Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:siren: SIGN UP TO THE ROYAL RUMBLE ROULETTE! :siren:

Raw Results
  • Alexa Bliss confronted Kurt Angle backstage to complain about being put in a match against Asuka tonight, claiming it made no sense (it didn't). Angle wouldn't let her get out of it though, and left her fuming as he went to the ring.

• Angle wished the crowd a Happy New Year and talked up the upcoming Men and Women's Royal Rumbles. Sheamus and Cesaro stormed out to complain about losing their tag titles last week. They demanded their rematch, and Jason Jordan came out to Angle's defense which lead to the announcement of Cesaro vs Jordan. Seth came out before the match could start to remind Jordan that he had to consider the team and not just the individual. The crowd chanted,"Daddy's boy!" at Jordan.

• Jason Jordan defeated Cesaro after a long match and Seth Rollins preventing Sheamus from attacking him. Afterwards Jordan snubbed Seth to celebrate alone.

• Backstage, Roman talked up his IC Title match against Samoa Joe. Sasha Banks announced she will be entering the Women's Royal Rumble.

• Bray defeated Apollo Crews even after the distraction of Dana Brooke being knocked off the apron onto Titus. After the match, Woken Matt appeared on the Titantron to declare he would DELETE Bray. He laughed as his image was split into dozens and then hundreds of tiny frames, and Bray looked like he couldn't grasp just what the gently caress was going on.

• Alexa wanted Nia to have her back against Asuka, but Nia was in a panic that Enzo was sick and unable to defend his title, and was rushing Chicken Soup to him to help him feel better.

• Asuka defeated Alexa Bliss in a weirdly long and drawn out back and forth match, with Alexa eventually tapping to the armbar.

• Samoa Joe did a loving awesome fired up promo (and got in a dig at Dean and Renee) insisting that he had Roman's number and would be the new Intercontinental Champion.

• Bayley announced she is entering the Women's Royal Rumble.

• Braun defeated Rhyno and Heath Slater. Initially his match was against Rhyno alone, but when Heath got on the apron, Braun grabbed a mic and insisted he either stay on the floor or get in the ring and fight. After pinning Rhyno, Braun was attacked from behind by Heath. Braun murdered Heath. RIP Heath.

• Roman met Seth in the locker-room. Roman insisted that Joe was a joke to him and he was going to show him that you do not mess with The Shield. Jordan showed up, stole Roman's catchphrase, and declared he and Seth would have his back if The Bar showed up.

• Kane met Braun backstage and tried to convince him to work in concert with him to take out Brock at the Royal Rumble. Braun said he didn't give a poo poo about any plan Kane had and he would deal with Brock AND Kane by himself.

• Finn Balor told Kurt he was officially entering the Royal Rumble, and that he'd also picked Gallows and Anderson to be his partners against Elias and the Miztourage tonight.

• Roman Reigns defeated Samoa Joe to retain his Intercontinental Title in a really drat good match.

• Paul Heyman approached Kurt Angle backstage to warn him that Brock would take matters into his own hands if Kane or Braun tried anything.

• Absolution announced they will be in the Women's Royal Rumble.

• Drew Gulak read out Enzo's written promo explaining that Enzo was sick and unable to defend his belt. Cedric demanded to know if Daivari or Gulak would step into Enzo's place. Drew and Daivari offered him a tag match with anybody willing to back him up. Goldust (!) answered the call.

• Cedric and Goldust defeated Drew Gulak and Daivari.

• Elias and the Miztourage did a musical performance, and this time the crowd booed it as they made it as awful as they possibly could before The Balor Club came out.

• The Balor Club defeated Elias and the Miztourage, with Gallows getting the hot tag, just running through the Miztourage and then he and Anderson hitting the Magic Killer, Anderson vaulting over the top rope to the outside while Finn hit the Coup de Grâce. Anderson in particular seemed more energetic than usual.

• The Miz returns next week.

• Paul Heyman delivered a promo with Brock in the ring, insisting Brock would win at the Rumble and that he feared no challenger or challengers. As they tried to leave, Kane showed up and chokeslammed Brock... and Brock sat up and laughed. The rest of the locker room emptied out and kept the two separated, bringing Kane back up the ramp. Brock posed with his belt and the show just kind of ended.

