Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading that Sony were so confident that the Emoji Movie would be such an enormous hit for them that it would restore enough clout for them to renegotiate more favourable terms for their arrangement with Disney regarding the use of Spider-Man in Marvel movies or something like that.

Don't know if that "millennial outreach" guy who proposed that Spider-Man should be a snapchatting, EDM-listening, tough muddering vegan for whom everything was N.B.D. was involved in reaching this conclusion, but he very well could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently that Freddie Mercury biopic that they've been working on for about 10 years at this point will be out on Christmas Day this year. I wonder when they'll announced it's being pushed back to 2020?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

Wait, how many movies now have been called 2:22/222

https://willowsoul.com/blogs/numbers/3-reasons-why-you-are-seeing-222-the-meaning-of-222

For starters we have Room 222 the sitcom from back in the last century

221b Baker Street (missed it by that much, 222 must have been across the street)

And several movies; some pretty recent.

Numerologists or whatever are weird.

I believe it's also the title the little known direct-to-dvd prequel to the Jim Carrey movie The Number 23.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what movies I'm looking forward to this year. I go to the cinema maybe twice a year (I went three times in 2017, but two of those times were to see the same movie) and don't imagine I'll be adjusting that habit in 2018. Looking at the list of things coming out, I think it's going to depend entirely on whether advertising piques my interest or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact about the original Cleopatra (with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton): it's the only movie that was the highest-grossing release of its year which ran at a loss.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hamsystem posted:

I just want The Predator to be good and I'll consider 2018 a success.

I would rather see Shane Black getting onto the Doc Savage movie with Dwayne Johnson he's been talking about for about five years now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I've come to accept that it's never happening. Not because it would take too long, but because I feel like Johnson refuses to work with any script that isn't as 4-quadrant as possible. Or at least catering to a 14-year-old audience. While the only audience for Doc Savage is weirdos like me who collect pulp paperbacks.

I live in hope that one day, someone will make a movie version of Crimson Skies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They did, but they merged it with the “live-action Fleischer Superman without Superman” movie and no one saw it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Wcg5m34fw

I like more of that movie than I dislike.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I saw it, and I loved it. When I was 16. I refuse to rewatch it today because of how vehemently people with taste dislike it.

Though who knows, I might still might dig it. It can't be all that much worse than the average 40s paperback I pick up because it has a cool cover.

Fun fact: it's the only movie its director has directed and I'm pretty sure he wrote his own Wikipedia page.

I think it actually got fairly decent reviews.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never saw it in theaters, but I watched it last year for the first time.

I really wanted to like it. :smith:

When I was little, I got super hyped for big stupid action movies, then never saw them in the cinema.

One of them was Wild Wild West with Will Smith.

I know exactly how you feel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

I think I read an interview with him where he was like, "Yeah there was a lot of excitement at the time. The movie maybe didn't do amazing but I met a lot of executives and producers who seemed enthusiastic, but I sort of lost momentum afterward. I really should have tried to keep in touch more, I'm not very good at networking." It was kind of sad but really honest.

I found this write-up from a couple of years ago.

Illustrative excerpt:

quote:

“Kerry and I were so intimidated we went and sat at a separate table. We didn’t know what to do! They all turned around, almost en masse, and were like, ‘What are you idiots doing over there? Get over here!’ Then I’m sitting next to Robert Zemeckis.”

Conran laughs, but then goes quiet for a few seconds and sighs. “Much to my eternal embarrassment we never stayed in touch with any of those guys.”

This may be part of what kept the Conrans out of the Hollywood playground, their inability and discomfort with hustling or acting as if they belong. The brothers have never been good at self-promotion. In a New York Times interview from the set of Sky Captain, the reporter noted that the first two things Kerry said to him were, “I’m shy” and “I am basically an amorphous blob of nothing”.

It also talks a lot about how Sky Captain broke a lot of ground for the use of digital backlots which are now used on every big tentpole movie. It was interesting to note that the Conran brothers were sure they could make the movie on a budget of $3-4 million, which is probably unrealistic (that probably wouldn't have paid for the cast they got) but if it had been a $20 million budgeted movie and made the same amount (about $50 million), even that would've been a different story. Another extract from that article says:

quote:

As much as the big budget movies have taken the techniques the Conrans developed, still very few people have really done what they set out to do: eradicate the need for giant budgets on fantasy films. Their plan was not to make things better for James Cameron or George Lucas, it was to give opportunity to the guys nobody had heard of – guys like them – and to have moviemaking be restricted only by your imagination not your bank balance.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 3, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when whichever studio wanted the Ridley Scott movie from a few years ago to be the start of the Robin Hood Shared Cinematic Universe?

