Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

banned from Starbucks posted:

is Jeepers Creepers 3 in the future?

It already came out! I got it from the Red Box, and still felt ripped off. It wasn't as fun as the first two.

I think it had a one day release in theaters, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I thought that it was some kinda cyber punk movie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Wasn't the Hays' Code responsible for how popular Western movies and TV shows were? I thought I'd read that somewhere, since part of the Code dictated that the law was to be upheld, and since Westerns, due to the time period, had looser interpretations of exactly how the law would be upheld (i.e., they could just shoot the bastard, instead of having him arrested).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

I hadn't heard about Westerns but the Hay's code absolutely why we have the Noir genre as it is. You can't show graphic violence or talk about sex openly so we got bitching shadow deaths and innuendo.

The Hay's Code was kinda garbage but it lead to some cool stuff.

I could very well be wrong about that. I don't even remember where I picked that up at; I could have just read the Code dictated following the law and just extrapolated from there. But, I doubt that; I'm not sharp enough for that kind of thing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a shitload more smaller superhero films on their way, Wikipedia's list of upcoming American superhero films shows that there's at least 60 films currently in some stage of production. Many of them probably won't get made but you can bet that a lot of them will, even if they end up being direct-to-DVD or VOD.

A loving Turok movie is coming out? Holy poo poo. I hope they take inspiration from The Mummy (Brendan Fraser version) and the first two games. They could do some wild poo poo with that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah lovely video game tie-ins have always been a thing

The ET Atari game was perhaps the pinnacle of low effort shoddy tie-ins but clearly no lessons were learned during that debacle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_films

What in the world do you do in the Porky's game? Or Little Nicky?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God, Kangaroo Jack was loving weird

I really don't know who that movie was for and I'm not sure the people who made it know either

I think it was supposed to be more adult originally, which explains some of the weirdness. I think. I haven't seen it in so long, I don't fully remember the weirdness.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

So RottenTomatoes have now declared Paddington 2 the best reviewed movie in the site's history, having received 167 fresh reviews without a rotten one.

I thought Toy Story 2 had done that already.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

See also: people who think Rapture from Bioshock is a good idea. They imagine themselves as Ryan, not the one stuck addicted to Plasmids.

Don't they always imagine themselves as someone on the top, instead of the bottom, where they so rightfully belong? It's like the people who want a zombie apocalypse; they picture themselves as the highly armed badass, not the zombie chow they'll likely be.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Or all the people on Reddit who unironically argue for Eugenics, but always in a way that they wouldn't be among those disposed of.

It's so easy to devise the master race when you're going to be part of it!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I missed it. My girlfriend was in the room, doing something else (assembling a puzzle, if you must know, because we are the oldest 31 year olds in existence) and she listened, not watched, and came to the conclusion. And, as I watched with that in mind, shot choices and details started to cast the film in a very different light.

I was telling a friend about that movie, after throwing it on one night, but I felt that jingoistic was a very apt description. Especially the scene where the British special forces guys are going to attack some bad guys, and Butler's all, "Not without me! I'm American, and you tossers can't do this without my massive red, white, and blue balls!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

That actor was also in the first one. He's the guy who yells 'I got his pigsticker!' before his hand explodes.

Hey, that's neat. I like the Blade movies and never knew that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think a FNAF movie could be really good. It's a basic concept, but one I think a lot of people can get behind; who hasn't looked at a lovely animatronic or mascot outfit and felt a slight unease about it (besides all of you already mentally prepping a response about how it never spooked you)?

The games definitely blew up in a way that nobody really expected, and the creator capitalized on that, but I think he did pretty good for himself. There's some creepy stuff in the backstory, definitely enough that Blumhouse and Columbus can craft a scary movie out of it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

The way they make FNaF:TM work is with some bullshit twist where the animatronics are inhabited by the souls of wronged children, and they're taking their ire out on the evil pizza owner.

That way they turn into beautiful shimmery ghosts at the end.

Then we find out it was 1986 the whole time, and the stinger post credits clip is the Bite of 87 implying Evilbad Pizzaman is now trapped in a robot fursuit.

