Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

2017 came and went and to be frank, just wasn't that good of a year for movies. There were plenty of diamonds in the rough, but overall the quality was just down. It was a bad year for everything else, and that meant even trying to escape the badness with mindless fantasy was a failure due to the poor quality of things to run off to. That meant a lot of things doing bad in the box office and studios scrambling to try to understand what was going wrong, none figuring out that the problem was the movies were bad. This was all in the midst of Disney continuing to snatch every franchise they can get their mouse paws on. Soon the entire box office will be Disney, and to criticize them will be a federal crime. But until that day when this thread is posted on a pirate BBS, we'll celebrate the bad and hope for the good!

First The Hall of Shame!

Unnecessary Sequels\Reboots - Too many sequels disguised as reboots to not make them part of the title

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - Like the pirates in the first film, this franchise is cursed to walk the Earth for all time, but at least US audiences have tired
Production Budget: $230 million
Box Office: $172 million

Despicable Me 3 - Everyone loves Minions and if you don't the Minions will get you!
Production Budget: $80 million
Box Office: $264 million

Cars 3 - Pixar needed another cash infusion of toy sales to fund their other films and I'm perfectly fine with paying the Cars tax every few years for more Inside Outs and Cocos
Production Budget: $175 million
Box Office: $152 million

Fifty Shades Darker - The male lead stalks the heroine into love and then nothing else happens the entire movie except a helicopter crash that is quickly ignored
Production Budget: $55 million
Box Office: $114 million

Daddy's Home 2 - Mel Gibson is back, baby!
Production Budget: $69 million
Box Office: $102 million

Blade Runner 2049 - This did bad at the box office despite being freaking awesome and one of my favorite films of the year. Blank checks given to good directors is a thing that will pay off cultural dividends even if it doesn't give monetary gain.
Production Budget: ~$165 million
Box Office: $91 million

Flatliners - Bet you didn't remember this was in 2017 until you saw it here.
Production Budget: $19 million
Box Office: $16 million

Pitch Perfect 3 - I guess we got to finish up this franchise. The Bellas all did that "Feeling too old for this" thing that action franchises do when their stars are pushing 60 but everyone here is canonically 23 so that was weird. Also John Lithgow is in it.
Production Budget: $45 million
Box Office: $67 million

Alien: Covenant - Sometimes not knowing things is better than knowing things, nerds.
Production Budget: $97 million
Box Office: $74 million

Baywatch - How a Baywatch movie was bad when 21 Jump Street gave them a perfect blueprint to follow, I'll never know.
Production Budget: $69 million
Box Office: $58 million

The Dark Tower - Another failure that killed a franchise, which is now in a Schroedinger's box of maybe a tv series or movie reboot but maybe nothing again.
Production Budget: $60 million
Box Office: $50 million

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage - Sure we killed him off in a short as revenge for abandoning the franchise, but he's back, baby! ::looks at box office:: Let's kill him off in a short again!
Production Budget: $85 million
Box Office: $44 million

Ghost in the Shell - This film generated plenty of casting controversy but failed to generate money at the box office
Production Budget: $110 million
Box Office: $40 million

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - Guy Richie's film got rave reviews from a small segment of the audience and a loud hissing noise from the rest. Then no one else bothered with it.
Production Budget: $175 million
Box Office: $39 million

Underworld: Blood Wars - Underworld became an underground franchise by how few people bothered to go see it.
Production Budget: $81.1 million
Box Office: $30 million

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature - What to say about a movie that aggressively taunts you with things that mean ejaculation in the title?
Production Budget: $40 million
Box Office: $28 million

Rings - More Rings, less box office
Production Budget: $25 million
Box Office: $27.8 million

The Fate of the Furious - I can't believe my favorite super heroes whose powers are cars franchise is going downhill, but it is. Also internal feuding has delayed the next one at least another year, while maybe fake but maybe not feuding caused drama in this one behind the scenes.
Production Budget: $250 million
Box Office: $225 million

