Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh, since Battle Angel Alita is up there, I should mention that a friend got a role in this as an extra. He and his girlfriend show up in the trailer, in the shot with Hugo getting off his bike, not being hard to miss because he's got a giant red mohawk you can see from space.

Anyway, he said that he saw Salazar in the scenes he's in, in a mocap suit with a facial rig on, so she's pretty much completely CGI and not a mix of practical and VFX makeup and costuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Anyway, can you people guess what upcoming movie this picture of Ben Mendelsohn is from?

Robin Hood

Until I zoomed in on those guards in the background and noticed those aren't future machine guns and are actually crossbows, I was assuming this was some unheard of cyberpunk or dystopian sci-fi project.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

W-what happened to the cargo arms?

What the gently caress is thus poo poo?

Seriously, I thought the YT1300 was supposed to be a space forklift

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shageletic posted:

da gently caress?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-tv-head-alienist-george-clooneys-catch-22-future-13-reasons-why-1073192

from the interview of Paramount's TV division

Uh where did this come from

That's just an out-of-nowhere announcement.

I'm guessing cyberpunk shows are going to be a thing now, first Altered Carbon on Netflix, now Snow Crash.

It's a shame the Neuromancer rights are tied up, because a Sprawl Trilogy show that incorporates that plus Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, and Johnny Mnemonic would be killer, even if it turns out to be the Molly Millions show.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

They should just fold MASK into GI Joe anyway. The bad guys were VENOM, for crying out loud. Make MASK some unit of GI Joe and VENOM a unit of Cobra.

Considering that they've established in the Transformers movies that the humans are already reverse-engineering the Transformers technology, a MASK movie would work as a bridge between the two franchises.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

Have a listening party for The Return of Bruno.

Finish the night with Willis' magnum opus, Hudson Hawk.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

That's why he challenges the Cloverfield monster to a basketball game.

"There's nothing in the rules that says the monster can't play basketball."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crossposting from the Trump thread in D&D...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Unfortunately, no Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill either.

That's not clean and rad and powerful.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The first time you ragdoll limbs akimbo down a ravine of sharp cornices, it's horrific

The millionth time it's basically hilarious

That was a basically what happened when Conan O'Brien played it and kept missing the QTE when she fell into the river and kept getting impaled in the neck on a tree branch.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

It only got one season, but it got Peter Graves back for it.

One thing I was somewhat amazed to learn a short while ago is that In the Heat of the Night had a really successful TV revival in the late 80s which ran for about 10 seasons and won a bunch of Emmys.

If you think that's impressive but there's was a largely successful sitcom named Alice, that ran for 9 seasons in the late '70s to mid '80s and had a spinoff, that's based off a now-little-know Martin Scorsese movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

That's basically all it is. Bundy gets pulled over, the cops are like "huh, this guy and his car seem familiar, like that serial killer suspect we heard about the other day" and they arrest him. Super dramatic.

Wait, this is that script from the Blacklist from a few years ago. I forgot the working title, but it was supposedly told from Bundy's point of view, which, because he was a sociopath, didn't think he did anything wrong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like, the fun thing is that anime nerds don't give a poo poo about big cartoon eyes. They're a vestigial art feature that comes from copying Disney cartoons, and then copying those copies. They have no meaning or relevance to the people with body pillows and long sincere arguments on every internet message board known to man. It's purely something that a hollywood exec trying to understand it like an alien trying to understand human culture without any context, and no interest in gaining any context, would mindlessly copy as a cargo cult effort to imitate what they see.

The joke is that they concentrated on the eyes as a definitive feature, something that's is pretty much white noise compared to other characters, but failed to focus on Alita's octopus lips, something that's actually commented on in the manga.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Bad call? You made a bad call? These people are DEAD, Burke!! And I'm gonna see that they nail you for it. Right to the wall. Y'hear me? You're not gonna sleaze your way outta this one!

e: I'm not even saying "aliens is actually bad" that's one of my favorite bizarre line/deliveries, right up there with "talk about beauty and the beast.... she's both!!"

