Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

https://streamable.com/6udug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Giannis to the Raps!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdbxhhxlURB/

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

hockey writer named Murphy from Boston attacks basketball player for having an ego? What is this, 2017?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

aren't tribute videos usually like 90 seconds during a timeout in the 3rd quarter? I mean who the gently caress cares, but running a 90 second video instead of having some mouth breather shoot t-shirts into the crowd and giving the guy a round of applause doesn't seem to crazy. Unless literally every stoppage is already reserved for honouring Paul Pierce.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

no wonder pop is so rude to sideline reporters.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Kevin Durant watched a few youtube videos and is now an MRA

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lowry should stop playing drunk or at least tweet about it before the game if he is to get more votes.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm starting to think Jason Kidd is a garbage coach.

He has to be right? I dont get why the Bucks aren't better.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

We should probably ban every white aussie from the NBA to be safe.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Steph isn't even cool enough to be corny

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

for those not watching the Golden Globe Red Carpet show :psypop:Laura Dern brought an activist and not Baron Davis as her date.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As much as I'm enjoying the Raps play this year I'm still limiting my expectations until after the all star game. This team has routinely looked great in the winter only to poo poo the bed down the stretch. It shouldn't happen this year, considering the success is built on strong team play and a more stable offense, but part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Now if they play like this in March I'm going to get real chesty.

BWV fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 8, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Medical staff says Lowry suffered acute back spasms but now off for xrays

https://twitter.com/ekoreen/status/950568916119707653

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Adorno was the original cord cutter

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

:siren: NBA AFTERDARK CHAT :siren:
It's basically a debate about whether culture is top down or bottom up. And like those debates it's obviously both. ESPN did not invent Lavar Ball. ESPN did not gift him 3 sons, including a lottery pick who is playing in the 2nd biggest market. They dont write his interviews/promos and he is clearly entertaining/controversial enough to break into mainstream culture on his own. On the other hand (and especially if you're a Frankfurt School Fuckboi like my pal Ghost Dog just kidding I love that poo poo too ) you might say that Lavar's very appeal to all of us has to do with media/entertainment companies shaping our tastes over time. Maybe the fact that we even give a poo poo about the NBA and about this obnoxious gasbag is because a cultural industry has manipulated us, giving us an endless stream of useless entertainment to distract us from banding together and resisting our diminishing lack of individual rights and agency. It's all just part of the system MAN.

Personally, I don't really give a gently caress. I don't have cable, don't watch ESPN and enjoy when Lavar Ball does stupid poo poo. Dunks are awesome. KD is a bitch.

On a related note, I do think it's a bit self righteous when all these old school sport reporters lament the end of sports journalism, as if reporting on summer league and trade rumous is somehow morally superior to asking some player's dad what he thinks. If Steve Kerr was only lamenting the loss of investigative journalism maybe I'd care a bit more (and I think his larger issues with ESPN are probably more applicable to mainstream NEWS organizations), but stop pretending that Marc Stein and Ethan Strauss are Woodward and Bernstein. Just because they have sources and chase a story down doesn't mean they inherently provide any civic or societal value. Besides, the only NBA related story of value over the past year was when we found out how Kevman saved the Warriors.

BWV fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 9, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

LeBatard show bought 2 pairs of BBB shoes the day the came out and they finally arrived a month ago. They sent the wrong shoes in the wrong colour and there is no customer service.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

scuz posted:

News: I got a new shirt

Views: It loving rules

look at this guy ready to terrorize his european co-workers

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Even in their final form they look like something Steph would wear.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Lebron like a cartoon villain who had his plan foiled in this vid, taking it to a minion (assistant coach?)

https://streamable.com/emcuo

someone make a split screen version of this with my pals Jakob Poeltl and Big Pascal dunking all over everyone.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is my poo poo right here.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

my nickname of "Jake" for Jakob Poeltl is actually the best nickname because he is the best player and I am the best poster.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Take a few days off from NBA Twitter and so many fun things happen. Never reading books again.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Bobby Portis is the pioneer we didn't know we needed.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

There are different types of "practice". Practice proper is very physically intense, you really don't want to do it more than a couple of times a month if possible: the players play roughly 15 games a month, you can't practice on gameday, and you really want to let them recover on off days. You also have less intense shootarounds, which you can do on game days or preferably off days. For each game there is also an hour or two of video prep and also walkthroughs where the coaches tell the players about how they want to handle the opponents. In between all this, there is also plenty of individual and small group workouts (players grouped by position), where they get instruction on their individual games. But the main point is that you don't really need practice: during the offseason, the coaches came up with an offensive and defensive gameplan, and during training camp they hammer the plan into the players' heads, and you only need to reinforce the plan during the season, you don't really need 5 on 5 or 3 on 3 scrimmages much, particularly later in the season. Lots of fans and some players dismiss training camp, but that is literally the last time a team's players will learn how they are going to play, after that the team isn't going to tinker with the plan much and they certainly aren't going to go over the basics again This is why players, like Shaq "Company Time" O'Neal missing training camp or coming in out of shape is such a huge problem. IT missed training camp so he may be feeling like he doesn't know the playbook, but that isn't because of lack of practice during the season.

