Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Happy new year, new thread. I wish I had something to start posting this year but comic strips don't really intersect me much outside of a few webcomics I still read (and I don't think anyone here wants me to start posting 17 years of 365/366 Schlock Mercenary comics a year.)

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth is a serial drama strip about a retired widow living in a condo in Santa Royale, Calif., who meddles in the lives of her neighbors, friends, family, and anyone that crosses her path, really. As mentioned above, right now Wilbur is having his heart broken, and this thread is in general agreement that he deserves everything he's getting.

Oh Lord, Mary has to break out the muffins on this one.

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ernie Bushmiller's legacy can rest easy now :unsmith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Is this an edit?

Nope. The munted sack of terrible cartoonist behind Baldo seems to think someone whose age is in the single digits can comprehend relativistic physics.

Also it's not true. It hasn't been proved that photons have mass.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

what the gently caress she actually does want to gently caress the snowman

I'll be back in a minute. I need to go grab a really large bottle of gin.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I bet Reddick is a goon with a humiliation fetish who reads this thread in earnest.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

I posted it and even I think it's an edit. That I somehow got from comicskingdom. For goodness sake, the punchline in the final panel is edited out and it's just a pastejob of the third panel so the new joke is that he's staring at her boobs!

Wait, that's not an edit?

...I didn't know you could run something like that in American newspapers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

So... in this shared fantasy that they have he's a fat tub of lardsnow and she's five? I know age play is a thing that consenting adults do, but I request permission to still be creeped out.

Permission implicitly granted. Reddick is drawing some serious pedophile apologia poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: Sweet CHRIST some of these edits are getting intense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wait, what is the joke supposed to be here? "lol, drat those kids and their active interest in reading!"

Go Set a Watchman is the recently-published first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird. It has a massively different narrative structure to the final work, enough so that it was originally marketed as a sequel. A stylistic comparison of the two is actually quite interesting, not only due to the differences in the way the events in the plot are approached (Watchman views them primarily through an adult Scout's flashbacks) but also because Watchman was the first full manuscript she ever wrote and the released novel is basically a polished version of what Lee originally sold and what would, over the course of a few years and several more drafts, become Mockingbird.

The joke is the drat post-millennials are doing their research and taking an active interest in reading, how dare they.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Who the gently caress has a secretary? How the gently caress can you afford a secretary on the salary of a regional advice talk radio host who is probably only on air for maybe a couple hours a day?

The Dustinverse's economy never left 1963.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

She doesn't understand? It's a dog. That's what they do.

Lynn Johnston doesn't perceive reality like the rest of the world does.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Savidudeosoo posted:

What the gently caress, his name is Floyd?

Why do they call him skip?

Why does he look like he's lost a poo poo ton of weight?

This is entirely a Reddick self-insert situation. Like it always is.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (July 19-20, 1986)

I choose to believe that every Garfield strip past this point is a hallucination of Jon's as he's strapped to a bed for the rest of his natural life in a sanitarium somewhere.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus :stare:

You'd think that would be the sort of incident that made some pretty major waves. Then again I guess tons of people die in car accidents every year...

The novelization expands on the visceral horror of that scene, describing the people coming back out of the transporter inside out. And one of them is Kirk's estranged wife or something.

Roddenberry signed off on some crazy poo poo in the 70s.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rex Morgan has some drat near Sons of Anarchy levels of "the retarded child is controlling the plot" and that's horrible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I propose that in recognition of our time served hatereading Gilchrist Nancy, we should get a second One True Bushmiller Nancy every day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I gotta admit, I'm actually kind of enjoying Les doing a little Statler and Waldorf thing in the background.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Meanwhile this guy is drawn 100% like he just stepped out of a 1980s coming of age drama. Shirt, mullet, face of an actor who's starting to get too old to pass as a high school senior...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

What sort of manchild thinks that two people walking side by side is horribly mushy?

The answer is always Reddick.

A waste of GoComics' bandwidth.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If that goofball Justin dies inexplicably from complications of choking on a bite of sandwich fifteen minutes prior I'm gonna be awaiting the cause of death.

