Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't studios just claim whatever they want ran at a loss?

Creative accounting / fuzzy math can be done to cover up a lot of things and dodge revenue sharing. Lucasfilm claimed for years that Return of the Jedi never turned a profit, Nia Vardalos got hosed by the studio that did My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and WB accidentally had an infamous budget sheet leaked that said one of the Harry Potter movies--the fifth, I think?--lost like $300 million despite making nearly a billion dollars before ancillary revenue.

Another infamous example is WB claiming a huge loss on Superman Returns, because they tacked on the ~$50 million from the past decade and a half of aborted Superman movie attempts. Paramount used similar fuzzy math to remove Gene Roddenberry from control of the Star Trek movies, claiming The Motion Picture cost $45 million because they factored the previous three attempts at movies, plus the aborted Phase II series that was literally like two weeks away from production before the Paramount network attempt was canceled, into the final numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Anyway, can you people guess what upcoming movie this picture of Ben Mendelsohn is from?

Please tell me that's him as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

Road to Perdition is worth a watch

Yeah, that's a criminally underrated movie. Mendes has put out a lot of dogshit but there's so, so, so much to like in that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I keep wondering if Disney is looking at Solo as just a completely sunken cost at this point, instead just praying for decent merchandise sales.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Isn't Solo the movie where midway through production they had to fly in an acting coach because the titular Solo was an awful actor

The "acting coach" thing was in the very obviously planted hit piece in THR (or Variety, I forget which) that dropped like six hours after Lord & Miller were fired. It's never been confirmed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

To be fair we've seen hardly pretty much nothing for Deadpool 2 or Incredibles 2 either and only the initial trailers for Avengers 3 and Jurassic World 2.

I have a strong feeling that both Deadpool 2 and Incredibles 2 will be huge disappointments (well, only partially for the former, as the original really doesn't hold up on repeat viewings).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Id have a lot more respect for Disney if they just said "gently caress it, this Solo movies gonna be poo poo" and scrapped it.

Seriously. It's clear that they had Ron Howard re-shoot the entire thing, considering Lord and Miller were fired in June with two weeks to go, Howard arrived on-set a week later and he kept shooting until the middle of October.

At this point I feel the movie getting released is a statement: "Kathleen Kennedy owns Star Wars, you do not gently caress with her (and to a lesser extent you don't gently caress with Kasdan)."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's pretty clear at this point that it doesn't matter what is or isn't part of these movies, it's the brand is what's strong.

Not just the brand, but the tribalism as well. People feel an obligation to go see whatever Marvel shits out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It got three horrible sequels but they've still been desperately trying to reboot it these last 10 years. It went through a whole slew of developments but it was announced in Aug/Sept 2016 that Jason Momoa was going to star in it but then in Nov 2016 the film rights changed hands and the whole project was up in the air again, and just a few months ago it was announced that Sony will be distributing it if it ever comes out.

It's kinda sorta fitting that they just won't let it die

I'm still hoping Nick Cave's script for that surfaces.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Shark posted:

What the hell is going on with the movie that is formerly known as "The God Particle"? Delayed until April, the third delay.

That's the third Cloverfield movie, right? I think they finished shooting on that in the summer of 2016, so my only thought is substantial re-editing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Was this the one Steve Norrington was briefly attached to or was that a more recent attempts?

It was, yeah. Cave was brought aboard to rewrite Norrington's script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MH Knights posted:

I liked the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

It's legit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Shadow of Mordor and its nemesis system beginning life as a Dark Knight video game that got canned once Warner Bros. made WBIE a thing.

I've always been skeptical of this. Also, Pandemic, not Monolith, was the company that was working on a Dark Knight video game that got canceled; it was a skunkworks project between Pandemic and I think EA, who held the license at the time; in any event, Gary Oldman said that he had recorded substantial dialogue for it before it was quietly canceled ... presumably because Arkham Asylum surprised the hell out of anyone.

Literally the only source on Mordor starting out as a Batman game comes from one throwaway email on a Giant Bomb podcast that used the "my friend at Monolith told me this" canard; beyond that, the timelines don't match up, because by all accounts Shadow of Mordor began development in the middle of 2011, but WBIE became a thing in 2009 with the release of Arkham Asylum -- and by the time development on Shadow of Mordor started, Arkham City was already deep into QA, with Rocksteady having already shifted the majority of the Arkham City dev team over to what became Arkham Knight (and they had already been bought out by WBIE a year earlier).

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 15, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Also I don't think it was mentioned yet but I just remembered that Hitman is actually going to be a TV show on Hulu with some of the John Wick people working on it.

One of the John Wick guys (Stahelski) is also involved in the upcoming John Wick TV show on Starz, which will likely feature Ian McShane's character in a recurring role. No word on Keanu's involvement yet, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jigsaw goes to space?

Rebuild him like Uber Jason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A short version of this plays on almost every Hulu commercial break right now. :suicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Unless it was just a humility act, anytime it was brought Craig refused to entertain the idea when it was brought up in interviews. He didn't think anyone should take over The Late Show after Letterman. He probably wanted to take the show in a direction the network wasn't comfortable with, they didn't just give the show to Colbert without letting Ferguson pitch his ideas first. CBS had to pay Ferguson 12 million when they didn't name him the successor so you can bet they explored his ideas fully.

