Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

David Lee was an awful shooter what the gently caress are you guys talking about.

Randle has a bag of tricks for scoring, especially his big boy spins, of course no jumper, can't defend, very heavy
Noel was the first pick in the draft because he can jump, he can jump on one leg, two legs, from a standstill, from a walk, from a jog
He doesn't drop the ball as much as Javale Magee

But if a play unfolds and there's no obvious section where he needs to jump with/for/at the ball, he doesn't do anything.
Sometimes he does a pouty jump

I feel like jumpers have learned to play basketball after 6 years or so. It's happened. It doesn't always happen

EvanTH posted:

yeah Derozan is finally shooting .350 from three, just as the league moves into a new era where league average is closer to .360

Dwayne Casey sounded miserable when discussing their team mandated "culture change." Maybe they paid Kobe a consultant's fee to make a home video of himself taking threes, then sent it to Demar.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My memory is really bad
I need some nootropic drugs
I need the LIMITLESS drug

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Nerlens just looks so sad that you keep reminding him.

I feel like I'm getting stupider , it's probably a result of never getting sleep. It's what some call "the Tom Thibodeau effect"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Those spongebob jerseys would be 1000% better without a sponsor logo

Lockback posted:

You can't sleep because a greasy, older man is in a defensive posture hoarsely screaming at you to ICE, ICE?

That would make sleep hard.

That's the personification of my back muscles and he wears a very thin tie

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did you know that many of your favorite ballers cheat on their wives and leave unsupported children around the country

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Jota posted:

This is true but also if there were a ton of TV segments and articles talking about how great a person they were and then that news was brought to national attention about them people would also be like maybe that person isn't as great as we were pretending and was a flawed person just like everyone else and we're all gonna die and let's hope we don't get milkshake duck'd when we do

That's a fair point and I'll concede

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

To be honest, I am constantly surprised at learning what NBA players eat. I mean we are talking about some of the very best athletes in the world, performing top tier in one of the most athletically-demanding (from an overall standpoint) sports, and then you read that a beast like Dwight eats 2lbs of candy per day and has secret stashes around his house (?!?), or Rose and his skittles, or heaps and heaps of PBJ sandwiches etc.

I'd always assumed that they all min-maxxed like body builders and basically ate 5 gigantic meals of brown rice, broccoli, and chicken breast every day all season long.

To reiterate, younger guys will l eat inflammatory trash because they need kcs just to avoid metabolising their own muscles and passing out.

Guys who stay in the league longer switch to smarter, less inflammatory (not dr oz inflammatory fake, like inflammatory as measured by c reactive protein etc foods). Lebron apparently spends more than 1m on his body per year, really healthy food is a big part of that.

Joel Embiid drinking 1 pound of sugar per day is probably related to his constant injuries.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Which non rookies are you most surprised by this year?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A lot of good suggestions. Drummond making free throws and having the confidence to dribble is shocking.
Portis proving Evan and I right. Mirotic proving me right.Oladipo becoming the player who he was born to be.

Gary Harris becoming a very good player, even with Jokic out.

Spencer Dinwiddie going from d-league bounce around to solid pg.

Memphis keeps turning Ball dominant shooting guards (Tyreke) into decent players.

Shabazz Napier becoming an NBA rotation player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CRISPYBABY posted:

That's partly on him, partly on a rejiggered offense. SVG is intentionally running lots of things through Drummond hand offs at the elbow. It's super cool tho.

The offense last year was endless Reggie Drummond pnr or Reggie handing off to KCP.

Jeff Van Gundy apparently cajoled his brother into putting some motion in their offense, which really paid off for the first 20 games or so, but they've been scouted and are playing closer to their talent. They don't seem much worse without Avery Bradley, but not having Jackson has caused some trouble.

What Bradley is good at is making 3 shots in a row in close games. Otherwise he seems like a shrug, because he's dwarfed by so many wings and isn't a great helper.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://fansided.com/2017/12/29/scram-breakdown-defense-celtics-warriors/
A nice article by Jeff Seigel about "scram" and the principles that make mismatch based offense a lot less efficient than the Mark Jacksons of the world would have you believe

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

I've been arguing against this for years but nobody listens to your man dokmo. It is better to allow the offense to iso up against a mismatch and bring help than to try a complicated read and switch maneuver that nobody can perform when you don't have the smartest defenders on your roster.

It's probably a lot harder to make people question 'common sense' dictums than anything else

Add that to ted talk bullshitters muddying the waters and you get a troubly trouble

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 5, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Embiid's twitter is getting him the starter nod, as there have been front court players who have been better this season not in there. He does deserve an all-star spot though.
His per 36 numbers are nearly identical to Anthony Davis

But it's the all star game and it doesn't matter, people want to see Embiid, they'll get Embiid. I'm just excited to see the skills competitions

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CRISPYBABY posted:

Honestly I was kinda surprised he wasn't on a team already. I guess he was kind of rear end in Boston but he was good in Phoenix and Miami and there's pretty much always work for a bench gunner who can shoot the three like him. The Rockets are a perfect landing spot.

He had a flakka freakout, that's why he wasn't signed

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I voted for all the guys who'd make the game fun

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

But you didn't vote for Rubio?

I feel like the Jazz have given him clinical depression and I'm not sure he could recover in time for the game. But it would have been a good choice. I also sohuld have inckuded Portis

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

A real NBA trainer, a personal trainer rather than a team trainer, said players get so amped after games that it's almost impossible for them to sleep unless they smoke weed or have sex. Lebron knows that sleep is important for elite athletes.

But real Thai massage is a manipulation situation, no double entrendre intended, they fold you, yank and twist, rather than kneading or beating you. I don't know if it's better than other massage, people respond differently to different types.

My friend bought me one a while ago, it was not bad. Not masturbation involved

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
On the very first day of his first summer league, brolic said Dunn had the look. Where are all you doubters now

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Does anyone remember the url of that basketball history website?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

:siren: NBA AFTERDARK CHAT :siren:
It's basically a debate about whether culture is top down or bottom up. And like those debates it's obviously both. ESPN did not invent Lavar Ball. ESPN did not gift him 3 sons, including a lottery pick who is playing in the 2nd biggest market. They dont write his interviews/promos and he is clearly entertaining/controversial enough to break into mainstream culture on his own. On the other hand (and especially if you're a Frankfurt School Fuckboi like my pal Ghost Dog just kidding I love that poo poo too ) you might say that Lavar's very appeal to all of us has to do with media/entertainment companies shaping our tastes over time. Maybe the fact that we even give a poo poo about the NBA and about this obnoxious gasbag is because a cultural industry has manipulated us, giving us an endless stream of useless entertainment to distract us from banding together and resisting our diminishing lack of individual rights and agency. It's all just part of the system MAN.

Personally, I don't really give a gently caress. I don't have cable, don't watch ESPN and enjoy when Lavar Ball does stupid poo poo. Dunks are awesome. KD is a bitch.

On a related note, I do think it's a bit self righteous when all these old school sport reporters lament the end of sports journalism, as if reporting on summer league and trade rumous is somehow morally superior to asking some player's dad what he thinks. If Steve Kerr was only lamenting the loss of investigative journalism maybe I'd care a bit more (and I think his larger issues with ESPN are probably more applicable to mainstream NEWS organizations), but stop pretending that Marc Stein and Ethan Strauss are Woodward and Bernstein. Just because they have sources and chase a story down doesn't mean they inherently provide any civic or societal value. Besides, the only NBA related story of value over the past year was when we found out how Kevman saved the Warriors.

People would not care about Lavar Ball if he was a colorful LA figure who sometimes got a quote in the LA times. ESPN has devoted, without exaggeration, more than 100 cumulative hours to him, as a person, not to his pg son, but to him. They got ratings and he got to build an apparel brand.

But if he crosses them, they'll cut him out and his thing will crumble, so he's going to keep playing his sho'nuff silly foil character,until ESPN asks him to stop or to do something else.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Another point about Lavar Ball is that most people who aren't NBA addict fools, like us, don't watch the games. Not including playoffs, they might watch 6 games a year. Everything else is highlights or summaries. To that sort of fan, huge personalities are compelling and help the network pull them into viewing actual games.

I really just want to watch boxing and the Bucks/76ers becuase I figure Giannis and Embiid are as good or better than legends we heard about as the children of sports dads

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Dragon Ball Z was a cartoon that aired at 'just got home from school' time, on cartoon network, for about 12 years, and then lived on in various forms. It's crudely animated, repetitive, stupid, and bad even for a kid show from japan. But it's about fighting a progression of monsters and getting stronger so it appealed to many 7 year old student athletes, of all races. The adidas shoes are low effort.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The hypebeast off white nikes are so good but it hurts to ball in something that costs the same price as a nice safe used car for a 16 year old

I won't compromise on dragonball Z

If ballers want to look up to cartoons there's one word, Paul Terry's Toons, Gandy Goose and the Gang

Punkin Spunkin posted:

JVG whining about rest on the Lowe Post for the umpteenth time ("what's an 'adductor'?? We never heard these terms in the old HARD days so they're clearly not a thing") makes me super ready for more old people to die off already
Michael Shannon had it right.

It feels like a gimmick. Zatch knows he hates rest and the all star game, so he only asks him about rest and the all star game. It would be great if he asked him about interesting actions he's seen or unique skills guys are showing. We don't get the content we crave

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who has room and desire to trade for one of the "summer of massive contracts that we now regret" guys?

There was a bit on espn about Detroit being interested in Evan Fournier and sending out Stanley Johnson.

People have talked about Nic Batum, but I have no idea where he'd go.

The Bulls and Mavericks are the only teams with double figure cap space.

This season feels odd, the media is depressed about the lack of narrative, but there's a lot of very good basketball. It seems like attention spans are so short that anything happening for more than a week becomes established and unquestioned reality.

Nerlens Noel belongs on the Chicago Bulls

The Clippers will become the Nuggets (What does this mean?)

The Warriors have become a hated team while moving from a mostly working class city to the home of many of the most annoying things in the world.

Steph Curry has become underrated thanks to Nike's secret plan, another piece of evidence showing that horrible corporations have way too much human brainpower, like all the smart people working at investment banks who could be inventing black hole powered sleds.

Too much cleverness is a bad thing for society.

Everyone is excited for Jabari Parkour to come back but it's practically written in stone that it takes 1.5 years for guys to return to form after ACL surgery.

These are my disconnected and stupid insomniac basketball thoughts, have a nice day.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 12, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

You could read the NBA N/V thread, where I said this, or you could wait 11 months for the twitter "screenshot of text" news to break

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Mitigated by him focusing in on the basket with his newly unearthed Third Eye

If you've ever seen the last dragon, it's going to be like that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38Ec57yMG8
Love his older work

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Carlosologist posted:

if Walton gets fired does he get another HC job right away or does he go back to being an assistant? he has to have a mulligan for these last two seasons given the clown show going on in LA

he'd definitely be a hot pick for somebody like Milwaukee or Philly or whoever

A lot of NBA jobs are determined by who the league office people like, who's friends with GMs, who's friends with ownership. Steve Kerr got the Warriors job because he was connected to the spurs and bulls, which got him in the door in Phoenix, he became golfing buddies with several owners, especially Joe Lacob, which lead to him getting the GSW job.

Rick Carlisle got fired in Detroit, because he's a Thibodeau esque basketball genius who wasn't friends with management and didn't especially get along with his players. There's no way he wouldn't have won the championship with the roster Larry "Next Town" Brown had. And maybe more.

What walton has is pedigree, as in his father,career record, even including built to tank LA teams, and his reputation as a smart coach.

I think he'd have an easy time getting a job, I don't know if he'd be first in line for the best possible job, that would be someone who's playing low impact sports with owners and club presidents.

These are generalities and different organizations have different criterion collections of traits they search for. The worse the team, the more likely a local favorite or pure developmental guy will be hired, to take media bullets.
The better the team, the more owners and league connections seem to play in.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 13, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I watched two Suns games and I have something to say, Josh Jackson makes catch and shoot threes when he's in such a smooth but strong rhythym that he mashes the ball through his hair for a natural arc. Needs braids or a haircut. On the other hand, Stanley Johnson's shot always looks like a catapult fling.

WhyteRyce posted:

Rondo looked like a good defender because he had KG, Perk, and Thibs locking things down while he was free to gamble for steals

R.D. Mangles posted:

rondo is the weirdest nba player of his generation
In the end he became overrated because he played with all-stars and a hall of famer (yeah yeah yeah I said it ) made fun passes, and that's not so bad. It was hilarious to see he and Dwade almost beat the Celtics because they started trying hard, and his injury saving the day for Boston. His injury or Cameron Payne forgetting how to play basketball after 15 games of his rookie season.

Spite posted:

Is it controversial to say Jimmy's been their best player? Jimmy always seems like the dude that makes them go when I watch them. He has to play hard and focused or the whole team gets lazy.

Tae posted:

He's easily been the best overall player. The issue with Towns for most of the season is that he doesn't shoot enough.

Adjusted plus minus stats all say Jimmy Butler is a top 5 player and Towns is only top 25. Towns just doesn't do enough on defense, for a center.

That's become the most glaring piece of information for roster construction over the last 5 years, if your center is not in the top half of starting c's defensively (of course this can be strongly affected by scheme and the players around him), your team will be worse than it's supposed to be, even if he's an awesome unstoppable offensive player.

It's probably not revelatory to say Wiggins figuring out the simple parts of where to be and when on defense and the Wolves getting some defense from whoever they get as a 4 would probably be helpful. (Radio voice) But Towns just needs to get better.