Junk that deserved better - They aren't failures but just sad, though YMMV

Justice League - A hybrid film with multiple directors/visions, massive reshoots, a star with a CGIed face due to WB being a failure at contract negotiations, a generic villain, a great supporting cast that's partially wasted, and a legacy of bad movies that lead to a film with the most iconic movie characters together being dunked on by Thor 3 at the box office.
Production Budget: $300 million
Box Office: $226 million

The LEGO Batman Movie - Too much of the joy of The Lego Movie was sapped away, and while this wasn't terrible, it was just disappointing for not living up to a legacy of greatness
Production Budget: $80 million
Box Office: $175 million

The LEGO Ninjago Movie - Wait, there was another Lego movie in 2017? A movie so bland I forgot about it!
Production Budget: $70 million
Box Office: $59 million

The Boss Baby - This didn't fail at the box office but in our hearts, for how could something like this do so well?
Production Budget: $125 million
Box Office: $175 million

Murder on the Orient Express - What can I say about this film? Serious question because it is just bland. The controversy of someone being mad online because the Orient Express had no Asian people in it was more memorable than the film itself.
Production Budget: $55 million
Box Office: $100 million

The Great Wall - Matt Damon battles CGI in ancient China
Production Budget: $150 million
Box Office: $45 million

Bright - Orc Cop and Will Smith in a film written by an obnoxious jerk who assaults women, critics panned it so fast it just got more views, good job!
Production Budget: $90 million
Box Office: NetFlix, baby!

Insane failures - Movies you will still be talking about years from now

The Book of Henry - This is my nominee for movie of the year, a movie so ridiculous, so insane, it got the director fired from a major tentpole production and spawned a ton of awesome breakdowns of just how crazy this movie is.
Production Budget: $10 million
Box Office: $4.2 million

Monster Trucks - a film delayed forever that should have been this generation's ET but instead became Eh...
Production Budget: $125 million
Box Office: $33 million

Geostorm - A completely nuts film from start to finish that even fails to be completely nuts enough
Production Budget: $120 million
Box Office: $33 million

Jeepers Creepers 3 - Somehow in 2017, the year all the sex scandals broke, a child molester got to direct another film
Production Budget: Couldn't find it online
Box Office: $2.3 million (very limited release)

Transformers: The Last Knight - Transformers tripled down on the insanity for a film so weird even audiences said "Enough!", but not after giving them way too much money!
Production Budget: $217 million
Box Office: $130 million

The Emoji Movie - Let's ape The Lego Movie but without any of the heart! Also the star is now revealed to be a rapist
Production Budget: $50 million
Box Office: $86 million

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - This had the potential to be amazing but instead somehow was lifeless despite looking visually amazing. Will be rediscovered and studied for years, but for now it is jus the subject of lawsuits.
Production Budget: $177 million
Box Office: $41 million

The Mummy - Not every film can be so bad it kills off an entire universe, but The Mummy is one of the few films that can claim that title! RIP Dark Universe (2017-2017)
Production Budget: $125-195 million (that is a big gap, hm....)
Box Office: $80 million

The Snowman - Mr. Director you could have saved this movie, I gave you all the clues. Mainly a script that you didn't bother to finish. But that script also sucked, so maybe there was no saving this movie. I withdraw my complaint.
Production Budget: $35 million
Box Office: $6.6 million

Shamebreakers that gained fame - Hey, not everything terrible was terrible!

Colossal - A monster movie about abusive relationships? So weird yet so good!
Production Budget: $15 million
Box Office: $3 million

Girls Trip - What seemed like a Bridesmaids copy turned into a film with almost universal praise!
Production Budget: $27.7 million
Box Office: $139 million

Bleeding Steel - Jackie Chan battles cyborg goths in a star destroyer over magic blood in a film so ridiculous I can't help but love it and to convince others to see it!
Production Budget: Couldn't find
Box Office: Couldn't find

And now, the Films of 2018 that may destroy us all! (at least until some of them get delayed)

The Commuter - Liam Neeson gets Taken by a moral dilemma on a train.

