Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Nebiros posted:

You're not playing this game to punch zombies from a dead sprint, funny as it is. You're hunting other players. Do you like using contextual clues to hone in on players and steal their hard earned work? This is the game for you. If you want NPC zombie killing, KF2 is probably a better choice.

I'm not new to the genre. I get what this game is going for; it's why I bought in. It just feels poorly-paced to me. I don't doubt you can get into some exciting fights, but my experience so far has been trudging through mud for a few weak shootouts while zombies mill about disinterestedly in the background.

E: I plan to put more time in, but I'm trying to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ok this game is loving amazing. I just had such a fun session solo stealth hunting hunters. Those who make a commotion shooting zombies and stuff are easy meat for you. Ended up killing the dudes who killed the boss (the proxy voice chat is gold) and died to another hunter while running to extraction. I haven't had this much fun in a game in a while.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

keyframe posted:

Ok this game is loving amazing. I just had such a fun session solo stealth hunting hunters. Those who make a commotion shooting zombies and stuff are easy meat for you. Ended up killing the dudes who killed the boss (the proxy voice chat is gold) and died to another hunter while running to extraction. I haven't had this much fun in a game in a while.

The tension / excitement / apprehension once you get the bounty is great. Are there dudes just outside? Are they waiting at the near extraction? On the road there? Are there even dudes left?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hows the gun play feel in this game? Is this one of those games where npcs are dangerous because they soak a crap ton of bullets or are the zombos dangerous because of literally any other reason such as one hit kill, good AI, limited resources, etc? I prefer the later than the former.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Defenestrategy posted:

Hows the gun play feel in this game? Is this one of those games where npcs are dangerous because they soak a crap ton of bullets or are the zombos dangerous because of literally any other reason such as one hit kill, good AI, limited resources, etc? I prefer the later than the former.

Guns feel really meaty and great. Enemies go down fast on headshots. They are dumb zombie AI but they will gently caress your poo poo up if you are not careful cause even the basic zombie hits for a ton of damage. Most of the time you will be trying to avoid poo poo and try to make as less sound as possible while you try to find clues and stalk other players.

Also gently caress night time maps, 2spoopy4me :gonk:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

keyframe posted:

Guns feel really meaty and great. Enemies go down fast on headshots. They are dumb zombie AI but they will gently caress your poo poo up if you are not careful cause even the basic zombie hits for a ton of damage. Most of the time you will be trying to avoid poo poo and try to make as less sound as possible while you try to find clues and stalk other players.

Also gently caress night time maps, 2spoopy4me :gonk:

Thanks I've soured on games involving zombies lately because it feels like game devs wanna take the easy way out trying to evoke fear of confrontation by making zombies able absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment which isn't scary it's just annoying.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I can't play daytime anymore; I just feel too exposed.

I may need therapy.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was a daytime player during alpha until Montoya and I switched and now I feel exposed and weird during the day. The atmosphere at night with the torch zombies and burning steeples is just too :spooky: to pass on!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also, I just realized that we must be only weeks from the apocalypse. There are still live dogs and chickens around in the kennels / coops. Wait...... are they infected too? .... This game is creepy.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The caretaker still swings by to feed them daily. He's probably one of those weird types who retired years ago but still shows up out of routine.

He's probably the same fucker who keeps feeding the birds.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 23, 2018

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
This game kind of clicked for me this morning on my third attempt playing (after I found out that solo wasn't practice mode, the really cool guy I first spent a ton of money on wasn't coming back, etc).

Started off trying out a hunter with the 15 round Winchester. Immediately at the Catfish Farm place I ran into an armored, and thought I had heard a gunshot really close. The armored was down, and as I reach the crest of the water ramp there is a dude aiming at me from a sort of porch. He fires and misses, I return fire and accidentally hit a lantern above him.
I had a feeling he was still alive, so I went back into the water and came out on the other side only to see him and his hat, standing out in the open looking in my former direction. One shot took him in the head.

It was then I knew what stealth in this game was really for. I became a hunter (and later died foolishly in a botched assassination at the boss area :v: )

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Defenestrategy posted:

Thanks I've soured on games involving zombies lately because it feels like game devs wanna take the easy way out trying to evoke fear of confrontation by making zombies able absorb a ridiculous amount of punishment which isn't scary it's just annoying.

