Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hello new thread!

My comic is Luann and it sucks! It is a humorous (allegedly) soap strip that deals with the life and times of wholesome girl next door Luann and all her little raggedy friends and foes. It is written by Greg Evans. As of 2012 his daughter Karen (on whom Luann was based) began co-writing.

In classic Luann fashion, we are behind the times, still stuck on Christmas even though it is New Years. 19-Year-Old Luann's horrible gift to her father was to clean her own bedroom and her horrible gift to her brother (who just wanted to take her to a movie on Christmas) is to make him clean her room. Thus she gets away with doing nothing and giving nobody anything they want. We are supposed to like her. This is my favorite hate-read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anybody have that Sunday Mark Trail edit? The one about spiders, our ally in Man's eternal war with the insects?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Page one reminds me: what happened to "The Heart of Juliet Jones" and "Radio Patrol"?

I loved those comics. :( Comics Kingdom and my Chromebook are no longer on speaking terms. I can't get any of the images over there to load. I don't know what happened. I go back every once in a while to see if images are appearing, but nope. Some day I hope to be able to afford a real laptop and then hopefully I'll be able to post them again, along with my other favorite classics. Until then, this is what you get:

This just makes me vaguely remember when (I think) Paul F Tompkins was saying that Jeremy Piven seems like the kind of guy who would bow to you when saying hello in a smarmy faux-spiritual manner.

That article about Gilchrist posted:

“We don’t have any public comment right now,” said John Glynn, president and editorial director for the strip’s distributor, Andrews McMeel Syndication of Kansas City, Mo.

Why? :laugh:

Not that I ever doubted, but we can throw this on the evidence pile that that assistant's allegations were true.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What is different about moon dust that an astronaut could conceivably be allergic to it and not to Earth dirt?

Lest you think you're the only one finding this storyline dumb and boring, here's the featured comment of the day:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, what do we have to do to get Nancy picked up by Norm Feuti?

Casting my vote in favor of this. I think he'd do a good job. No way he could do worse than his predecessor.

1. Random colors from the garage swirled together? That sure won't look like rear end! I can see why she does so well in her bullshit art class!
2. Way to close a paint can, whoever closed that paint can.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

gently caress your carpet, Dad!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Apparently not *such* a bygone era that they've gotten around to cleaning it up or that it doesn't still smell like torture in there. :catstare:

I do appreciate the Young Frankenstein reference in the middle left panel, though.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Aw, you probably just have rodents in your walls. Which is worse!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Girls, this is a science lab, not Home Ec. Get some lab coats with sleeves.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Mrs. Holmes is attempting to knit with the needles pointing downward. No wonder her sock fell off.

Haifisch posted:

To be fair, he's seen playing Cool Big Brother/Mentor to that neighbor kid a lot. idk exactly how that started, though.

A kind act for which his father frequently ridicules him.

She is fantasizing that he will melt and free her from this nightmare.

Tunicate posted:

Have they even gone yet, or have they been planning to go to a party for like 500 panels without having done it?

They attempted to go, but they weren't on the guest list so Les wouldn't let them in. He said he'd put them on the list for the next time, but since his mother is presumably attempting to run a scam here, you'd think she wouldn't want the venue-owner's daughter here. Especially since she already abused said daughter's brother and same daughter's best friend. But I guess it's not a problem:

Yes, you three are looking quite daring in your jeans, high-necked sweaters, and vest.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I feel like Luann would be able to recognize Ann Eiffel... but I'm not 100% sure that they've met in person and going through those archives would be torturous. But Luann would have had to have seen her at Weenie World, right? Or the bookstore?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^

Slacktivist posted:

Yet while the KJV’s use of the word “unicorn” wasn’t the best translation, it also wasn’t quite what we might think of as “mistranslation.” The Hebrew word the KJV renders as unicorn is re’em, and back in 1611, nobody really knew what that word meant. For the translators in 1611, re’em referred to some vaguely imagined mysterious wild creature. And for them “unicorn” also referred to some vaguely imagined mysterious wild creature. So for them, at the time, it was a reasonable suggestion. It was a legitimate bit of guesswork on their part.

