Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Guys I'm not so sure about this dual wielding thing :smuggo:

https://streamable.com/1672c9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.gyazo.com/724602da55643d3dbd24908df9bc7e76.mp4

I AM

(lucky as gently caress)

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
is there a goon discord channel? It wasn't in the OP and I can't be hosed to go looking through here to see if it's hidden someplace. just got this on the sale and want to play people who know how to use voice chat for something other than heavy breathing, although I'm sure there will be plenty of that too no matter.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

redpleb posted:

is there a goon discord channel? It wasn't in the OP and I can't be hosed to go looking through here to see if it's hidden someplace. just got this on the sale and want to play people who know how to use voice chat for something other than heavy breathing, although I'm sure there will be plenty of that too no matter.

There is a Discord link in the OP, but I don't think it's particularly active for Hunt: Showdown (and I don't think it's goon exclusive).

Personally, I think you're better off going to the Official Hunt Discord server and take a look in their Looking-For-Group channels. If you have some good experiences with people in particular, keep playing with 'em. I mostly play with one particular guy that I met this way.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

Varkas posted:

There is a Discord link in the OP, but I don't think it's particularly active for Hunt: Showdown (and I don't think it's goon exclusive).

Personally, I think you're better off going to the Official Hunt Discord server and take a look in their Looking-For-Group channels. If you have some good experiences with people in particular, keep playing with 'em. I mostly play with one particular guy that I met this way.

that's awesome! thanks for the heads up, I'll do that!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
https://streamable.com/mxkx30

We were just talking about how terrible my reflexes are, but this guy's were worse somehow. 4 solid seconds to kill me with his silenced Sparks and he just sat there.

Good to see new players joining the game, but we had a few in games tonight that felt kinda bad when we outplayed them because we're pretty trash at this game (but love it anyway).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/m8323s

:stare:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Guess who's back :suicide:

https://giant.gfycat.com/CrispImpassionedCalf.webm

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, last week my mates and I had a run in with Questionable Player, and it was super obvious that he was using some sort of wall-hack as he was trying to hit us behind our various mounds, but from a particular area of a building that had absolutely no cracks to see out through. I'll probably be posting the relevant clip on that in the near future.

Thankfully we took him and his partner out eventually after a long standoff.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

redpleb posted:

Not to toot my own horn but Hunt is played daily on the this discord. And we don’t suck, either. If you are looking for people to play with, you’ll find them here on a daily basis. https://discord.gg/UEGtC49

It is yet another goon enclave that ended up on the Hunt, R6, LoL, F76, and some others as its main focus. There’s no real focus besides whatever the swarm wants but Hunt has been a constant for a year.

This is where I get my daily Hunt fix. Pop in and @here for ”some hunt?” And you should get a group quickly. Or hit me up directly with the same nickname, and I’ll Hunt with you.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
Hunt is doing twitch drops for the next week. https://www.huntshowdown.com/twitchdrops to link twitch/game accounts and get the list of streamers.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Do be aware though that the reward notifications appear to be broken on Twitch's side, but you can still get the rewards if you actually launch the game.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Holy poo poo did I get drops. Been watching Psychoghost since 10:30AM (Eastern): 3 first aid kits, 4 frag bombs, 2 nitros, a martini henry riposte, a bomb lance, a crown & king, 750 hunt dollars, 100 blood bonds, the bornheim skin, the springfield skin, and a concertina bomb. Been playing for a few hours and have to relog to see if I get more.

Sorry to people who are bugged out and not getting them but Crytek said they're fixing it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

They're definitely glitchy on the twitch notifications end - and you only get the rewards when you log in to game initially- but they're there!
A good time to prestige, too, since you can get some nice higher level guns (Crown and kings, bomb lances, etc) while running streams in the background.
So far gotten the hunter, martini henri sword, derringer and silence nagant skins (along with a buttload of other things and funbux).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So far I've gotten 5 First Aid Kits and 7 Concertina Bombs.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So far I've gotten 5 First Aid Kits and 7 Concertina Bombs.

The vast majority of what you'll get is random items. Mostly knuckle knives for me. But if you let it run you're bound to get legendaries and nicer finds.
I've gotten 4 of the 8 legendaries after a day of streaming.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm only missing one legendary at the moment.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Just got killed by Archie (KDA 8,34 and extremely skilled streamer). I have a KDA of 0,85... Great matchmaking!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just a loving travesty with one of my groups tonight, at least two of them were blatantly walling but otherwise it was just wall to wall abject failure like I have never had in this game. Christ.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hunt is a land of contrasts.

Had a solo into 3s game where I gauntleted, including raiding the second boss, killing two people and -scaring the last one away- which I have almost never seen. He just abandoned his two friends and fled into the distance.

Also had several games where engagements lasted all of 3 seconds - everyone instantly headshotted with mosins and no warning.

Had a monstrous clusterfuck of a fight around the single boss, where we ended up with 7 kills and everyone else on the server dead (including one of the team-mates) - just a 15 minute rolling gunfight of one team after another bungling into each other in the dark, half-killing groups, running away, rezzing and doing it all over again. We made a point of rushing inside the compound (Prison) and killing the original boss banishers, then letting the other people fight each other.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We ended the night with a game where the first boss got done and then two entire trios left the bounties on the boss corpse to camp outside the compound. We killed one trio and the other made the baffling decision to keep camping the wrong extract on a map with all three extracts in the bottom right corner.

Hunt is a land of contrasts alright. And morons.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Just got killed by Archie (KDA 8,34 and extremely skilled streamer). I have a KDA of 0,85... Great matchmaking!

As has been previously mentioned in the thread, the playerbase isnt big enough for matchmaking to be anything other than "find 12 people trying to find a game at the same time"

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Basticle posted:

As has been previously mentioned in the thread, the playerbase isnt big enough for matchmaking to be anything other than "find 12 people trying to find a game at the same time"

I know :) just wanted to share a funny example because I am nowhere near his league.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.gyazo.com/6b8993ebe5ae3237257cdcfb9949f542.mp4

The three whitest of shirts.
Such confusion.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

DarkDobe posted:

The three whitest of shirts.
Such confusion.

Welcome to Hunt :getin:

Pretty bad that they didn't immediately pick up on the stomping sounds on the metal rooftop. I wish the game had some sort of kill-cam to help with this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game feels like total rear end right now, I'm hesitant to leap to everyone is cheating because of course they aren't but it went to poo poo the day the Twitch drops started and I just have not been having fun since.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did some trios with friends. After we killed two people, we burned the bodies and hung around waiting for the third to show back up. Took us about ten minutes to stumble on the body of the third that one of us had killed and forgotten about.

In a different game, I won a 1v3 clutch after both teammates were downed. Then I immediately died to the bees the final enemy had thrown at me.

I hated this game the first time I played it two years ago and even refunded it. Game good.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

In the 990+ hours I've played, I feel like the number of times I've run into obvious hackers is 3. There may have been many more that are more subtle about it, but I can't really say. I mostly play on US West, but maybe it's more prevalent on US East.

A general suggestion I'll give out to others is to enable Shadowplay and regularly clip the events leading up to a death. Then spend quite a bit of time self-critiquing and looking at where things could have gone better. Did you have nearby cover, did you re-peek the same window/corner again, did you lead too much with your shots? etc.

I'd be happy to provide feedback if anyone wants to post videos or message via PMs. My KD ratio is at 2.29 now (and did get bumped after adding assists), but I usually play a more cautious play style with a long ammo rifle of some sort, and try to keep engagements at medium/long distances until we get a pick on a team. The guy I regularly play with started at ~1.3 KD ratio, but he's over 3.52 now.

And yeah, at some point tactics can be all moot if you run into someone with amazing reactions and aim. Maybe it's time to warm up and practice your head shots on grunts in the solo training mode, or to reconsider your mouse sensitivity, or other physical things like how you grip your mouse.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

K/D can be weird; pretty sure it counts anytime you go down as a kill, even if someone gets you back up.

Reminds me of another game today. Sneak up, kill a couple people, get shot in the back of the head from stealth. Buddy kills that person and gets me up, I go to a nearby building to heal and turn the corner into a THIRD person with dual silenced pistols who murders me with my health kit out. He runs away and my buddy gets me up AGAIN only for the guy to come charging back into the building with an axe to take my final health bar away. I was so mad.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Varkas posted:

In the 990+ hours I've played, I feel like the number of times I've run into obvious hackers is 3. There may have been many more that are more subtle about it, but I can't really say. I mostly play on US West, but maybe it's more prevalent on US East.