Yea Zombies in this game are things you usually avoid instead of engage (similar to dayz I guess). They don't pose a threat to you if you are sneaking around but can really gently caress you up if you are not careful. I was stealthing and going towards a gunfire I heard earlier but ended up coming around a bush to face four zombie dogs and had to shoot them in panic which alerted a bunch of hunters to my position and got murdered.

I would love to see more aggressive enemy AI though (which I believe is on the roadmap). I would also love to have throwable items that aggro zombies so you can sneak up on hunters and throw lures in their area which draw all the zombies to them. One of my most memorable gaming moments was doing that in Dayz to a squad looting the city from a roof, threw a flare at them and watched them get murdered by zombies. It was evil and fun. :v:

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

keyframe posted:

I would also love to have throwable items that aggro zombies so you can sneak up on hunters and throw lures in their area which draw all the zombies to them. One of my most memorable gaming moments was doing that in Dayz to a squad looting the city from a roof, threw a flare at them and watched them get murdered by zombies. It was evil and fun. :v:

Good news.

They are in the game. Flares (Fusees) and decoys, which is a bag of litter that you throw to attract zombies

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

deported to Canada posted:

Good news.

They are in the game. Flares (Fusees) and decoys, which is a bag of litter that you throw to attract zombies

What is the range they attract from?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I never tried using decoys, but the flares are handy for a lot of things:

They attract zombos
They attract players
They light red/yellow barrels on fire and make them explode after a few seconds
They blind the gently caress out of hunters
- This last one is extremely useful as a deterrent and, in dark areas/night maps, you can use it for concealment. If you're tricky about the placement you can more or less hide inside/behind the ludicrous glare of the things and really discourage hunters from taking otherwise handy routes (like if you are banishing and on the defensive)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

this game is stressing me out. So good though

I feel like until I get a bounty Im basically going to be hemorrhaging money though

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else not getting directional sound? My headphones don't actually differentiate between right and left in this game when they do in other games.

for some reason my computer gave up on stereo sound and IDK why

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 24, 2018

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Grognan posted:

anyone else not getting directional sound? My headphones don't actually differentiate between right and left in this game when they do in other games.

for some reason my computer gave up on stereo sound and IDK why
what's your sound card?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MysteriousStranger posted:

what's your sound card?

Motherboard, normally works fine. Found out a speaker system still has stereo. (from the same jack IDK why)

Oddly enough the motherboard outputs some sort of jack for 5.1 and above but I haven't seen any headphones or speakers that cost less than the motherboard that uses that jack. So I use the janky case headphone jack that is flaky some of the time.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 24, 2018

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Logitech G35 goes on sale on Amazon all the time and is a great stereo headset for gaming. I bought one for 40 bucks like a year or 2 ago and love it. It's USB connected and 7.1 channel surround sound.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
People are really salty that an Early Access game has a few bugs and server resets. But go ahead and ask them about Star Citizen and Chris Robert's vision.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Untrustable posted:

Logitech G35 goes on sale on Amazon all the time and is a great stereo headset for gaming. I bought one for 40 bucks like a year or 2 ago and love it. It's USB connected and 7.1 channel surround sound.

I don't like those 7.1 sets, IMHO https://www.headphone.com/products/sennheiser-hd-280-pro + modmic

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

People are really salty that an Early Access game has a few bugs and server resets. But go ahead and ask them about Star Citizen and Chris Robert's vision.

Yeah I don't get this. Bought the game for 24$ knowing there were going to be some bugs. Still better then a lot of games that get released

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Some of the negative Steam reviews are hilarious. It's full of people saying "I lost my character with no warning" despite the Devs posting when server resets happen with ample time to extract. Or it's people saying I got the game with borderline minimum specs and I can't get 90fps like *other game that's been released for years*.

And then there's the people saying "I'm getting killed out of nowhere without seeing anybody, hackers?" :rolleyes:

If you don't think it will run on your rig, it probably won't. At least not yet. And if you think it's hackers killing you, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Some of the negative Steam reviews are hilarious. It's full of people saying "I lost my character with no warning" despite the Devs posting when server resets happen with ample time to extract.

Earlier, the servers went down with only a tweet to warn of it, 15 mins before. You could easily be in a match for 15 mins and not even be looking at twitter, and then boom, gone.

It is early access tho, so, :jerkbag:

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Is there any way to make aim down sights only right click without having to press shift?

I tried to in key config settings but it keeps complaining that something is unbound when trying.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

KennyLoggins posted:

Is there any way to make aim down sights only right click without having to press shift?

