Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The astral projection is due to server desync (common culprit seems to be alt tabbing out while loading a match) and can be fixed by climbing a ladder. You can’t interact with anything but if your ghost climbs a ladder you’ll snap back into your body at spawn.

Alternatively run around invisible and mess with other teams using voip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Is the OP Discord link still good? I've been burned by touching the pubbie stove one too many times. Similarly how have people found the official Discord to be?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Sighence posted:

Is the OP Discord link still good? I've been burned by touching the pubbie stove one too many times. Similarly how have people found the official Discord to be?

I don't think the OP Discord is really worth your time for trying to find people to play Hunt with. I think the official Discord is probably good, but I've only used it a handful of times since I hit it off really well with a guy on there and now we pretty much play together exclusively with a particular pool of people.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Sighence posted:

What's your steam or discord?

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: incorrect information. OP discord is fine.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 22, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Orv posted:

The Discord listed in the OP is run by a dude who got banned for being a transphobe and hanging out with Nazis so probably don't. We should probably remake the thread honestly but :effort:

The official discord is decent for finding players. Most of the streamers who had Drops enabled (the crytek partners) also have lfg parts on their discords, so you can look through those if you did the drops and followed any of them.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There's room on the coop goons discord that Vox runs. https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk if you played Payday 2 it's that goonscord.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Has anyone figured out or datamined or is it even just out there how matchmaking works? Kind of tired of Prestiege 100, 6+ KDR edgelords 360 noscoping me with a pax at 50 yards through a fence.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pretty sure that everyone who has ever prestiged, no matter how many times, are lumped into the same pool and level 0s are lumped together.

I have no proof of this.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Orv posted:

The Discord listed in the OP is run by a dude who got banned for being a transphobe and hanging out with Nazis so probably don't. We should probably remake the thread honestly but :effort:

No, it's actually run by Dungeons & Drag Queens who only made Tinfoil an admin because he didn't have time to run it himself anymore. Tinfoil and Duster were both banned from the discord right when this came out. Literally less than a day later, and it only took that long because D&DQ isn't around very much.

e: I was a mod at the time and made an admin once Tinfoil was ousted and I assure you he would've been gone sooner if we had known about it sooner. And we had almost banned Duster previously for his lovely behavior but decided to give him one last chance and, as far as I knew, he had been sticking to it until the recent accusations.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 22, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

Has anyone figured out or datamined or is it even just out there how matchmaking works? Kind of tired of Prestiege 100, 6+ KDR edgelords 360 noscoping me with a pax at 50 yards through a fence.

There is no level or prestige consideration in matchmaking, it's pure MMR based. This really sucks when you start, because it gives itself your first 20 levels to determine your MMR. Whenever you prestige it treats it as a soft MMR reset - you lose a huge chunk of MMR and then start over - it has to do this because it tries to keep the level <10s together (the levels where you don't lose anything on death).

That said, MMR is great with a huge statistical database, but hunt peaks at between 10-14k players at any one time, spread across 5 different regions, along with a PC/Console split. That means they also have to use huge MMR bands to make matches (which is why matches that take longer than 20% of the bar will seem like an abnormally large skill difference - it's literally opening up its MMR bands to fill out a map). Finally they've never said how they handle teams, so it may just take the highest MMR in your team and throw you into that band for matchmaking - so pairing with someone who is really good will mean you are paired against better players than you would be otherwise.

EDIT - They do try to match level <10's together. That does seem to mean (and this is from personal experience, not anything officially stated) that teaming with a level <10 means you'll be paired against other level <10's, but they literally don't care about prestige in these pairings - so those could all be brand new players, or they could be fresh prestige 100+ who know every in and out of the game (which is an awful way to introduce the game to new players).

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 22, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

8 or 9 losses in a row today, last one was this fuckin guy who headshot my entire team and me with that rifle like it wasn't even hard. Prestige 100.

I love playing this game but not when it just shits turbonerds on you who are way above your skill band. C'mon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regrettable posted:

No, it's actually run by Dungeons & Drag Queens who only made Tinfoil an admin because he didn't have time to run it himself anymore. Tinfoil and Duster were both banned from the discord right when this came out. Literally less than a day later and it only took that long because D&DQ isn't around very much.

Oh poo poo, my extremely bad, sorry! Will edit that post then.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

8 or 9 losses in a row today, last one was this fuckin guy who headshot my entire team and me with that rifle like it wasn't even hard. Prestige 100.

I love playing this game but not when it just shits turbonerds on you who are way above your skill band. C'mon.

Yeah unlucky for you there. Padarius is a streamer and is very skilled at the pvp in this game. Fun guy to watch overall, too.

My team got wiped by Archie one time (8.6 KDA at the time he was) and that’s when I knew this game had no matchmaking.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Orv posted:

Oh poo poo, my extremely bad, sorry! Will edit that post then.

