Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

How is Bologna? I've been to Italy only once in my life and that was to Rome, which was way too touristy for my tastes, I'm considering a short trip in the fall or winter. We like to simply sit around and eat great affordable food and drink wine most of all, is Bologna good for that?

Bologna is nice and super not touristy at all. There are lots of students and some foreign students, but at least from my one visit there in late spring, there are essentially zero foreign tourists. Make sure that you do the walk up to the San Luca church. It's a crazy walkway and the view from the hill is pretty nice, although not mindblowing. That they made like a 2 mile long covered walkway to the place is, however, kind of mindblowing. Whoever built Bologna must have had a cousin who was in the business of selling covered walkways because holy poo poo did they go all out on that.

Other than that I don't think there's really any major draw to Bologna, which is kind of a relief actually since it means you can just sit around and relax and enjoy the food instead of worrying that you missed out on X. Actually basically all of Emilia-Romagna is like that. A bunch of nice stuff but nothing so famous that you feel obligated to go and see it, so instead of checklist checking you can actually enjoy your entire time.

I would maybe not go to Bologna during student vacation times though; I bet the city looks like the setting for a zombie film between semesters given that something like 20% of the city's population is university students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Saladman posted:

Other than that I don't think there's really any major draw to Bologna, which is kind of a relief actually since it means you can just sit around and relax and enjoy the food instead of worrying that you missed out on X. Actually basically all of Emilia-Romagna is like that. A bunch of nice stuff but nothing so famous that you feel obligated to go and see it, so instead of checklist checking you can actually enjoy your entire time.

Oooh, I love places like that! Bologna's going on my list of places to visit now.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Actually if you have time I'd recommend a day-trip out to Ravenna, where you'll find incredible Byzantine-era Christian mosaics inside a bunch of different churches. I'm a huge fan of mosaic art so YMMV, but our mental imagery of Christian icons and scenes is so dominated by the Renaissance, it's incredible to see stuff from long before that, with a totally different style.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gently caress yeah I'm going to Bologna then. When it comes to travel I basically stopped giving a poo poo about buildings and landmarks (except maybe museums...) and care only about food and drink.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shibawanko posted:

gently caress yeah I'm going to Bologna then. When it comes to travel I basically stopped giving a poo poo about buildings and landmarks (except maybe museums...) and care only about food and drink.

Yeah, me too. Cool thing about museums: sometimes the small out-of-the-way ones have some really interesting and idiosyncratic collections, and they are often more pleasant to visit than "destination museums" because they aren't packed with people constantly.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Shibawanko posted:

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If I can't put it in my mouth it don't matter

• Locked thread