I like this idea.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'd almost say the Bayformer movies are about the spectacle. They're big and loud, like July 4th fireworks; people go see them every year and ooh and aah over them, but later on, realize they've seen it before and it's not quite as exciting as it was at the time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Cameo posted:

He made that Chris Evans custody battle movie Gifted (no, I didn't remember it either) and creepy "I wish I could make The Graduate" swing-and-a-miss The Only Living Boy in New York.

Gifted wasn't too bad, though. It's definitely one of those feel-good cheesy movies, but it's not awful.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Get a Scottish guy pretending to be an ancient Spanish man and we are set

We'll get Mike Meyers, but now he's a Scottish Samoan.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

A lot of Joss Whedon stuff in the book too which they're probably glad right now they (apparently) didn't try to stick into the movie.

Was he involved in something recently? Or is this just general Joss sucks rear end?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'm honestly not that surprised to hear that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Honestly, with all the weird mitochondria stuff in Wrinkle in Time, it should just be the first movie of the Parasite Eve cinematic universe.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Jumanji 2 just had its 12th weekend in the top 10 and Last Jedi was only in the top 10 for 6 weekends. The Force Awakens was only in the top 10 for 10 weekends.

(Avatar was in the top 10 for 14 weekends, Avengers for 9 weekends, Jurassic World for 8 weekends)

People won't fuckin' stop buying tickets to Jumanji 2!!

It's still in theaters!? I just bought it on Vudu!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Fart City posted:

Wait, NDT? Did Neil deGrasse Tyson get popped for sex grossness too?

I think he's referring to how much of an rear end in a top hat Tyson can be.

Why hasn't the Mortal Kombat film franchise been rebooted? Give it some good budget, get some excellent fight choreography, good actors, and let them go nuts. I think that kind of film would do gangbusters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress yes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s actually even simpler than that: World’s failure is that it‘s about a theme park.

Go back to Jurassic Park 1 and note that you never actually see a theme park. With the exception of parts of the Visitor’s Center, the film takes place entirely in the areas that are off-limits to visitors. Even the famous introduction of the Brachiosaurs shows us Hammond being chauffeured from his private helipad, through one of the enclosures, by a park ranger in a utilitarian jeep. That’s not part of the tour - and the actual tour is shut down shortly after passing the front gate, before it even really begins.

Jurassic Park 1 is about everything around the park: paleontology, wildlife conservation, security systems, etc.

Jurassic World features zero paleontology, and a single line of dialogue about new invisible-fence technology - which doesn’t factor into the narrative at all, even though it’s the sole interesting new concept. Like, it’s just casually dropped that they don’t use fences anymore because all the animals are cyborgs whose behaviour is largely pre-programmed. But let’s ignore that and focus on what really matters: poo poo-quality family drama in a Six Flags with no rides.

Hey, this Six Flags has a Starbucks. What a zany observation.

What about the parts in front of the T-rex paddock? That's part of the tour.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

They pass two enclosures without seeing anything, and then the bulk of the scenes take place after the ride is cancelled due to bad weather.

Yeah, but you said

the film takes place entirely in the areas that are off-limits to visitors.

which had nothing to do with those two enclosures. They passed by them as part of the tour, which isn't off-limits to visitors.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Len posted:

I'm glad it's doing good because it looked good and fun from the initial trailers and everyone hated on it and then it came out and it was good and fun.

It would be neat if the sequel is just another type of game Jumanji takes the form of, like a RPG or card game.

Jumanji on a cribbage board, but the various holes they drop into when they score points each feature a different challenge.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What if they did the next Jumanji as an action game, in the vein of Devil May Cry or a Platinum title? I think it'd be an excellent excuse for ridiculous amounts of high style action.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Henker posted:

Still want to see a F&F movie where the family goes to Hell to challenge the Devil to a drag race for Paul Walker's soul. The Devil would definitely drive a big Ed Roth style hot rod.

The Devil would drive Grandpa Munster's Dragula.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

K. Waste posted:

So, for instance, the point of cutting away from the airport scene to the event as presented on the news - besides just being a very good joke

Legit question, how is that a joke? I thought it was a neat way to build tension and anticipation to finally seeing the big guy in action.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Godzilla 2014 would have been a much better movie if the human drama had a least been on par with, I dunno, War of the Worlds 2005 or The Mist.

