of what kept the Conrans out of the Hollywood playground, their inability and discomfort with hustling or acting as if they belong. The brothers have never been good at self-promotion. In a New York Times interview from the set of Sky Captain, the reporter noted that the first two things Kerry said to him were, “I’m shy” and “I am basically an amorphous blob of nothing”.

It also talks a lot about how Sky Captain broke a lot of ground for the use of digital backlots which are now used on every big tentpole movie. It was interesting to note that the Conran brothers were sure they could make the movie on a budget of $3-4 million, which is probably unrealistic (that probably wouldn't have paid for the cast they got) but if it had been a $20 million budgeted movie and made the same amount (about $50 million), even that would've been a different story. Another extract from that article says:

quote:

As much as the big budget movies have taken the techniques the Conrans developed, still very few people have really done what they set out to do: eradicate the need for giant budgets on fantasy films. Their plan was not to make things better for James Cameron or George Lucas, it was to give opportunity to the guys nobody had heard of – guys like them – and to have moviemaking be restricted only by your imagination not your bank balance.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 3, 2018

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kind of disappointed that Villeneuve is doing Cleopatra. I thought he was doing Dune next? I remember something recently with him even passing on the next Bond film specifically for Dune. Guess the curse of the Dune remake strikes again.

Is the movie supposed to be based on the Stacy Schiff biography of Cleopatra from a few years ago? Since adapting movies from nonfiction books is in now, and the producer was talking about having it be a "woman's perspective."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He is still doing Dune, that is why he passed on Bond 25

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I can't believe it took me so long to figure out why Villaneuve's films look so loving good: Roger Deakins is his DP. That guy can turn even crap like Skyfall into something amazing to watch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I am basically an amorphous blob of nothing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Conran sounds like what would have happened if I'd made a big budget Hollywood film at 15.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Henker posted:

I saw the panel for Sky Captain at the San Diego Comic Con, and one thing that stuck out was how goddamn socially awkward the director was. It doesn't surprise me that he sucks at networking.

Its the reason why perpetual failsons like Alex Kurtzman, David Goyer, Skip Woods, Akiva Goldman, etc keep on getting gigs. They're poo poo at creating art, but complete geniuses when it comes to networking.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akdZ4ff4SVE

Slenderman movie trailer

Nice making your focus be middle school/highschool white girls, just like the real life stabbings!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Taintrunner posted:

I am getting ads on the subway here in Tokyo for Dexter, believe it or not.

Huh? Why?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Slenderman movie trailer

Nice making your focus be middle school/highschool white girls, just like the real life stabbings!

Why in the world did I think that said “Spider-man” movie trailer then think the same thing after I went to YouTube?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gatts posted:

Why in the world did I think that said “Spider-man” movie trailer then think the same thing after I went to YouTube?

"MORE MISSING KIDS! CLETUS "SLENDERMAN" CASSIDY STRIKES AGAIN - LIKELY A FRIEND OF LOCAL MENACE SPIDER-MAN!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Slenderman movie trailer

I have some questions

Why is Slenderman barely in the trailer, like at all. Like half the shots are from like a heavy metal music video of just maggots and people's heads vibrating.

Where is Slenderman's suit and tie :colbert:

Did the guy who originally do the photoshops on this forum get a say in any of this or is Slenderman totally out of his hands now as far as rights goes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Everyone's always concerned for Victor Surge's IP rights.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Enthusiastic about :
[i]Isle of Dogs

A film set in Japan, written by and starring white people, and named after an area of London, I get that it's Wes Anderson but I'm not expecting great things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MacheteZombie posted:

Everyone's always concerned for Victor Surge's IP rights.

I think the average goon is more interested in Victor Surge's ownership of Slenderman than Victor Surge is.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
One: For some reason I thought the Slenderman movie was actually about the IRL Slenderman Stabbings.

Two: Those little girls totally got a raw deal. The stabbers I mean. 25 years for stabbing?!? Grown men get less time for running around raping people! gently caress this country.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

*slams fist on desk* I want pages, Parker! Eight pages of Slenderman!