It's all good. I just wanted to clarify what happened and let people know that we will not tolerate that sort of behavior, especially in mods/admins.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah unlucky for you there. Padarius is a streamer and is very skilled at the pvp in this game. Fun guy to watch overall, too.

My team got wiped by Archie one time (8.6 KDA at the time he was) and that’s when I knew this game had no matchmaking.

Here's his stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/718158544 he starts at 5:32, gets to our engagement 5:44. He kills me through the lil peephole on the 2nd floor, then darksights my partner, our third was dead off to the north trying a flank.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think the game has a big enough population to do both of the following:
1) Fair matchmaking
2) Time efficient matchmaking

We could probably get some fair matchmaking right now if we were willing to wait indefinitely until folks with a similar skill also queued up. The all-time peak players on PC is just 14,003 from August 2018.

I love this game, but I don't envision the player base blowing up at all.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I guess i'd rather be in a single bounty match with 2 teams near my level than 3 teams one of which just murders us all before we do anything.

That said, watching myself get wrecked last night, he was pretty close to death too, 2 downs already, he got lucky seeing me through a hole in the wall.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
loving around on solo today got my first serpent bounty steal off a duo. By the time they figured it out I was out of the compound, they caught up at the extraction but could only get a couple shots off before I extracted.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Been going on some rampages lately.
3 level 50 hunters in a row.

Games where 'I got a few' becomes:
https://imgur.com/FnfWUPV

I keep getting multikills with frag bombs and I will never stop loving them.

Sticky, frag, poison, antidote - kill any boss quickly, gently caress up teams and rezzes.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Pretty sure that everyone who has ever prestiged, no matter how many times, are lumped into the same pool and level 0s are lumped together.

I have no proof of this.

My memory is hazy but I think originally the matchmaking was split into 3 groups:

players level 0-32, 33-62, 63-100, regardless of prestige level. In winter 2018-2019 it was changed to:

0-32 no prestige, 33-100 no prestige, everyone else.

I think it was around the time 1.0 came out a year ago is when it was changed to be more based on ELO.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 29, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ran into a prestige level 100 person, with 3,041 hours in the game. It's a good game but Jesus how do you play that much of it?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ran into a prestige level 100 person, with 3,041 hours in the game. It's a good game but Jesus how do you play that much of it?

They're out there, and they make the game kind of insufferable.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

A lot of the 2k+ hour players are streamers - there's a subset of streamers that make 1.5k+ per month just playing hunt. It's popular enough to support a smallish group of them, so that's what they do.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

New patch is live. The choke bomb is now a tool slot instead of a consumable (so actually worth bringing in with you), and they added a few medium sized Winfield variants: https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2843415083698811466

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Varkas posted:

New patch is live. The choke bomb is now a tool slot instead of a consumable (so actually worth bringing in with you), and they added a few medium sized Winfield variants: https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2843415083698811466

Worth noting these are the Winfield C's, so you can use Levering with them. You're giving up bullet velocity and a small amount of effective range for the size change.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/vpe3j8

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Quickswapping's getting nerfed, which has idiots crying.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Mordja posted:

Quickswapping's getting nerfed, which has idiots crying.

One of the best decisions they've made. Just tested it in the test server, this may be the best state the game has ever been in. Quickswapping is still viable, its just not broken anymore and I say this as someone who abused it heavily.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://old.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/j3b0ws/144_changes/

New trait lets you revive from range. The return of "GET THE gently caress UP!"

Also, jesus loving christ, map 3 isnt coming until Q2 2021 :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New boss later in the year tho.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

loving lmao

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I’ve been out of the loop. What about the update is “killing” Hunt?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
After you fire a shot you cannot change weapons until the recoil animation has finished.

Pre patch you can swap immediately after firing, so you can shoot a Mosin and immediately change to your Uppercut to fire again. It would essentially let you fire two shots before the first gun's firing animation even finishes.

Edit: does the recoil animation include cycling the bolt, recocking, etc or is it just the kick that you have to wait for?

caedwalla fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 4, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

caedwalla posted:

After you fire a shot you cannot change weapons until the recoil animation has finished.

Pre patch you can swap immediately after firing, so you can shoot a Mosin and immediately change to your Uppercut to fire again. It would essentially let you fire two shots before the first gun's firing animation even finishes.

Edit: does the recoil animation include cycling the bolt, recocking, etc or is it just the kick that you have to wait for?

Just the kick. They're thankfully making it so you dont have to cycle the bolt before you can start sprinting again. Thats why quick switchers would always use the Sparks instead of the Mosin/Lebel because with those you could quick switch but you'd be stuck in place until you worked the bolt. (This was also a common excuse by those who did it).

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

The salt from QS idiots is feeding my soul.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Skyarb posted:

The salt from QS idiots is feeding my soul.

I agree. I never bother doing QS even though it is objectively an advantage and still play very well. I'm hoping I don't get double tapped by sparks/uppercut as much now.

The ability to sprint sooner after firing is going to be amazing and I may start using Lebel/Mosin more now.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/hik83u

:dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

1.4.4 out boys!