Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (July 5, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (April 22, 1930)

Lil' Abner (January 18, 1938)

Barney Google (May 22, 1923)

Alley Oop (August 21, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (August 16, 1935)

Dickie Dare (September 29, 1933)

Bringing Up Father (January 30, 1940)

Krazy Kat (January 29, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (January 29, 1937)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Still not caught up, thread friends, but I come with comix. Happy New Year, friends.

Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (February, 1919, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (January, 1936, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (January, 1941, click for big)

Dick Tracy (May, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (June, 1941)

Archie (June, 1956, click for big)

Mr. Tweedy (November 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1976, click for big)

:same:

Andy Capp (March, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (June, 1972, click for big)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Anybody have that Sunday Mark Trail edit? The one about spiders, our ally in Man's eternal war with the insects?

Haifisch posted:

Side note: I had no idea Deathany* (*From On The Fasttrack!) was based on his daughter. That explains a lot, but also makes it worse, somehow.
I don't know if she's based on her, but his daughter does appear as Dethany at conventions.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Tiggum posted:

I don't know if she's based on her, but his daughter does appear as Dethany at conventions.

I swear I read that she was based on his daughter (or at least his daughter was the inspiration for some parts of her) but I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I'm mixing it up with the cosplaying. Either way, it's kinda weird.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Edda is definitely based on Brooke’s daughter so enjoy that mind-melting fact

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

coronatae posted:

Edda is definitely based on Brooke’s daughter so enjoy that mind-melting fact

So is Amos a stand-in for Brooke?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

And Luann is based on Greg's daughter!

Three daughter inserts, three bad comics. Coincidental or causal? Who can say.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Ghostlight posted:

I can continue - are you translating them yourself, or do you get them from a source already translated? If the former, let me know what font you use and I'll start editing the Nekonaugheys.

The Nekonaugheys were my own translations. The fonts I most used on them were Ladylike, Chewed Pen, Chinacat Thin, and Indy Pimp.

e: Looking through the old thread, somebody wanted to see this Dick Tracy edit

Angular Cyrus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 3, 2018

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Some of R Ubbish's finest edits were of Nancy, I tragically, didn't save any. Please someone who was smarter than I, post them?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTq66KIag9Y

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
R Ubbish was a beautiful phenomenon. We need more edits in these threads.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Some of R Ubbish's finest edits were of Nancy, I tragically, didn't save any. Please someone who was smarter than I, post them?

Well, I have a few of those...

You were thinking of the banker ones, weren't you? To my eternal shame, I only saved the one.

Sally Forth

The Continuing Absence of Everyone But Skippy (November 5, 1930)

Peanuts (January 5, 1971)

Meanwhile, current events overtake Funky Winkerbean...

Crankshaft

Cobra Carson, Sheepherder of Action

Out Our Way (February 4-5, 1931)

Thimble Theater, in which fun's fun, but we've got a war we're supposed to be getting to. (July 25, 1931)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set sends its regards.

Working Daze is fat.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix isn't the hero we need, but is the hero we deserve.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
:siren:GUY GILCHRIST'S NANCY ENDS ON FEBRUARY 18TH:siren:

This was announced in a Tennessean article that spoils the finale story in the second sentence, so click with caution. No way in hell would I ruin the endgame of Nancy for anybody, so instead I'm only going to quote a little piece of the story...

quote:

Gilchrist, 60, said he’s giving up the daily “Nancy” strip to concentrate on creating animated TV shows, movies and maybe even a Broadway play inspired by the cartoon characters he’s given life to for nearly five decades.

He’s torn; Gilchrist said he’s psyched to get into new projects, but he’ll miss his daily sit-down with Nancy, Sluggo, Aunt Fritzi and their friends and pets.

"It’s a very very strange thing, I’m being pulled into television and all of that, and I’m leaving the strip," he said. "It’s very very odd to me."

No word on what happens with the “Nancy” strip after Feb. 18.

“We don’t have any public comment right now,” said John Glynn, president and editorial director for the strip’s distributor, Andrews McMeel Syndication of Kansas City, Mo.

