Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

Perhaps I'm misreading this but dude, if you seriously do not know who Darkman is you've got one hell of a fun education ahead of you.

I've seen it I was just making a dumb joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I want a hikkikomori superhero.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Melissa McCarthy or Rebel Wilson?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Rebel. McCarthy's a bit too old by now I would think.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Bring back The Blob, but as an anti-hero.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Would be a good way for them to kill any interest I might have had in it, I can't stand Rebel Wilson. There must be someone else angling to become the new only overweight actress getting work in Hollywood.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NTRabbit posted:

Would be a good way for them to kill any interest I might have had in it, I can't stand Rebel Wilson. There must be someone else angling to become the new only overweight actress getting work in Hollywood.

Christian Bale put on a whole bunch of weight to play Cheney and won a Golden Globe for his efforts so the field is wide open!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nikki Blonsky still acts, doesn't she?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Rebel Wilson

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Netflix has really been pushing the girl from Easy and Dumplin' and Bird Box, so probably her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inkspot posted:

Netflix has really been pushing the girl from Easy and Dumplin' and Bird Box, so probably her.

Barb is yesterday's news.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lobok posted:

Barb is yesterday's news.

That's not the same person.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m honestly surprised Captain Marvel isn’t leaning heavier into then 90’s nostalgia trip. That seems like an easy-rear end gimmick that’s been all but mostly ignored by the marketing. I mean it would be a transparent ploy, but at least it would give the movie some kind of genuine hook.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

That's not the same person.

I know, that's what I mean. They've moved on from Barb.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

I’m honestly surprised Captain Marvel isn’t leaning heavier into then 90’s nostalgia trip. That seems like an easy-rear end gimmick that’s been all but mostly ignored by the marketing. I mean it would be a transparent ploy, but at least it would give the movie some kind of genuine hook.

Yeah the first trailer started with her crash landing into a Blockbuster video store and the third trailer featured the song Connection by Elastica but that was pretty much it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I don't know anything about captain marvel and have zero interest from what the trailers have shown,big marvel fan by the way just not bothered about this one.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I keep getting Green Lantern vibes from every Captain Marvel trailer, is this normal?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

graham cracker posted:

I keep getting Green Lantern vibes from every Captain Marvel trailer, is this normal?

https://twitter.com/RamonVillalobos/status/1037404006895632385?s=19

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

graham cracker posted:

If Jude Law turns into a giant CGI fart cloud at the end, I’ll buy a ticket tbh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nikki Blonsky still acts, doesn't she?

In theory, yes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Brie got short arms

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

DeimosRising posted:

Brie got short arms

It's Captain Marvel, not Captain Armvel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Remember how I said I felt that Captain Marvel was being woke-washed? Well...

https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1082672093806907392

Again, not definitive proof or anything, but this is pretty gross

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"women in roles they can aspire to one day be"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

Ironically, Kamala Khan is probably more popular now than her idol.

By the way, her creator G Willow Wilson will be writing Wonder Woman comics soon.

Marvel's said in in a press release that they do intend to bring Kamala Khan to the MCU, they just think Captain Marvel needs to happen first. Whether this means they plan to give Kamala her own movie or have her in Captain Marvel 2, who knows.

Marvel's also said Silk is another female superhero they have plans for in the MCU, though with no further details.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Look, we have the default, a movie about two rich white guys duking it out, and every film after that gets one degree more diverse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's absolutely a thing that girls and women are discouraged from getting into certain hobbies/interests/careers that society normally views as exclusively for boys and men, but comic books is absolutely not one of them. Within my circle of friends that read comics, actually like comic book movies, it's only women that are into them.

[edit]
I missed the gofundme link at first, which tells me everything I need to know about the motivation behind that Tweet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think it's evil.

https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1082851386122031104

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I don't think he's saying it's evil, he's just pointing out the Disney playbook of garnering praise via social issues. Black panther was the first black movie. Coco is the first Mexican production. Captain marvel looks like the next step, especially with wonder woman taking some of the wind out of their sails.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

finally girls will learn that if you're blonde and pretty you too can be a lead in a hollywood film

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Brother Entropy posted:

finally girls will learn that if you're blonde and pretty you too can be a lead in a hollywood film

don't forget white

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't think he's saying it's evil, he's just pointing out the Disney playbook of garnering praise via social issues. Black panther was the first black movie. Coco is the first Mexican production. Captain marvel looks like the next step, especially with wonder woman taking some of the wind out of their sails.

WW got some news headlines for doing a couple of special “girls only” screenings, which makes this feel kind of even more hollow and pandering, as though some sort of checkbox is being hit. I’m not saying that it won’t do good on a micro, individual level, but it’s hard not to take the entire endeavor as little more than formulaic marketing on macro.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Fart City posted:

WW got some news headlines for doing a couple of special “girls only” screenings, which makes this feel kind of even more hollow and pandering, as though some sort of checkbox is being hit. I’m not saying that it won’t do good on a micro, individual level, but it’s hard not to take the entire endeavor as little more than formulaic marketing on macro.

I don't think jock is saying representation is bad, just that Disney is using it to score points and potentially make it critic proof like black panther.

And the wonder woman screening was alamo Drafthouse.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 9, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't think jock is saying representation is bad, just that Disney is using it to score points and potentially make it critic proof like black panther.

I don't remember nearly this much pearls-clutching about Wonder Woman, tbh.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Pearl clutching? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b195ff0e2fb5

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that was just the Alamo Drafthouse doing the screenings, not affiliated with WB

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm all for raising money to give disadvantaged kids the opportunity to just have some mild luxury and joy in their lives, but corporations get no props for exploiting that need to advance their bottom line.

Like, I'm sure Girls, Inc. probably does a lot of good for people who are in the most need, and they see clearly that those needs aren't reductive to just pragmatic, materialist bullshit that does nothing to give someone a sense of spiritual well-being and confidence and whatever.

The problem is that corporations and conglomerates like, say, the Disney company, are predisposed to exploiting these very systems of inequality and injustice in order to misdirect from their fundamental complicity. Their fixation is upon "empowerment," but empowering someone is not the same thing as giving them power. It would be a lot more straightforward to simply nationalize this globe-bestriding colossus so that everyone could materially benefit from its prosperity, as opposed to being forced to depend upon it strictly as an inscrutable, voluntary apparatus of selective spiritual welfare.

"Woke-washing" in general just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially when we already have the perfect term to describe the particular ideological fantasy that all of these 'empowerment' narratives embody: "trickle-down economics."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

condolences on your bad memory i guess? there was plenty of eye rolling at that being spun as some political victory for women

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I blame George Miller for starting it all, with his virtue signaling but making mad Max a beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bushisms.txt posted:

And the wonder woman screening was alamo Drafthouse.

Idiot manchildren bitched like crazy about that online, leading to this exchange:

The cinema actually followed through on it :v: