Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Kind of tuned out TV the last month, is this actually happening?

Yes, he booked AJ Styles into a handicap (read: not triple threat) title defense at the Royal Rumble, against Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Kind of tuned out TV the last month, is this actually happening?

Tonight's show ended with Owens distracting the ref so Zayn wouldn't lose to Styles, Shane ejecting Owens, Bryan distracting Styles by saying Shane should leave too, Zayn beating Styles, Styles sarcastically saying if everyone's going to be stupid and just let Zayn and Owens fight him every time he has a match, why doesn't he just defend against both in a handicap match, and Bryan agreeing and making such a match

I don't know if we're at Russo levels of dumb overbooking yet, but it's gotta at least be close

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 3, 2018

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Smackdown had some on-paper good matches that were ruined by their usual idiotic booking

glad we can build to face Shane vs. Heel D-Bry :haw:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The worst part is that TJP is back. :gonk:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these loving morons are going to book face shane against heel bryan?

why do you still keep watching this crap?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

DarkstarIV posted:

Yes, he booked AJ Styles into a handicap (read: not triple threat) title defense at the Royal Rumble, against Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn.

Chris James 2 posted:

Tonight's show ended with Owens distracting the ref so Zayn wouldn't lose to Styles, Shane ejecting Owens, Bryan distracting Styles by saying Shane should leave too, Zayn beating Owens, Styles sarcastically saying if everyone's going to be stupid and just let Zayn and Owens fight him every time he has a match, why doesn't he just defend against both in a handicap match, and Bryan agreeing and making such a match

I don't know if we're at Russo levels of dumb overbooking yet, but it's gotta at least be close

Vince and Road Dogg are insane :psyduck:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

glad we can build to face Shane vs. Heel D-Bry :haw:

That would make sense. But. Lol

Dave said last week this is currently just like the Miz situation where they have no plans to have him wrestle, despite everything they're doing on camera looking like build to a match

So this is leading to nothing And wasting a month of Styles' second title reign

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
We lose a Ziggler and gain a TJP.

Hate how all Cedric's promos sound like a jr high student in a school play

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

That would make sense. But. Lol

Dave said last week this is currently just like the Miz situation where they have no plans to have him wrestle, despite everything they're doing on camera looking like build to a match

So this is leading to nothing And wasting a month of Styles' second title reign

hhahahaha its somehow worse then

on the plus side, we won't see shane kill bryan IRL with a botched coast 2 coast so, tiny blessings :angel:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I do like how Shane managed to turn both Sami and Bryan heel by being so insufferable.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Smackdown was really loving bad. Fire Road Dogg and end the brand split already

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Plz have Goldust on 205 Live forever.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dear God they're trying to turn Bryan heel.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

people I want to thank:
-whoever got me the avatar. Thank you!
-my father, for getting me cold meds and dinner when I badly needed both
-Vince McMahon, for wasting another metric shedload of money on a personal boondoggle
-whoever linked Aja Kong's entrance theme (shiksa, right?) because it's truly wonderful
-everyone here in Rowdy Ringsports, whose running commentary makes even the direst booking more tolerable
-Xavier Woods and Aiden English, who had a fine match in what was otherwise a quagmire of terrible storytelling decisions this week

I do not want to thank:
-Road Dogg, whose metaphorical fingerprints are all over this dog's dinner of SmackDown's main event scene
-Shane-O-Mac, who imo should just get himself a pricey convertible and a mistress, like all the other midlife crisis sufferers do
-Stephanie McMahon. She can either learn how to smile and talk like normal humans do or get off my TV screen, dammit

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 3, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any way the handicap match doesn't end with one of them turning on the other when he tries making the pin?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any way the handicap match doesn't end with one of them turning on the other when he tries making the pin?

They both pin him at the same time.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
If Bryan eventually comes back, this is outstanding storytelling. If he doesn’t, this was very bad and pointless.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I bet the Road Dogg beats Vince and HHH up with his strength and forces them to make bad shows instead of good ones.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

projecthalaxy posted:

I bet the Road Dogg beats Vince and HHH up with his strength and forces them to make bad shows instead of good ones.
No its because he is a troop and Vince/HHH respect the troops damnit!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wait, wait, let me get this strait.

The story that seemed like it was building up to Shane turning heel because he's becoming more and more corrupt and vindictive like his father and a nice easy return to the ring for Bryan to fight him so Bryan will be happy and not have to kill himself against a more serious opponent, is ACTUALLY building up to Shane staying face, Bryan turning heel and NO return to the ring for Bryan despite the constant teasing?

And both Owens and Zayn, rather than being in the Rumble where their recent push as Smackdown's highest position heels now that Jinder has fallen might make them believable winners, are in a HANDICAP MATCH against AJ WITH THE BELT ON THE LINE, which means win or lose they are going to look like complete chumps and this push for them will have amounted to either a title reign that means nothing and damages AJ, or a loss that will destroy any credibility they've gained through this push and gains AJ nothing.

