Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

We've all seen guns at shows, stores, online that we wish we'd been smarter and bought. And some of us probably have bought some things that we regret.

For the ones that got away, I'm not talking about the ones that were "OGMG JIZZZZZ I love that poo poo if only I had 124231346tgqrw dollars I'd totally buy that poo poo right now!!!!"!!!" Because lets face it, unless you're got Charles Foster Kane's money, then there are probably a million guns we'd buy but just can't afford, so I'm talking about ones that you handled, had the cash and passed on, or maybe you were negotiating at a show and a difference of 50 bucks was a deal breaker, and you wished later that you'd just forked over the extra few bucks to make it happen.

For guns that you wish you'd never bought, what happened? Was it constantly needing fixing? Did it explode and nearly kill you? Was it just a plain assed pile of poo poo?

What was it? How much did you (or didn't you) pay? I guess you don't have to say how much if thats private or whatever.

Why did you regret it?

I don't regret buying anything yet, but I'm a bit pissed that I missed a few.

First one: 20 Gauge Victor Sarasqueta SxS.

I have a raging throbbing boner for SxS shotguns, and I guess because the first SxS I bought was Spanish, that is now "my thing". I really like those bitches. In a bespoke, "best" gun model, they easily rival the best guns made in England, but for a small fraction of the price. Anyway, this gun was a model 3, boxlock in 20 gauge, Pistol Grip with beaver tail fore end, which I like and was in very decent shape. Price was 350 bucks. I had way more in my pocket at the time. I didn't even bother trying to buy it, I was looking for a sidelock 12 gauge at the time. I also figured, gently caress it I've already got a 20 gauge, why do I need another one?

It would have been a good match for my V Sarasqueta Model 3 in 12 gauge, but I was too short sighted I guess to realize that I should have bought that one. When ever I'm at a gun show, the only things I really look at are SxS guns, and I swear I must have bought the last two cheap Spanish ones. Since then, guys want ridiculous prices for either beat rear end guns, or ones in decent shape but are actually only worth about a tenth of the asking price.

Winchester model 24 SxS. It was for sale at a local(ish) shop a couple years back, price was 450 or so. I would have bought it in a second, well, depending on what it looked like cosmetically, almost solely on the basis of gently caress YEAH WINCHESTER!! I always kinda had a hankering for a Winchester double. Yup, probably just for the name but whatever.
But there was one problem. It was a 16 gauge...... At the time I pretty much thought "16 gauge? gently caress you who give a poo poo"!?!
I pretty much regret that because I didn't give a poo poo about 16s at the time, but now a 16 gauge double is on my list of things to buy.

Last one I can think of offhand is another 16 gauge. This one a model 84 Cooey. Canadian Gun goons know about Cooeys.
HW Cooey Machine and Arms company. Cobourg Ontario . Those goddam Cooeys were pretty much no frills, plain Jane nothing special guns. But they were cheap, and by all the stories that I've heard from Canadian old dudes, reliable as gently caress. They were kinda like the Toyota Corolla of Shotguns I guess.

It was at another show, and there was this forlorn looking old dude sitting at a corner table, hand written signs on all of his guns. Looked like he was selling his old hunting guns because his grand kids probably didn't give a poo poo. If I'd bought it, I probably would have chatted up the dude, asked him a few stories about the gun and if he told me a good one, I wouldn't have even tried to dicker on price. I would have even told the guy that I'd give his gun a good home, take care of it, shoot it regularly and bring home some food with it

The Cooey was in decent shape for probably being like 800 years old or whatever, and it was an 84, not an 840, which is what I'm looking for in those guns. I've already got a 20 gauge, and was at the time looking for a 12 gauge, had it been a twelve, I would have given it more of a passing glance. But alas it was a 16. I forget the price, but it was less than 150$
These days, I want pretty much the full line of 84s. 12, 16, 28 and .410 to go with my 20, but like I said at the time, I didn't give a poo poo about "that 16 fuckin gauge bullshit".

So what did you pass on, or buy that you've regretted ever since?

AmbassadorofSodomy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Held a beautiful 1948 winchester 70 in 30-06 with a $200 price tag on it at a Gander Mountain about 5 years ago. At the time I was divorced and broke as hell and thought "what am I going to do with this, I can't afford 30-06 ammo." Regret not buying it on a regular basis.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

stealie72 posted:

Held a beautiful 1948 winchester 70 in 30-06 with a $200 price tag on it at a Gander Mountain about 5 years ago. At the time I was divorced and broke as hell and thought "what am I going to do with this, I can't afford 30-06 ammo." Regret not buying it on a regular basis.

