Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would rather see Shane Black getting onto the Doc Savage movie with Dwayne Johnson he's been talking about for about five years now.

I've come to accept that it's never happening. Not because it's been taking so long, but because I feel like Johnson refuses to work with any script that isn't as 4-quadrant as possible. Or at least catering to a 14-year-old audience. While the only audience for Doc Savage is weirdos like me who collect pulp paperbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw it, and I loved it. When I was 16. I refuse to rewatch it today because of how vehemently people with taste dislike it.

Though who knows, I might still might dig it. It can't be all that much worse than the average 40s paperback I pick up because it has a cool cover.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: it's the only movie its director has directed and I'm pretty sure he wrote his own Wikipedia page.

Very possibly, but it reads more to me as someone getting sick of reading people ask "Whatever happened to Kerry Conran?" and finding no answers on his IMDB or Wikipedia. Because I've seen people who have written their own Wikipedia pages and hoo boy is it worse than that. It doesn't read as bitter enough to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

AvP-R could’ve been good if the Strause’s never got to direct.

I still remember how they swore up-and-down before the release that they were making it a lean, mean, hard-R horror film that would wash away the sins of AvP and return us to the glory of Alien.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Conran sounds like what would have happened if I'd made a big budget Hollywood film at 15.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: yes that is very era-accurate clothing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when whichever studio wanted the Ridley Scott movie from a few years ago to be the start of the Robin Hood Shared Cinematic Universe?

Crossing over (presumably after Little John: A Merry Men Story, Will Scarlet: A Merry Men Story, Guy of Gisborne: Origins, Friar Tuck: Back In the Habit etc.) with... I don't know, Ivanhoe probably?

I think you've mixed up your facts. Ridley Scott's film was always meant to be a standalone, this film is the one that's meant to start a cinematic universe—though they've now pulled back on their plans. Cinematic universes weren't even a thing beyond Marvel when Scott's film came out.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Everyone is dressed in straight-up modern clothing. One of those extras is just wearing this:

:confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Hell yes we need a follow-up to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YvJnFtFhU

:lol: that looks just as fake as the Last Action Hero version of Hamlet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tin Tin is underseen, not underappreciated; the people who have seen it tend to really like it. But I also think it's vastly overrated by them.

It seems to get a pass mostly because it's fun, and because it's Spielberg returning to adventure films and it looks strong in comparison to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But anything would. As much of screenwriting darlings as they are, Moffat, Wright, and Cornish delivered a script that leans heavily on coincidence, logic jumps, and massive suspension of disbelief. It's devoid of well-rounded characters, and Andy Serkis delivers one of the most obnoxious performances I've ever witnessed. But the action's good and it has a lot of momentum, so people do silly things like call it criminally underappreciated.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

K. Waste posted:

I'm using dub-talk as an excuse to post the Japanese dub of The Dark Knight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlG5AXcb-k

This is cool and good. I would love a nice documentary on the history of dubbing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Totally agree about the action, too. The stakes never felt real, I never felt any tension. Though I recognize that the action in the film was masterfully created for what they were trying to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: I did not read that part. That's a pretty loving big ethical breech to get rewarded for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Unthinkable that a cartoon movie based on old Belgian comics would rely on coincidence, logic jumps, and suspension of disbelief.

:shrug: don't think it makes me an idiot for expecting that three very talented screenwriters paired with one of the best cinematic storytellers of all time to find a way to adapt the books while avoiding their most egregious storytelling flaws.

I don't think it makes me naive to expect those not to be present. And it doesn't make me wrong to not like any film that relies on them, regardless of source material. Plenty of great adaptations fix storytelling problems in their source material.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fan theories are the worst. They're like film analysis but for people who dislike and disregard subtext. Or are incapable of reading it.

That being said, if we take the DTV sequels and TV show as canon, then while the Genie may not be able to see the future, he can travel there. So the logical assumption is that he just went to the 20th century at some point and absorbed some of the pop culture, then went back to his own time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

the best fan theory

No such thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The ET Atari game was perhaps the pinnacle of low effort shoddy tie-ins but clearly no lessons were learned during that debacle

Completely untrue. ET was actually an incredibly sophisticated game for its console and era, introducing (relatively) complex RPG mechanics, a (comparatively) massive world, and multiple gameplay styles on a system where most games took place on a single screen. It was downright innovative and incredibly ambitious.

The problem wasn't that it was low effort, it's that the publisher rushed it into production to meet the film's release and in doing so didn't leave time for QA. This left several significant bugs in the final release which made the game essentially unplayable. A few years ago someone released a patch that fixed the bugs and the game's reputation has received a reexamination. The original developer was thankful.

Most of the perception of the game's failure was due to the publisher ordering an absolutely absurd number of copies which they needed to make and sell because the rights to the film were so expensive. At a time when sales on the console were already fading. Essentially the game needed to be the bestselling game on the console, late in the life of the system. It's akin to our modern problem of a movie's budget being so high it needed to make a billion just to not go in the red.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 15, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All numbers are lies. Think about it, have you ever actually seen a number? Touched a number? Didn't think so.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beat me to it.

If a Duke Nukem movie has to exist, I hope it's at least extremely dumb. This is not a movie they have to overthink.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now is a terrific time to use Robocop to make another dark police satire, and ignoring all the baggage of the sequels is a great idea. The remake took it one direction and did some really interesting things, but I think there's a lot of room for focusing more on the corruption and abuses of power and systemic racism of modern police is a positive. We get to have both.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fair. But I think moreso than the past 20 years, police brutality and corruption has been a significant conversation.