“Nancy” appears in 79 newspapers with an estimated readership of more than 3 million people, the syndication company said.

The company could hire another writer/illustrator, or it could re-run old strips or pull “Nancy” altogether.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 3, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ernie Bushmiller's legacy can rest easy now :unsmith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

"It’s a very very strange thing, I’m being pulled into television and all of that, and I’m leaving the strip," he said. "It’s very very odd to me."
by the chick from The Ring, I hope

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Ernie Bushmiller's legacy can rest easy now :unsmith:

you'd think so but

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grats Gilchrist on your forced retirement you goddamn mess.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bloom County

Bloom County is an amazing comic you should all be reading.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 4, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 4, 1996)

Garfield Classic (June 4, 1986)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, current events overtake Funky Winkerbean...

If he means "un-Les-Moore-d", that seems it'd be cause for celebration.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The hell's he doing?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

The hell's he doing?

Buying tires?
Writing a check?

I don't even know if questions are sincere anymore.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Buying tires?
Writing a check?

Yeah, it struck me as off that Arlo was writing a check (I mean, diagetically; I get that Jimmy wanted to make a "writing the old date after the new year" joke) since he's been depicted basically forever as a smart and enthusiastic adopter of new technology (e.g. he's been going online since the mid-90s at least). For once, the GoComics commenters actually were of some use: a couple of them pointed out that a lot of small businesses either don't accept cards, or charge a percentage surcharge for their use. Then again, a lot of those same commenters are like "I don't trust debit cards" :corsair:

I haven't written a check in years. I'm sure some finance/commerce wizard could clear up the mechanics of it for us.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I believe The man was making a joke that Arlo’s 2017 date is fine, as it has already passed and the check is valid for deposit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The joke in the strip is that even though Arlo made a mistake, no one physically deposits checks anymore, they get electronically processed and they usually hand the physical check back to you with your receipt. It's a bit of an observation on Arlo getting old because (a) he wrote a check (b) he forgot the date (c) he was mad at himself about his forgetfulness (d) it doesn't matter anyway because modern technology.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Ham Shears

The Creeps

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Bloop posted:

Buying tires?
Writing a check?

OK I was being a bit facetious there, but cheques in 2018 just blows my mind, or that there are surcharges for debit/credit cards, several smaller stores here now got signs they refuse payment in cash.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz is a weekly comic with a very small, but deeply loopy, set of solutions for its mysteries, repeated constantly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

OK I was being a bit facetious there, but cheques in 2018 just blows my mind, or that there are surcharges for debit/credit cards, several smaller stores here now got signs they refuse payment in cash.
The only thing I use checks for anymore is rent, and the only reason I don't pay it online is because there's a $30 "service fee", which is a thing that apparently still exists.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The only thing I use checks for anymore is rent, and the only reason I don't pay it online is because there's a $30 "service fee", which is a thing that apparently still exists.

Yeah I only just stopped using checks for rent. There's a huge fee for me too unless I do ACH right from my checking account. No more checks!

Lots of people still use them for stuff, though. Neither of my parents have ever had a debit card.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I only just stopped using checks for rent. There's a huge fee for me too unless I do ACH right from my checking account. No more checks!

Lots of people still use them for stuff, though. Neither of my parents have ever had a debit card.

My grandparents still get cash at the bank with checks, they'll never use a debit or ATM card. They also have the service where the bank mails them their canceled checks with the monthly statement.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm glad Gilchrist is leaving Nancy, but I was kind of hoping he'd be disgraced out of the job & taken to prison for those crimes he did.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it fair to call Phil a Gilchrist self-insert? He's been revised enough to be a gary-stu.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

:siren:GUY GILCHRIST'S NANCY ENDS ON FEBRUARY 18TH:siren:

This was announced in a Tennessean article that spoils the finale story in the second sentence, so click with caution. No way in hell would I ruin the endgame of Nancy for anybody, so instead I'm only going to quote a little piece of the story...

:stare: Wow, what a ending! Phil Fumble OD'ing on fentanyl, then Aunt Fritzi tries to shoot up a Islamic community center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon
img]https://i.imgur.com/1nITH9u.png[/img]