Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
For Christmas one of my wife's dear relatives gave us a box of 12 pears from Harry and David's, a high end pear company from here in Oregon, just a few hours south. Of course, the holidays have been busy, and we did not open this box until today. The pears are very ripe, and I don't know if they will last past tomorrow. They aren't rotten yet by any stretch, but since they are super ripe and nice expensive produce that we would not normally buy, I want to use as many as possible today and tomorrow. I figure we will all have pear and cottage cheese for an easy breakfast, but I am looking to goons for inspiration on the rest of it. I feel like this is also an opportunity to experiment a little with a nice ingredient.

I am not a professional gourmet cook, but I do most of the cooking around our house ever since my wife decided she was done being a stay at home mom and she was done cooking along with that. The only idea I have so far is to sauté some pear slices in butter and add cinnamon, and then top that with mascarpone. Is this a bad idea? Do you have suggestions improve it? Any other pear recommendations? Thanks in advance to any goons with spoons who can contribute. Feel free to share any other fruit based dishes you like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had those a few years back. I think most people just eat them as intended, by themselves and sometimes with a spoon. They are already good, they shouldnt need to be "improved" to enjoy

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, Harry and David's pears are really good. Just eat them straight up.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Make pear butter. So easy:

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/easy-pear-butter-recipe/

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Put them up your butt, op.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Those pears are super soft, sweet and juicy. They're not necessarily the best variety for cooking. Eat them straight, with cheese, maybe sautee a bit and top pancakes or something, and if you have any left that are too far gone make pear sauce.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Croatoan posted:

I guess they sort of have a flared base, but if you push them in very far at all you are taking the knot and just lose a delicious pear up your rear end. Very unappetizing.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Those pears are super soft, sweet and juicy. They're not necessarily the best variety for cooking. Eat them straight, with cheese, maybe sautee a bit and top pancakes or something, and if you have any left that are too far gone make pear sauce.

I never understood the whole "pear with cheese" thing. Sweet with umami...it clashes too much sometimes. Probably my fault, so if you like it, go ahead.

But OP, if you have a buttload of pears, you gotta stew 'em. If this isn't too late, stew them the gently caress now!

Stewed pears keep way longer and are far more useful for cakes and stuff.

You'll need a good mass of sugar and good clean water. You can find the proportions online. Now, normally, I'd say tap water is fine for water. But who knows how far your EPA has slipped in the past year? Maybe boil it first?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Poach the pears in red wine and spices to make a dank rear end dessert: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019009-spiced-red-wine-poached-pears

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also an option: make jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Croatoan posted:

feedmegin posted:

Also an option: make jam.

Jam them up your butt, op.