Condorito: La Pelicula - an animated movie about a bird man and his nephew who try and rescue the mother of the woman he wants to date from aliens. This was already released in South America so there's a chance someone here has seen it. Based on a popular comic character.

12 Strong - Patriotic: The Movie

Fifty Shades Freed - the final chapter promises that something might possibly happen in this installment, but the pun about climaxes from the trailer might be better than the actual film.

The 15:17 to Paris - literally the first synopsis of this movie I saw just said "terrorism". I hope that's not a description of the film's quality...

Peter Rabbit - This seems widely divergent from the actual stories but almost brilliant in that way, then it becomes Bunny Home Alone. Maybe good?

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - At least this franchise gets its final entry, much delayed due to the star getting hit by a car, and it sounds like they are merging the last two books or something. Probably dull but not a freak show.

Samson - He's strong as hell and has long hair, thrill as Samson beats up a bunch of guys with a jawbone but then gets a haircut because of women and loses all his manliness.

Alpha - A caveboy and his cavedog. Doesn't really look that bad, but I've only seen one trailer once and no promotion anywhere so not sure how this one will shake out.

Death Wish - this movie gets more and more tone deaf the higher the police body count becomes

A Wrinkle In Time - a 9-figure big budget feature with a diverse cast that could be a gigantic mess or could be secretly awesome. Potentially one of the most divisive films of the year. I want this to be good even though I didn't really care for the book as a child.

Tomb Raider - Bland action adventures are all the rage but maybe this will break the mold. Thank goodness for MoviePass! Maybe someone will remake Womb Raider now...

a horror film that still doesn't have a title yet - Titles are for closers, and this fits multiple horror films coming out this year, so I'll just give them one single entry for convenience sake!

I Can Only Imagine - Christian films have expanded to not just be about Jesus or court trials about Jesus, but now about songs about Jesus.

Sherlock Gnomes - Seems uninteresting except Johnny Depp is Sherlock Gnomes so suddenly it seems way more horrifying

Pacific Rim 2 - As much as I want this to be good, it could easily not be at all. Please be good!

God's Not Dead 3 - The rumors of God's death are greatly exaggerated again for the third time

Ready Player One - The worst book in the history of Western Literature gets an adaptation by one of the best directors in what will probably be a gigantic clusterfuck with lots of reaction shots, but at least it will be well directed! Now excuse me while I get in my flying Speed Racer car with Tron wheels and Enterprise Computer Voice I got from Planet Roddenberry.

Paul, Apostle of Christ - He wasn't even one of the main apostles, he came later well after Jesus was dead and wrote a lot of letters with sections people use to justify bad things. Honestly that's probably more why this got funded than anything else!

Blockers - A movie with a premise so bad the trailer criticizes it, Blockers sees a group of parents trying to keep their teen daughters from having sex despite openly admitting they had sex at that age. Also there is butt chugging.

Chappaquiddick - A big budget film version of the email forward your uncle keeps sending you despite Teddy Kennedy being dead and buried for almost a decade now. Also he should have been ruined over this incident.

Overboard - Amnesia rape slavery is back in gender-swapped form!

Rampage - this looks like corny fun in the sun!

Super Troopers 2 - the sequel to this finally comes out, but will Broken Lizard finally be unbroken at the box office?

Selfie Dad - There is a Christian movie called Selfie Dad coming out and why do I just think of those dad gimmick twitter accounts?

Tully - Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody? Charlize Theron and Mark Duplass? I don't know what to think with this one

Solo: A Star Wars Story - Fired directors, massive reshoots, major part recasting, and almost no promotional material. This sure sounds like a mess in the making. Prove me wrong, movie!

Ocean's 8 - Girls just want to have cons

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Dinosaurs vs. Volcano would have been a better title and a better movie. Maybe the new director will give this some personality.