Crossing over (presumably after Little John: A Merry Men Story, Will Scarlet: A Merry Men Story, Guy of Gisborne: Origins, Friar Tuck: Back In the Habit etc.) with... I don't know, Ivanhoe probably?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I think you've mixed up your facts. Ridley Scott's film was always meant to be a standalone, this film is the one that's meant to start a cinematic universe—though they've now pulled back on their plans. Cinematic universes weren't even a thing beyond Marvel when Scott's film came out.

I've probably confused them. I heard about someone wanting to make a Robin Hood cinematic universe and assumed it was the Ridley Scott one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Tin Tin is underseen, not underappreciated; the people who have seen it tend to really like it. But I also think it's vastly overrated by them.

It seems to get a pass mostly because it's fun, and because it's Spielberg returning to adventure films and it looks strong in comparison to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But anything would. As much of screenwriting darlings as they are, Moffat, Wright, and Cornish delivered a script that leans heavily on coincidence, logic jumps, and massive suspension of disbelief. It's devoid of well-rounded characters, and Andy Serkis delivers one of the most obnoxious performances I've ever witnessed. But the action's good and it has a lot of momentum, so people do silly things like call it criminally underappreciated.

I thought Serkis was fine as Haddock but a lot of his speeches are incredibly Moffat. I only watched the movie recently (and before that was only really familiar with Tintin via the animated series from the 90s, which still has one of my favourite opening theme sequences for a cartoon, particularly those first 20 seconds) and a lot of Haddock's stuff sounded so much like the stuff he wrote for Peter Capaldi in Doctor Who.

Other than Haddock's speeches, what parts do we think are Moffat and which parts are Wright and Cornish?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember that "historically accurate" King Arthur movie from about 15 years ago with Clive Owen as Arthur? Didn't that have a sequel, or was it just a dvd that used the same design as the poster to the first one to trick you into thinking it was one?

Also, the thing that's bugged me about that movie since I saw it is how Lancelot is the narrator, but then he dies in the final battle, and continues narrating what happened next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

I was going to say, wasn't there another "historically accurate" Arthur movie coming out not much later, with Colin Firth as Arthur?

Yeah, that was The Last Legion which I'm pretty sure is the one I'm thinking of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stellan Skarsgard plays a Saxon warlord but if I recall correctly he does this weird semi-Texan accent because he was really angry with Dubya at the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holdover from 2017: The Last Jedi is expected to do badly in China (where Star Wars has never been the world-conquering franchise it is everywhere else), which combined with its slowdown in North America may yet vindicate my expectation that it won't be the number one movie for 2017.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I was five, I saw the trailer for Cutthroat Island on TV but then I never saw the movie itself, so when Pirates of the Caribbean came out about seven years later, I thought that it was the same thing and there'd just been a really, really long gap between the trailer and the movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Unfortunately for this holdover post from 2017, The Last Jedi Is already officially the number one movie of 2017, 2018 started five days ago so it's set in stone.

https://takealook.tv/2018/01/01/the-last-jedi-is-the-number-one-movie-of-2017-after-three-weeks/

The number one movie domestically; it's still only number three worldwide.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Enos Cabell posted:

Why do you care so much? This is like your tenth post in here about it.

I don't really care about how it does but I admit that I'm much too stubborn about wanting to be arbitrarily proved "right". :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well it was more that the script for Entrapment was changed after he was cast so that he didn't hook up with Zeta Jones anymore and he was gravely offended.

Entrapment is a movie where they rewrote the second half without changing the first half, isn't it? I feel like it must be.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stuff like The Room and Neil Breen movies and to an extent Birdemic are only notable because there's one guy behind them who earnestly believes they're making great stuff. Conversely, something like Ben & Arthur hasn't had the longevity because the guy who made it is proud to have done it but acknowledges that it was awful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Biggest movie in terms of money made this year... I'm going to go out on a limb and say Avengers 3.

