Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's coming as the new replacement for Lupin and/or DBZ Kai?
This poll is closed.
FLCL 2/3 19 14.96%
Some shonen bullshit no one likes 48 37.80%
Some shonen bullshit that people like 29 22.83%
Something totally out of the blue 15 11.81%
Sword Art Online 3 simuldub 16 12.60%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(As usual, feel free to post poo poo about other Adult Swim shows since no one in TVIV has started a new Adult Swim thread.)

Spoiler policy for ADTRW regulars please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching these shows. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo. Also everyone and their grandma has seen DBZ. Follow-up: not everyone has not seen DB Super, so again, be kind.

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime (and stuff like Batman: TAS but most people just remember the anime) and are most notable for basically bringing Dragonball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and people lost their poo poo nostalgia trippin' so now its back for good and has supplanted the AS Anime block.

Currently airing:

9:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai
like dis if u are a 90s kid

You thought Kai was dead? WELL TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER (or good for you motherfucker if you really like Kai, I guess) because much like Goku himself, Kai refuses to stay dead.

For those who somehow don't know, I should explain that the "Kai" is there because the animation has been remastered for HDTV (however, it has not been redone entirely, meaning that it is still the old footage in 4:3 aspect ratio, meaning that when this airs you will see annoying black bars on the side of your screen, but don't adjust your TV, it'll just make Goku stretchy (his lamest technique)). The voice acting has also been redone entirely, and the soundtrack has been replaced with the original Japanese one. Those of you who grew up watching the dubbed version in the old days with the replaced score by Bruce Faulconer may now feel free to get into heated comment wars about which music score is superior. Finally, the "Kai" is there because it cuts all the filler (bye Garlick Jr). None of that "whole episode worth of charging an attack" poo poo. Kai's all killer, no filler, baby. Unfortunately that means the episode where Goku and Piccolo drive cars is gone and thus the whole thing is HORSESHIT.

I was gonna look for more funny gifs but look, I think I know what everybody wants when we're discussing DBZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdlBxdqv8s

9:30 - My Hero Academia
pretty sure Deku's quirk is crying more tears than the human body is capable of producing

In a world where superpowers are the norm, all the kids want to train and be the next big superhero (this is a viable career option apparently), none more so than protagonist Izuku Midoriya. The catch though, is that Izuku has no power (called a quirk in this world because reasons), making him basically a freak, in a bad way. Can he somehow still become a hero even if he has no powers? Will meeting the world's #1 (and his personal favorite) hero All Might help? Probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcU73DZ_A4

10:00 - Naruto Shippuden
this show will never die

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Unfortunately he's got a demon locked up inside him and it seems like a bunch of evil guys want to capture it (and use it for nefarious purposes). Here's where the recap ends because Shippuden starts after a timeskip and Naruto (the original) is like 400 episodes long and I'm not reading the entire Naruto wiki to write a synopsis. Because god knows Shippuden sure doesn't waste any time explaining who old characters are, it just launches right ahead...

Naruto is the current holder of the Adult Swim title belt for "slowest moving program on the block" which is frankly remarkable since we watched all the way through loving Bleach.

10:30 - Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
or Bort: Nart Next Generations

i wish, kid...

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE LAST SHOW I GUESS because Boruto is Naruto's kid after Naruto becomes Ninja Jesus and the President and marries the girl with the big boobs. Boruto has unfortunately gained the "shonen protagonist" gene from his father which means that he's a little shitheel who has ~HIDDEN POWER~ and he can't age until there's a timeskip. So he's gonna hang out with all the other kids of all the other characters from Naruto and have adventures. A lot of people guessed that AS would acquire the rights to this show but they thought that they'd cancel Shippuden and put this in its place. Too bad motherfuckers because the Naruto power hour is here to stay (for now).