Speaking of The Mist, has a Godzilla movie ever had a cult dedicated to Big G?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If the Doom movie could be John Wick level action sequences with demonic hordes and a plot to kill the biggest demon to close the gate, I think that'd be perfectly fine.

Give us some exposition in the vein of simple explanations as to what experiments are being run, how they went wrong, but encased in blood soaked battles.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Not that I know anything about this guy or his practices, but that sounds pretty much like what professional designers do too. In the concept art for the game SOMA, for instance, there's inserts with cropped pictures of the skin of drowned people or lacerations, for reference.

The designers for Dead Space looked up pictures of burn victims to help design the Necromorphs. It's a pretty effective tactic, since they are some horrible looking bastards.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Treasure Planet was the one I did go to see.

Speaking of early 2000s animated movies that weren't Disney or Dreamworks, does anyone remember Robots? I saw that in the cinema.

We had to take our daughter to the doctor yesterday, and they were playing that in the waiting room. It's not a bad movie, really.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Treasure Planet or Robots?

I remember Robots being pretty solid and Treasure Planet being one I wanted to like more than I actually did.

Robots. I had kind of forgotten Robin Williams was in that movie.

I saw Treasure Planet and Titan AE in theaters and I was surprised when I learned not everyone liked those movies. I thought they were pretty solid movies.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For all their faults, I thought that the Star Wars books had the scale of a galaxy down really well. In the books, the weeks long journeys through hyperspace are mentioned, as well as the sheer amount of planets that would be contained within an entire galaxy. The population is mentioned to be within the trillions, too, and the Republic has trouble getting to every planet within their jurisdiction, due solely to the sheer size of it all.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

How's the movie The Heat with her and Sandra Bullock?

Holy poo poo, it's awful. My wife loves it though, and even finds the restaurant scene funny.

You know, the one where a guy is choking, so they do a tracheotomy on the guy, and afterwards, the EMT just tells them to not do that next time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-spinoffs-obi-wan-characters/

From what I've read here, and like had been recently discussed, Star Wars might be getting more character spin off movies. Obi-Wan, I can see; Boba Fett, why not? Yoda? Sure, why not, let's have a movie about him on Dagobah, maybe about conquering his darkness in that spooky cave.

But loving Jabba the Hutt? Who would give a poo poo about that? Why would you? Jabba is a supporting character, at best. I get that they'll make tons of money from Star Wars, but they've gotta learn how to calm the gently caress down on the movies.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

8one6 posted:

After the first Jurassic World came out I tried to figure out the logistics of war raptors and even if you pretend they would only cost as much as a dog to train they still don't make any sense compared to just mounting guns on tracked drones. Raptors would be expensive to feed, cost about as much as a human soldier to armor, and I can't believe that they would be cheap to buy in the first place.

As a psychological tactic, a loving dinosaur would be a pretty strong route to go. Taking cover from a hovering machine of death is one thing, but having to try and hide from a creature that's intelligent, vicious, and trained to seek out your blood is another. Getting something that's thinking and feeling to hunt you is going to be more intimidating than a cold machine that won't eat your flesh afterward.

I guess. I don't know why I'm trying to develop a justification here.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think an anthology series set like the Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales of Jabba's Palace, etc., could be really good stuff. Let different people explore the Star Wars universe, through different characters, situations, all the different walks of life; this episode is about a Gand hunting an Aqualish serial killer, this one is about the political intrigue of Corellian ambassadors trying to prevent civil war, this one is a procedural on Coruscant.

There are unlimited stories and planets you could use for Star Wars stories; why limit yourself to war and rebellions, when there are ten thousand other things you can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

That's exactly what Clone Wars is. It's an anthology of tales that take place during the titular wars that follow different stories, different characters, different tones and scopes, different aspects of the conflict from all levels. Each 1-3 episodes is exactly what you're describing, it just has the connnective tissue of the Clone Wars rather than Star Wars as a whole.

I thought that one was about Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars. I watched some of it, and I remember different Jedi being featured prominently, but that was a few years ago, so I might be misremembering.

That show is streaming on Netflix, right? I might check it out again, because that sounds good to me.