Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'll post my usual comics in the morning. In the meantime, have a selection of (mostly Newspaper Spiderman) edits that have been wasting space on my hard drive for unknown amounts of time:

(Borden)

(Sir Lemming)
(Borden)

(czarchasm)

(duke jeffries)

And this horrifying 9CL thing I've long since lost the source of:

e: Almost forgot a good one from more recent NSM:
(Johnny Walker)

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon is a space opera strip that started back in 1934. It's inspired minor little things like "the Star Wars franchise" and "Superman's design". I'm posting the Jim Keefe(yes, the same Jim Keefe who does the art for Sally Forth) run, which went from 1996-2003. We're currently at June 2002, conveniently at the start of a new arc. Flash and his team have just been sent out to a city that's lost contact with the Kingdom of Arboria, and now they're fighting some sort of four-armed yeti.

The Amazing Spiderman(generally referred to as "Newspaper Spiderman") is the tale of a very dumb man who's constantly getting into trouble with bricks, new allies attacking him, and his spider sense never working. He's currently on a boat with Bruce Banner and MJ trying to save his equally dumb mentor, Curt Connors(whose main claim to fame is losing an arm, then turning himself into a The Lizard trying to regrow the arm), after some poo poo went down in the everglades. There's a cool and good thread dedicated to it here, but it's obviously less active than this thread.

2004 Spiderman is newspaper Spiderman, only in 2004. Some great goon uploaded an archive of strips all the way back to 1999(available in the OP of the dedicated NSM thread), so I figured I'd post them a week at a time here. The current arc is just starting, and involves Kraven the Hunter.

Dumb poo poo I highly recommend reading the pre-2004 archives for includes: Spiderman killing a werewolf by projecting the sun in a planetarium, a prisoner getting electric barbell powers by having lightning strike a barbell, Spiderman defeating Kingpin by blocking the airvents & nearly suffocating him(but Spidey himself was fine because of a small reserve of air in his mask), Spidey being completely convinced a movie filming was him being attacked by vampires, Magneto siphoning off Peter's spider powers using a centrifuge, the Punisher almost killing The Owl before realizing villains have families too, and probably a dozen other incredible but dumb things I'm forgetting.

I loving love Newspaper Spiderman.

Spirit of the Staircase is a whimsical strip with great art, revolving around a balding middle aged guy, a fuzzy something-or-other named Mumford, a vampire, and a crow. It also only gets posted once every other week. Here's the latest strip:

Magnificatz is a strip I've only started posting relatively recently. It's about a logical normal-looking cat named Nina and an artsy cat orb named Sam. Goon reaction so far has been positive-ish. I'm currently posting strips from 2016.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn is a charming strip about a girl and her unicorn. Lighthearted and funny, without getting as sickly sweet as strips like Rose is Rose or Gilchrist Nancy. I'm posting it and the next strip while the person who normally does is out of the country.

Wallace the Brave is a fantastic strip. Consistently funny, parent/child dynamics that don't feel overly sappy or seething with resentment, good art, it's got it all. It's also posted on a somewhat irregular schedule. Here's the latest strip:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

goatface posted:

This is an absolutely loving horrifying concept.
So it's a Holbrook comic.

Side note: I had no idea Deathany* (*From On The Fasttrack!) was based on his daughter. That explains a lot, but also makes it worse, somehow.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing SPROINNGG

Magnificatz

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

"My rotten kids don't want to put a bunch of effort into an outdated thing nobody under the age of 60 expects to get. :qq:"

I might be biased because I hated having to write thank you notes as a kid, and nobody I know as an adult expects to get them(or sends them to me).

Yvonmukluk posted:

Would it be alright for me to post Bad Machinery in here, since it's now syndicated on GoComics? I realise it's also a webcomic (and I tend to keep my posts about the overall comic to that thread), but I'd like to share it if that's permissible.
General rule is if it's on Gocomics or Comics Kingdom, it's fair game. I'm pretty sure Magnificatz started as a webcomic before being picked up by Gocomics, for example.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

:allears:

The Amazing Cabbie

Magnificatz

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace The Brave

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Aleph Null posted:

Still creepy. Wish they'd drop this particular story line.
I think the internet has ruined you, friend.

Selachian posted:

Meanwhile, Fritzi declares, "God, country music sucks," and cues up Yeezus on her phone.
And then she finds her true love, a nice atheist lady.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The benefit of hindsight here makes this delicious. :allears: Is she going to bitch about kids not seeing the value of cursive next?

I'm not sure when these strips originally ran, but I'm guessing late 90s? Early enough for these newfangled computers to be the scary new thing destroying the good old ways, but late enough that the average kid would be doing a lot of school writing on a computer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing Hospital

Magnificatz

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing Hospital Guy

Magnificatz

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Decades later: What's with millennials and the constant texting, amirite?

:5:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Randaconda posted:

Bloom County still working for you guys? I don't mind posting it, and I think it's cool.
:justpost:

Bad comics get a lot more chat than good comics because there's more to talk about than 'that's a good comic alright'. Doesn't mean nobody's reading the good comics.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2004 Spiderman

The Amazing Contaminated Operating Room

Magnificatz

:kimchi:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Christ, that rendering of the Harry Potter kids (I'm guessing it's supposed to be Hermione and Ron?) is horrible. I thought the artist traced from photos?
Nobody said he was good at tracing.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

:nallears:
Pros and Cons is so close to being consistently good, but then it regularly shits itself whining about people getting offended by things.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Bonus: An interview Jim Keefe did when he started working on Flash Gordon back in 1996.