11:00 - Dragon Ball Super
Start charging your power levels

All right raise your hands, did you honestly think for a second that Toonami wasn't gonna show DB Super eventually? I mean DBZ was only their highest rated show ever, why would they not show the sequel series? ANYWAY, if for some reason, you've never heard of Dragon Ball Super, it's... well, basically just more DBZ. All your old DBZ buddies show up and save the world from evil bad guys and junk. If you're a big nerd, you can rejoice that Super's existence makes Dragon Ball GT non-canon. And hey it's still airing in Japan so you're not completely behind, even they don't know everything about the series! (you're completely behind, their episode count is already in triple-digits). It is important to note that the last two DBZ movies, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are actually canon in Super, however if you haven't seen those either, worry not because Super retells them in episodic format (with a few little differences).

11:30 - FLCL: Alternative

FLCL, also known as Fooly Cooly, is a super-weird show about robots, aliens, guitars, vespa motor-scooters, and also puberty metaphors

FLCL was but a 6-episode long one-season show... until a few years ago. However Toonami shelled out the dough to coproduce two additional 6-episode seasons with Production I.G.

The two seasons are named FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative. Annnnd that's pretty much all we know about them. I mean here's a couple trailers....

This one's for Alternative, the one airing now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkuouO8qUvw

And this one's for both seasons, so there's a little bit of Progressive and Alternative in there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lleTz_DQTh4

And here's several Behind the Scenes videos from both the Japanese and English production staff...

But there's still no real plot details or character stuff revealed. The main character of Alternative is Kana, she has brown hair. She looks to be more cheerful than our previous protagonist, let's see how that goes.

So all the ingredients for something are there, with an all-star voice cast, much of the original animation team, and The Pillows doing the soundtrack. Now cross your fingers and let's see if they can put it all together...

12:00 - Attack on Titan Season 3
now with 50% less attacking titans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySYz8qtdmXM

yes, AoT is back, love it or hate it. After developments last season (I'm not gonna recap it, you've got google, do it yourself) showing that Titan shifters (and bad ones, not the good idiots like protagonist Eren Jaeger) it looks like the Titans outside the walls may be less of a concern than the mystery and intrigue inside. However this means less fighting of Titans which is ostensibly the draw. A lot of folks have fallen off the AoT bandwagon and this one looks to be divisive as well.

12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
What the hell did you say about my thread?

The plot of Jojo's is way too long and convoluted to boil down into one paragraph but suffice it to say it involves following a family on bizarre adventures, and then the story ends and a new chapter starts down the line with a new protagonist that is somehow related to the prior one. Jotaro Kujo (front part 3) has been sent to quiet Morioh Village to hunt down a woman who his grandpa Joseph Joestar (from part 2) knocked up back in the day, presumably so Joseph can write her her into his will or something, who knows, but also to find a vicious killer in Morioh. Along the way, he runs into the Jojo/lead of this part, Josuke Higashkita, who is technically his uncle. Weird. Anyway now that Stands are a thing, expect all sorts of batshit powers to show up as these Jojos try to stop the person causing bizarre incidents in town (the show makes that joke, not me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdASY_hfn9E

1:00 - Black Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmxsgXqAQg

Imagine if you will, that animes are foods. Imagine then, if instead of trying to create a new dish with a new flavor, you took a bunch of leftovers out of the fridge, and blended them into a disgusting protein shake of flavors you've already tasted and might be kind of tired of. This is Black Clover. Main character Naruto Asta is a poor orphan born into a world full of magic, he's poo poo on by everyone in his village, and one day he swears he's gonna be King of the PiratesHokagethe Wizard-King of the land and earn everyone's respect! Unfortunately he's bad at ninjutsu one of the only people in the land who possesses zero magical ability, in a world where magic is everything (take a shot when you hear this phrase and die in a half-hour)! And his best friend and broody loner Sasuke seems to be the best at everything, even possessing a special bloodline ability Devil Fruit power Stand 4-clover grimoire that proves he's the super-best at magic. But one day he gets super-mad and summons his super-cool and super-edgy demon chakra 5-star grimoire to prove he's gonna be the greatest magical knight and eventually become Wizard-King and marry Sakura some nun, his love interest who does not love him!

This show is incredibly sub-par and you should feel bad for Adult Swim for buying it. I mean it was supposed to be the hot new poo poo, broadcast rights probably cost them a pretty penny. Then everyone hated it. It got moved from a pretty sweet spot at the start of block to back here.