I Feel Pretty - Amy Schumer gets a head injury and thinks that she's hot. The thinkpieces just write themselves after that!

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation - Sure, why not?

Alita: Battle Angel - Why does she have big eyes? Why does she have big eyes? WHY DOES SHE HAVE BIG EYES??????

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! - Okay, it's now Canon that Baby Driver is set in the Mamma Mia universe. Cher is grandma so maybe we'll get some good things from it.

The Meg - I'll be in theaters watching this and still doubt it will ever get released. Gianter shark movie that has big shoes (fins?) to fill if it wants to live up to Shark Attack 3!

Scarface - Surprise! Remaked again for a new generation to have a different poster on their wall in their dorms!

Barbie - This still has a release date?? Not confident at all this will get released but who knows at this point.

The Happytime Murders - Hell! Yeah! Can't! Wait!

Robin Hood - I keep forgetting we're getting a new Robin Hood and audiences probably will, too.

Venom - a Spider-Man-less Spider-Man movie. Yep.

The Girl in the Spider's Web - Is this a sequel or a reboot or what? Is an adaptation of the book written after the author died with no returning cast so who knows.

Dark Phoenix - The X-Men movies last hurrah before devoured by the maw of Disney, starring the most boring actress of the current reboot crop and retelling a story the franchise already did. I don't have much excitement for this one.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Disney has come to crack your nuts

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch - The world needs a prequel to The Grinch because of, um... yeah!

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - a great movie if you want to see J.K. Rowling defend Johnny Depp on twitter. Otherwise the prior film was only saved by the supporting characters and things might be diminishing returns at this point.

Aquaman - he was not-terrible in Justice League so maybe?

Bumblebee - They got one thing right:

Mary Poppins Returns - Rich kids need all the help they can get

Prior threads:

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Just cause movies are good doesn't mean they aren't considered failures, I loved the new Blade Runner and it will probably stick with me more than anything else this year, but many people didn't bother so it still makes the list.

CelticPredator posted:

2017 was a pretty good year for movies.

2017 was bad for movies, it feels better because of the end of the year dump of good movies, but even the more reliable franchises were bad and the less reliable ones were worse, and there were long stretches without much very good going on. Marvel movies are making top ten lists from movie snobs who spend all their time bashing Marvel films, that's how bad 2017 was.

FCKGW posted:

I think you forgot we got two Lego movies last year with Lego Ninjago stinking up the screens in September.
Dang, completely blanked on the other Lego movie!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember reading that Sony were so confident that the Emoji Movie would be such an enormous hit for them that it would restore enough clout for them to renegotiate more favourable terms for their arrangement with Disney regarding the use of Spider-Man in Marvel movies or something like that.

Don't know if that "millennial outreach" guy who proposed that Spider-Man should be a snapchatting, EDM-listening, tough muddering vegan for whom everything was N.B.D. was involved in reaching this conclusion, but he very well could have been.

lol I hope this is true!

AdmiralViscen posted:

How did Justice League escape the unnecessary reboots list? It got rebooted while it was filming lol
Wasn't sure where to put it because it was basically a huge mess before the whole tragedy thing made it a completely different movie, but somehow it wasn't nearly as bad as Batman v Superman, so that's something.

Rirse posted:

Yeah I liked the Lego Batman Movies...shouldn't it be the Lego Ninjago movie that was the weird one that failed to capture the charm of the Lego Movie? Also where is Tom & Jerry Meets Willy Wonka on the list?

I mostly left out direct to video stuff (except for Bright because it's basically a big budget film with a weird distribution model) because otherwise I'd have to list 20 Lifetime movies and like 100 Hallmark Christmas movies. And I don't think the Willy Wonka toon will reach Foodfight! levels of notoriety in the future. Unfortunately I'm way behind on Lifetime film watching in 2017 so can't give a good balanced look on which movie about crazy relatives or internet murders is the best. My vote is Double Mommy probably has the best weird premise of 2017 (she's pregnant with twins, but one is a rape baby and the rapist wants to kill her and the baby to cover his tracks!)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there a Netflix movie released this yearthat the Netflix twitter just flat asking why someone keeps rewatching it?

