Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Surge was indeed consulted for this new movie. He's getting money from it, probably.

Anyway, can you people guess what upcoming movie this picture of Ben Mendelsohn is from?

Robin Hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Anyway, can you people guess what upcoming movie this picture of Ben Mendelsohn is from?

Please tell me that's him as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: yes that is very era-accurate clothing.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Is this the only role Ben Mendelsohn can play now

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I is this Robin Hood as a YA dystopia movie?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when whichever studio wanted the Ridley Scott movie from a few years ago to be the start of the Robin Hood Shared Cinematic Universe?

Crossing over (presumably after Little John: A Merry Men Story, Will Scarlet: A Merry Men Story, Guy of Gisborne: Origins, Friar Tuck: Back In the Habit etc.) with... I don't know, Ivanhoe probably?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when whichever studio wanted the Ridley Scott movie from a few years ago to be the start of the Robin Hood Shared Cinematic Universe?

Crossing over (presumably after Little John: A Merry Men Story, Will Scarlet: A Merry Men Story, Guy of Gisborne: Origins, Friar Tuck: Back In the Habit etc.) with... I don't know, Ivanhoe probably?

I think you've mixed up your facts. Ridley Scott's film was always meant to be a standalone, this film is the one that's meant to start a cinematic universe—though they've now pulled back on their plans. Cinematic universes weren't even a thing beyond Marvel when Scott's film came out.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Here are more from the twitter -

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I think you've mixed up your facts. Ridley Scott's film was always meant to be a standalone, this film is the one that's meant to start a cinematic universe—though they've now pulled back on their plans. Cinematic universes weren't even a thing beyond Marvel when Scott's film came out.

I've probably confused them. I heard about someone wanting to make a Robin Hood cinematic universe and assumed it was the Ridley Scott one.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Jaime foxx? Did they keep the Azeem character? Also lmao those costumes look so clean

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've probably confused them. I heard about someone wanting to make a Robin Hood cinematic universe and assumed it was the Ridley Scott one.

Ridley Scott's was meant to be the one where Robin and the Sheriff were actually the same person.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That looks like Robin Hood if it was in the universe of Dishonored.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

That looks like Robin Hood if it was in the universe of Dishonored.

I was thinking more along the lines of the lovely Thief reboot.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

got any sevens posted:

Jaime foxx? Did they keep the Azeem character? Also lmao those costumes look so clean

Jamie Foxx is Little John, not sure if he's going to be Moor or if they are just not having a Moor character in this one. It's becoming a tradition though every studio has to roll their own as he's not public domain like every other character.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Davros1 posted:

Ridley Scott's was meant to be the one where Robin and the Sheriff were actually the same person.

Nah, same actor, but two separate characters. The original script for that film had the Sheriff of Nottingham as the main character and Robin Hood as a local outlaw who is believed to be responsible for a number of murders. It has a strange whodunit/detective film vibe to it.

It's a film I want to see so loving bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

I think Surge was indeed consulted for this new movie. He's getting money from it, probably.

Robin Hood

Get him, Robin Hood! Kick Anderson Cooper's rear end!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Robin Hood

Orc Cop 2?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Robin Hood

Villeneuve's Dun-Oh, uh okay.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
*Ben Mendelssohn finishes filming Rogue One where he wears monochrome capes and jackets and skulks around menacingly*

whew job well done, what's next

*Ben Mendelssohn films Ready Player One where he wears monochrome suits and jackets and skulks around menacingly*

Ok that's done, can't wait to get to my next project. It's Robin Hood! That'll really mix it up

*Ben Mendelssohn arrives on set and is shown to the costume trailer*

oh

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Tars Tarkas posted:

The role of Robin Hood will now be played by generic white guy #6871.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey, there's the intervening seasons of Bloodline where he wears button-down t-shirts. Be fair to Ben.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the Uncharted movie supposed to be coming out this year? Cause I just started watching TinTin and holy poo poo no one could hope to make a better Uncharted than this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

The role of Robin Hood will now be played by generic white guy #6871.