1:30 - Hunter X Hunter
Now featuring 100% more weird karate powers

Hunter X Hunter is a show about a kid named Gon who wants to find his dad after finding out said dad isn't as dead as he was led to believe. His dad was a Hunter, which in this world is a Big Deal, so Gon figures that's how he'll get a lead on him. Gon got his Hunter license, so now we're just watching him and his friends go on merry adventures doing things like starting a coup against a regime of deadly ant monsters that themselves overthrew Anime North Korea. For kids! It's written by the guy who created Yu Yu Hakusho, which was one of the first shows on Adult Swim oh so many years ago, so perhaps airing on Toonami was Hunter X Hunter's destiny. Anyway, here's the toonami promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGgSyiWcwhk

And here is the ADTRW thread for it which I recommend reading the OP of because it's very funny.

2:00 - One Punch Man

So have you ever seen that clip from the end of Justice League where Superman talks about living in a world of cardboard? Imagine if Superman were even stronger and didn't give a gently caress. One Punch Man is a phenomenon that grew from a webcomic with lovely art to a professionally drawn manga to getting a full anime. It's about Saitama, a guy who's a superhero for fun, and his day to day life facing threats that would be the final battle in any other anime... and also getting excited about making it to the supermarket when they have good deals.

2:30 Death Slot - Lupin the Third Part 4

Okay so Lupin revolves around Lupin and his gang of master thieves stealing poo poo. Here's your cast:
  • Lupin - He's the leader, the planner, and kind of a jack of all trades. He is the greatest thief in the world yet somehow he just walks around in broad daylight despite everyone in the world knowing his face. Also he has a cool watch with a grappling hook in it.
  • Jigen - Jigen is a master gunman. He can use any firearm, though he mostly doesn't need to since he's so good with just his pistol. He and Lupin are bros as he almost appears in every episode Lupin's in. He seemingly smokes constantly and he never takes his hat off so you can get a look at his eyes.
  • Goemon - Goemon's a samurai who looks, talks, and dresses like he wandered in from another anime. Anyway he's a very stereotypical samurai, as he's got super reflexes and can cut through basically anything with this sword. Also he's not in that many episodes so I guess he's off having side adventures.
  • Fujiko - Has fantastic boobs. Okay that's a little reductive. Fujiko is also a master of disguise and is great at picking locks. She does often play femme fatale though, using her looks to lure targets into doing dumb poo poo.
  • Inspector Zenigata - Zenigata is an Interpol agent that has been chasing Lupin forever. He's the Tom to Lupin's Jerry. Ironically, despite getting clowned on constantly by Lupin, Zenigata is actually shown to be a very good cop whenever he's put on any other case. He just can't chasing Lupin.
Most of this season takes place in Italy, because Italy's tourism board co-funded it.

3:00 Death Slot - Cowboy Bebop

Okay look if this is your first time seeing Cowboy Bebop and you're watching Toonami and you somehow haven't seen it in the ~10 year period where Adult Swim was running it every single Saturday, if not every single night? Well congrats you get to see a good show, but more importantly, who are you because I don't believe you exist. Anyway after a brief period where Cowboy Bebop wasn't on the air(!) it's back again to remind you that you're up too late but wow isn't that one episode great I should stay up and watch it... :suspense:

3:30 Why are you still awake Slot - Samurai Jack
Gotta get back to the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtgXDiXr-0M

Samurai Jack was a cartoon on Cartoon Network that ran from '01 to '04. It was pretty great, mixing great action with humor and mostly remembered for being stylish as poo poo. I mean, it won an Emmy. Through some dark magic it got brought back 12 years later for a finale. Opinions are mixed about how good the season was (in particularly people arguing if the finale sucked or not). Everybody agrees that the first few are good though, and if you've never seen the old episodes they're all on Hulu and you should definitely watch them.

Frankly though if you're up this late you're probably half-asleep anyway and you don't give a poo poo what you're watching.

What's still coming this year?