Yeah, A Christmas Prince, and some of them were kids who just rewatch the same movies they like day after day because that's what kids do.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

DoctorWhat posted:

Lego Ninjago got a theatrical release I thought?

Yeah I just plumb forgot it, I'll add it later tonight. Anyone see it, does it reference the other Lego movies or is it just the story from the tv series like I thought I heard?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The in production for years Cleopatrais getting a makeover, Game of Thrones-style. David Scarpa is scripting and Denis Villeneuve is directing.

quote:

"Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all of that other stuff and just treat it as a two-hour, lean, mean political thriller, full of assassinations. Just going the opposite direction from the way we think that movie is going to go."

He also said that his version of Cleopatra could offer a more feminist look at the Egyptian queen: "There have been so many narratives of Cleopatra that have all been framed through the eyes of men," Scarpa said. "The entire history of that period is framed through the eyes of men, specifically Roman men. And the idea was we’re gonna approach it through her point of view."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/01/02/dirty-bloody-lots-sex-denis-villeneuves-cleopatra-will-rip-hollywoods/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Skycaptain is one of those movies that I should love with all my heart yet it just keeps falling flat.

Wild Wild West is one of those movies that is just a perfect storm of badness that it transcends it into some sort of art. Not good art, but it is something people still talk about decades later while Skycaptain falls into the dustbin. So it's something.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: If they're going to have a bad movie this year it will probably be Infinity War. It's a sequel to Age of Ultron, one of the lesser films in the series, and the first one has been ecclipsed by "smaller" movies too. Civil War was good but was right on the cusp of having too many heroes in it. They're working with a lot of margin for error here.
Avengers 3 and 4 will be a sequel to everything. Everybody will be in those movies, and if the set photos are true there will be flashbacks so even people who are dead could show up. They've delayed announcing the new slate partially because it may spoil who gets out of the films (and probably partially because they had multiple proposals based on which properties they got the rights to or not)

Casimir Radon posted:

The lady in Civil War confronts Stark about stuff that happened in AoU, which really was his gently caress up. A lot of the other motivations were forced but he messed up really bad with Ultron.

Yeah, he was finally dealing with the consequences of his actions and was all alone because of his split with his girl, and increasingly frustrated trying to hold the one constant thing that he accomplished the was doing good in the world together. Meanwhile his new best friend is distrustful of authority over his actions due to the prior film where he found out the last authority was corrupted from within by nazi parasite, his old best friend gets crippled, every action he's tried to take to save the Avengers has just helped make things worse, and he finds out that his parents were murdered, the murderer is right in front of him, and his friend knew about it for years and didn't tell him.

But as stated a lot of the problems could have been solved if they had just talked to each other, instead it becomes all forced because people make decisions without telling anyone. Many of the characters are blaring hypocrites in the most hilarious way, Black Panther literally leaves the meeting where they announce the accords were signed that he supported to dress up in a costume and become a vigilante with no accord authority. Sure, his father was just murdered, but everyone bends the rules to do whatever they want the entire film and even the heroes that get caught are broken out in a few days. The conflict was too manufactured and Winter Soldier is a superior film, but everything so far out of Infinity War looks fun. And the trailer actually used the score effectively instead of using a pop song like every other trailer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Not having the final battle be Tony and Cap versus a bunch of super soldier serum powered goons thanks to that last swerve

Barring everything else (which I agree with), this alone is the best reason of why this film works, and is one of dozens of reasons Batman v Superman doesn't

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Here are more from the twitter -

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

got any sevens posted:

Jaime foxx? Did they keep the Azeem character? Also lmao those costumes look so clean

Jamie Foxx is Little John, not sure if he's going to be Moor or if they are just not having a Moor character in this one. It's becoming a tradition though every studio has to roll their own as he's not public domain like every other character.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Disney's Zombies tv musical will air Februrary 16th on Disney Channel, it has the same plot as Descendants except they are zombies instead of legacies of iconic Disney characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQ1CftS6Vw

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Zoms vs Poms is a struggle of intergalactic proportions

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

He's anti-milk and movies with scenes involving milk

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

"This video contains content from Shout! Factory, LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." Brie even stole the video in America!