• Happy New Year!

Smackdown Results
  • After a recap of last week's main event, AJ Styles came out to open the first Smackdown of 2018. He wanted to face Sami Zayn tonight, but also assurances that there wouldn't be a repeat of the distractions from last week's loss to Kevin Owens. Daniel Bryan and then Shane McMahon came out.

• Shane apologized to AJ for costing him the match, but claimed that Daniel had a blindspot for Owens and Sami. After claiming he wanted a match free of distractions, he announced that HE would be at ringside for the match tonight. Daniel said if Shane was going to be there, then (presumably to prevent Sami claiming bias) Owens might as well be too.... AND Daniel himself would be too. "What could possibly go wrong?" asked Corey Graves.

• Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable defeated The Usos to become the new Smackdown Tag Team Champions, leaving the Usos shocked. But as they exited the ring a second referee came down to explain the pin did not involve the legal man. After watching a replay, the referee rendered his decision null and called for a restart. Gable and Benjamin were furious.

• The Usos retained their Tag Titles after Gable and Benjamin were forced back into the match. Gable and Benjamin attempted to repeat the finish but the Usos were ready for it this time and pinned them.

• Sami and Kevin met Renee backstage and insisted that regardless of who was at ringside, Sami was going to beat AJ.

• The Bludgeon Brothers were murdering Breezango when The Ascension charged down to the ring to help. The Bludgeon Brothers proceeded to murder The Ascension.

• The New Day were having a New Years Celebration backstage to prep for Xavier's US Title tournament match. Rusev Day showed up to ruin the party. Mojo Rawley then did a pre-taped promo mocking Zack Ryder and claiming he was going to leave him in the past where he belongs.

• This time RUSEV sang the song lauding Aiden English! Xavier defeated English to advance in the tournament, much to Rusev's dismay. Backstage, a confident Jinder Mahal and the Singhs were watching.

• Carmella, Nattie, Tamina and Lana were interviewed backstage where they talked trash about the Riott Squad and how they were going to give them a beating and teach them a lesson.

• The Riott Squad defeated Carmella, Nattie and Tamina.

• The Riott Squad did a promo attacking the crowd and then announcing their entry into the Royal Rumble. Charlotte arrived to introduce her own allies, first Naomi and then - to the crowd's great delight - the returning Becky Lynch. They beat up the Riott Squad who escaped up the ramp.

• Baron Corbin did a pre-taped promo announcing he was going to be in the Rumble.

• Daniel Bryan attempted to keep Kevin Owens and Shane McMahon apart during the Main Event, while Owens asked the pertinent question of why Shane was even out there in the first place. After eventually the distractions settled down, the ref was accidentally knocked out of the ring when AJ had the upper hand.

• Owens "unknowingly" got in the way of the ref making it back to the ring so Shane McMahon got himself involved AGAIN and ordered Owens kicked out. Bryan got on the misc and said that if Owens was going, Shane had to go too. AJ attacked Owens which left himself open to the Helluva Kick, and Sami Zayn pinned the WWE Champion.

• Furious, AJ got on the mic and said he was tired of Shane and Bryan bickering like children, and Kevin and Sami constantly getting involved. He said they might as well make it a Handicap match, and a surprisingly gleeful Bryan agreed that at the Royal Rumble it would be AJ Styles defending his title against Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in a handicap match.

• Are they seriously trying to make Daniel Bryan the heel in all this? :psyduck:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Brock Lesnar is loving boring and should go away forever

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Erebus posted:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Erebus posted:

I love Brock Lesnar, but I have to agree with this. How does he keep making these monthly appearances where absolutely nothing happens?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Erebus posted:

I'm going to be very happy when Roman takes the belt off him so I guess the master plan worked.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I wish WWE would catch a Braun push.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

KANE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I wish everyone was Kane.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's peak modern WWE that we have an unmotivated Brock facing Kane at for the title at a major PPV

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Hated everything except Joe and Roman. See everyone tomorrow

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Loved everything including Joe and Roman. Long term booking wasn't amazing but they put on some drat good wrestling tonight.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I can't believe I'm going to say this but WWE has worn out the idea of the locker room clearing out. It happens everytime Brock shows up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but WWE has worn out the idea of the locker room clearing out. It happens everytime Brock shows up.

