Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Untrustable posted:

I really like how you can't have just a pvp build or just a pve build. You have to figure what works for both and that is part of the fun.

The answer is a knife. A knife solves this dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Is it normal now to coordinate and group up in solo? 3 times tonite while queueing solo I've come across groups of 2 or more working together. That's pretty bullshit. On the upside one of the groups I broke up via clumsy revolver fight. Another group didn't know where they were getting shot from and I managed to drop all 3 of them while they frantically moved from location to location trying to find me.

Solo and duo are put into the same battles, there is no separate queue. This game is good but solo play seems to be designed for misery to encourage teaming up and playing the game normally.

Sard
May 11, 2012

There are people who do coordinate into larger groups, just going by what I've seen posted on the discord server, but I imagine that's a very rare occurrence. I'm really curious how the solo/duo situation is going to play out as the game develops; the game is flat-out designed for teams of two, and I think they're too worried about long queues in a niche game to keep separate matchmaking service for each mode. But the battle royale audience that they're going to need to attract and win over is full of people who prefer to go it alone, and I'm pretty sure the crowd excited at the prospect of The Most Dangerous Game has a lot of loners too.

Also, it's not going to take long for people to get really bothered by the risk of your rando teammate being a griefer that kills you as soon as the match starts.

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 21, 2018

Sard
May 11, 2012

I forgot about Helios. Welp, I already paid for the game. As long as they don't add items on the Steam Marketplace it shouldn't get too lovely.

Sard
May 11, 2012

The Nitro is dumb and I hope they remove that aspect of it. This game will hemorrhage new blood fast if it develops into a scenario of old hands with Nitros and newbies who never get a chance to fight back.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Studio posted:

But where do I put my pair of Double Barrel Shotguns :confused:

Why aren't you running two sabers?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Amante posted:

Pretty close to unlocking the Sparks, looking forward to trying it (despite that price tag).

I really want the Sabre but that's gonna be a while... how does the Machete compare? It's listed as doing more damage but apparently Sabre attacks faster? I also hear Sabre one shots at any HP... does Machete?

The machete is perfectly fine for dismembering other players. Can't say much for the reach, but it's quick and quiet enough to kill the second guy in a room before he knows the first guy is dead. So far it has killed everyone in one swing but the reach might be an issue.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Getting back into this after some months away. Dogs are even scarier now. Bosses seem easier to kill? I'm not sure if they lowered their HP or if they're just less janky to fight. Also, I recall reading about a buff to sawn-off weapons, what's that about and did it work?

And they also changed the way clues look? This new one is cool with the first discovery breaking it open, but I miss that creepy-rear end constriction of skulls into the void.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 18, 2018

Sard
May 11, 2012

The little details in this game keep impressing even months after release; I love the weathering on the scopes:

The only good recent kill story I can offer is when I tracked a duo into a church, but was not very well armed so I grabbed a sledgehammer and turned on the player piano. Hearing the one ask the other what was going on while I strode down the stairs to bash him in the head was worth the death that immediately followed when his friend turned around. I want to be able to buy cheap short-lived throwable music boxes.

Do alarm animals like chickens and dogs always make idle noises when you're within earshot with only one level of panicked sound, or is there a progression of noise as they get more and more spooked by a nearby player?

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 20, 2018

Sard
May 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Winfield1873C

The gun starts with a full magazine but nothing ready to fire; the first round in the magazine is immediately chambered, leaving you with an open spot to reload when the match begins.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I do like how DSB is so powerful; it's made the bounty carrier go from being harried prey to something like the actual boss of the map. To that end, they ought to increase the rewards now for people who steal the bounty and escape, like by assigning the same bounty target kill bonus to the act of killing the player carrying it. It'd be interesting if they further tweaked it so that it eventually expires even if unused. Maybe a time limit of several minutes after picking it up, or a very very slow decay of the usage time to the same effect. I don't know if this would encourage players to camp the exits even harder instead of actively attacking; I don't really want that, or for the bounty carriers to completely lose their newfound threat, but something to encourage them to get a move on to the exit instead of using their DSB to go hunting other players.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

2) Lantern it and move on. This is less useful if you want to move where it is, but effective if you just want to make sure it isn't a threat and move on without firing a shot.

The last time I tried this months ago, she burned long enough to make a racket and cause some damage with the swarm. Does fire kill Hives faster now?

Sard
May 11, 2012

I know a lot of folks get really upset at this idea but having a killcam would do wonders for getting players caught up on how to play. Just being able to see how you messed up and what actions the other party took is worth more than a dozen guides.

Sard
May 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Monsters act dumb as gently caress in this game and it's bad.

Undead hell-plague swamp people are probably not big thinkers.

A friend pissed off a dog though and then instead of chasing him it immediately diverted to maul me as I tried to stop it, so that seemed good.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Have the devs discussed looting weapons off dead dudes? It'd obviously need a videogamey block on looting your own teammate to stop envious randos from murdering you, but it seems like it'd be a nice way to implement a 100% commensurate reward for the risk of fighting someone that you know has a kickass gun. And the other way around, suddenly the sound of a really good weapon won't just be a benefit to you spooking off other players, it might draw in the greedier ones.

Sard
May 11, 2012

The good guns suck to fight against, but since I started running a Romero Talon with a regular ol' Caldwell revolver, I have killed a lot of poor idiots and not died yet. The Romero Talon is an insanely satisfying gun.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Just let us take weapons from the murdered dead and this problem will rapidly solve itself.

Obviously, with a block on looting teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Let me take a moment to talk about how much I hate Water Devils from a design standpoint.

You'd be surprised how many people didn't cotton on to the idea that water is bad so the water devil is a good way to really drive that point home. Even without that though, I really like them. They're the kind of enemy the game needs more of, something that is hard to deal with because you shouldn't be trying to confront it. It adds a lot of suspense; if I'm running at full speed for a good reason, then when I get to a body of water there's more going on with the decision to take a water shortcut besides stealth concerns. Plus, they remind me of those water lurkers from Amnesia, so that's cool.

Decoys, as usual, are the answer to dealing with them. Chuck one as far as you can and cross the water quickly.