Did I miss anything?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

wrestle kingdom is going to kick rear end

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

The story that seemed like it was building up to Shane turning heel because he's becoming more and more corrupt and vindictive like his father and a nice easy return to the ring for Bryan to fight him so Bryan will be happy and not have to kill himself against a more serious opponent, is ACTUALLY building up to Shane staying face, Bryan turning heel and NO return to the ring for Bryan despite the constant teasing?

And both Owens and Zayn, rather than being in the Rumble where their recent push as Smackdown's highest position heels now that Jinder has fallen might make them believable winners, are in a HANDICAP MATCH against AJ WITH THE BELT ON THE LINE, which means win or lose they are going to look like complete chumps and this push for them will have amounted to either a title reign that means nothing and damages AJ, or a loss that will destroy any credibility they've gained through this push and gains AJ nothing.

Did I miss anything?

Nope. That's about right.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
that smackdown was just awful, and the final match and outcome made no loving sense

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wanted AJ to become completely exasperated and just shout at everybody. Sami, Kevin, Shane, Bryan. They're all being idiots and dragging their drama into his title reign. He should get a free swing at all of 'em.

But uh yeah this is dumb.

Also, the finish of that tag title match is kinda...I dunno. I can totally buy "they mistook which Uso was legal" and that's actually even kinda clever, and I can even maybe buy "Gable is young and hot headed and accidentally thought he was the legal man", but I kinda can't buy "near-two-decade-vet Benjamin forgets he's the legal man".

But, it was over in the building and people cheered more for the Usos retaining than Gable and Benjamin winning. So. :shrug:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 3, 2018

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

VJeff posted:

but I kinda can't buy "near-two-decade-vet Benjamin forgets he's the legal man".

This in particular stuck out to me because Shelton's been doing a fantastic job in matches as "vet who's done this all before and knows how to get poo poo done."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I guess maybe they thought it'd be difficult to convey to a live audience what had happened if they had just covered the wrong Uso? Which is a defensible position, but you can at least finagle a way to have Benjamin outside the ring during that finish in that case.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jackie D posted:

I believe in Naito.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jackie D posted:

:yeah:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If Zayn and Owens win, can they legally Freebird the WWE title?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I'm sure it is just setting them up to return to enemies when they fight over who gets to pin AJ

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tweak posted:

I'm sure it is just setting them up to return to enemies when they fight over who gets to pin AJ

What if this is all building to an economic populism angle where Bryan reveals he wanted Zayn and Owens to be co-champions so they could take twice as much money from the evil corporate WWE machine, and AJ takes exception to this redistribution of wealth and sides with Shane to crush the worker's uprising in the name of Dickensian Greed?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

When Kane becomes the mayor, is he gonna have to retire from WWE? Just thought of this as I looked at my JACOBS FOR MAYOR t-shirt, which I own

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I really, aggressively wanted to be wrong in saying they were turning Bryan heel against Shane. I wanted it to be a case of giving them too little credit and not allowing them to be at all nuanced.

Give Roman every belt and close the company.

edit: also that tag match was stupid as hell, please don't ruin the awesome tag matches, theyr'e the only good thing left on Smackdown

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 3, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really wanna believe there's a little more to this, otherwise what was the point of Shane holding up the count at CoC and accidentally screwing AJ last week?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Maybe noone is a face or heel. Russo is back baby!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Chris James 2 posted:

Tonight's show ended with Owens distracting the ref so Zayn wouldn't lose to Styles, Shane ejecting Owens, Bryan distracting Styles by saying Shane should leave too, Zayn beating Styles, Styles sarcastically saying if everyone's going to be stupid and just let Zayn and Owens fight him every time he has a match, why doesn't he just defend against both in a handicap match, and Bryan agreeing and making such a match

Yeah, it's a bad plotline. Champion loses against each one of them....then asks for a handicap match?

And he didn't lose due to interference, but Shane distraction. Why are WWE so bad at writing so much of the time?

This also means with a handicap match that it will be another smoke and mirrors weirdo plotline match with 3 wrestlers who would do great with just being allowed to do a straight wrestling match :(

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Sanguinia posted:

Did I miss anything?

Just one thing- I'd guess that Shane's revenge is to make the match a tag match (or some similar variation) where he's AJ's partner, to try and even it out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A tag team match where AJ Styles can lose the title by Shane McMahon getting pinned would be pretty loving WCW of them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so does Shane have any influence on the booking or is this because road dogg thinks there’s a chance in a hell Shane will be in charge after vince dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

I believe in Naito.

Naito is going to win. I believe it in my heart.

• Locked thread