To expand on this, Ferguson's plan was always to do the show for nine or ten years then quit before he got bored or stale. In his final Late Late Show contract (the one that gave him a bigger studio and moved him out of the basement bandshell he'd been in, but also finally gave CBS co-ownership of The Late Late Show), his agent was the one who put in the provision that if Ferguson were passed over for The Late Show, they'd have to pay him $10 million.

But Ferguson never, ever wanted to move to The Late Show; he knew his style would never work for 11:35 audiences and CBS wanted someone who could compete with Colbert and all his viral sketches, and beyond that he wanted to start spending more time with his family--which is why he records his Sirius XM show out of his house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ferguson was absolutely right to do so, his more adult, conversational style just doesn't work for the America's Funniest Home Videos bullshit timeslot.

Right. Ferguson's Late Late Show, once it found its groove (it got good after its second year, but it didn't really become great until Geoff Peterson arrived, and then it became transcendent when Josh Robert Thompson was actually voicing him live in the studio), was basically an hourlong live-action TV Funhouse, which would never have played for weekday 11:35 audiences. Ferguson's always been very good about knowing when to quit--even walking away from The Drew Carey Show, despite the massive paycheck, because it was absolute poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

Fallon has several strengths that make the show work overall but those strengths do not include holding a conversation with someone, let alone interviewing them. Unless they're a very good friend of his. It's to the show's credit that they spend less time on monologuing and guests and more on games and segments.

He and Lorne realized very quickly that Fallon's strength was bite-size four-minute segments that can go on YouTube and then get shared by a zillion people on Facebook.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Sounds like Ferguson is a lot smarter than Conan. He can now go off and enter the next phase of his career without the stigma of having been completely played by a washed up Jay Leno like Conan was.

The War for Late Night, by Bill Carter (who wrote The Late Shift, about the battle between Leno and Letterman for The Tonight Show) really takes a deep dive into just how naive Conan was about getting The Tonight Show: Not insisting on certain contractual protections, not demanding that Jay loving go away, not doing a lot of research into what worked in that timeslot, etc. He was really blindsided by the whole affair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

On the other hand, I can see where he's coming from, since he had been a dependable company guy for years and was willing to move his whole production over to LA and it was pretty obvious that Leno's version of the show only had so much life left in it.

Right. Literally everyone in Conan's circle, and even people from his past like Lorne Michaels, were telling him, "Watch out for Jay: He's not ready to quit, he wants to go on his own terms; and watch out for Zucker, he'll knife you in an instant," and he stubbornly believed that because he had been so loyal, that because he had turned down the overture from Fox in the past and stuck with NBC, that because he had stuck in that Late Show slot for so long despite clearly being ready to move on, that meant NBC would stick by him and give him time to build an audience (and his ratings, in fact, were better in his year than they were in Leno's first year).

But Conan didn't know studio politics, and that's what got him in the end. He got to the point where he'd hide under his desk and cry for an hour or more because he had no idea how to deal with what was going on, and it reached a point where he was actually snapping and berating and yelling at his staff--which he never did--because it all got to him. (That's when he realized he'd reached a breaking point and finally told his agent to "blow it up" and issue the statement that said he was refusing to move to 12:05 and NBC would have to deal with it.)

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why the fuuuuuuuck is vanilla L&O not streaming anywhere.

I imagine it's coming soon, now that ER hit Hulu. Although every time I go to Half-Price Books, their full series collection in the glass case tempts me...

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah and Lorne learning that lesson with Fallon helped Seth Myers recover his show in a similar fashion. I kind of ignored Seth until about 3-4 months ago until a few of his videos starting showing up in my YouTube recommendations. Breaking up his news recap into two videos, the full 10 minute bit and a 5 min heavy hit piece was a great idea to lean people into him. Now I watch his 10min bit every evening when I get home and every "Jokes Seth Can't Tell" I can.

Right. When Myers was allowed to pivot his show into "really long Weekend Update," he got so much better.

raditts posted:

The only good thing about his show is The Roots, and they're really slumming it by hanging out with the likes of him.

I'm reminded of that Dave Chappelle bit about when you see one white guy hanging around a bunch of black guys, that white guy is the scariest guy in the group, because you know they've all seen him do some serious poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sponges posted:

Has Ferguson done anything since his show ended?

He did a few seasons of Celebrity Name Game, and as I mentioned a page or two ago, he now has a daily "format-free" show on Sirius XM.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

mods namechange plz tia

Also, fun fact: Ellen briefly attended my high school. She's one of the notable alumni on its Wikipedia page. So did Phil Anselmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBY6v4Z5uo

My high school's notable alumni are, off the top of my head, Diablo Cody and former NFL "quarterback" Dan LeFevour.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

What a wet fart of an interview that was, too. That final episode was amazing but the Leno piece ... oof.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jay Leno used to do sketches I loved as a kid, like one where he was a crazy floating head and one where he was a body builder in a fun house mirror. Or one where he was a Zorro type character, Jayro, whose father always lambasted him at the end of the sketch saying "Why can't you be more like Jayro? I wish I had a brave son" and then Jay would shed a single tear. Past a certain point he just completely stopped doing that type of thing for some reason.

That comes up a bit in The War for Late Night; basically, Leno got lazy and said, "Look, I just want to stand up there and tell jokes."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

What are you talking about, everyone absolutely poo poo all over Leno for that, even the other late night hosts, except for utter sycophants like Adam Carolla. They rightly supported him because nbc hosed him hard.

You ... might want to re-read the sentence you quoted.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Conan kind of immediately did the exact same thing to George Lopez, it's just significantly fewer people cared about Lopez.

Conan and Lopez were very clear about that from the beginning: Conan told TBS that he was in no way bumping Lopez from his time slot because he had just had that happen to him. Lopez himself called Conan and basically said, "Dude, do it, take 11 p.m. It's yours."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He's 100% correct about The Greatest Showman.

Absolutely. I got dragged to that the other night with some friends who all loving loved it and all I could do was give them the biggest :stare: I could muster.

"Well, you're just too critical on some movies, Tim." Oh, gently caress off, it's practically a hagiography of one of the worst human beings, if not the worst human being, in the history of entertainment, but just because Huge Jacked Man does his song and dance routine everyone thinks it's a wonderful and moving depiction of a flawed but ultimately well-meaning guy.

gently caress that noise.

Edit: I mean, it's like I, Tonya, which compels you to feel sorry for a woman who, while admittedly hosed up from a young age, conspired to have her ice skating rival kneecapped.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 20, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phanatic posted:

And the Imitation Game, the only aspect of which was shared with reality was that in the 1940s there was actually a war between Germany and Britain. And which features as a framing device Alan Turing violating every single security oath he ever took.

The best part of The Imitation Game is the way they Poochied Turing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how every year there's at least one big, expensive would-be blockbuster that unceremoniously flames out? For instance, last year, it was the King Arthur movie with Charlie Hunnam.

Nah, the winner last year has to be the Tom Cruise Mummy in a landslide, a movie that bombed so horribly it killed an entire franchise / universe.

In a good and just 2018, Ready Player One would flame out spectacularly, but ... we don't live in a good and just world. I have a feeling Venom, Alita, Maze Runner and Ocean's 8 all have the potential to fizzle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, my wife (who's 34) said she really wants to see it after the trailer was in front of Star Wars ... to which I said that's fine, but she can take our 14-year-old niece.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough - I'm looking at the raw numbers, but I've never been especially good at mathematics so I'm probably not interpreting them very well.

You should probably stop trying to analyze box office numbers, then, because you dig a deeper hole for yourself every time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Eh, I dunno, I think this is a movie they have to think carefully about making it properly stupid. Duke Nukem Forever is a game that shows signs of not being thought through.

SMG tearing up the DNF thread in Games is still one of the most beautiful things to ever happen on these forums.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

That aspect of Robocop should definitely be emphasized extremely heavily in any remake made today. The story should be about him bringing down something like that gun/drug ring that was being run by detectives in Baltimore. I've never seen Robocop 3 though so maybe they already did that.

RoboCop 3 was about him opposing Japan-driven urban gentrification.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fart City posted:

With drone warfare and government surveillance being such prescient issues, I was pretty excited about the Robocop remake when those elements were spoken about early in its development. Sadly I think the movie was bogged down by being largely toothless. The PG-13 element is another factor all together, but the tone itself was off. It felt too... clean. Like it had been studio committee’d into a corner.

Padilha said this is exactly what happened and it's why he'll never do another movie with an American studio ever again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

I think so yea. Starship Troopers is a close second, but the special effects in Robocop hold up a bit better than the bugs.

I don't know about that; Starship Troopers has some of the most amazing motion-control model work ever committed to film and honestly the only ropey bug stuff is the actual full-sized physical ones, which don't have the same movement as the CGI ones.

Where RoboCop wins out is that every single character, no matter how minor, is perfectly cast and everyone is just oozing charisma, whereas Starship Troopers is dragged down by Van Dien, Richards, Strong and to a lesser extent Meyer and Muldoon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. I was sure it was a 2017 movie. I'm not sure why. :shrug:

You're sure about a lot of things in this thread.

Just sayin'.

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely wouldn't say that Starship Troopers looks bad, I think it holds up a lot better than the average sci-fi bugfest. But for me the work they did on Robocop was some of the best ever put on film, specifically Robocop himself. The image of Weller with his face just pulled tight over the metal like that is a perfect, 100% immersive special effect. Which is pretty drat rare.

RoboCop's makeup effects are absolutely phenomenal, that's for sure. It's funny how the third-act makeup gradually gets worse through the movies (although they did an admirable job on a zero budget with Burke in 3), then in The Series, until finally in Prime Directives they just have Page Fletcher wearing a turtleneck and a skull cap:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ol' Long Arms Ronnie.

Dean Norris has a weird long-arms thing going in Starship Troopers. I don't understand what's going on with his arms here beyond a bizarrely poor-fitting costume:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just give me National Treasure 3 already.