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Florida Man Bruce Banner

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone that Edge of Adventure as been going on since March, 2016 and so far nothing has really happened.
It's the edge of adventure, not adventure itself. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Bonus blog post Jim Keefe did about this strip, with some Flash Gordon/Mr Monster mashup art as well.

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Blood Types

Magnificatz

:rolleyes:

RandomPauI posted:

Dustin, where's the joke? How is that a joke? And why do you keep letting some strangers kid into your parents house?
To be fair, he's seen playing Cool Big Brother/Mentor to that neighbor kid a lot. idk exactly how that started, though.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Blood Donation

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

readingatwork posted:

The seagulls in WTB are the best thing in this thread and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
I'll fight you on this, alright.

Everything in WTB is the best thing in this thread. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Also, here's a cool Comics Revue cover featuring Flash Gordon and The Phantom(from here):

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing That's Not How Any Of This Works

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing ???

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Blood

Magnificatz

e:
"It's just a joke, you're too sensiti-" :fuckoff:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 13, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon :cthulhu:

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Spider-Hulk

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Artsygrrl posted:

Does Lynn Johnston know what happiness is? I sometimes wonder...
Happiness is finally getting your rotten kids and cheating scum husband to bend to your will. Locking your kids outside in the snow is optional but highly recommended.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Spider-Hulk

Magnificatz

The Spirit of the Staircase

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SuperKlaus posted:

Well if Bad Machinery is a webcomic it doesn't belong here. But I also firmly believe Working Daze doesn't belong here and a certain twit posts it religiously anyway, and we also have to deal with Magnificatz, which looks and smells webcomic to me, and a couple others, so at this point I guess the so-called rules are "gently caress it whatever" until someone tries to post Ctrl Alt Delete.
Magnificatz is on Gocomics, which the last thread decided made things fair game. But it feels webcomic-y because it apparently was a webcomic before getting picked up by gocomics. Then again, so was Spirit of the Staircase. :v:

I also started posting it on a whim, and after seeing a bunch of strips am in the "art's cool, jokes range from okay to bleh" camp. Not that it's going to stop me from :justpost:ing it.

SpacePig posted:

Was there ever a point where Spiderman newspaper comics weren't insane, barely-comprehensible comedy sketches? This thing with Kraven is really stupid, and keeps getting stupider, but I know for a fact that this isn't even the stupidest it's been.
If I remember the really old(70s/80s, iirc) strips someone posted once, the answer is 'no'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They must have gotten a ghost writer for this one, they made Tiffany too plainly sympathetic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Of course he can't work out, then he might have TWO interests. :monocle:

You can also tell Reddick has never stepped foot in a gym himself because people spend approximately 0 time looking at other people in the gym.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

Just Get To The Spider-Hulk Already

Magnificatz

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Arm

Magnificatz

Ughhhhh.

This is made even worse knowing that the type of guy who goes "women and all their beauty products, amirite?" is usually also the type of guy who gets mean and spiteful when a woman dares to be 'ugly' by not using all that stuff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Oh come on, this 'arc' was like 4 strips. Did Keefe get sick of drawing the Tricera-Cthulhu?

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing The Lizard

Magnificatz

Laputanmachine posted:

I understand now why Americans think Toblerone is ambrosia. I imagine it tastes like heaven if you have eaten sour milk chocolate all your life.
We have real chocolate too. Hershey's is the poo poo we give to children and for situations where we want to give chocolate but don't care enough to spend actual money on it(office treats and such), because it's cheap and easy to buy in large quantities.

How non-Americans got it in their head that we're not familiar with any chocolate but Hershey's is baffling to me. It's like assuming our only pizza is Pizza Hut. But some variation on "poor Americans, completely without access to real chocolate" comes up every time Hershey's does, without fail.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

What kind of shallow douchebag thinks it's important not to be a fat slob, amirite?

Also nevermind that exercise is, you know, healthy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Escape

Magnificatz

And since the person posting it mysteriously vanished, let's catch up on Dick Tracy.

Vargo posted:

Wallace
Bravocado Bee is a hero.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Tail

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

:barf:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
From what I skimmed, it seems like 99% of the complaints are people complaining about the pacing or expecting it to have serial drama strip levels of story.

It's baffling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

I love that he was apparently content to sit in jail until the fake Rhino pissed him off.

The Amazing Purple Pants

Pastry of the Year posted:

While I'm talking about things I like, Haifisch renaming The Amazing Spider-Man every day to match its goings-on is one of my favorite little things in the thread.
I'm glad the tiny effort is appreciated. :3:

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Recap

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My problem with Barry is that he's written as what a sheltered nerd who never grew out of high school thinks 'jocks' are like in the adult world. Shallow, dumb, obsessed with getting laid, no apparent interests outside of sports and fitness(and those interests themselves are often assumed to be boring and shallow by stuck-in-highschool-nerds). That's not to say people like that don't actually exist, but a certain segment of nerds likes to dramatically overrepresent how common they are while constantly complaining about & making fun of them.

A lot of the knee-jerk reaction to Intelligent Life is because it's easy to read the worst aspects of nerd culture into it, and Reddick almost never goes out of his way to suggest these aspects are actually bad things.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing Hulk

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy

And we're finally caught back up!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"You all must have been 'straight buggin' about that, as it were."
"Our stalking you must have seemed very creepy and stalkerish to you."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

Man, I don't like Pop Team Epic at all.
I find it really hit or miss, with more misses than hits. Although I think some of that is because of the jokes that rely on references, so if you have no clue what they're referencing, it falls completely flat.

I found the first episode of the anime funnier than most of the strips(something about the voice acting & pacing makes it click better), but I can also see it wearing thin for an entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2005 Spiderman

Are you okay, colorist? :stare:

The Amazing Defective Hulk

Magnificatz

Dick Tracy