At least he's actually British.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is the Uncharted movie supposed to be coming out this year? Cause I just started watching TinTin and holy poo poo no one could hope to make a better Uncharted than this.

Funny you say that because there are quite a few Uncharted moments, not just in Uncharted itself but imitators, that make me think of that mobile command lab RV thing hanging over the cliff in Lost World. Which is obviously another Spielberg movie.

Not to mention all of Indiana Jones.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
A Mummy era Brendan Fraser would be a good choice for Nathan Drake

A Mummy era Tom Cruise would be an awful choice for Nathan Drake

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Robin Hood

Until I zoomed in on those guards in the background and noticed those aren't future machine guns and are actually crossbows, I was assuming this was some unheard of cyberpunk or dystopian sci-fi project.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone is dressed in straight-up modern clothing. One of those extras is just wearing this:

:confused:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Alright, alright! Knock if off! This is GORE-TEX!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Young Freud posted:

Until I zoomed in on those guards in the background and noticed those aren't future machine guns and are actually crossbows, I was assuming this was some unheard of cyberpunk or dystopian sci-fi project.

Only just now realized they aren't pulse rifles.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I thought that it was some kinda cyber punk movie.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it kinda reminds me of the ahistorical props in Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters, an excellent movie that I wish had a sequel, but yeah they looked like that to me.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

ALFbrot posted:

the movie is actually named "I Love Dogs"

Absolutely.

K. Waste posted:

The Japanese dubbed version will definitely be the way to go.

The kid will be speaking Japanese anyway, right?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Shanty posted:

The kid will be speaking Japanese anyway, right?

From the trailer I saw, all the humans are Japanese and voiced by Japanese actors.
Like, the joke is the dogs can't communicate with the kid.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

not gonna lie, those costumes and poo poo actually make me more interested in that film, which is to say even remotely interested because lol who could possibly give a flying gently caress about a loving robin hood movie, except apparently the lol is now on me.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

wyoming posted:

From the trailer I saw, all the humans are Japanese and voiced by Japanese actors.
Like, the joke is the dogs can't communicate with the kid.

There are at least a couple of English-speaking humans in the trailer. One of them even seems to be translating Japanese to English ("It's gonna be a fight!"). I think you're right about the language joke ("I wish someone spoke his language"), but I'm still sort of confused. I guess when a dog speaks English it's barking translated for the audience, but human speech is just going to be whatever it sounds like. Dubbing this movie is going to be weird, much like Inglorious Basterds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always assumed Japan was a subtitles nation with dubbing being only for children's films.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FreudianSlippers posted:

I always assumed Japan was a subtitles nation with dubbing being only for children's films.

This is kind of hard to google, but a looking breifly at a Japanese cinema's website they've got subtitle showings for most stuff, but Star Wars has a dubbed showing as well. So you may be right? Or maybe it's only worth dubbing the larger features.

Huh, the subbed showing is in 2D and the dub is in 3D. I wonder if they hate looking at subtitles in 3D as much as I do.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

*Ben Mendelssohn finishes filming Rogue One where he wears monochrome capes and jackets and skulks around menacingly*

whew job well done, what's next

*Ben Mendelssohn films Ready Player One where he wears monochrome suits and jackets and skulks around menacingly*

Ok that's done, can't wait to get to my next project. It's Robin Hood! That'll really mix it up

*Ben Mendelssohn arrives on set and is shown to the costume trailer*

oh

"I have to say, I always feared I would be typecast but I never thought it would be as 'Evil Project Manager'"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

If it's anything like Taiwan, it's likely more live-action is usually subbed and animation is usually released in both dubbed and subbed versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leavemywife posted:

I thought that it was some kinda cyber punk movie.

A dystopian cyberpunk reimagining of Robin Hood would be something I'd be into