Who can say? Several shows are wrapping soon with zero replacements announced. FLCL Alternative wraps in October, and Toonami doesn't like to do repeats of shows (at least not in good spots) so you can bank on something new going there most likely. My Hero Academia season 3 isn't confirmed but I mean come on, probably. And after that AoT S3 will end. After that we've got a looot of long-running shonen which will probably stick around until they end sometime in 2025. Personally I'm not betting on Naruto making it to its finale but who knows. Anyway regarding that gap:

The following franchises have aired on Toonami before and have since had new seasons and/or reboots released but not aired over here. Since Toonami likes to stick with what works for the most part, these have a higher chance of airing here than most:
  • SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online - Technically a spinoff of SAO but whatever
  • JoJo's - Part 5 isn't even out yet and it definitely doesn't have a dub but I'm just sayin Toonami likes to stick with what works and they've already done the other Jojos so far.
  • Lupin Part 5 - Again, I don't know if Part 5 is even dubbed yet but it's a Toonami classic so cross your fingers?
  • Tokyo Ghoul - apparently this is some sort of reboot or FMA: Brotherhood retelling of the first Tokyo Ghoul? Ugh...
  • Blue Exorcist - *yaaawwn
  • SAO 3 - not being ironic here, like it or not SAO got ratings and got people talking. Some say that it can't happen, but they said that about Jojo's and look where we are.
  • One Punch Man - nothing much to say here, there's a season 2 coming, OPM is hella popular, the math does itself
Place your bets now!

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Waffleman or Baal or I dunno who's running it these days is building you a better cartoon show. They it Goonami what nerds amirite. They just post poo poo on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Synchtube and you can watch.

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running strong now since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Family Guy reruns.

...Okay so listen looking through AS's site and cross-referencing wikipedia to find what is and isn't canceled is a real pain in the rear end so I'm not gonna because 99% of this thread is Toonami chat anyway so here's

UPCOMING/RENEWED SHOWS

Hot Streets
ummm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7YHqDi1KQ

Note: none of the following have scheduled airdates, all I'm going from is Wikipedia's list of shows and checking the non-canceled ones.

Mostly 4 Millennials

From the same crew behind another AS show, Totally for Teens, so here's some clips of that as it sounds very similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Z375WQ9xU

Dream Corp, LLC

Ummm....

Wikipedia posted:

Dream Corp, LLC concerns a psychotherapeutic facility by the same name. Helmed by the easily distracted Dr. Roberts, the facility treats patients with troubling dreams. Roberts employs a team of incompetent scientists to help analyze and record those thoughts plaguing the doctor's patients. The patients are composed of a rotating cast, a selection from which appears in each episode
ah yes, that's just what I was going to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfK2xp7wnJc

The Eric Andre Show

Eric Andre is back for the best late night show on television. That's all the summary you loving need, Eric Andre rules, watch this show you cretins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5uLc0N4r2U

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles is a show by two Funny or Die writers and it should have died but it is on a 3rd season, proving that God is dead. The joke, the only joke, is “What if Lassie were a demon hound?” And that's it. It's just awful. If you are watching Mr. Pickles you are a bad person for providing it ratings.

Neon Joe: Werewolf Hunter

Neon Joe is... um... well... hmm. Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYksJUfyxEw

Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories

I haven't liked anything T&E have done since Tom Goes To The Mayor but if you love the guys, even more good news, apparently there's more Bedtime Stories coming. You know what, I lied, I do like something Tim & Eric have done because in the middle of writing this I remembered Paul Rudd At His Computer exists and I'm just gonna post that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk

Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is basically what would happen if Doc Brown was even smarter, but a raging alcoholic and Marty McFly was his stupid grandson. Has its own dedicated thread here. Surprising no one, the show got renewed for a fourth season, because it loving rules. Also surprising no one, it has spawned an insufferable fanbase of nerds who yell at McDonald's employees for not having a discontinued sauce. But anyway, watch the show if you haven't already, you're really missing out. rick and morty a hundred years dot com

Squidbillies

Squidbillies is basically Aqua Teen Hunger Force with redneck jokes. It's very funny, but if you don't like ATHF's style of low budget, barely-animated comedy well then you won't like this.