wait. so you're saying when you're talking about practice, you're not talking about an actual game, but you're talking about practising.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I keep on trying to not get sucked back into the IT video thing but I think I may actually be confused. I ask this seriously, what do these videos consist of in your cities? Because in Toronto they basically play a video for anyone that fans ever had an emotional connection with not counting the time that guy faked an injury to get traded (although he's gotten one once a year for the past 5 years) . It plays for like 45-90 seconds during a timeout in the second quarter and it's rarely shown on TV. It is never marketed in advance. And I really doubt they discuss it with agents/players.

Unless we're talking about the other type of tribute videos I read about online and then I totally get why Pierce would be hesitant.

BWV fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 17, 2018

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

it really, really, really should be 1 PG/2 wings/2 bigs and not this dumb 2 guard/3 front court thing.

too many good players are PGs though.

why not just scrap the positions all together? If the fans vote in a team of all centres who cares? It's not like they're going to start running post ups or crashing the boards.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Fan vote is only half of the vote and only for the starters. Coaches pick the reserves. There will always be positional requirements/mandates to some degree

yea i meant just for the starters let there be no position requirements. The coaches can fill out the rest of the team however they want.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tarbrush posted:

The best possible format for this is to turn the ASG into an 8 team three on three tournament in which the top 8 vote getters are the captains and pick in order of votes. The draft is done live, playground style, after at least one night of events/politicking on social media.

I was all about 3on3 until I started watching the national 3on3 league on youtube and realized that even if the players are 10x better it still wont be as good as a normal full court game.
The biggest problem is that the court is too small and there are zero transition opportunities. This means there are less cool passes and significantly less dunks, which is objectively the best part of basketball and the allstar game.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I wonder if there is a metric teams use to track defensive value by utilizing the sportsVU stuff. We could find out what players are most consistently in a place to lower the expected value of a possession or something

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that Lebron pass w/ Wade's reaction made me so happy.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm going to rewrite Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" with Fultz as the main character. He is sent to a sports medicine gym in Indiana only to be met by a set of ideologues who try to physically and spiritually heal him. It ends with Kobe Bryant duelling and shooting Steve Nash in a cornfield.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I am extremely into this.

Next give me Dr. Faustus but with LaVar Ball.

LaVar Ball is a caring man who dreams of being the greatest player on earth. Realizing it will never happen to him he makes a pact with a rogue doctor, who promises him that if he takes a series of injections his offspring will accomplish his dreams instead. He accepts but over time things change. His hair falls out, his testicles swell. He turns from a kind caring man into a megalomanic. He doesn't understand why but he has this insatiable desire to sell footwear. His sons have indeed elevated to stardom but at what cost? He is constantly fighting with them and they begin to grow estranged. He is alone, at home, screaming at a photograph of Stephen A Smith. The disease has corrupted him so that he can't even appreciate what he has. Turns out it's actually a giant metaphor for the fall of traditional media and the degeneracy of consumer capitalism.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Its more of a question of whether Lowtax keeps the lights on for another 5 years

if he shuts it down we can just start a listserv

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually think Poeltl could easily be on that list of guys who'll be on the all-star team in 2020. No guarantees, obviously, but his game seems to be growing consistently.

I see I'm not the only one who wrote in my pal Jake in the poll

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

drat Milwaukee back on track to make the conference finals

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I am offended that my friends OG, Jake, Pascal and Fred are not invited to the young stars game. Very rude if you ask me.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

EvanTH posted:

apparently none of them got in because they split the vote haha
https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/956595728297558018

makes sense. although they should just let the Raptors young bench mob play whoever wins the first game.
Delon
FVV
OG
MPJ (my pal Jake)
Pascal
what a team!

anyway,
Lebron and all the bigs is going to be very fun

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Pretty smart of Steph to pass on KD with his first pick knowing he'll just switch teams if he's down at the half.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

is there a way to find out team effective field goal percentage in the last two minutes of close games? It's probably a small sample size so far but I need the data to confirm my emotional certainty that the Raptors are the worst late game team ever.

• Locked thread