Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I have to point out that the two Vin Diesel moves mentioned in the OP are actually financial successes globally, especially F8.

Rirse posted:

Yeah I liked the Lego Batman Movies...shouldn't it be the Lego Ninjago movie that was the weird one that failed to capture the charm of the Lego Movie? Also where is Tom & Jerry Meets Willy Wonka on the list?

Yeah, Lego Batman did way better than Ninjago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Condorito was released at the same time as Coco in my country :mexico:, so no matter how beloved the main character is it got obliterated in the Mexican box office. I haven't seen it, by the way. So I'm not sure how faithful is to the old as gently caress comics (that are still releasing).

Did the movie ¡PLOP!?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Annihilation is not mentioned in the OP? It's probably a good movie, but it also has a weird distribution where it's in theaters in the US but on Netflix just weeks later everywhere else. Also two producers on the movie hate each other with one of them (same guy who produced Geostorm) saying that it's too intelligent or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock made 9 videos on his Instagram thanking all the countries where Jumanji 2 is have been making a killing, which includes France, Mexico, Malaysia, Australia, and South Korea. It's also about to open in China.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The next Cloverfield movie has been delayed from February to April 20, same day as Rampage and the Overboard remake.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shoombo posted:

Ah, yes, that climactic Batman v Superman fight against a bunch of super-powered goons.

I don't even remember how Civil War ended, like at all.

Edit: the north won

The real answer is that someone brought up Iron Man's dead parents but instead of making him stop fighting it drove him into a murderous rage.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I guess making the Monster Truck monster a fanged placenta is probably not going to appeal to children.

I guess The Rock did sort of play a Doc Savage type character in Jumanji.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Surge was indeed consulted for this new movie. He's getting money from it, probably.

Anyway, can you people guess what upcoming movie this picture of Ben Mendelsohn is from?

Robin Hood

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm assuming that's not a white dude, which is cool

Just don't make the same mistake Marvel did.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ridley Scott criticized studios because they hire inexperienced directors for huge and expensive movies, so Disney is in talks with him to direct a movie based on TA Barron's The Merlin Saga.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

They just need to be smart about it, but it seems like these days they rarely are. I love Ridley Scott, but he seems to exclusively work only on huge budget projects these days. But there needs to be more restraint when it comes to launching these risky new potential franchises. Maybe make it for 50 million instead of 90 so that it actually has a realistic chance of making money and earning a sequel.

Alien Covenant and All The Money In The World were relatively not that expensive. Scott even said that he considers it a failure if a movie needs 200 million to be made.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Holdover from 2017: The Last Jedi is expected to do badly in China (where Star Wars has never been the world-conquering franchise it is everywhere else), which combined with its slowdown in North America may yet vindicate my expectation that it won't be the number one movie for 2017.

I thought The Last Jedi have already outgrossed all other movies in 2017.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrsofPD-Jc

Went to the theatre, saw this trailer and I have never heard of this movie before, I don't know how to feel about it but it features brie Wilson on a horse chasing a train full of rice

Movie set in India with that video thumbnail? First thing I think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXyQ-OD3hM0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phanatic posted:

You mean Room.

The Room is entirely different.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I remember Entrapment being the movie that got complaints in Malaysia for splicing two different parts of the country together so the Twin Towers looked like it was near a disheveled village.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Deadpool 2 is not dropping sexual assault and woman punching enthusiast TJ Miller

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/deadpool-2-tj-miller-not-recast-sexual-abuse-allegations-1201915211/

The movie could just recast Weasel with Christopher Plummer. I'm serious, that's something they should do.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, it's Deadpool. They wouldn't have to be elegant in cutting him out, just have Deadpool turn to the camera and say "Yeah my best friend turned out to be kind of a douchebag so we had to cut out all his scenes."

I still like my Christopher Plummer idea. Only Deadpool will notice anything different and when he asks Weasel, Plummer will answer "a lifetime of being a pervert really took a toll on me".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Certainly makes May a pretty crowded month for big movies, though it will probably help Deadpool the most. Wonder if Disney will finally bite the bullet and push Solo back to December now?

At this point, Solo will probably be lucky to make back its budget, let alone turn a profit. :v:

December is pretty crowded itself, with a Spider-Man, a Transformers and a DC movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Mangold's Patty Hearst biopic is cancelled by Fox after Hearst said that the book it would have been based on romanticized her torture and rape.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-cancels-james-mangolds-patty-hearst-biopic-1074187

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lone Ranger was a notorious bomb, though.

Only because of its ridiculous budget.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This would actually own and they could use the same model they used for the Soul Reaver games!!!! Raziel can't be in sunlight, swim, and a bunch of other "Tomb Raider" kind of things but has a bunch of crazy abilities of his own like passing through things as a spirit. You could totally make a Soul Reaver template game built around switching between them instead of switching between the corporeal and spirit world. :laffo: And just do the usual Legacy of Kain thing and record a ton of voice over of them dissing each on their road to becoming ultimate frenemies.

Story? Who gives a poo poo, Lara raids a tomb but oh poo poo it's Raziel's and he wakes up, time to team up and stop some boss that's like an amalgamation of Kain and that skeleton queen you see for two seconds at the end of Tomb Raider 2013. The Legacy of Kain games have time travel as a huge plot elements already so they can even go back and forth between their respective settings.