Nothing had even really happened when they came down (did we even see them rush out, or were they just suddenly there?)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gumball Gumption posted:

Like most WWE things, it was awesome the first time (Brock/Taker) and then they just decided to do it over and over again with diminishing returns until everyone stopped giving a poo poo.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Samoa Joe is one of the bright spots in WWE. He is a godly promo. He needs to be heel forever.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Like most WWE things, it was awesome the first time (Brock/Taker) and then they just decided to do it over and over again with diminishing returns until everyone stopped giving a poo poo.

Its a cool spot and I love it but it needs to be an actual brawl and it needs to escalate. Brock and Kane start fighting, the refs die in the process of stopping them, Angle tries to stop them and dies, the locker room clears out and all the jobbers get thrown into a trash compactor, and then the police shoot shoot Braun and Kane dead. The fight needs to escalate.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Alexa vs Asuka was not good. There were numerous flaws, but I think the one thing I can take away from this is that Alexa needs to lose the title as soon as possible. She hasn't had a compelling match in like...forever. Just have Asuka kill her (for the title) in a few minutes at RAW 25th or something and call it a day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dana Brooke is the only person who can pull a good match out of Asuka on the main roster.

(Actually tonight’s match was solid after the break. Except for Asuka shorting about 4 dropkicks.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 2, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

Alexa vs Asuka was not good. There were numerous flaws, but I think the one thing I can take away from this is that Alexa needs to lose the title as soon as possible. She hasn't had a compelling match in like...forever. Just have Asuka kill her (for the title) in a few minutes at RAW 25th or something and call it a day.

Maybe don't squash the young champion with good character work and something of a following.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean I understand why there isn't a secondary women's title but it kind of sucks, because while Alexa has great character work she isn't that great in ring. If she were able to work more in a mid card setting I think she could become great.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Gumball Gumption posted:

Good thing Brock, the champion, only shows up like once a year if we're lucky.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm glad Wrestle Kingdom is this week

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It seems like we finally made it to the balor club factory

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still can't wrap my head around the idea of having Asuka vs Alexa on this Raw. Even the stuff with her going to get Nia to back her up smacked of the end of a long drawn out series of Alexa escaping Asuka's menace but now it has FINALLY caught up to her... except their first real interaction was last week and Asuka completely dominated it and KOed her. Then they had this long back and forth match tonight while Asuka wins and... I don't know where we go from here unless it is something REALLY dumb like Asuka winning the Rumble and then losing to Alexa (or Alexa getting DQed to retain or something).

It feels rear end-backwards.

projecthalaxy posted:

It seems like we finally made it to the balor club factory

I was thrilled to see the Club hanging out with Balor at last though.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I read today that the only two wrestlers to pin Roman clean are Finn and Seth.

Is this actually true?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jerusalem posted:

I still can't wrap my head around the idea of having Asuka vs Alexa on this Raw. Even the stuff with her going to get Nia to back her up smacked of the end of a long drawn out series of Alexa escaping Asuka's menace but now it has FINALLY caught up to her... except their first real interaction was last week and Asuka completely dominated it and KOed her. Then they had this long back and forth match tonight while Asuka wins and... I don't know where we go from here unless it is something REALLY dumb like Asuka winning the Rumble and then losing to Alexa (or Alexa getting DQed to retain or something).

If I had to guess? I'd say that Absolution would have originally attacked and interrupted the match, but with Paige getting injured they did a last minute change.

Where were the rest of the women tonight, anyway? We've been getting multiple women's segments, but tonight it was only the Asuka/Alexa match (which was weirdly long, admittedly).

bartok
May 10, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Is this actually true?

I think Ambrose pinned Roman clean in a three-way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dexie posted:

Where were the rest of the women tonight, anyway? We've been getting multiple women's segments, but tonight it was only the Asuka/Alexa match (which was weirdly long, admittedly).

Well Sasha, Bayley and Absolution announced they were entering the Rumble, and Dana Brooke got involved in the Bray/Apollo match so I guess there was some presence even if there was only the one actual women's match.

bartok posted:

I think Ambrose pinned Roman clean in a three-way.