Also Foob continues to remind me that children are horrible monsters and yet somehow Lynn Johnston is worse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

IIRC, she agreed to have Michael watch them without asking him if he was ok with it.

And you can be 100% sure Lynn Johnston did that to all her kids in real life.

Whereabouts in the chronology are we? I can't wait to see what she does to butcher the rerun of the arc where Lawrence comes out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I get that this is Intelligent Life's schtick but this is the most blatant masturbatory self-insert pandering I think I've ever seen outside of Least I Could Do. "Oh supporting character, my fat goony socially awkward boyfriend is just so wonderful. Who would have known he isn't...that guy."

It's not even vaguely groan-funny anymore. It's just really loving sad.

I feel bad for Reddick at this point.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jikes posted:

:stonk:

so the joke is that the anthropomorphized predators ripped the sentient deer apart?

The joke is us, for we keep reading this tripe.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mikl posted:

For the medically-apt people in this thread, what could "everything he tries to swallow goes down the wrong way" be?

Rabies. :unsmigghh:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I am actually amazed at how lazily copy-pasted this comic is. Tillman apparently has the ability to magically clone milk cartons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Did we run out of Gasoline Alley strips a while back? Last I remember we were in the middle of the "Skeezix has been kidnapped" storyline and then it just stopped being posted :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stephen Hawking has passed away, and the main reason I'm bring this up is so you find out like this as opposed to through Working Daze.

Because you just know it's going to do a lovely tribute.

I'm still angry about the Pratchett one.

Can we just agree not to post it?

Please?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in Canada, milk comes in bags, so these accidents can't happen

We use cartons on the west coast. I have never had milk in a bag but I suspect it's easier to pop a bag full of liquids than it is a carton full of liquids.

Regardless, Foob is a terrible comic strip written by a terrible woman and it surprises me that people have such a high opinion of Canada when we export such things as Nickelback, William Shatner's Tambourine Man, apartheid, and Foob.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Your breath has the freshness of a summer ham!

I feel like I stumbled into the Simpsons quotes thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Let me just get my set of reflex hammers and we can get started."

Doc Morgan returns with a chainsaw made of reflex hammer heads.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God drat, Billingsley.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm definitely keeping that one in mind! There's one or two others that will be coming down the pipeline I'm considering though.

I'm ever so slightly curious about your current, uh, adornment.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TyrsHTML posted:

HOLY poo poo I CALLED IT

Dammit. I had rabies.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Savidudeosoo posted:

I'm glad you got better!

:downsrim:

(I kind of set myself up for that one, didn't I?)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Archyduke posted:

Ok, Holbrook has asked us to put up with a lot, but I have to draw the line somewhere-- what on earth is up with those necks.

Some kind of animal-human transformation fetish thing I'm sure.

Basically Holbrook is a poo poo artist in all senses and whoever gave him any sort of syndication deal or whatever it is that compels people to post it in the comic strips thread should be demoted to janitor and not given access to any mops.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Because of this thread I binged all of Bad Machinery and the new Scary-Go-Round stuff this weekend.

Now I have no more Tackleford adventures to read. :smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Did you read all the Bobbins.Horse/New Bobbins stories?

Bongo Bill posted:

Did you get the Giant Days comics?

Wow this rabbit hole goes deep. Bobbins goes back twenty years? And there's a whole spin-off comic between Bobbins/SGR and Bad Machinery? Holy poo poo :stare:

I guess I have a lot more to read, yay!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus Mary and Joseph you did not need to post that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

New Nancy is meta as all hell and I like it.

The person/people behind it must just love pissing off the Gilchrist fans.

e: Also reiterating something I posted months ago: I sincerely believe Reddick is a goon with a humiliation fetish who reads this thread in earnest. Every time we get riled up about something specifically horrible in his strip it drags out for loving ever. This is the only explanation I have for that trash goddamn cartoon that makes sense.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 21, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Knowing that in a few years of reruns Lawrence won't be interested in *any* girls makes this funnier.

(Are there spoiler rules on Foob?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Getting to re-experience Bad Machinery from the start with the thread is just a wonderful thing. :allears: