Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bulll Pain's post WCW career is far more interesting than his WCW one. He caught on with IWA-MS, Ian Rotten's proto-PWG promotion, and his rep was basically "I am going to stiff the everloving poo poo out of you", to the point where younger guys who worked for Ian regularly would get thrown in with Bull if a)they did something that pissed off the locker room or b)To test their mettle. Sometimes he'd take it too far, though. Take it away, Chris:

quote:

He relays a story where Eddie Kingston legitimately breaks his ankle during a three-way match with himself and Pain where Pain attempts to slap a submission ON THE BROKEN ANKLE. Kingston, afraid this no-talent is going to further injure him, taps out immediately. Pain panics and wants to go to the finish but Hero calms him down since it's the main event.

After the show, Pain heads backstage with his newly won title and asks Kingston how he is. According to Hero, Pain didn't even wait to hear "War King's" answer.

With Kingston temporarily out of commission, Pain and Hero continue their feud. He continues to bury Pain when describing how awful their successive matches were. It was bad enough, Hero made a shoot comment about wrestling Kingston in a Loser Leaves Town match simply to give himself an out from the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Xerzes posted:

Action Zone existed to re-air on cable the matches from the syndicated Wrestling Challenge, as I recall, as well as following the usual WWF formula of b-shows, having a storyline or two within its first few months, then being utterly forgotten by the big names of Raw and Superstars.

And I still remember and love that vignette of King Kong Bundy knocking over big cardboard buildings.

There's one really great match from the Action Zone period: HBK and Diesel vs Razor Ramon and 1-2-3 Kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dud9ty6TUdE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

thefncrow posted:

Hilariously, they still might want to overdub that theme. His WCW theme at the time was a blatant ripoff of Pearl Jam's Evenflow. Even if they could easily get the rights to that bit of music, I bet the WWE lawyers would still be iffy about having it on the VODs in case Pearl Jam finally decided to do anything.

This was an era where a bunch of WCW's entrance themes were re-recorded rip-offs of popular music. There was a lot of this going on. DDP, Saturn, Raven, Rick Steiner, Jericho, and probably at least 5 others had themes that were soundalikes.

The PJ ripoff is part of the Turner Library, it's called "Basketball Highlights #11" . I don't imagine it'd be PJ's lawyers but Turner's, unless they no longer own the rights

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I couldn't make heads or tails of that Survivor Series match graphic so I looked up the card... So they deliberately put heels and faces, some of whom were feuding with each other, on both teams? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? (Also there's apparently a women's match on there that would probably have been great if it got time. It didn't.)

Yeah, it was an idea to generate interest. They do it in Mexico a lot, as "Parejas Increibles".

I remember Ahmed Johnson promising that he had Shawn's back but if the other two hosed with him, he's show them the meaning of medieval, which was the first time I'd heard that word in that context.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Matt Borne and Brad Armstrong are both guys that fell into the trap of being good workers that were branded as 'boring' so kept getting given goofy gimmicks, or being asked to put over less talented guys.

Borne's story is somewhat more complicated than that, he was a guy with a drug problem who had a habit of wearing out his welcome (which is one of the reasons why he stopped being Doink).

Borne did well for himself in the Portland territory, which was one of the last hot territories in the U.S.. I agree that the biz missed the boat on him in a sense, though.

• Locked thread