Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Skyarb posted:

1.4.4 out boys!

END OF HUNT AS WE KNOW IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
DOUBLE DOUBLE-DOLCHE eveeeeeeerywhere

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Varkas posted:

DOUBLE DOUBLE-DOLCHE eveeeeeeerywhere

Is this the new hotness?

I just want them to add aggressive weapon sway while moving and see the salt.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'm mostly joking about having 4 Dolches, but I imagine we'll see more of the Dolche in general now as a substitute for some players that did the long/quick switch meta (including the guy I usually play with).

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Varkas posted:

I'm mostly joking about having 4 Dolches, but I imagine we'll see more of the Dolche in general now as a substitute for some players that did the long/quick switch meta (including the guy I usually play with).

I'm fine with that. One dolch costs about as much as you get for a full kill->banish->extract so its not exactly cheap and not really sustainable even if you are extremely good.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I got very mad at video games earlier when I shot a man with the nitro at melee range... Then with the pax.... And proceeded to get hatcheted because apparently not enough damage.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Nitro has been dogshit at everything except killing the Butcher since like 6 months ago.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Halloween event started yesterday, it looks like you can get 850 blood bonds total plus some dollars and skins.

First time I've got the max server cap queue so hopefully peeps stick around.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I love how unobtrusive the event is. Just playing normally but keeping an eye out for punkins got me near the first day cap in a couple matches.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Basticle posted:

The Nitro has been dogshit at everything except killing the Butcher since like 6 months ago.

Are you saying I can't sit people down with chest-shots (at mid range) anymore?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So what do you actually "lose" when you retire a hunter. Sometimes it seems to take 'contraband' guns and gear, sometimes not, I can't make out a rhyme or reason.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

So what do you actually "lose" when you retire a hunter. Sometimes it seems to take 'contraband' guns and gear, sometimes not, I can't make out a rhyme or reason.

The only potential equipment you should be losing is due to hitting a limit on the number of contraband instances you can have for a particular item, but that's due to the un-equipping of the stuff, not the retiring itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Played this on PS4 for about a month and loved the concept/style but the port and controls were so loving terrible I bounced off. Tempted to rebuy it at half off on steam now that I have a decent PC, but from what I can gather it's riddled with hackers and also starting from scratch/getting wrecked by op poo poo in 2020, while I'm walking around with garbage starting gear does not sound fun so I'm on the fence.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Played this on PS4 for about a month and loved the concept/style but the port and controls were so loving terrible I bounced off. Tempted to rebuy it at half off on steam now that I have a decent PC, but from what I can gather it's riddled with hackers and also starting from scratch/getting wrecked by op poo poo in 2020, while I'm walking around with garbage starting gear does not sound fun so I'm on the fence.

I wouldn't say its "riddled" with hackers. In the last 6 months, say, I'd only go up against a really blatant hacker maybe once a week. Right now is a little sketchy because the latest gameplay update, Halloween event, Steam sale and just general popularity and promotion of the game have resulted in record-high concurrent players (a very good thing!) so you might see a bit of an uptick.

As for starting gear, virtually every gun in the game is viable once you've learned the mechanics of the game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Varkas posted:

The only potential equipment you should be losing is due to hitting a limit on the number of contraband instances you can have for a particular item, but that's due to the un-equipping of the stuff, not the retiring itself.

What is that limit?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

What is that limit?

You can only have 1 of a particular weapon variant*** in your inventory, however this excludes anything equiped on another hunter, so you can hire a free dude and use him as storage.

*** inexplicably the game seems to differentiate various levels of clean/muddy so I've had 2 or 3 different listings for the same contraband gun before.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wish the game communicated that at all. But thank you.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm pretty sure it does, the problem is the UI is atrocious (but better than it used to be, somehow).

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Man, all the discords with this are just dead. Anyone willing to have someone who is decent at the game, but not amazing tag along sometime?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

slippery

https://i.imgur.com/mUKOD7E.mp4

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

this was some horror movie villain poo poo

https://streamable.com/2osmgh

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

E-Tank posted:

Man, all the discords with this are just dead. Anyone willing to have someone who is decent at the game, but not amazing tag along sometime?

I've noticed this too. Anyone know of any active groups or communities to look into?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
They're all dead because the game is dying.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

They're all dead because the game is dying.

I can't tell if this is irony posting but the game has more players than ever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got two suckers friends to play this with me for 5 hours yesterday and this game is sick as hell. it feels like escape from tarkov without all the things that made me bounce off of escape from tarkov + really cool post civil war monster bog setting

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I got two suckers friends to play this with me for 5 hours yesterday and this game is sick as hell. it feels like escape from tarkov without all the things that made me bounce off of escape from tarkov + really cool post civil war monster bog setting

This! This is exactly what I love about this game, just need to find ppl to play with haha

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I got 4 peeps to buy when it went on sale.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a place people are playing? I have two friends who play but never together so getting a trio is hard and I kind of hate duos because of how binary it is.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

There's always the official hunt Discord which has some LFG functionality and voice channels: https://discord.gg/xPSHuKqnkg

Your mileage will really vary with the above, so I'd recommend using that just long enough to make friends with decent people and then connect directly.

I don't think there's going to be any central goon affiliated place to reliably find people to play with.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
We play here sometimes: https://discord.gg/R6guCBqN

If you are looking for dudes to play with say something in chat, we play frequently kinda whenever. Our skill levels are all over the map.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I got two suckers friends to play this with me for 5 hours yesterday and this game is sick as hell.

As one of the aforementioned suckers, I agree wholeheartedly. After exactly one (admittedly lengthy) session, this game has just been bouncing around my brain all day.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Knifegrab posted:

We play here sometimes: https://discord.gg/R6guCBqN

If you are looking for dudes to play with say something in chat, we play frequently kinda whenever. Our skill levels are all over the map.

Thanks for the heads up! I’ll pop in and say hi

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how do I stop missing these dead easy shots on players who are right in front of me and looking the other way

I think having 3 square inches of available mouse space with the sensitivity slider as high as it will go might be a bad thing after all

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how do I stop missing these dead easy shots on players who are right in front of me and looking the other way

I think having 3 square inches of available mouse space with the sensitivity slider as high as it will go might be a bad thing after all

Having a lower sensitivity can often be pretty critical, depending on the game and your experience. I think a very high sensitivity for really fast paced games with a lot of emphasis on verticality, but maybe not so much for Hunt. I personally go with 14.3cm/360, but I have a 36 inch wide mouse pad and plenty of space. I use my arm to make the broad sweeping adjustments, and then wrist/fingers for the finer precision aiming.

Also, save clips of your encounters and review where you're aiming exactly. I've had teammates proclaim "gently caress that, that was a headshot" but when we review the clip we often see that they were slightly off and aiming to the side or something.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 1, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

my primary Hunt partner is a psychopath who has his sensitivity super high and this is from last night

https://streamable.com/t4ex3a

look how loving long it took to line up a shot because of that

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
It takes my entire mousepad to do a full 360. Lower sensitivity will almost certainly improve your aim.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/z2ft1p

:smuggo:

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Daaaamn, you blasted his rear end

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Basticle posted:

my primary Hunt partner is a psychopath who has his sensitivity super high and this is from last night

https://streamable.com/t4ex3a

look how loving long it took to line up a shot because of that

I have never seen the game show me an icon like that when I kill someone. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I have never seen the game show me an icon like that when I kill someone. What gives?

If you're talking about the skull icon, that's from my body (the guy was looting me)