This sort of happened with Lara Croft and Guardian of Light. The game can be played alone or co-op with a friend. In co-op, player 2 controls an ancient warrior who teams up with Lara to stop the bad guy. There's a DLC you can buy for the game where you can play as Raziel and Kain instead, complete with a new story and voiced lines. Your idea is definitely better, though.

The game also had a free DLC where you play as Kane and Lynch. It was pretty funny: Lara and the warrior defeated the bad guy and locked him in his magic prison, then moments after they left the temple Kan & Lynch arrived and accidentally released him again. Also remember there was a Kane & Lynch movie planned where Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx plays the main characters?

Rough Lobster posted:

True Grit's great. Jeff Bridges gives a really fun performance in it, and the actress who plays the girl is really good in the role. I love the look on her face when blows away the dude who killed her dad at the end. Just pure glee.

The girl is Hailee Steinfeld, who was in Edge of Seventeen and also this upcoming movie this year:

Lately she's been more known for her music, though, especially after her song about jerking off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpFmHSgC4Q

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Video game budgets are as expensive as movies now. The low effort video game adaptation of yesterday is now the microtransaction laden F2P game of today. Probably much more profitable too. Every once in a while you do get a Mad Max, but I heard that was actually in development long before they even started production on Fury Road.

I made a video game movie thread over a year ago. Put a lot of effort into the OP. It died without a single post. :(

A reminder that King, the company that made Candy Crush, was bought by Activision for more than what Disney paid to buy Lucasfilm.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume most of those were platformers or Zelda clones of some kind. Maybe an adventure game if you're feeling really spicy.

IIRC, the tie-in game of Ballistics: Ecks vs Sever was an FPS. It was apparently better received than the movie but that's not exactly a high loving bar to clear. :v:

Ballistics was based on the game, I think.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This really does prove that if your movie is popular enough, you don’t need China to be succesful. Deadpool and Suicide Squad were two other movies that made a lot of money despite not being released there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

On the flipside of the China box office thing, Wolf Warriors 2 is a Chinese movie that came out in the middle of 2017 and grossed over 870 million worldwide, of which only 2.7 million was from the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqGiPB2D8M

Frank Grillo is the villain. Since he was in the Michael Bay-produced The Purge movies, I think there's good chance he's going to be starring in a Transformers movie soon to recapture that Chinese box office.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Yeah considering it's (still) 20th C. Fox, if the changes the studio wants aren't pants-on-head retarded I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Supposedly the movie tested good but not good enough, and when Fox saw Get Out and It they wanted the movie to be scarier.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yars Revenge sold a ton on account of its cover art being 100% dope as poo poo

Yes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

whydirt posted:

I'm pretty sure Corden's show only exists to make viral celebrity car karaoke videos

I read once that more people watch Carpool Karaoke videos on Youtube than his show. Now it spun off into its own thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

I feel like the winner of biggest bomb of 2017 would have to be Valerian, no?

It did get a lot of people fired at Europacorp, so it's definitely up there.

happyhippy posted:

Bumblebee most likely.

That movie received a 22 million tax break from California, and its budget is 70+ million already. Together with toy sales, it's not likely to be huge bomb.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Considering that they've established in the Transformers movies that the humans are already reverse-engineering the Transformers technology, a MASK movie would work as a bridge between the two franchises.

I think Hasbro did merge GI Joe and MASK too. There were GI Joe toys featuring MASK characters and vehicles.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Murphy should be a black cop this time. OCP tries to shut Robocop down when he starts arresting, and when they retaliate, killing racist cops and the people covering for them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Netflix in talks to acquire this year's Cloverfield 3.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-talks-acquire-cloverfield-sequel-paramount-1077752

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

No fun allowed

They did do concept art for the Muttigans for the first movie but to my knowledge the other stuff didn't make it in. I imagine it's difficult to keep things consistent in how the Hunger Games looks in the movies/ keep it grounded for normies.

Pffft, Emperor Karl Prosek of Chi-Town would have given them hands to wield knives and guns with. And skull armors of course.

Looks like a pretty sick design for a werewolf movie, though. Or the dog from Dragon Age.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Gerald's Game) is directing Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, the sequel to The Shining.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shi...son-1202270283/

It worked for The Phantom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

is that spaghetti bolognese? who the gently caress eats that at a fast food place

Pizza Hutt in my country has pretty good asian sauce spaghetti. Which are the only ones I eat because tomatoes make my joints swell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's why he challenges the Cloverfield monster to a basketball game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope the shocking thing he's talking about is the sequel hook, which takes place 700 years after the ending and shows a Catholic priest telling his cousin that her husband Muhammad is the new messiah.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Does "relaunch" mean no Will Smith?

Unfortunately, no Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill either.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Timby posted:

Between this and the F-Zero reading, we did not deserve Fragmaster.

Don't forget this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBjr8Bm_wA&t=626s

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If u were Kelsey Grammar you'd be self obsessed too

On the other hand, fellow Transformers actor Anthony Hopkins probably thinks you're a blowhard if you view acting as an important work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Prepare to get shafted.

https://twitter.com/isaachayes/status/959064919940452352