Don't really see Jurassic Park or (lol) Solo doing it. I reckon Black Panther will do better than both of those movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ALFbrot posted:

I am excited that you have weighed in with a guess, and breathlessly await your continued, smugly satisfied tracking of money pouring into different partitions of mega-corporation coffers

I'll try not to disappoint.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: dang, Solo is being released 3 weeks after Avengers 3 and one week before Deadpool 2 (and a month before Jurassic World 2). That's a whole bunch of big budget effects-laden action/adventure romps about quippy anti-heroes-with-a-heart-of-gold and so far the only thing that distinguishes Solo from the pack is that it had a whole bunch of lovely behind the scenes dramas which forced them to reshoot half of it.

And a fortnight before Incredibles 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't that a Pixar thing for a while where they'd have completely unique trailers with footage that wasn't in the movie?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

A lot of trailers do that.

Sure, but I feel like I remember it being a thing Pixar movies did enough for a while that it was like one of their trademarks.

Dreamworks stuff - Antz and Shrek and Shark Tale - didn't do it that I can recall.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always liked their outtakes and was disappointed when they stopped doing them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm amazed nobody has tried a Modesty Blaise since the DTV one from about 15 years ago ("presented by" Quentin Tarantino!) where she has the stiffest fight ever with Jaime Lannister.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I kinda like that Lando and/or Han apparently made substantial modifications to the Falcon. I don’t think Solo will be dogshit, I just think it’ll be safe and predictable with a couple flashes of Lord & Miller that keep it about average. But then again, I’m a huge Han and Lando fan and probably the closest thing to a Disney shill on this dead comedy forum. :shrug:

All it needs to be is Indiana Jones by way of Lethal Weapon (or maybe Lethal Weapon by way of Indiana Jones - for whatever reason, Lethal Weapon has always reminded me a lot of Indiana Jones).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which RLM guy is the one who has the really annoying laugh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was kind of funny to me that Paddington was the movie my dad was most looking forward to the year it came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

Fox is cutting Disney off at the knees by moving Deadpool up to the week before Solo. Very ballsy, I think they’re hoping Infinity War has similar legs to SW8 and by two weeks later people will be looking for something else, ala Jumanji.

Certainly makes May a pretty crowded month for big movies, though it will probably help Deadpool the most. Wonder if Disney will finally bite the bullet and push Solo back to December now?

At this point, Solo will probably be lucky to make back its budget, let alone turn a profit. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

December is pretty crowded itself, with a Spider-Man, a Transformers and a DC movie.

December's also got Mary Poppins 2 which will probably be rubbish but all those Disney live-action movies that are either sequels to or remakes of their classics have been really big the last few years.

Lots of pretty big movies (or movies that look like they should be big) this year, just going down the list on Wikipedia. I wonder what the big losers other than Solo among the blockbusters will be.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

How'd your predictions about The Last Jedi's box office turn out?

Admittedly not 100% correctly, but I think it still might not be number one for 2017. However, if I am completely wrong, I will have to retire from my foray into box office predictions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There is absolutely zero chance it won't take the #1 spot for 2017

Frankly, I have no idea why I decided to nail my colours to this particular mast in the first place. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's not too late to change your mind before it becomes official!!

Alternatively, you could dig in even further and :toxx: me over it :v:

I think it's because of how big the numbers are. When you put it in terms of "$1.2 billion" then I instantly see the 1.2 and gloss over the billion; that's a huge amount of money but "1.2 billion" doesn't feel as big to me as if you said "1200 million". Therefore, when I look at the numbers and see that it needs about $40 million or so to finish up as number one for 2017, I instantly see the 40 and think, "There's no way there's 40 million left in the world for this movie to earn."

I probably got a bit carried away with the whole "TLJ is a flop" narrative a bit too easily (I got a lot of my commentary from the Forbes website, where they have a movie writer who liked TLJ and spins all the figures positively, and another movie writer who disliked TLJ and spins the exact same numbers negatively), when I knew rationally that it was never going to be as big as Force Awakens because that movie over-performed its expectations.

I think box office numbers like this are very interesting because I think they're the best barometer of what people are going to see and what's really popular, but as I've evidently demonstrated, I'm not much good with numbers, so I go with what the most convincing expert has to say and I'm probably too quick to believe them.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe it's Bumblebee: A Transformers Story next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It made over $600 million worldwide which must be hugely disappointing for them because the previous two films in the franchise made over a billion each.

Not just that; Age of Extinction was the only movie in 2014 to gross over a billion dollars and became the number one movie of the year.