Today, we’re still not really sure what that word re’em means or meant. For a bunch of reasons, “wild ox” now seems like a better guess — but we’re still, on some level, guessing as to what kind of animal, specifically, that word was originally intended to refer. Link, if you want

Tiggum posted:

He knows he can quit, right? You don't have to wait for the shop to shut down to leave.

Isn't his nemesis blackmailing him to stay or some weird poo poo?

Haifisch posted:

2005 Spiderman

Psst! Petey! You weren't in costume! They didn't know you were a superhero!

So far doesn't seem any more evil than any other MLM scheme.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 11, 2018

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Again supposed to be evidence of Ann Eiffel's inherent EEEEEVIL, but we still haven't seen any more evil than your average commission-based or MLM salesperson. Luann's just a dumbass because I still don't know how she doesn't know who this person is.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Can someone rex and rover this for me?

Does anybody still have the comic panel from which we got our phrase "Rex and Rover"? It was such a handy thing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Maybe I'm thinking of a different comic, but it seems like when Bad Machinery was posted in the last thread everybody was like, "gently caress off with that webcomic garbage!" and that's why it didn't last long. Not sure what changed since then, but also, I don't really care. :justpost:

Ghostlight posted:

It's 'Red and Rover'

Thanks and thanks!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

How is it possible to churn out this many jokes about Crankshaft going senile? Are these supposed to be funny or depressing?

It's a Batiuk strip. The answer is both.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

And because it absolutely rules, here's today's Slylock Fox as a bonus

This is pretty rad, as capers go. Slylock should jut let this play out.

Wasn't this snagged directly from one of the Not Newspaper Spider-Men?

Mom and Dad? I thought Rusty always used to call them Mark and Cherry.

Yeah, this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Two redundant panels in today's already entirely pointless strip that does nothing to advance the plot. Jackel Rod can't pace his way out of a paper bag.

Alterian posted:

My guess? Since Tiffany is a high maintenance girl she's going to look at it and inform them its cheap chinese ripoffs / from Kmart.

Ding ding ding!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My cats are indoor/outdoor, but I still have a litter box because sometimes when it's cold they don't feel like going outside to pee. I scoop and change the litter and accessories as recommended, but only clean the box itself when I find that one of the cats has gotten sloppy. It seems to be fine.

That's someone Luann should have totally recognized!!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

How does that work? I assume that since they're gentlemen they sit down and decide ahead of time, "Ok, we'll stand in a triangle and I'll shoot at Frank and Frank shoots at Murray and Murray shoots at me."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yes, give a heads-up to the DeGroots so they can hire a lawyer to help them cover their asses, but your very next call after that should be to Souffle Lingerie who will most definitely call up their own lawyers to take Ann Eiffel to the cleaners.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Coincidentally, the thing he's decided she wants is the thing he was going to do anyway! How nice for them!

It's important to find somebody who likes you for you, not because you hang with Leonardo and so on. That said, they're in the early honeymoon period of their relationship and if he's not willing to make an effort now, good luck in ten years when she just wants him to stop eating his drat cheetos in the drat bed and put on some drat pants and help her get the kids ready for soccer.

Haifisch posted:

The Amazing Escape

I guess they're not too concerned about the crocodile dude stomping around.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

So... in this shared fantasy that they have he's a fat tub of lardsnow and she's five? I know age play is a thing that consenting adults do, but I request permission to still be creeped out.

Today I have seen true Art.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

So you're *not* going to get Souffle Lingerie's rabid attack lawyers on the case. You're going with a wacky scheme instead. Huh.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm sorry how is bernice not a villain

"oh this character who got a bum deal in life but is starting to turn it around? he's a loser"

The only reason anybody is being nice to Tiff right now is because she got fat and put on sweatpants and eventually consented to letting them spam her with "We Noticed You're a Fatass" pamphlets and Gunther.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Ham Shears (fun fact: from what I can tell, the GoComics commenters loving hate Ham Shears)

Another reliable indicator of its quality!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

What in the everloving gently caress, Dez? She's trying to learn to dress sexy in her new body and this is what you come up with? Her sweats complemented her body better. Make her hair bigger and she can play somebody's very professional mom in a 90's sitcom.