Just off the top of my head, a couple that got away:

1) HK 300 in .22 Magnum. Local shop had it for $700 with three mags and a Steiner scope. The scope alone was worth a good chunk of the asking price. I had the money, but I was trying to be good about spending, so I passed on it. Now, only four years later, it's hard to find one under a grand without a scope. I don't have a specific need for the thing, but it was one of those guns that just "sparks joy" when you hold it.

2) Simunition conversion for the SIG 556. I've never even seen these listed in any catalog; they must've been a custom run for some big department or something. A guy was selling it on gunbroker for a reasonable price, considering the rarity of it. As above, I was trying to be good about spending, but now I really regret not jumping on it since I've never seen another one and having that kit would allow me to train force-on-force with my 556.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Decently priced, used USP sims upper someone linked a few years back. I think it was for a compact. Anyway, was curious about sims but didn't have any HKs at the time. Now I carry HKs and a local trainer is integrating sims into some of his courses. But he runs all Blue Glocks. No real problem but it would be nice to get lit up holding my gun.

E: I should see if he wants a couple flagrantly colored G17 OWBs and matching mag pouches donated for students to use with the sims guns.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

The only one that really bothers me is a Schofield converted to 22lr for 900 that I just couldn't pull the trigger on. The conversion wasn't perfect and for some reason spooked me despite loving weird conversions. I just don't know. ffffffffff

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Decently priced, used USP sims upper someone linked a few years back. I think it was for a compact. Anyway, was curious about sims but didn't have any HKs at the time. Now I carry HKs and a local trainer is integrating sims into some of his courses. But he runs all Blue Glocks. No real problem but it would be nice to get lit up holding my gun.

E: I should see if he wants a couple flagrantly colored G17 OWBs and matching mag pouches donated for students to use with the sims guns.

Lots of reasonably-priced Beretta conversions; you'd just need some B92 mags to feed the ammo properly. If I ever see another USPc conversion, I'll let you know.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

I really shouldn't have bought my Armaloy'd (refinished in a hard chrome) Highway Patrolman at the price I paid for it but it works perfectly and is a laser.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

First gun I ever bought and only gun I ever sold was a PS90

It just wasn't very fun or interesting and my specific model was very popular among... Collectors... Who valued its trigger pack's similarities to the P90

So I sold it for double what I paid and got into the NFA game with two suppressors and a SBR stamp

Yeeee

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

Last gun show I went to, Wanenmacher's in Tulsa so roughly 7,000 tables to look at, I usually start at one end and go right to the other row by row over about a 3-4 hours period. First row I came across a Russian 1895 Winchester in about 80-85% condition for $1500. I wasn't sure if it had been redone with the bluing at least, and kind of wondered why it was priced so low. Probably should have jumped on it immediately but I wanted to look around more since it was literally the 3rd or 4th table I'd seen. Of course when I came back it was gone.

I'm not too unhappy about it though, since a few tables down was a Luxembourg FN49 and it stayed right there until I came back after looking at most of the rest of the show.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

A Smith Super K stainless revolver from Woodlawn Boys. Omg, barely missed what I came to find is one of their rarest. Oh well, I am lucky to have what I have. But poo poo!!

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I've got one, thats maybe just a potential regret. Depends if my new years resolution works out, and how fast.... I guess it counts.

20 gauge over under another spanish gun at a sort of local shop. I have to pay off my credit card before I even attempt to buy it. I'm hoping that its still in the shop about April or so, when I hope to have the Visa paid off. I admit, it depends on what it actually looks like in person, but I'm pretty horny for it right now.

Hopefully I'm not breaking the rules in my own thread.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I was at Triple A's Sporting Goods in Vallejo to do a face-to-face transfer on two guns, and they had a Smython, with an Aristocrat rib and a pencil eraser for the trigger stop, in the consignment case. Trigger was great, timing was not great, but not awful, bore was too dirty to tell. I can't remember how much endshake it had, or exactly what they had it priced at, but I had already bought a King modified 1905 in need of gunsmith attention the month before, and I had already committed to buying two guns that day, so I had to tell myself it would be ridiculously financially irresponsible to drop something in the neighborhood of a grand after taxes and fees on yet another gun, especially since I didn't know enough to guess how much it would cost to regulate it. I'll probably never find anything that ridiculously cool again.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ishapore Enfield: While an interesting part of Indiam armament, there is nothing worth shooting here. That money would have been better set aside toward one of the almost-but-not-quite .410 riot shotgun conversions.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Howa HCR Chassis Rifle in .308. I was at a formal event that included a charity silent auction. Silent auction + open bar = safe queen.

