Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«123 »
  • Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is Kelly Olynyk the best player on the Heat right now?

This was inevitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chilihead posted:

I have to say i am really impressed with what Boston is doing. Not just winning, but how they are winning. Really what they have are a bunch of basketball players. 3 or 4 point guards, 3 power forwards, 3 small forwards and a whole team that plays "team ball." It's amazing!

i hate it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is cool:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/st...762120052727808

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is a really good piece on Kyle Kuzma

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/...nsation-feature

the best thing in the piece:

quote:

Still, in the months leading up to the draft, the knock on Kuzma from scouts who saw him play in college went beyond his defense: His shooting form wasnít particularly inspiring, and his 63 percent free throw mark was concerning. Several on the Lakers staff, however, saw things differently, most notably scout Bill Bertka, now 90. Lakers director of scouting Jesse Buss told ESPNís Ramona Shelburne that Bertkaís reaction after watching Kuzma play in the Pac-12 tournament was: ďIf this guy isnít an NBA player, then I donít know what the f --- Iím looking at.Ē

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

We just out here tipping more than $13

i love this dude https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/948809936607170562

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pff didn't even try to put up some blocks typical lazy defense player.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

Apparently today was the highest ever total score in one day by Australians in the NBA, at 86.

Also, the Spurs/76ers match was the first ever in which the top scorers for each team were Australian. (In this case, Patty Mills and Ben Simmons.)

Only know this because the Australia specific NBA site goes out of its way to talk about how great the Australian players are.

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

Chairchucker posted:

Only know this because the Australia specific NBA site goes out of its way to talk about how great the Australian players are.

The pick and roll I assume? They have some really great interviews/articles with some of the Aussie players.

I wish they would adopt Steven Adam's though as we usually do with all things kiwi that turn out to be good. I feel like world needs more Steven Adam's interviews.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

The greatest surprise after moving to Australia was finding out that everyone here loves basketball.

Also the cult of Dellavadova.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Urbodo/status/948619213262020608

https://twitter.com/BeniusisV/status/948612034509320192

Lithuanian reggae is fire

e: Gerald Green scored 27 behind 7 for 10 3pt shooting!

zoux fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 14:32

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Eltoasto posted:

I'm proud to report that Team Ced Ceballos and Shawn Marion survived the first episode of the Amazing Race, despite screwing up and also breaking a rule while screwing up.

I want more 90s NBA Amazing Race teams. I want NBA Jam teammates running around the world, Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson trying to fit into the back of really small taxis, etc.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

you're a flower. you're also a rainbow and a river. you are the manifestation of all perfection and i want to i don't fucking know, but you are fucking perfect

Eltoasto posted:

I'm proud to report that Team Ced Ceballos and Shawn Marion survived the first episode of the Amazing Race, despite screwing up and also breaking a rule while screwing up.

The end of that episode was intense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

Verhy old and rocky thoughts

Plaster Town Cop

Which non rookies are you most surprised by this year?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dejan Bimble posted:

LeBron didn't decline, so him I guess? Or how awful KCP has looked.

Oh, Dunn looks like he may be backup worthy!

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

DeRozan
Embiid almost already doubling his career total for GP
Drummond and Reggie Jackson both being good, fun players
Clint Capela being a better version of DeAndre Jordan
Tyreke Evans with an all-star level PER & WS/48
Taj Gibson having a career year at 32

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oladipo being all-star worthy is notable, too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Olidipo and the resurgence of Andre Drummond are probably 1A and 1B for me.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

Smellyhead posted:

The pick and roll I assume? They have some really great interviews/articles with some of the Aussie players.

I wish they would adopt Steven Adam's though as we usually do with all things kiwi that turn out to be good. I feel like world needs more Steven Adam's interviews.

Nah I mean how when you try to go to NBA.com it redirects you to this crappy Australian version that no one likes, and we all immediately go 'no thanks I'll take the real NBA site please' but if you linger on the Australian version it has some slightly different stories.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball.

I still say Drummond. His turn around at the FT line completely changed his game and the franchise he's on.

He scores better, rebounds better, and is available in the crunch time minutes now.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

Everyone here already said mine: Oladipo, Drummond and Demar. I guess I'll add Jimmy Butler too because I didn't think he would pan out. Also I guess D'Angelo Russell for the little bit he played, and Demarre Carroll for not looking like the completely broke rear end bum he looked like on Toronto

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

We just out here tipping more than $13

Lou Williams all star season

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

Coming in the club with that fresh shit on with something crazy on my arm

Pillbug

I almost exclusively watch the Celtics so I'll say Jaylen Brown has progressed much better/faster than I had expected.

dokmo
Aug 26, 2006

man

Sugartime Jones

Aaron Gordon

Lockback
Sep 2, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Aaron Gordon

lol, you purposely watch Orlando

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GarPax: "You Want it to be one way....but it's the other way."

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bobby Portis, expected him to be trash, he's become a very good 6th 7th man off the bench

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Lockback posted:

lol, you purposely watch Orlando

The first 10 games when Aaron Gordan was bombing 3's at a 50% rate was fun

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball.

Dexo posted:

Bobby Portis, expected him to be trash, he's become a very good 6th 7th man off the bench

By extension the entire Bulls roster. They're getting some weirdly good production right now. A late lottery rookie is putting up great stretch 4 numbers, they have a deadly bench combo in Mirotic/Portis, Dunn looks competent even if his shooting sucks (he's finishing at the rim better and has a weirdly efficient long 2), and I think they have a pleasant surprise in David Nwaba. They're tanking but they're not quite in a horrible position as a franchise.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

What franchises do you guys see as in horrible positions this year?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Everyone talks about Drummond's FT shooting, but I think it's equally impressive that he's tripled his assists and is facilitating in a way that almost nobody thought he was capable of

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What franchises do you guys see as in horrible positions this year?

Memphis.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

*~ayoo comin thru~*

Cool Buff Man posted:

Everyone talks about Drummond's FT shooting, but I think it's equally impressive that he's tripled his assists and is facilitating in a way that almost nobody thought he was capable of

That's partly on him, partly on a rejiggered offense. SVG is intentionally running lots of things through Drummond hand offs at the elbow. It's super cool tho.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

They're winning right now, but New Orleans is pretty loving dire since next year will just be a more expensive version of their current team if they give Cousins the max. They basically have to roll the dice on any euro refuge that can shoot a 3.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

He was always quietly a very skilled passer for his size but the new offense has opened that up a lot. Now he's not a black hole taking awful postups.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

Plaster Town Cop

A lot of good suggestions. Drummond making free throws and having the confidence to dribble is shocking.
Portis proving Evan and I right. Mirotic proving me right.Oladipo becoming the player who he was born to be.

Gary Harris becoming a very good player, even with Jokic out.

Spencer Dinwiddie going from d-league bounce around to solid pg.

Memphis keeps turning Ball dominant shooting guards (Tyreke) into decent players.

Shabazz Napier becoming an NBA rotation player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

Plaster Town Cop

CRISPYBABY posted:

That's partly on him, partly on a rejiggered offense. SVG is intentionally running lots of things through Drummond hand offs at the elbow. It's super cool tho.

The offense last year was endless Reggie Drummond pnr or Reggie handing off to KCP.

Jeff Van Gundy apparently cajoled his brother into putting some motion in their offense, which really paid off for the first 20 games or so, but they've been scouted and are playing closer to their talent. They don't seem much worse without Avery Bradley, but not having Jackson has caused some trouble.

What Bradley is good at is making 3 shots in a row in close games. Otherwise he seems like a shrug, because he's dwarfed by so many wings and isn't a great helper.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

If you guys would read Dejan posts once in a while Drummond's resurgence wouldn't surprise nobody. His first few years of stats were future hall of famer territory, and he was having breathing issues that he finally got corrected this offseason.

I'm probably most impressed by Spencer Dinwiddie and Steven Adams. Caris Levert is improving a bunch too. John Collins, Jarrett Allen and OG Anunoby are very impressive rookies. I don't want to keep naming mostly NY players but Enes Kanter with a slightly positive DBPM is a huge turnaround.

I'm not surprised by Jaylen Brown he had my ROTY vote last year.

Story of the year is almost certainly Utah's 24 y/o rookie Naz Mitrou-Long, currently posting a BPM of +55.3, scoring 151.6 points per 100 with a PER of 137.0

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lol. Colangelo is a walking shitbag.

https://twitter.com/bdetrick/status/948954458540724224

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

And the more I think about it the stupider it is to pretend that inheriting Lavar Ball's ridiculous overconfidence could be anything but a huge boon to one's ball-playing.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Embiid missing only 7 games so far has been really surprising, as well as the Sixers letting him off the leash from time to time and letting him play. his improvement in the post has been great to watch so really now it's on him to reduce his turnovers

I was gonna agree that Memphis was in a dire spot, but they own their pick this year and won't turn it over to Boston next unless they're late lottery (they keep 1-8 in 2019, 1-6 in 2020, and it's conveyed in 2021 regardless of spot). they need to go whole hog on the rebuild tho, unless they believe they'll be able to compete with a rookie next year

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2018 around 16:56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I've been 100% unable to evaluate T. Ferguson as a player because of the Will Ferrell/D. Hammond Celebrity Jeopardy skit where Connery insists on being called "Turd Ferguson" leaping to the front of my mind every time I look at him

• Locked thread
«123 »