In other news, Ces Marciuliano and Hector Cantu were on an episode of All Things Considered. If the fact that it's an NPR show wasn't a clue, yes, they do talk politics.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The current storyline in Modesty Blaise hasn't grabbed me yet, but I'll say one thing for it. We know they'll come to blows eventually, but for once the bad guys saw Modesty walking around and said, "Let's leave her alone," instead of "LET'S PISS HER OFF ASAP SO SHE'LL COME gently caress US UP!"

1. You could still date, if that's what you want to do. You didn't grow up together so there wouldn't be an incesty vibe. And you hate your mom, so it's not like if things didn't work out with Tiff it would make family reunions weird.

2. Is Ann Eiffel paying the booking fee? Last we saw, Pru waived that. That was only for the first party, yes, but we haven't seen anything to say whether or not she's paid for subsequent events and we know a dedicated con-woman would try to get around that.

3. All of Tiff's stated goals would still be better served by ratting Ann Eiffel out to Souffle Lingerie and their attack lawyers.

4. Here is some terrible fan fiction. Linked because it's unimaginably awful. I don't recommend it.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't know why, but the Cute Chick's head is weirding me out. Especially in panel 4.

They drew her like that one kid in Compu-Toon

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Come on, Sal and Ted. Everybody knows the real appeal of Jeopardy is witnessing Trebek's barely concealed contempt for the contestants. Every interview segment is a jewel.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is doing <nerd thing> with special guest <nerd icon>!

Now, I admit I haven't watched every single episode of Will Wheaton's YouTube board game series, but I'm preeeeeeeetty sure he doesn't generally wear a Starfleet uniform while hosting.

I guess at least there's no "Shut-up Wesley." Thank heaven for small favors.

Kennel posted:

Dustin

He's depressed.

Yeah, definitely ask your toady that question. Surely she has nothing to gain by encouraging you to continue bullying the less-favored child.

Baby Proof posted:

Ballard Street would be a good 20% better if it just dropped the captions. They're clearly not written at the same time as the drawings - I wonder if they're even by the same person.

There was a theory that Ballard Street has a different caption writer and artist and that the resulting comic is their way of acting out a long-standing and bitter feud. It's not true. As far as I know, it's all one guy and the comic is about some weird people who live on this street. But I don't care. I still like thinking the artist and the caption guy hate each other.

It's like Team Evans were thinking, "How can we make this arc shittier?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god Mordock999's going to lose his poo poo over this.

I didn't find a comment from him in today's batch, so maybe he's that stunned. This made it worth my time in that pit, though:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

To be clear, I'm pretty sure the GoComics comment I posted was making GBS threads on Gunther. I shared it because I thought it was funny.

Poor Liz doesn't even know she marries Anthony yet!

The resulting furniture looks better than I expected, but still pretty gross.

Now, if you want some comments that don't appear to be sarcastic...

This was today's featured comment.

Of course there's evidence that shows I'm wrong, but I'm ignoring it and I request that you do the same!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Who could it be?

Hoping for horrifying giant toad.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

So... is this thread done with Judge Parker?

Not officially. But if the person who usually posts Judge Parker does not post Judge Parker, then there will be no more Judge Parker until somebody else posts Judge Parker or the original poster returns.

Anybody feel like posting Judge Parker?

Gunther seems to be such a Nice Guy and then you catch him thinking women are property.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Esplanade posted:

So you really can make a living as an Art Instruction Schools graduate!

Ah ha! I thought that pirate looked super familiar!

It's been months. Has she not given him an answer in all this time? Does he ever make a facial expression other than a bland smile?