Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STOPpre
Jun 15, 2009

I'm trying to plan a two-ish week trip to Italy :italy: with my wife for May-June of 2018.

We're looking to see Venice, Florence, Rome and if time permits, finish the trip with a stay along the Amalfi coast.
Right now I'm mentally tallying 2 days for Venice, 3 for Florence and 3.5 (after accounting for morning travel) for Rome. However we were thinking of using Florence as a base to make day trips to Cinque Terre and villages in Tuscany.

So to my questions:
1. Should I stick with just trying to see the major cities, or does 12-16 days (depending on Amalfi) give me plenty of time to see the major spots and take day trips? If anyone has done "the big 3" in Italy and would like to share their experiences or itineraries, I would be very appreciative.
2. Does Cinque Terre deserve an overnight stay, or can the towns be seen and appreciated in a day trip from Florence?....If time or money becomes an issue, would you recommend seeing Cinque Terre or Amalfi?
3. Has anyone done a trip through Tuscany, and if so do you have recommendations for an itinerary or an appropriate amount of time one should devote to the area? Would we be better off packing up from Florence and spending an overnight in Tuscany before heading to Rome? (I plan on making use of an overnight bag to make packing and unpacking slightly easier, but lugging a giant suitcase to 5+ hotels sounds daunting)
4. Any areas in Italy or sites that are just not worth the time and hassle, despite popularity?
5. Is it worth getting a car while in the Florence area to explore Tuscany?
6. Hotel recommendations in Amalfi? (I'm okay dropping some extra coin in Amalfi if the place is next-level awesome...or is that just a stupid waste of money?)

I didn't see any threads dedicated specifically to Italy, so I started this one. I look forward to hearing about people previous trips, their tips and any and all recommendations. TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STOPpre
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks everyone.

TheEye posted:

Here's my itinerary from several years ago in case it's useful...

We've actually settled on a slightly similar, albeit backwards itinerary.

I think we're going to fly into Venice, spend two days there before hopping a train to Florence for another two days there. I'm going to pick up a car the morning of day 3 in Florence and head South out of town into Tuscany. We're starting to look for a nice place to set up camp in Tuscany for 4 nights that is centrally located and easy to make day trips to different villages from?

Anyone have Tuscan lodging suggestions?

After relaxing in the Tuscan countryside for 4 days the plan is to then drive to Rome, drop the car off and spend the last 4 or 5 days in Rome before flying out of FCO.

• Locked thread