Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cythereal posted:

I don't remember nearly this much pearls-clutching about Wonder Woman, tbh.

Your memory is poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Idiot manchildren bitched like crazy about that online, leading to this exchange:

The cinema actually followed through on it :v:

:golfclap:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Let me say that representation is good and essential (but not, in and of itself, enough), and (again) that being woke is good. My issue is with the literal historical revisionism and the power structure being presented here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

I don't think he's saying it's evil, he's just pointing out the Disney playbook of garnering praise via social issues. Black panther was the first black movie. Coco is the first Mexican production. Captain marvel looks like the next step, especially with wonder woman taking some of the wind out of their sails.

As a Mexican, I'm still pissed about Coco. Especially after they had the gall to try and trademark the loving holiday during its development. Sadly, I'm in the minority, most people in the country happily swallowed Disney's PR.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

As a Mexican, I'm still pissed about Coco. Especially after they had the gall to try and trademark the loving holiday during its development. Sadly, I'm in the minority, most people in the country happily swallowed Disney's PR.

:stare:

lmao wait what???

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fart City posted:

:stare:

lmao wait what???

I misremembered, they didn't try to trademark the holiday but the phrase "Día de Muertos" but still.

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/disney-trademark-day-dead/index.html

http://www.pocho.com/walt-disney-inc-wants-to-trademark-dia-de-los-muertos-toon/

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not that Disney's attempt to trademark the phrase "Día de los Muertos" wasn't gross, but the basic idea of trademarking a common or cultural phrase isn't that unusual. There's an active trademark for the use of the phrase in selling beer owned by a Mexican company, a Rhode Island company has an active trademark for using the phrase to sell lottery tickets, etc. Disney is such a cultural behemoth, and tried to trademark the phrase across such a massive swath of possible products, that I do think it's good they didn't pull it off, but it's worth noting why they thought they could get away with it: because it happens all the time, just not quite so boldly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not that Disney's attempt to trademark the phrase "Día de los Muertos" wasn't gross, but the basic idea of trademarking a common or cultural phrase isn't that unusual. There's an active trademark for the use of the phrase in selling beer owned by a Mexican company, a Rhode Island company has an active trademark for using the phrase to sell lottery tickets, etc. Disney is such a cultural behemoth, and tried to trademark the phrase across such a massive swath of possible products, that I do think it's good they didn't pull it off, but it's worth noting why they thought they could get away with it: because it happens all the time, just not quite so boldly.

In the US probably, but is an entirely different beast in Mexico where is the actual name of the holiday and is even marked as such on our calendars. It would be akin to trademarking the word "Christmas"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coca-Cola has no doubt tried to do that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In the US probably, but is an entirely different beast in Mexico where is the actual name of the holiday and is even marked as such on our calendars. It would be akin to trademarking the word "Christmas"

There are currently four active trademarks for "Día de los Muertos" in Mexico.

There are three active trademarks in the United States for just the word "Christmas" by itself.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

There are three active trademarks in the United States for just the word "Christmas" by itself.

Four? I had only heard about another animated film developed by a mexican studio that has yet to see the light.

I had no idea about Christmas being trademarked, I did knew about "Merry Christmas" being trademarked. My bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Mexican trademarks are for, like, beer and alcohol, not movies.

The US "Christmas" trademarks are for, if I recall, slot machines, frozen vegetables, and a brand of religious pamphlets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
And Luke Cage's catchphrase!!!!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cythereal posted:

Marvel's also said Silk is another female superhero they have plans for in the MCU, though with no further details.

Are they trying to beat Sony to the punch on that? I thought it was Sony that announced they want to make a Silk movie, after Venom made bank.

Still waiting on those Black Cat and Silver Sable movies from the ASM days, personally

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aces High posted:

Are they trying to beat Sony to the punch on that? I thought it was Sony that announced they want to make a Silk movie, after Venom made bank.

Still waiting on those Black Cat and Silver Sable movies from the ASM days, personally

Yeah, it was Sony who announced plans for Silk, not Marvel. Marvel doesn't have access to Silk in films anyways.

Also, not that it means much these days but critics are not impressed by Glass.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also, not that it means much these days but critics are not impressed by Glass.
Really? :( God, I want this to be good.

Any links?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crows Turn Off posted:

Really? :( God, I want this to be good.

Any links?

Here

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/glass_2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
it looks tepid to me but i didnt care much for Split. Unbreakable was great and remains a potent antidote to the Marvel/DC films

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Are we going to have a new thread for 2019? Any suggestions for thread title?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Disney Bought Fox

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Comic Book Movie making GBS threads Thread '19: Disney Killed 100% of Comic Book Super Heroes

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I said come in! posted:

Comic Book Movie making GBS threads Thread '19: Disney Killed 90% of Comic Book Super Heroes
I'll take that. Venon and whatever hellboy is live.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Something related to New Mutants, imo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Comic Book Movie Megathread '19: Like a doomsday cult

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ammanas posted:

it looks tepid to me but i didnt care much for Split. Unbreakable was great and remains a potent antidote to the Marvel/DC films

I enjoyed Split, but it fizzled out at the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Capitalism is a disease.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Capitalism is a disease.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yep. They also ran into this recently trying to trademark "Hakuna Matata".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Idiot manchildren bitched like crazy about that online, leading to this exchange:

The cinema actually followed through on it :v:

I hope someone who is afraid of clowns was tricked into attending this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A CORPORATION WILL DIE!