Compare a super athlete, Jaylen Brown, and another super athlete of the same size , Andrew Wiggins on defense. Wiggins should be able to do something, something, sometime. And he's improved since last season, so hopefully he keeps improving.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 13, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

They're dying for scoring on the bench and a backup pg. I still have hope for him, because he has the kind of popcorn pop that little guys like Nate Robinson had, and it's an absolute necessity for getting shots off against normal sized NBA players. He's a demon at getting to the rim. Of course his only defense is pawing for steals. I really love watching him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls went from good but unwatchable, to mediocre to watchable but only because of jimmy, to crappy but unwatchable except for ludicrous drama, and now somehow they are bad but fun to watch.

Welcome to the Rodney Stuckey/Tayshaun Prince "A king and a prince" era of Detroit basketball

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

is it too late or too soon to relitigate Thibs minutes stuff? Poor old Taj Gibson is playing 33 mpg and is 12th in minutes played. Please be nice to Taj Thibs.

Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but he's slotted in at 4 but takes on center esque d-assignments so that Towns doesn't destroy them on defense in important sections of the game. If you deleted him from the roster, they'd be in trouble

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Depends somewhat on the matchup, but Towns has been taking on the rim-protection duties more often throughout the game. Obviously sometimes Taj is down there too, but that's pretty common across all teams. You usually don't go out of your way to adjust when you have a guy like Taj.

You've posted this a few times, but numbers don't really show Towns as a defensive liability anymore, and if you look at monthly splits he's been "good" since the 2nd quarter of this season, and by eye test largely confirms this unless your just focusing on the defensive misses that every player has.

He isn't good at defense now, I Don't know what your standards are. Wiggins went from awful to bad for a rotation player. If Towns could do that, it would help. If they could both manage to be, let's say, the 15th best defenders at their position, the wolves would be a serious threat

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

He's somewhere in the middle of all bigs, and on the lower end of starters but not near the bottom overall as you implied by "destroy them on defense". But after the first 20 games he was significantly lower, and the fact that he's been marching upwards on basically every defensive metric means he's been playing at a pretty high level for about half of this season. You realize the past 15-20 or so games the Wolves have been one of the best defensive teams, right? You post about Towns needing improvement but ignore the fact that there's been a marked improvement for a statistically significant number of games now. I expect he'll probably regress somewhat from this high point but this is basically exactly what you want to see from your 3rd year big.

Wiggins has been better too, but it hasn't been as dramatic improvement over the season. The idea that he'd become a top-15 wing on D should probably be a dead dream. He's in the "bad rotation player" range now but has been essentially decent during this hot streak, and if he can keep that up along with his higher rate of rebounding and steals I'd be pretty happy.

Wiggins has had the biggest adjustment of anyone with Butler being here and he's still struggling and playing worse offensively still, but at least his defense is improving.

Maybe it's an overenthusiastic use of destroy, based on my theorem that 5's who aren't in the top 15ish of their position forcing the rest of their team to overexert themselves to play good defense.

Morstly I want to discuss what could make them the demi-contender they wish to be. 3 more rotation players? Consistent good defense from towns? Wiggins making threes? What do you think

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

ahh thank you. That teenager creeps around like a wily veteran, he's getting so good so quick.

Although crypto-top 15 two-way player Al Horford defends the heck outta him in those clips. Al should be in the all-star game.

anyhow seeing as January is now officially Jarrett Allen Month worldwide here's everyone's first few highlight reels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZRJC5UAq8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiJrSoH1Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTomYbkWiyQ

Jarret Allen has really bad hands or he's bad at locating passes, if the ball doesn't hit him right on the numbers he fumbles around like mr. magoo. He also gets way too excited to get to the rim and gives up on his screen before it's set, but it doesn't seem to be a scaredy cat thing, he's simply overeager.

Caris Lavert plays like a euro veteran, using his height, length and awkwardness to stroll into the lane and bounce pass to what could be an open layup.

The Nets remind me of an ACB team that's been transported to the NBA, complete with awkward clumsy bigs and smaller scrappy bigs, passing wings, and pgs who don't really score.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/ElGee35/status/951072442671300608

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He's moving his right arm like it's tetanus style locked in place, whether or not there's still something damaged, his mobility is all hosed up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I wonder how the average household income of drafted players has changed in the last 40 years.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Devin Booker should be called the Eskimo. Trae Waynes should be named Matt Barnes jr. Ish Smith should be nicknamed King Solomon. LeBron James says any nickname it should be smiling grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Steven Adams is the male Pippi Longstocking

• Locked thread