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

ookiimarukochan posted:

A film set in Japan, written by and starring white people, and named after an area of London, I get that it's Wes Anderson but I'm not expecting great things.

Plus, imagine how bad a human will be at writing canine dialogue!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

Are you aware, as well, that dogs cannot talk and, well, this movie isn't real?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gatts posted:

I'm now picturing Japanese Slender-Man, where he summons a gigantic mecha to murder people in the woods. And it's awesome.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ookiimarukochan posted:

London has an isle of dogs?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The Japanese dubbed version will definitely be the way to go.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
the movie is actually named "I Love Dogs"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I Love Dogs So Much I Started A Hotel; For Dogs

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
The very best thing about Slenderman is its qausi-public domain status, so I really don't get why goons are so concerned about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still love that the internet horror monster is a tall, thin, white guy that dresses professionally.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I still love that the internet horror monster is a tall, thin, white guy that dresses professionally.

The spectre of the white upper class lingers over us, ideologically abducting our children and resigning them to twisted fates that make them long for a release of the mortal coil.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't studios just claim whatever they want ran at a loss?

Creative accounting / fuzzy math can be done to cover up a lot of things and dodge revenue sharing. Lucasfilm claimed for years that Return of the Jedi never turned a profit, Nia Vardalos got hosed by the studio that did My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and WB accidentally had an infamous budget sheet leaked that said one of the Harry Potter movies--the fifth, I think?--lost like $300 million despite making nearly a billion dollars before ancillary revenue.

Another infamous example is WB claiming a huge loss on Superman Returns, because they tacked on the ~$50 million from the past decade and a half of aborted Superman movie attempts. Paramount used similar fuzzy math to remove Gene Roddenberry from control of the Star Trek movies, claiming The Motion Picture cost $45 million because they factored the previous three attempts at movies, plus the aborted Phase II series that was literally like two weeks away from production before the Paramount network attempt was canceled, into the final numbers.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

What if goatse is slenderman outside of business hours

bartok
May 10, 2006

I'm disappointed that Lauren Lapkus and Jake Johnson aren't in Jurassic World 2. Their interactions were the only part of Jurassic World I found remotely entertaining.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

got any sevens posted:

London has an isle of dogs?

Yep, and it was actually the filming location for none other than Full Metal Jacket.

Can't say I have any interest in a Cleopatra movie, but at least Villeneuve has a habit of making GBS threads out amazing movies really quickly, so I'll just wait along for the next one if that doesn't change.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shoombo posted:

The very best thing about Slenderman is its qausi-public domain status, so I really don't get why goons are so concerned about it.

I never knew the name Victor Surge before this thread but I think it can be cool that a bunch of people on the Internet can be riffing back and forth on a new creepypasta idea but uncool when a major corporation wants to monetize it for themselves and not give anybody credit.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Lobok posted:

I never knew the name Victor Surge before this thread but I think it can be cool that a bunch of people on the Internet can be riffing back and forth on a new creepypasta idea but uncool when a major corporation wants to monetize it for themselves and not give anybody credit.

I would agree but it's kind of too late for that. Victor Surge would've had to litigate against the smaller projects, is my understanding, because copyright is hosed.

I also believe Victor Surge has admitted that the lore, as it were, is significantly transformed from his original art, and that he's only a small part of what slenderman is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might be too late to legally be forced to give someone credit but never too late to give someone their due willingly.

Anyway, I think the real reason goons might care about Victor Surge (important to repeat that name because it's a cool rear end name, he clearly is evil and has command of electricity) is that he is/was one of our own and maybe most goons harbour this idea that some joke or idea they post on the forums could actually be worth something one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Since I made the comment about goons caring about VS's IP,

I believe he once owned some form of copyright. He successfully was able to prevent a few projects from getting off the ground back in the day (a kickstarter film for example). However, at some point something changed. Mythology Entertainment (iirc) is the current media rights holder in Slenderman, but who they bought it from I don't know.