ElectricSheep posted:

"SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST"
"PROTECT THE INNOCENT"
"UPHOLD THE LAW"
"NEVER OPPOSE AN OCP OFFICER"
"LET POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE DONORS OFF WITH A WARNING"

This is exactly what I want the movie to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope the change in genre to Black Dynamite 2 means that they just won't repeat the jokes of the first film again and again like literally every other comedy sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seeing how there's been, like, one or two good ones ever... apparently.

Rough Lobster posted:

I've come to the conclusion that either Guy Ritchie just really isn't that good or that his directorial idiosyncrasies just don't work on this type of action movie

I would have agreed with you, but Man From UNCLE is the best of his career and is both action-heavy and idiosyncratic as hell. Then again, the last act of the film is its weakest by far, and it's also the most straightforward and actiony.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Excalibur and...?

Lancelot du Lac was what I was thinking. But even then, neither of them are perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did Karen Gillan's character at least end up with scuffs and scratches all over every part of her exposed body from trekking through the jungle and being in action setpieces? That's the only way I could see the cheesecake being subverted while still existing in 20-goddamn-17. If not, someone use that for a fantasy movie where the woman has bikini armor.

e: or, better yet, don't use it and stop needlessly sexualizing characters for 14 year old boys

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 6, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does she at least wear clothes by the end then? Because you can't have both.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You don't need to have a moral panic cause you saw a midriff

Yes, that's clearly the only possible objection.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While Schwarzenegger and Van Damme both went from action flicks to something of dramatic actors in a much older ages.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

In the early drafts of Return of the Jedi, Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. It was only decades later that Lucas decided nah, he's Luke's real uncle after all.

Before the prequels I just assumed that Owen and Beru were "aunt" and "uncle" in the same way that semi-adoptive foster parents who wished you weren't shoved into their lives are "aunt" and "uncle". Their last name was never mentioned, was it? Maybe it was in the credits or something, but "Owen Skywalker" was never uttered. Guess that's just my headcanon or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I think an important part of context here is the character is literally a self-aware sex bot. She's born with horrible fetish features sculpted into her being.

:lol: if you think Robert Rodriguez is planning on doing anything interesting with that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the OG Predator is an exploration (and ultimately, a celebration) of toxic masculinity. Predators kinda tried to flip that on its head but to no real end.

I think we can move on from that concept entirely, unless Black has something specific to say about it, but he already explored that pretty thoroughly in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Davros1 posted:

One of the characters should be the son of Shane Black's character from the original Predator

I'd kill for Paul Rust in that role.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
True Beauty

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alien good
Aliens bad
Alien 3 (AC) good
Alien Resurrection interesting
AVP bad
AVP2 bad
Prometheus good
Alien Covenant interesting

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SimonCat posted:

After Alien and Alien3.

Sorry, I love Alien 3 but it's got nothing on Prometheus.

...because Prometheus is the second best Alien movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There is a 0% chance that either a Sonic or a Mario movie will be worth anyone's time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mario is a nothing character. He has no personality. That's fine for a video game, but not for a feature film that's centered around him. It's like if Disney were to make a Mickey Mouse feature film today; there's nothing to the character other than a cool visual and a goofy voice, he'd be a totally blank protagonist.

The 90s Mario Bros. movie had the right idea: just start from scratch, invent new personalities for your characters, and make a world inspired by the games rather than doing a straight-adaptation. The whole thing was just so hosed by the insane producers that it's a miracle they ended up with a wonky, underappreciated cult gem on their hands instead of a pile of garbage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

See, now I just see "The Machinist," except he's a plumber

He's already gearing up for the role

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fart City posted:

You know, if it was any other property I’d give them poo poo. But have you seen the Highlander sequels? I can’t blame them for being like, “okay, let’s get this poo poo locked down before we end up on an alien planet again.”

What's that, we're talking about the Highlander sequels again? Another chance for me to ramble on with my opinion about their complete missed opportunity!

Every Highlander sequel ignored one incredibly important thing about the first film: it takes the vast majority of its mythology from Christianity. In the Bible there are a number of very long lived patriarchs who lived for hundreds of years or more, the most well-known being Methuselah, Noah's grandfather. What's this guy's deal, you ask? Let me quote Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

He is known to have a great sword (Sword of Methuselah) that conquers evils and ghosts.

So he's a 900 year old human being who is known for carrying a sword which vanquishes evil. He and his ilk come from pre-history, just like Highlanders do, as stated by Ramirez. Highlanders cannot fight on holy ground. Ramirez kneels to pray as he is beheaded. The quickening comes in the form of enlightenment from the heavens. Connor is thrust into a Christ pose when he receives "the prize", also from the heavens, which manifests as winged creatures. The prize is a way to bring peace to mankind.

That being said, I don't think it's specifically a Christian film or that its rules adhere to Christianity or that Connor is Methuselah. Just that when they were creating the sequels they ignored the primary source of inspiration for the first film. One that also had incredibly rich mythology they could otherwise swipe from for some really interesting stuff. If, say, Connor were something akin to the second coming of Christ, he could bring a Highlander equivalent of the apocalypse with the four horsemen in tow. That's way cooler than aliens and repeating the first movie with a "JK they weren't the last two immortals and the quickening wasn't what we said it was".

Admittedly the TV show made some vague references to it here and there. But I somehow doubt the new movie(s) are going to pick up on that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, bummer it's not doing great. But I don't think a single one of the many movie news sites I frequent mentioned the crowdfunding campaign. Gonna throw in for the Blu, too.