Paul Reiser showing up in the second season of Stranger Things was a delight.

Especially when it turns out to be an extended Aliens reference.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sponges posted:

Jones is doing his share of hamming it up as well.

Just an awful movie.

Yeah, Jones really added nothing as Two-Face. It was more like a rehashed impression of Nicholson's Joker than a conflicted character as seen in Batman: The Animated Series and The Dark Knight.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I like Oracle and am glad she's been retconned

:same:

I never like her remaining Oracle given that she lives in a superhero universe filled with magic and superscience and healing powers, but no, she's got to be in a wheelchair. Its particularly glaring when we have stuff like exoskeletons and stem cells and other medical advances that are restoring people's ability to be mobile again. Just give her a MANTIS powered suit and have her become power-armor Batgirl.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't be bothered to pay for Netflix, so I can't tell you how bad Mute by Duncan Jones is; only that it's about an Amish-mute-bartender in Blade Runner Berlin, as well as two guys called Bill and Ted complete with a sex-robot and paedophilic overtones

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/23/mute-review-netflix-duncan-jones-sci-fi

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mute

http://thewertzone.blogspot.ie/2018/02/mute.html

I just watched it. It's very uneven. I'm not sure if it has too many characters or too few.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mute is okay and would have been better with the whole character of Duck taken out. I don't think the way he's handled is terrible in the end, but his presence lends the movie a really uncomfortable tone that doesn't otherwise quite fit it.

True. There's too many interactions going on but his whole pederast angle is the worst and him giving Leo a voice as revenge did not make sense. They should have just left it between Paul Rudd's Cactus Bill and Skarsgard's Leo, since that was more than enough plot.

Anyway, going back to Catwoman chat, one of the writers of that film responded to someone's hot take on Michelle Obama's praise of Black Panther, which did add some insight into what he thinks of the finished product and why it failed...

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/967206562287661057
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/967238492618027010
--
https://twitter.com/ToddCMatthy/status/967218582106099713
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/967426397890256896

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's got good reason to be bitter:
https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/967239086376300544

He's not exaggerating, he got a story credit on Transformers a few years after Catwoman but apart from that he's been working in TV ever since, that was the end of his cinema career.

I like the exchange at the beginning of the thread with someone who knows him, that he wanted to bring it up in meeting, but he wanted him to like his kid so he never did.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That actually would be great. Kenneth Johnson created the TV scifi miniseries V and Alien Nation as well as creating the original Bionic Woman TV show and developing the 70s The Incredible Hulk show and he had a ton of writing credits between 1970 to when he wrote Steel in 1997 and then suddenly there's a 10 year gap. He also had a ton of producer credits from 1970 onwards that come to a screeching halt in 1997.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425540/

He's attempting to do another V reboot. Both the TV series and especially the 2009 series with Elizabeth Mitchell left a bad taste in his mouth. I'm not sure if it's a going to be a reboot or a sequel. He wrote a sequel novelization and it reads a bit like proto-Half Life 2, with the Visitors expanding their occupation and sucking up so much water that the sea level is dropping.

I was meaning to write a big effortpost ages ago about how superhero movies have a tendency to end careers but I never got around to it.

I'm wondering what's Michael Bay's future post-Transformers. A large part of his career is that franchise (5 feature films out of 13 in is a lot, not to mention it was a literal decade) and having Hasbro throw it aside and rebooting it after Bumblebee seems like it's a waste of his life. That and the Bayformer movies racked in the money up until this last one, but were critically lambasted and loaded with audience regret (trying to figure out a term for 'enjoyed the movie in theaters but outside of it, realizes it's bad').

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like the original Death Wish sometimes gets an unfair rap; I recall thinking it was a bit smarter than the "stone cold badass Charles Bronson mows down throngs of gangsters and poor people" stereotype suggests. :shrug:

The sequels, especially the third film, really gave the Death Wish series that rap. The fourth film at least makes things ambiguous by having Kersey bankrolled and directed by a secret drug lord.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The thing I'd usually pair it with is the original Dirty Harry, though I've not watched either in some time so I'm not sure how they'd actually compare.