Mike Tyson Mysteries

Mike Tyson Mysteries is exactly what it sounds like, which is to say loving nuts. It's Mike Tyson solving mysteries with his adopted daughter Yung Hee (Rachel Ramras), his ghost pal Marquess of Queensbury (Jim Rash), and Pigeon (Norm MacDonald) an alcoholic womanizer whose ex-wife magically turned him into a pigeon who lives with Mike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58WJ-4PxcU

The Venture Brothers

Well it happened. Season six finally happened. Season 7 and 8 have been announced. I'm sure all our grandchildren will find them very funny when they're released in 2050. Has its own thread here (link may be/probably is defunct but gently caress you I'm not gonna go to TVIV and find the new VB thread to link it here).

A bunch of other bullshit

AS basically renewed every other show they produce though so look forward to [YOUR FAVORITE SHOW]. Hell, they haven't formally canceled Black Jesus yet, even though Charlie Murphy's dead. There's still a shitload from this list that's yet to be formally announced so maybe look forward to something from that?

Also as previously mentioned, Family Guy reruns. AS killed off The Cleveland Show and King Of The Hill, but I don't think they'll drop FG unless a Fox exec forces them at gunpoint.

oh and SAO 3 is totally gonna simuldub here you heard it here first.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the chimera ant arc of hunter hunter is probably the best shonen arc ever and honestly one of the best parts of any manga ever and indeed a legitimate accomplishment in the field of fiction as a whole, and i hope the dub gives all the antagonists good voices, especially pitou, who has done and will do nothing wrong in their entire life

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TwoPair posted:

Imagine if you will, that animes are foods. Imagine then, if instead of trying to create a new dish with a new flavor, you took a bunch of leftovers out of the fridge, and blended them into a disgusting protein shake of flavors you've already tasted. This is Black Clover.

And here's where I'd put a gif of Asta drinking that juice thing he's always using if I had one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am looking forward to the next arc in IBO as for those who are just watching the dub will get to finally learn the unofficial tagline for the second season.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
hello new thread

fyi the dbz kai youtube was pulled since you c/p'ed it from last year, possibly others I didn't click them all :v:

quote:

Also, if you watched Lupin back in good ol' 2003, this adaptation has the exact same dub cast! Neat! except for Zenigata, he's different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYYT1ekkeg
on a completely unrelated note if you were unaware the lupin dub has different OP/EDs which is bullshit

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I liked Hunter x Hunter

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Polygynous posted:

hello new thread

fyi the dbz kai youtube was pulled since you c/p'ed it from last year, possibly others I didn't click them all :v:

Oh thanks! The thumbnail was still there so I thought it still worked. I guess YouTube doesn't pull those? w/e...

quote:

a completely unrelated note if you were unaware the lupin dub has different OP/EDs which is bullshit

The op of Lupin is a crime. Like say what you will about the cuts on Jojo or whatever, but at least the songs are there! Ugh...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Go Pitou.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every Saturday night at 9:30, I bring you the finest in anime that probably won't get on Toonami. Come on down to https://cytu.be/r/goonami at about 7 for the Youtube preshow.

Jormungand

Her name is Koko, and she's loco. Koko Hekmatyar is a young arms dealer who's amassed quite a following. Problem is, lot of those people wanna kill her. Luckily, she's got a ragtag group of mercs by her side to help her out, including the newest recruit Jonah, a former child soldier. Jonah's gotta learn a lot about dealing with Koko, but he's definitely getting a lot of job experience. If you liked Black Lagoon, but want it to be more PUBG, this is for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDhEtUl7U-A

And starting this week, a new addition since Black Clover is just that bad!

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid

An epidemic has swept Japan! People everywhere are succumbing to a mysterious video game related illness! So who better for the job than Emu Hojou, a former professional gamer and new pediatric doctor? Stumbling upon the secret branch of his hospital dedicated to fighting the game sickness, Emu joins up with them, fighting off the disease as Kamen Rider Ex-Aid! Unfortunately for him, his fellow doctors don't have the best bedside manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7xWcS_x6Kw

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 5, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ground floor of new year,same toonami.

Can't wait to actually see some Jojo after waiting 2 weeks of marathons.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This weekend I learned something amazing about next week's Dragon Ball Super episode.