EDIT: Here is the official trailer for America from Shout! Factory who hates trailer reuploads, I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-QLWNlTas

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

lol that movie was finished 4 years ago then sat on the shelf until Shout picked it up cheap

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The worst part of that King Arthur movie is I remember being excited to go see it years ago and then it was terrible and yet her running around in blue with a bow and arrow was one of the highlights.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I'm not going to get fully mad until we find out if they are extras or like stunt people or something.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

There are ways to digitally darken people but I don't know if it is cheaper just to use makeup now or edit stuff later and risk it looking bad. We need more information but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Godzilla the Anime will be on NetFlix January 17th. I haven't watched anime since Akira was released, but have now watched a few episodes of Samurai Pizza Cats to prepare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3do2pM4pM

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Nerd theories are just fan fiction written by people who think writing fan fiction is girly

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well who is the breakout new merchandise object or character for Solo? It's not like people will say "You know, I want interested in the millennium falcon before, but NOW I gotta have one!"

That's the weird thing, there has been like nothing so far. We got Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, and Paul Bettany as new characters that we've not even seen, plus Han, Chewie, and Lando, yet the hype train hasn't left the station.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have four words for Solo

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

https://twitter.com/thespencerperry/status/949774355004870657

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

lol that merch has the leaked poster Disney lied about being authentic

Deadpool 2 is not dropping sexual assault and woman punching enthusiast TJ Miller

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/deadpool-2-tj-miller-not-recast-sexual-abuse-allegations-1201915211/

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Obviously there is a scene where the arms open and close like pac-man's mouth as the Falcon gobbles up space pills

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The film ends with Han going "Well that was exciting but let's lay low for a while, I know a quiet little Cantina where we should be able to avoid trouble."

In the Star Wars deleted scenes there is a shot with a lady at Han's table, I'm guessing they'll basically end with that scene and Game of Thrones lady is her, she gets up and leaves as Pondo Baba's arm is being lopped off in the background. Queue the back of familiar character's heads and maybe a bad CGI Luke says "Hope" for some random reason.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvrmWijW2A

Hellraiser: Judgment trailer

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Paddington movies get near universal praise yet no respect, they are the Rodney Dangerfield of talking bear movies

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Gore Verbinski is out as Gambit director, that's the third director this film has lost. The film's release date has been pushed back a few months but that seems due to Fox rejiggering their other mutant film release dates.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/gambit-movie-gore-verbinski-leaves-director-1202240851/

Most notably, The New Mutants has been pushed back to February 2019, which is 10 months after their former April release date. That's usually a bad sign.

Deadpool 2 got moved up a few weeks, which makes it more of competition to Avengers 3 than Solo and seems like a bad move based on everything we've seen about Solo (not much) but maybe it isn't, who knows? TJ Miller will still be in Deadpool 2 according to the latest reports, so good luck with that minefield even though the target audience will not care at all.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://twitter.com/amctheatres/status/951544264609026048

