Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fart City posted:

Brie Larson's line deliveries seem really... weird. Like I can't quite get what the vibe of what the character is supposed to be. The tone makes it sound like she's this kind of emotionless weapon, but she's quipping all over, and something about it doesn't mesh.

The by-the-numbers production of Marvel has been slowly creeping into the actors' performances for a while now, and they used to be the standout.

Most of their movies since at least Doctor Strange have had some phoned-in performances. Michael B. Jordan, Tom Holland and Michael Keaton have been able to rise above, and Paul Rudd still gives it his all, but something like Infinity War is full of people going through the motions.

Brie Larson will fit right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

One thing that always drives me crazy is how dour and hopeless people say MoS feels. I just can't agree. Every single human in the film is a fundamentally good person with two exceptions. The trucker, and Clark's childhood bullies. And the bullies grow up to be fundamentally decent people.

Pete Ross is obvious, since you even see him come around as a kid, but am I right in reading the other bully who attacked Clark in the junkyard as growing up into the priest Clark visits?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mameluke posted:

Pete Ross is obvious, since you even see him come around as a kid, but am I right in reading the other bully who attacked Clark in the junkyard as growing up into the priest Clark visits?

That's always what I took away from it though I don't think it's explicit

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

This is actually a pretty funny tweet:

https://twitter.com/RobertIger/status/1082664056350228482

Fart City posted:

Brie Larson's line deliveries seem really... weird. Like I can't quite get what the vibe of what the character is supposed to be. The tone makes it sound like she's this kind of emotionless weapon, but she's quipping all over, and something about it doesn't mesh.

It's just that the lines don't scan. It's like in that Orson Welles peas commercial where he complains about how poorly the lines are written and how tiring they are to even read, much less say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's absolutely incredible to me that Marvel is pulling the same con job they did with Black Panther - that fattening their shareholder's wallets is some victory for PoC or women if they're part of the product - and it's working! Especially after Wonder Woman! Woke-washing really works (and btw I want to state that it's good to be woke, and that Disney ain't)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It didn't work for Sony

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the girl power stuff doesnt really play in Captain Marvel, the character seems empty, a cypher. the whole thing looks incredibly rote

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ammanas posted:

the girl power stuff doesnt really play in Captain Marvel, the character seems empty, a cypher. the whole thing looks incredibly rote

IIRC the comic side of Marvel has tried really hard to push her but it hasn't really worked.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

wdarkk posted:

IIRC the comic side of Marvel has tried really hard to push her but it hasn't really worked.

Mainly because it was so transparent. Carol Danvers was, at best, a reserve Avenger for a long time. She was there, but not really an anchor character. Then a couple of years ago Marvel decided they wanted to hotshot her into being a top-tier face for the imprint. But they didn’t do the ground work. There was no meaningful storytelling history or character work to build on. As a result, she’s kind of been inconsistently written since, with Civil War II being a good example of how scattershot her characterization is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's absolutely incredible to me that Marvel is pulling the same con job they did with Black Panther - that fattening their shareholder's wallets is some victory for PoC or women if they're part of the product - and it's working! Especially after Wonder Woman! Woke-washing really works (and btw I want to state that it's good to be woke, and that Disney ain't)

is it working though?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I can’t believe how brave disney is for making a movie with an attractive young thin white woman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Brother Entropy posted:

is it working though?

According to the 100% anecdotal evidence of "my twitter timeline": yes

People gushing that the movie is coming out on International Women's Day and such

Having said that - no I have no objective evidence that it is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Mainly because it was so transparent. Carol Danvers was, at best, a reserve Avenger for a long time. She was there, but not really an anchor character. Then a couple of years ago Marvel decided they wanted to hotshot her into being a top-tier face for the imprint. But they didn’t do the ground work. There was no meaningful storytelling history or character work to build on. As a result, she’s kind of been inconsistently written since, with Civil War II being a good example of how scattershot her characterization is.

They're basically trying to make her the next Face hero, trying to force her to become the next Wolverine or Deadpool

But no one forced Wolverine and deadpool to become as stupid popular as they were. That happened entirely naturally and organically. Plenty of people like Carol Danvers, but no one is really keen on the stick up the rear end caricature that they put in her place

Throwing her into the MCU like this feels like a mistake. She's suddenly so important, despite never being mentioned before? Fury didn't think to give her a call when the Avengers poo poo went down?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Who’s going to be the first Fat superhero?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

According to the 100% anecdotal evidence of "my twitter timeline": yes

People gushing that the movie is coming out on International Women's Day and such

Having said that - no I have no objective evidence that it is.

fair enough, i feel like i've been hearing not that much buzz over it for a marvel film, especially after that endgame trailer hit and sucked up all the air in the room

but that's just dueling anecdotes so shrug

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean I freely admit that Twitter is an echo chamber and I might have just gotten one really loud shout bouncing around a bunch of times. It just bugs me because we already had a big-time Lady Power superhero movie in Wonder Woman and yeah it made people feel good for a week and then it's back to hellworld as usual.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Throwing her into the MCU like this feels like a mistake. She's suddenly so important, despite never being mentioned before? Fury didn't think to give her a call when the Avengers poo poo went down?

Master planner Kevin Feige has a master plan.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ironically, Kamala Khan is probably more popular now than her idol.

By the way, her creator G Willow Wilson will be writing Wonder Woman comics soon.

porfiria posted:

Unless Marvel makes a Great Lakes Avengers movie first, Sony is making movies based on Valiant comics and there's a fat blonde woman among their characters.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 8, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

where's my fat cobra movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porfiria posted:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

porfiria posted:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

porfiria posted:

That Paul F. Tompkins lookalike from Deadpool 2.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What about the first ugly superhero?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mameluke posted:

Darkman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Toxic Avenger has him beat by six years.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Sir Kodiak posted:

drat you're right.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Mameluke posted:

Dr. Strange

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fighter of the Brightman

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ammanas posted:

...And you just described every Captain Marvel comic of the last five years not by Kelly Sue Deconnick.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Fighter of the Brightman

Perhaps I'm misreading this but dude, if you seriously do not know who Darkman is you've got one hell of a fun education ahead of you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Necrothatcher posted:

Perhaps I'm misreading this but dude, if you seriously do not know who Darkman is you've got one hell of a fun education ahead of you.

Out of smoke and he appears, the master of disguise

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Swamp Thing has Toxic Avenger beat.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

Swamp thing fucks. Those Moore books go some places

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heads up, Zack Snyder has a new production company.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1025545-the-stone-quarry-zack-snyder-launches-new-production-company

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stone quarry? Hopefully that means he's finally making a Tokusatsu

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

porfiria posted:

Plus-size superhero Faith to Get Own Movie From Sony and Valiant Comics

Lobok fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 9, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't believe no one had mentioned the Great Lakes Avengers

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stone quarry? Hopefully that means he's finally making a Tokusatsu

gently caress yes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I can't believe no one had mentioned the Great Lakes Avengers

someone did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Darko posted:

Fantomah has Swamp Thing beat by more than 30 years. :colbert: (But she was only ugly in her hero form.)