I tried to in key config settings but it keeps complaining that something is unbound when trying.

edit - misread, nvm

marxismftw fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 24, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It is rare a games visuals impress me to this level but playing this game on a nighttime map is the most impressive thing I have seen in a long time.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Some of the negative Steam reviews are hilarious. It's full of people saying "I lost my character with no warning" despite the Devs posting when server resets happen with ample time to extract. Or it's people saying I got the game with borderline minimum specs and I can't get 90fps like *other game that's been released for years*.

And then there's the people saying "I'm getting killed out of nowhere without seeing anybody, hackers?" :rolleyes:

If you don't think it will run on your rig, it probably won't. At least not yet. And if you think it's hackers killing you, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

You really have to have a pretty old rig to not run this, even in it's unoptimized state, at a decent framerate. I posted my specs upthread and during the end of the alpha even my old dinosaur was happily chugging along at a decent FPS. Also fuckin lol at the suggestion that people are hacking. I think it's throwing people off that getting shot in the head actually outright kills you in this game. I like it.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

AirRaid posted:

Earlier, the servers went down with only a tweet to warn of it, 15 mins before. You could easily be in a match for 15 mins and not even be looking at twitter, and then boom, gone.

It is early access tho, so, :jerkbag:

Join their discord mate, they post everything in the announcements there.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The stats not saving "your hunter is reverted to pre game state" bug is hitting the servers pretty hard right now so I would not try hard till they fix it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Protip: your hunters are expendable and you shouldn't be upset if they die. Don't be afraid, you can get new ones.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

That said I'm still super worried I'm gonna run out of money. 5ish games in

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What happens when you run out of money?

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

I've been experimenting in solo to get a feel for the game, and as long as you get more than one clue and buy the cheapest hunters possible, you should break even on death, even gain a tiny bit of cash. So far I feel it's not really necessary to buy additional gear for hunters when you're starting out, since as long as you got something to bang bang and wack with, you'll have a chance.

Running out of money isn't a big deal anyways, looking at what "tier 0" offers. Basically if you run of dosh, you get to bum with a freebie hunter. I think you can turn him to tier 1 if you wish, if you survive?

Trizzdog fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

What happens when you run out of money?

If you sell all your weapons, tools and consumables and come up short of the cheapest available hunter, you'll be offered a Tier 0 hunter. They have a fixed loadout and after a certain amount of XP gained will promote to a Tier 1 hunter at which point you can adjust their loadouts.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Played a couple games and really having some trouble orienting myself. seems like the first clue nearby is going to have generally noone and then by the second checkpoint you'll start seeing the fast guys and ambush them there? I get the not making noise factor, but getting to the juicy bits faster im still trying to figure out. Tell us more about stealth runs, stealth guys

Orv
May 4, 2011
My most successful solo/stealth runs (read: basically every one I don't die on) involve grabbing the clues as fast as possible while avoiding any and all mob aggro as best I can. Then I lurk around the boss area, waiting for people to present me with opportunities. Usually that's just sniping someone else who is creeping around but hasn't seen me yet, but as you get better you can typically go in, kill people fighting the boss and back out to let others try. Or let them finish and then deal with them.

Part of solo success is that the game is lousy with ways to gently caress people over without ever having to go near them or let them know you're there. Barrels, both explosive and fire, bullet penetration on wooden buildings (most of the boss buildings can be shot into) all add up to you having a huge advantage as a solo player if you survive past the initial clue stage.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Be like water. But not actually in the water if you can help it. It'll make you slower and an an easy target. Silenced M1895 is your best friend along with a knife or machete. Be quiet. Check around you as you go. The scenery is pretty static so it's easy to see another player moving from place to place. I took out 3 hunters just standing under a gnarled tree root and carefully picking shots. Also a headset is pretty much a must. Listen for distant gunshots or crows or those bisected horses.

Tl:dr everything makes noise. Make less noise and you'll catch out the people who can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Feral Integral posted:

Played a couple games and really having some trouble orienting myself. seems like the first clue nearby is going to have generally noone and then by the second checkpoint you'll start seeing the fast guys and ambush them there? I get the not making noise factor, but getting to the juicy bits faster im still trying to figure out. Tell us more about stealth runs, stealth guys

This really depends on whether other people are going straight to the first clue or are out kill other hunters and their knowledge of the spawn points. Most spawn points have others very nearby but the clues are usually set up to draw you away from each other a little. Once you know where they are you can pretty easily surprise and kill other hunters before they even make it to the first one.