(very minor spoilers) The Vegeta clone is voiced by Brian Drummond, aka the original Vegeta dub voice, aka "Mr. OVER 9000" himself.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
New year, new thread, same ol' anime.

Anime. Anime never changes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Last Year in Naruto: I think we may have met Killer B briefly? Hard to remember, since much of the year was spent KNOWING PAIN. The animators were replaced by people with talent and budget for one episode that had a fight between the 9 Tails and Pinhead look like an old Chuck Jones short, and the rest was Pain destroying the Hidden Leaf (again), invoking US Nuclear Policy, and naturally relaying his Bleach tragic backstory to Our Orange Boy, who promptly forgave him for blowing up the village that used to hate him and nearly killing his future wife. After Pain killed himself for no adequately explored reason to rez all the supporting characters he just killed, the entire village hailed Naruto as a hero and would've been an excellent place to end the anime.

Unfortunately, it continued. The anime has now entered THE FILLERING, in which the anime team attempt to recapture the bits of Part 1 people liked by actually having whole episode flashbacks to Part 1 to Things That Never Happened with all the anti-war/hatred themes of Shippudden. I am given to understand this pattern will continue until the heat death of the universe, so feel free to continue ignoring Naruto. You are now missing literally nothing.

In related news, the Boruto anime started in Japan last year, and to everyone's surprise, is Actually Decent. Don't read the manga, though, that's still awful.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're like "Why the hell did they license Black Clover instead of My Hero Academia" the answer is My Hero Academia is probably too expensive for AS to license.

If you like the Black Clover manga and wonder why the anime is so bad the answer is: Studio Pierrot

I was hoping it wouldn't get Studio Pierrot'd, but it got Studio Pierrot'd extremely hard. Which is baffling because one of the biggest strengths of the source material is the pacing.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 3, 2018

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Fabricated posted:

If you're like "Why the hell did they license Black Clover instead of My Hero Academia"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm pretty sure there was a tweet last thread that mentioned they wanted to get the rights to My Hero Academia and Mob Psycho but they straight up can not. I don't think it is a money thing.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

limp_cheese posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a tweet last thread that mentioned they wanted to get the rights to My Hero Academia and Mob Psycho but they straight up can not. I don't think it is a money thing.

Ancient Magus Bride is in this boat as well.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

DizzyBum posted:

This weekend I learned something amazing about next week's Dragon Ball Super episode.

(very minor spoilers) The Vegeta clone is voiced by Brian Drummond, aka the original Vegeta dub voice, aka "Mr. OVER 9000" himself.

He had a line in the previous episode, so it's not a spoiler.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I want you all to know that people have been keeping tabs of every Black Clover episode and this poo poo cannot even keep the most forgiving nerd around for not even SEVEN episodes. We may be looking at Toonami's first Beware the Batman in that we will drop this poo poo before it can finish a single season!

Also Magnus Bride, Academia and I think even Blue Exorcist season 2 are being horded by Amazon/Netflix? Toonami doesn't have much bargaining power compared to one of the biggest companies in the world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crabtree posted:

We may be looking at Toonami's first Beware the Batman in that we will drop this poo poo before it can finish a single season!

Honestly Beware was not too bad. I feel like people were overly harsh on it. (Not that CN did not smother the series in its sleep)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

I want you all to know that people have been keeping tabs of every Black Clover episode and this poo poo cannot even keep the most forgiving nerd around for not even SEVEN episodes. We may be looking at Toonami's first Beware the Batman in that we will drop this poo poo before it can finish a single season!

Also Magnus Bride, Academia and I think even Blue Exorcist season 2 are being horded by Amazon/Netflix? Toonami doesn't have much bargaining power compared to one of the biggest companies in the world.

Kinda surprised they couldn't/didn't get Blue Exorcist 2 since the first season aired on AS. But yeah, Amazon is a tough monster to fight.

