Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Servers back up. After many crashes and restarts I finally got in a game. I saw a zombie and lined up my sights. I pulled the trigger and the server crashed. Then the game crashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So far my adventures have ended in crashes. Granted I'm using an ancient computer so I understand that a closed, unoptomimzed alpha isn't going to treat me too great. Today I crashed because I stood in a place too long. I checked a text message and the game crashed. I did manage to kill another hunter because he was fixated on zombies. As soon as he died the game crashed. I'm enjoying it so far.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Best of luck getting the game to work right now. Me and my randomly assignee Korean partner are trying to hunt monsters across the language barrier. I kept typing "don't shoot" but he kept shooting and drew the attention of other hunters and got us both murdered.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I feel like they're real scarce with the keys right now. I signed up back in November. On the upside the game is running much better today. I killed some other players. Heads up though, always pay the extra for a hunter with a machete or silenced M1895. That way you can kill mobs without letting the whole loving map know your location.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Nothing as satisfying as hearing a gunshot, seeing a muzzle flash and then yelling "Tallyho fuckers!" As you throw a stick of dynamite at them.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sticky Nate posted:

my experience is usually a gunshot and then a face full of dirt

also I managed to solo the spider when it got caught on some stairs. camped the trophy for five mins and waltzed to freedom.

Oh trust me I eat dirt far more often than not. Though dying in this game isn't bad. Just hire another hunter and away you go. I've become a huge fan of the M1895 suppressed. Not for other players but for the shambling monsters roaming the countryside. I tried using it on another player and hit him 5 times in the back and he turned around and blew my face off with a handcannon.

I really like how you can't have just a pvp build or just a pve build. You have to figure what works for both and that is part of the fun.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was opening the door to a shack when I heard a rifle shot behind me so I shut the door and grabbed the sledgehammer sitting on a box. When the other player opened the door I rushed out to where I thought they were at swinging the sledge wildly. I was shot in the back and died.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Couldn't get a game at all today post-patch. Game just froze at the search for match screen. Such is the nature of an alpha build.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Best of luck. Today I've actually gotten into a couple games. I'm noticing that I'm being killed pretty quickly into rounds though. Like just crouchin through the swamp and then I'm dead. I need more time in this game but it crashes more often than it plays. Still excited for full release.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hey I'm occasionally getting games on my busted rear end old rig so there's hope for everyone. AMD 8320 Black Edition 3.5ghz and a Radeon HD7950. Getting 40-60 fps on LOW setting.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is it normal now to coordinate and group up in solo? 3 times tonite while queueing solo I've come across groups of 2 or more working together. That's pretty bullshit. On the upside one of the groups I broke up via clumsy revolver fight. Another group didn't know where they were getting shot from and I managed to drop all 3 of them while they frantically moved from location to location trying to find me.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Weird as gently caress. That still doesn't explain the group of 3. What the gently caress though? I've just been playing on hard mode this whole time? I was just too lazy to set up a mic for team play.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

RIP janky alpha.

Onward to early access!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

30 bucks is steep for an early access game. Finish it then up the price. Do a Subnautica or The Long Dark. Both games had good price points because you were essentially testing the game for them and when they were finished they got a price increase. I'm just trying to justify being broke as hell.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Logitech G35 goes on sale on Amazon all the time and is a great stereo headset for gaming. I bought one for 40 bucks like a year or 2 ago and love it. It's USB connected and 7.1 channel surround sound.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

deported to Canada posted:

Some of the negative Steam reviews are hilarious. It's full of people saying "I lost my character with no warning" despite the Devs posting when server resets happen with ample time to extract. Or it's people saying I got the game with borderline minimum specs and I can't get 90fps like *other game that's been released for years*.

And then there's the people saying "I'm getting killed out of nowhere without seeing anybody, hackers?" :rolleyes:

If you don't think it will run on your rig, it probably won't. At least not yet. And if you think it's hackers killing you, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

You really have to have a pretty old rig to not run this, even in it's unoptimized state, at a decent framerate. I posted my specs upthread and during the end of the alpha even my old dinosaur was happily chugging along at a decent FPS. Also fuckin lol at the suggestion that people are hacking. I think it's throwing people off that getting shot in the head actually outright kills you in this game. I like it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Be like water. But not actually in the water if you can help it. It'll make you slower and an an easy target. Silenced M1895 is your best friend along with a knife or machete. Be quiet. Check around you as you go. The scenery is pretty static so it's easy to see another player moving from place to place. I took out 3 hunters just standing under a gnarled tree root and carefully picking shots. Also a headset is pretty much a must. Listen for distant gunshots or crows or those bisected horses.

Tl:dr everything makes noise. Make less noise and you'll catch out the people who can't.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Gonna drop the fun level severely if someone can hole up and glass me from half the map away.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You need a high 900 series at a minimum right now. I have a 1080 and it runs 60+, so that might be overkill especially given prices at the moment.

Related: I calculated my PC appreciated in value over the past year since I built it.

I don't know if I lucked out but I'm running it fine with an AMD FX 8320 and a Radeon HD7950. I built this computer like 4 years or more ago. I'm confident enough in the performance I've gotten that I bought it from GMG because of the discount so I can't even get a refund.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kept getting random crashes so I opened up my CPU monitor and it was running at a balmy 82 celcius. Sorry hunt but I guess my old rear end 8 core processor just ain't enough.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Applying new thermal paste to CPU. I had a suspicion since I let my friend do this on the initial build. There is almost none on there. Poor processor. I should have taken a picture. It was one small dot of paste and that was it. Might explain the insane heat issues.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Tamed my overheating issue but I'm still garbage. Game is still fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm convinced the game knows when I'm doing well. I can have long games where I get shot near the end by another hunter and it all plays fine. If I manage to off a few hunters, get a lot of creature kills, and make my way towards the boss fight the game will hardlock. It's happened 3 times now.