A general suggestion I'll give out to others is to enable Shadowplay and regularly clip the events leading up to a death. Then spend quite a bit of time self-critiquing and looking at where things could have gone better. Did you have nearby cover, did you re-peek the same window/corner again, did you lead too much with your shots? etc.

I'd be happy to provide feedback if anyone wants to post videos or message via PMs. My KD ratio is at 2.29 now (and did get bumped after adding assists), but I usually play a more cautious play style with a long ammo rifle of some sort, and try to keep engagements at medium/long distances until we get a pick on a team. The guy I regularly play with started at ~1.3 KD ratio, but he's over 3.52 now.

And yeah, at some point tactics can be all moot if you run into someone with amazing reactions and aim. Maybe it's time to warm up and practice your head shots on grunts in the solo training mode, or to reconsider your mouse sensitivity, or other physical things like how you grip your mouse.

I run into a hacker about once every week at least, much more often now as I am sure hackers want to be hunting the twitch drop streamers. Its very common. Perhaps you don't play like a coward like I do, but its super obvious when I haven't moved from a bush in 10 minutes (That no one ever saw me go into), and no one has darksight, that a shot comes out of the blue to nail me in the head.

Crytek not too long ago said something along the lines of "We have recently banned thousands of hackers" and when there are only ever like 10k players at peak, 1000's of hackers makes you go :thinking:

edit: Found it:

crytek posted:

- January: 430 players banned

- February: 443 players banned

- March: 566 players banned

Hacking is a pretty big problem. If it were 500 players a month in a game that had a big population it'd be a drop in the bucket, but these numbers mean that any match you go into you may have ~5-10% chance there is a hacker in there.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'm not sure if taking the peak players is the right value to use, and should instead probably be the total number of unique players that logged in for that month (which is going to be higher than the peak players, but I don't know that figure).

That aside though, we really need some proper replay functionality that let's you playback a game from any given player's perspective.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but KDA seems to have more problems attached to it than it's worth in a game like this. This isn't a competitive game, so having leaderboards and a "good at game" public stat just encourages people to do lovely things like camp for KDA farming, and especially hacking. I don't queue with randoms but obviously that's an issue too where people abandon you if your Git Gud Number is too low. They should ditch it.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, KD would probably be better to have hidden to just your own profile or your friends, and maybe temporarily visible to those that kill you. At least you'd have something to reference over time.

The guy at the top of the bounty hunt leader board right now is quite likely a smurf account that played briefly to just to farm KD and not play the objective at all.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Varkas posted:

I'm not sure if taking the peak players is the right value to use, and should instead probably be the total number of unique players that logged in for that month (which is going to be higher than the peak players, but I don't know that figure).

That aside though, we really need some proper replay functionality that let's you playback a game from any given player's perspective.

OK sure the methodology I used isn't perfectly sound but my point still stands its a lot of hackers for a game of this size. Its a real shame. Because yeah without true replay or whatever, its truly difficult to know except in a few key situations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This prestige run (and probably for a while longer) I am playing as Dr. Bees - using only handbows and poison related equipment.
Good times so far, and I'm getting nasty with the little handbow especially.

https://i.gyazo.com/38ad0d37ddb1355308809938ea65e24a.mp4

Highlighted point: Rooftop man gets shot by his team-mate and it makes me giggle.
Indoor guy absolutely spooked the poo poo out of me.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 3, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wish to get off Mr. Fragbomb's wild ride.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/m5ilv4

This was very satisfying.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/nfc504

:v:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dr. Bees strikes again.

https://i.gyazo.com/41df5faaa04b056ad4b79aeb4cf71d9b.mp4

At 28 sec you can see a hunter run out (she dies to bees)

I'm collecting clips (most of them are crossbow kills) but today - 2 bee jar murders, and 2 bee assists in 2 matches tonight. Delicious.

----

https://i.gyazo.com/c6920ee2c72a61be33bfc1188567863b.mp4

First throwy knife kill in a while.
It hit him in the dick.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/dvnip0

this game sometimes