Magnum Force is really the best Dirty Harry movie because it gives Callahan his wish.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the bad guys in three being fairly multicultural, but at the same time, they all looked like they'd wandered in from the set of The Road Warrior as well. :v:

It's a cast that includes Bill & Ted's Alex Winter and Aliens' Rico Ross, being led by Gavan O'Herlihy, i.e. Chuck Cunningham from "Happy Days" and son of Dan O'Herlihy, the Old Man from RoboCop . It's a diverse cast.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never been able to decide if that one is a deliberate parody or not. You've got stuff like Kersey going out of his way to set up situations where he'll have an excuse to shoot guys with his giant gun, then there's that bit at the end where Kersey is out mowing down "the Creeps" with his belt-fed machine-gun like he's Rambo and all the other people watching him instantly go and get their guns so they can join in.

The scene where the Jewish couple gets their peashooter taken away by the NYPD, then cutting to their apartment being robbed is pretty clear where the film's politics lie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

.I recall hearing that Michael Winner, the director, was pretty dreadful to Marina Sirtis on the set of Death Wish 3 but I've heard Winner was a bit of a nasty piece of work.

I believe that Sirtis has said she was grateful for Deanna Troi on ST:TNG because she was tired of getting nude and doing rape scenes, specifically Death Wish 3, where she was naked on the floor while shooting that scene.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

BP is releasing in Japan this weekend.

Has anyone informed Michael B. Jordan? :ohdear:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s not really a trailer, it’s a proof of concept made for the funding campaign to show what the film would look like. There’s clearly a lot of stock footage and shots taken from other films.

Let's not fool ourselves, that stock footage is going to be in the finished product, not just because it happened in Black Dynamite (looking at you, exploding helicopter taken from Charlie's Angels), but also a staple of the films he's parodying.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

this is absolutely a horror movie trailer if u switch the audio

The clouds parting could have been accompanied by the Hans Zimmer Horn.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I hope they keep his visual style with all the hosed up proportions and women who manage to show off their tits and rear end simultaneously in every shot.

They need to go all out and not be subdued like their Marvel shows. I mean, there better be a guy with a dozen mag pouches for guns that the guy isn't carrying; ribbed, padded shoulder pads; skintight bodysuits that are practically painted on; giant caliber guns; and blades that are just sharped steel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Whenever someone lays out the concepts of Dune I find them fascinating and evocative, but I slogged my way through the first book thinking "this is real interesting" but being turned off by how Herbert writes. That's why adaptations of Dune get me thirsty.

Man, the miniseries. First one had such awful costumes, lots of actors who just spoke English phonetically, and some tits, but was weirdly faithful to the book. Then the second one has James loving McAvoy and other good actors, way better effects, an amazing soundtrack, but the story's just this strange intermezzo ahead of more interesting events.

Part of me wants a new Dune film to just skip the first three books, go straight to God Emperor Of Dune, and treat the Lynch film and the Syfy series as both canon (with stuff like Kyle Maclachlan showing up as the blinded Paul from Dune Messiah and Alicia Witt reprising her role as Alia in flashback but with James McAvoy as a sandworm), given the distance God Emperor in time is from the events of those books. Just start the whole thing from Duncan Idaho being ghola-ed and introduced to the Leto II era.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Ready Player One is too nerd-nostalgic even for io9. That says something:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/ready-player-one-is-an-orgy-of-nostalgia-in-all-the-wro-1823701833

Goddamn, this is savage...

quote:

Like a rude orgy participant, Ready Player One insistently rubs itself on you in ways that it thinks will turn you on, whispering “talk nerdy to me” into your ear constantly, and with increasing insistence. Depending on your kink, the frottage will work at times, but the movie drags when the nostalgia stops for one of its obligatory refractory periods. And, just like a real orgy, Ready Player One is inevitably going send someone home unsatisfied and depressed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't forget Demolition Man, which claimed that in the far future of 1996, the Hollywood Sign would be on fire, gangs would have anti-air weaponry and police would be driving around in military-grade humvees.