My first thought was that Roman did get pinned by Ambrose yeah, though I don't remember specifics so maybe it was Seth who took the pin.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

whoa did you guys see Kane?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Is this actually true?

iirc dean pinned Roman in the shield triple threat

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

My first thought was that Roman did get pinned by Ambrose yeah, though I don't remember specifics so maybe it was Seth who took the pin.

Roman speared Seth, Dean hit the ring, hit Dirty Deeds, pinned Roman.

Frankly, Dean has lasted way longer than I thought he would without Roman getting that win back.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/948075934028107776

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is this "Jason Jordan tries to weasel his way in/appropriate the Shield" thing seem reminiscent of Disco Inferno's attempts to get into the nWo to anyone else? Or am I reading too much into it?

Either way, I like that Jason Jordan has stuff to do, and a decent character with which to do said stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brock pinned Roman clean at Summerslam.

And Braun beat him clean at Payback.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 2, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please God let Drew Gulak get involved in the Woken Universe :pray:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So there’s 21 active women on the main roster, 19 if you don’t count champions. That’s a lot of room to fill.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
- Gallows & Anderson both seemed pretty jazzed and I can't blame them. I hope this leads to good things for all three guys. Wonder if G&A are going face or Balor's going heel.
- How the hell are they gonna find 30 women for that Royal Rumble. :stare:
- Goldust owns and is the best. Him taking twenty minutes to do a high cross while Gulak and Daivari just stood there waiting for it was my everything.
- The finish of that Asuka/Bliss match comes off pretty weird on Youtube, Asuka just hooking the Armbar out of nowhere. Dunno if it was like that on TV. Anyway, Asuka beating Bliss on Raw makes me terrified that she'll challenge for the belt at the Rumble, win it, then lose it to loving Rousey or something at the Rumble.

- They spent like all of 2017 being very careful with Roman and Samoa Joe, whenever they met one-on-one. They would use some trickery (usually Strowman) to make it so Joe won, even if they did it in a way that made the victory not mean much, Joe was always the one getting his hand raised. I ASSUMED that they were doing this to build a story where Samoa Joe had never lost to Roman one-on-one so that he could challenge Roman at a PPV, either for the IC Title or the Universal Title and the story would be that Joe has Roman's number so that there are points where you can actually believe that Roman will lose. Instead, Roman just beat the poo poo out of him last week and then beat him clean in the first Raw of 2018. Toss Samoa Joe on the trash heap with literally everybody else except Brock, then toss Brock on the trash heap three months from now. Great.

I really just don't give a poo poo how many good matches Roman has, as long as the storytelling is this awful, I'm never gonna get invested in him. They've done this like three loving times now, taken somebody who had a win over Roman, somebody who he could've had a PPV match for the Universal Title with at some point and then he just beats them with one Spear on Raw. gently caress off.

Aphrodite posted:

Brock pinned Roman clean at Summerslam.

And Braun beat him clean at Payback.

Roman was taped to the gills and the announcers were screaming about how he was injured at 3.000000000001, this came after Roman had beaten him clean at Fastlane and they did an angle after where Roman ~got his heat back~ by beating the poo poo out of Strowman, which, whoops, caused Braun to need surgery and knocked him out for two months. I would say the win at Payback rings pretty hollow but I guess it's a small miracle that Strowman hasn't been pinned with one Spear on Raw yet too.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 2, 2018

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Women's Rumble could just be 20 people instead of 30, or maybe they'll use a bunch of NXT people.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Molestationary Store posted:

Women's Rumble could just be 20 people instead of 30, or maybe they'll use a bunch of NXT people.

Angle confirmed it'd be 30 women tonight.

There's 22 women on the main roster. Take away Paige (injured) and the champions, that's 19, leaving 11 slots to be filled.

Between NXT and the possibly of former women coming back for a surprise appearance, and the possible return of Nikki Bella, it shouldn't be too hard to fill those 11 spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah you gotta figure there's a bunch of female ex-superstars who'd be jumping for a chance to be in the first Women's Rumble

Kelly Kelly :pray:

• Locked thread