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

But now we can have a Snow Dogs/Show Dogs/Showgirls triple feature!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Interesting but there will probably be a lot of grey areas that lawsuits will settle along with people who don't get that if 1928 Mickey is free to use 2028 Minnie certainly isn't.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I use box office numbers in the OP as that's what studios care about and things like RottenTomatoes scores seem like a bad way to judge a movie's success or failure as many films don't give a crap about their critic scores while other films with great critic numbers do terrible at the box office and no one sees them, which seems like a bigger failure because what is the point of art if it is never seen by anyone?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Some people here seem to be falling into the trap that super hero movies can only be gigantic budget films with giant action pieces. Super hero films can be anything. Look at something like My Super Ex-Girlfriend (stay with me here, I know it isn't that good), it's a romantic comedy that just happens to be a super hero movie, but the super heroics don't build to a gigantic battle of good and evil, it's basically people defining their relationships with each other instead of using the super heroics as a backdrop. Defender was one of several films that came out over a short period about people who dressed up as heroes and tried to fight crime, their black and white views of good and evil crashing into the grey of reality in various ways. The Specials went with a different approach, a super hero team movie about the team dynamics and features zero action scenes. None of these movies needed gigantic confrontations, they just had characters who were super heroes and then just did whatever. In the Philippines there is a long tradition of super hero comedy movies, many featuring original characters (some are more spoofy of Western or Filipino heroes than others) and the point is to just have some goofy fun featuring whichever comedians the star or the star's agency are friends with. Turkey has a lot of rip off heroes that rarely wear their costumes, as their super hero films are more inspired by the old serials where characters punch each other for ten minutes and then there is a cliffhanger. Many martial arts films are basically super hero films without the costumes (and occasionally they got masks anyway!) but the characters still have names like Golden Hair Mouse thanks to a history of those stories having characters with memorable names.

I'd guess it's related to the people confused on if certain films are Westerns, Westerns are another thing that can be more than just the template. You can have Westerns that don't take place in the old west, that are modern day, set in the far future, facing against aliens, dinosaurs, Dracula, weird monsters, all sorts of things. There isn't defined genres at all with film, and some of them blur the lines all over the place. Wild Wild West was weird as heck, but so was the tv show it was based on, where a giant spider wouldn't be that out of place. Will Smith being black was obviously written in after the basic outline was set and was never going to delve deep into it, for risk of alienating a good chunk of the potential audience due to studios being a business and not an art gallery. And, yes, the giant spider is the best part. It only took a movie so ridiculous as Wild Wild West for a giant mechanical spider to be the best part, and even then they almost screwed it up.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Saudi Arabia's first movie to screen in 35 years was The Emoji Movie

http://www.newsweek.com/saudi-arabia-screens-emoji-film-one-worst-movies-2017-after-35-year-cinema-ban-781188

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Look at these nubs who don't know what Yars' Revenge was. Yars' Revenge even came with a comic book. It was the best Atari 2600 game, even stuff like Adventure, the Empire Strikes Back game, or Kaboom! don't stack up.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dragonstomper looks like a blast, will have to check it out. Sadly it's not on archive.org so I'll see if I have it through other means.

There was a rare game sold only door to door in Canada discovered a few years back that uses the ET sprite, they eventually made new copies of it after located a working copy (donated by the programmer) The museum site put up the rom http://www.pcmuseum.ca/story_etfollowup.asp

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Monster Hunt 2 will probably knock Wolf Warrior 2 out of the top spot in Chinese box office unless it turns out to be really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDXxWPQd7M

There is also Detective Chinatown 2, The Monkey King 3, and Operation Red Sea dropping this New Year, with all of them being sequels (Red Sea is a sequel to Operation Mekong, another prior highest grossing film)

I know my local theater will get Monster Hunt 2 as they are already selling tickets but I'm not sure which of the others will show up, usually I don't find out until like the day before they open, and occasionally they open two Chinese films at a time in the same theater so one only plays in the afternoon while the other at the evenings.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Guy Mann posted:

Tony Tango got a starring role in a Chinese blockbuster because he was a fat white guy with scuba experience so he got the last laugh in the end.

That film still hasn't been released lol

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Not sure if this is on video yet but it is yet another Home Alone with Talking Dogs movie, this is either the third or fourth one but it also borrows heavily from Air Bud movies for good measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLClYTX2kfA

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

White ruins RT scores which should never matter to anyone anyway but he's also a jerk so I am glad he exists but I don't subscribe to his newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

People are arguing about if this is real or not but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cMyvYLPoR0