Also I doubt that Clover's getting shortened. BtB only got marathonned because WB was about to yank the rights away but IIRC CN had a contractual obligation to air every episode even if it was at loving 5 AM. Black Clover on the other hand is a very new anime that AS probably had to put up some good money for, and they undoubtedly have broadcast rights for at least however long it'll take to run the whole series. Unless the ratings become just abysmal, they're probably not going to do anything.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 3, 2018

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Crabtree posted:

Magus Bride and Mob are both directly licensed by Crunchyroll and this indicates that CR is not interested in sharing those titles with television because they probably drive a lot of subscribers. Funimation probably feels the same about My Hero Academia, even though they sublicensed the dub to Hulu after it was out for a while, since Hulu only has 12 million subscribers and shares ad revenue with the provider, in addition to also having very flexible subcontracting deals.

Blue Exorcist season 2's dub went to Hulu, who bought total exclusivity over it, which is why it won't be available anywhere else and it's also where it got to premiere.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
https://my.mixtape.moe/vzzkev.mp4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's kind of amazing that was on Toonami.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I remember watching Hamtaro on Toonami in elementary school.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would gladly trade Black Clover for more Hamtaro.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's kind of amazing that was on Toonami.

I'm pretty sure that's like the only one Demarco has come right out and said the network forced them to air. I mean I'm sure there's others but that's the only one that's been admitted.

Funky Valentine posted:

I would gladly trade Black Clover for more Hamtaro.

Hell, same. At least Hamtaro carries potential for laughs.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

TwoPair posted:

I'm pretty sure that's like the only one Demarco has come right out and said the network forced them to air. I mean I'm sure there's others but that's the only one that's been admitted.

Yeah, Hamtaro was forced on them. It's funny how that show remains so ingrained in fans' memories considering it was only on the block for two months before being moved to the hour before Toonami.

After 2003, Akins and Demarco basically lost control of the block and were reduced to producing promos and bumpers. At this point they had more influence over Adult Swim's anime choices like Fullmetal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo. Meanwhile Toonami was picking up shows like Transformers Aramada, SD Gundam Force, Pokemon, Duel Masters, but they got to make IGPX.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Pre-Flight Q&A show next week.

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/photos/a.1442483259375850.1073741828.1440408039583372/1850159528608219/?type=3&theater

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of, if next week's a Q&A, I'd bet money that Lupin's replacement gets announced at tomorrow's Pre-Flight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

livingfruitvirus posted:

Magus Bride and Mob are both directly licensed by Crunchyroll and this indicates that CR is not interested in sharing those titles with television because they probably drive a lot of subscribers. Funimation probably feels the same about My Hero Academia, even though they sublicensed the dub to Hulu after it was out for a while, since Hulu only has 12 million subscribers and shares ad revenue with the provider, in addition to also having very flexible subcontracting deals.

Blue Exorcist season 2's dub went to Hulu, who bought total exclusivity over it, which is why it won't be available anywhere else and it's also where it got to premiere.

Oh guess I overshot the likelyhood of Amazon or Netflix dividing up the anime environment, but its still just as bad when streaming is basically loving up Toonami's line up.

But even the Shiteaters of Toonami probably aren't going to take too well to Black Clover now that the general anime nerd public is poo poo talking this thing.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.facebook.com/Toonami/videos/1850648605225978/

quote:

Toonami’s excited to announce the return of Space Dandy! Premiering January 27 @ 2:30am. Check out the full line up below:

10:30p – Dragon Ball Super
11:00p – Dragon Ball Z Kai
11:30p – Black Clover
12:00a – JoJo: Stardust Crusaders
12:30a – Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
1:00a – Hunter x Hunter
1:30am – Naruto: Shippuden
2:00am – Outlaw Star
2:30am – Space Dandy
3:00am – Cowboy Bebop
3:30am – GITS 2nd GIG

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol that sucks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait

That's the Lupin replacement?

E: My guess is that they couldn't get a show negotiated in time for the block to vacate and needed something to fill it for a while.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finance 👏 a 👏 dub 👏 of 👏 Jojo's 👏 Part 👏 4 👏 and 👏 air 👏 it 👏 simultaneously

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does anyone even make it past Hunter?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, gently caress, I own all of Space Dandy at this point, I can just go watch that poo poo whenever I want instead of staying up until 2:30 every week to see episodes I've already seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/949416680626802688

I was correct.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Could be worse. They could have brought back Bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I'd welcome season one of Bleach instead of any more Black Clover.