Demolition Man came out in 1993.

(Movie still rules, though. I just hope to god they don't remake it because given the current climate it would be like the Death Wish remake mixed with every Trumpist's complaints about 'SJWs' :cripes:)

If I had to do it, I would do a remake as the exact opposite of the original: instead of a supercop awaking in a "politically correct" sanitized future where he's the only thing to stop the mad dog criminals of the past and the underground insurgents of the future, it's a supercop who has a monkey's paw wish and awakes where the police force are hypercops, heavily armed and highly brutal, punishing the populace for minor infractions with the maximum punishment allowed (and more, like outright police brutality horrorshows), that he sides with the criminals/rebels to take them down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Don't worry, it'll have Sharlto Copley in it somewhere

Brandon Auret will be in there as well and die horribly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

It's really too bad that his career petered out. Like as flawed as his movies were, they were all (except maybe Mirror, Mirror, which I didn't see) lush as hell visually.

He can no longer rely on Eiko Ishioka anymore, not unless he can find a medium or a necromancer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonya_Blade

I just found this tidbit out...

What could have been....

I think I remember this around the time Diaz had her big break in The Mask.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

So the original trilogy was religious poo poo, the fourth was 1950's sci fi poo poo, what's next? Please tell me 70's new age hippie cult artifacts.

Or Erik Von Daniken "Children Of The Gods" stuff, which would be a great segue from Crystal Skull.

Also, that would be perfect for Shia to return to.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is the King of Fighters anime movie the one where Mai's boobs are popping out in every transistional frame or is that a differant film?

When you have Masami Obari direct, expect some pneumatic anime tiddy action. I think almost everything he's animated has had some bouncing breasts in it, save the transformation sequence for Convoy i.e. Optimus Prime in Gen1 Transformers

quote:

I wish they made a hyper violent good animated Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior anime movie.

:same:

There really should have been a Studio Madhouse-produced anime for Darkstalkers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

But because the billionaires were the banker and they were cheating and embezzling money the whole time and they end up winning without the other players having stood a chance like my brother always used to and like the wealthy can.

Almost like that's was the point of the original game before Parker Brothers bought the rights.

That said, the versions where the banker were there is no human banker are probably the best. I remember playing a game with friends who had the "credit card" electronic bank version and it was a blast. I ended up winning because I flipped property.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm not all that stoked on Eli Roth though. The one good thing I think he's done is The Bear Jew, and that was in someone else's movie.

Eli Roth's best work is always in other people's movies: getting shot by a dwarf entryman while on the toilet in Southland Tales and getting crushed between two boats in Piranha 3D.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much, yeah. (moreso in 'light novels', I think the Japanese equivalent to YA lit, which are often adapted into anime)

It's become so common that it's displaced "transported into a fantasy world" and, IIRC, a big pro-am writers' short story contest in Japan will no longer accept stories with that premise it's become so prevalent.

Myself, there's some merit in the scenario, but only if the MMO is Second Life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

I think Anchor Bay released it on DVD. I'm still trying to find a copy of Black Hole on DVD but I think Disney has it locked away hoping no one will remember it exists.

It's a shame, because I really want Kingdom Hearts to do a Black Hole level on board the USS Cygnus: Sora and crew are dressed up like the Palomino crew, there's no humans on board save the drones, you fight S.T.A.R. Troopers alongside V.I.N.CENT. and B.O.B., and the big reveal is that it's post-movie, when you fight Maximilian, he has Dr. Reinhardt's voice (which is, admittedly, a bit hard now, since Maximilian Schell passed away years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

David Fincher said the only way he'd ever do a Star Wars movie is if he could do one about a robot slave revolt.

I'd watch "C3PO joins Fight Club"

Actually, HK47 But He's Actually Used To Be A Protocol Droid would be cool, maybe combine the two for literal Droid Fight Club.