There's nothing wrong with the rifle itself. It's accurate and has a great trigger. I just don't really like it very much and don't use it. For me it is roughly $1000 in fun money going nowhere at the moment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

In 2010 I had a shot at a G41(m) (aka the super rare one with the crazy dual bolt / semi-automatic action) that I had to take a pass on due to being flat rear end broke. I doubt I'll ever see another one under $10k.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

HK SL6 for ~$600
Mateba Grifone for $1200
Sites Spectre in 9mm with .40 conversion kit and a .45 barrel for $1200

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I like turtles posted:

HK SL6 for ~$600
Mateba Grifone for $1200

Jesus Christ

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah. At least I didn't gently caress up getting my $900 factory nickel p7 m13

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

I like turtles posted:

I wonder if the dude Carbohydrates sold his Spectre to ever got around to SBRing it. Last I saw he found a stock for sale for $1k or so.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

I should not have bought my first gun.

Not that I regret getting into guns personally, but the first firearm I ever bought with my own money was a Walther P22.

For carry.

Yes.

I was dumb, opinionated, and despite being 21 still basically a loving child. So I bought a .22 that was in a "carryable" size and carried it in a belt pouch for two years. That's just bad decisions all over the place, especially given that I spent way too much money on it - Don't recall how much - and eventually removed the magazine safety from it myself.

It was a cavalcade of dumbassery, and I am here to expose my secret shame to TFR.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Aren't the P22s also rather unreliable to begin with?

Like always needing minimags unreliable.

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

Back in 2013 I bought a $1200 Sig 556 SWAT Patrol instead of a $400 VZ 58.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Friend of mine has a P22 that he bought on a lark. It seems reasonably reliable, but it's still feels like a toy.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Long time ago a place advertised ptrd-41s for a great price. Expensive, but good and was affordable at the time. I passed because ammo would be impossible to get. Literally impossible, I'd have to roll my own entirely probably.

At the time I thought ugh this is a hard one to say no to, but no. I've regretted it ever since.

Heard they actually also had a small number of PTRS's too. Heard from a guy he was offered one of each for a price I wouldn't have turned down even given the ammo issue and because they just wanted them gone really.

Just to be clear these are the old Soviet antitank rifles; both single shot and semiauto versions.

Ugh gently caress what did I [not] dooooo?

e: Just saw once in a blue moon someone advertising theirs for sale: 5k for the single shot, 10k for the semiauto. Gaaaaaahhhh

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 26, 2018

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Not that I regret getting into guns personally, but the first firearm I ever bought with my own money was a Walther P22.

Me too! (Not for carry, though)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I mentioned this one in another thread but it bears repeating. Feel free to laugh at me.

I traded a mid-50's Detective Special for a Remington 597. At least it was the nice one with a bull barrel and Boyd's stock, I think the MSRP was $400+ but goddamn, that was dumb.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

First gun I ever "carried" was a Type 54 in condition 3 that I'd pull out of the safe and stuff behing my hip around the house/yard on nights my parents were both working third shifts. The little Walther seems a quality carry option by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

I only regret one really, I mean there's a ton of guns that I wish I could buy right now, for example a guy I know wants me to buy about 15 king modified guns and half a dozen oberndorf A/N sporters so they go to a good home during his divorce. I mean, I've never really had that kind of money, boy I wish I did.

Really though, there's just the one SVT 40 that was $350, very high condition, pretty much a perfect gun. But I was being good and saving for a house, so I couldn't plunk down my cash and run away giggling.

That was the last time I went to a gunshow without at least $1000 spending money in my pocket. I just stopped going.

There's lots of guns I would wish I had, but that is the only one that truly stands out. A fellow can't regret the guns that just are not affordable. That only really stings when a nice gun goes to an rear end in a top hat. That's happened a few times to guns I have watched on auction. In the end though if a gun does go to a good guy I have found that just being patient and making it clear that I am next in line will eventually land the gun in my lap. May be a decade, but I'll eventually get it.

Well, when I was single. Now there are a lot of other things money goes into.

• Locked thread