Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

A horridor shooter.

It feels like they weren't going for much of a horror vibe, though, what with the constant presence of other space dudes, constant military chatter, etc. it's hard to do horror without some sense of isolation or loneliness.

Horrors of war? :shrug:

painedforever posted:

I guess. But you are left alone at various points, and a lot of the soldiers around you get killed in various horrible ways.

By the way, I just realized. Alexey brought back subtitles! What a nice Easter gift.

... is Easter on the same dates for the Eastern Orthodox Church?

I am proud to say that I neither know nor care. Easter doesn't generate any extra days off here, anyway, so there's literally no reason to know it

Palladium posted:

This game doesn't have enough brown, grey and black palettes. 0/10 would not recommend.

Also, I felt Doom 3 based games graphically aged really badly versus Q3/UT2003 based games.

id Tech 4 did not age well at all. They looked better than Q3 games back when because they had more polygons, but today they look worse, even with higher resolution textures. Everything looks... I don't know... bubbly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

painedforever posted:

... is Easter on the same dates for the Eastern Orthodox Church?

More importantly, do they celebrate April Fool's Day on the 15th in Russia?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The older IdTech games always looked like action figure playsets to me, its the really shiny flat surfaces I think. Doom 4 kinda has this but they managed to rein it in a lot more.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Dreadwroth posted:

The older IdTech games always looked like action figure playsets to me, its the really shiny flat surfaces I think.
Gives everything a plastic look

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Alexeythegreat posted:

I am so regretting not just scripting it and not saying "I did say run" in the end instead of all those unnecessary words that I did manage to produce

That has not historically been a very successful level-clearing strategy in the early days of FPSs, I don't think. But it... almost felt like what you were supposed to do, here?

That or just let one shoot rockets into the other one.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is to inform everyone that the updates will resume next weekend and to ensure that the thread doesn't get archived until that happens

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hell yeah, I was wondering if the LP was gonna resume just the other day.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I failed to deliver a month ago, here's why

We are now going deep into the Strogg territory and we have more Strauss. This is where the single most frustrating enemy to fight on max difficulty comes up, and hot drat is this an infuriating section to play through.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So which is more painful, Hepatitis A, or fighting those floaty flying machinegun assholes on the highest difficulty level?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

So which is more painful, Hepatitis A, or fighting those floaty flying machinegun assholes on the highest difficulty level?

Yes :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's great to see you back in any case, Alexey. :v:

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I've always had a soft spot for the idtech 3 games and playing quake 4 again is on my list. But gently caress playing it on hard.

Great to have you back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laughing Zealot posted:

I've always had a soft spot for the idtech 3 games and playing quake 4 again is on my list. But gently caress playing it on hard.

Great to have you back.

Idtech 4.

3 was Q3 era.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

Great to have you back.

Oh yes, Q4 is legit fun, slowness notwithstanding, on lower difficulties. It is not a bad game by any means
(I also don't hate Doom 3)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Glad you weren't diappeared Alexey

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Sucks about being hospitalized. Glad to see you're doing all right. I was starting to wonder.

Alexeythegreat posted:

By the way, there will be no death reel for this. You are sitting through every last second of this.

I mean, fair enough.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

Oh yes, Q4 is legit fun, slowness notwithstanding, on lower difficulties. It is not a bad game by any means
(I also don't hate Doom 3)

What about Prey?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

What about Prey?

Sphincters for doors and the revival minigame are bad, everything else is okay to decent

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, it's good to have you back!

Those hitscanners really feel out of place in a game like this, as does the slow movement speed - either let the player dodge, or let them have a way to get into a position where they don't have to. Otherwise, as you point out, it feels like trying your luck blindly rather than playing a game.

Is the hyperblaster hitscan? Seems like a departure from its original incarnation of being slow but decent damage projectiles, and the characteristic spin-down when you stop firing looks like it's gone too?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
An update is coming soon-ish. Meanwhile, place your bets on the number of deaths I'll be at by the time I win the Macron fight.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, it's good to have you back!

Those hitscanners really feel out of place in a game like this, as does the slow movement speed - either let the player dodge, or let them have a way to get into a position where they don't have to. Otherwise, as you point out, it feels like trying your luck blindly rather than playing a game.

Is the hyperblaster hitscan? Seems like a departure from its original incarnation of being slow but decent damage projectiles, and the characteristic spin-down when you stop firing looks like it's gone too?

No, the hyperblaster isn't hitscan, but its projectiles are very fast

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think 50, it's maybe a tad low but I don't remember the first Macron fight being huge bullshit after you'd played the game a couple times.

Though I also haven't played this game in 8 years soooooooooo

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I remember the problem with that fight was that you hit it just after another big fight so were always horribly low on health and ammo, probably deliberately.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aaaand it's time. The biggest problem with this fight is less difficulty and more me having trouble with this fight specifically for whatever reason. Still hard, though. I tried to meme as best I could to compensate for my badness in the fight and the mind-numbing corridor-walking that immediately preceded it. Once again, though, the corridors will get infinitely less obnoxious after we get powered up starting next ep.

The big change is coming up soon and that's where the game is going to get both more fun and much more unforgiving (because it wasn't difficult enough already).

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That was painful to watch. Must have been even more painful to play. Goondolences

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Your pursuit of science delights me, Alexey. :allears:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Can't believe you got dunked on so hard by the president of France.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Technowolf posted:

Can't believe you got dunked on so hard by the president of France.

:france:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
He starts off strong but his approval rating declines rapidly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man that must've been rough.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I ensure everyone that this was one of the most frustrating things I've done in my life

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

I ensure everyone that this was one of the most frustrating things I've done in my life

Thank you for your service. :ussr:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's time

This is it, the stroggification and the part where the game becomes, for a while, relentlessly brutal. Movement speed is up and we can now read Strogg, which mysteriously turns out to be English in a different alphabet. Rhino squad are idiots. The section is very very hard

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is it, the stroggification and the part where the game becomes, for a while, relentlessly brutal.

Would you say that you stroggled with this section a lot?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You missed one death near the end there, Alexey :)

On a more serious note, holy poo poo does the hardest mode look unfun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I did a run of the original call of duty like this. On the hardest setting a single bullet would kill you and the set pieces were designed with regenerating health in mind. Hundreds of enemies all shooting at you. There were many, many quick saves

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
And this, kids, is why you don't play on the highest difficulty level.

The Stroggification sequence really was a big shocker when it came out. Previews talked about it at length, magazines here in the UK devoted entire articles to discussing it. In reality it's a grisly haunted house ride where you're mostly watching (and listening to - I turned the sound off on my own playthrough) horrific stuff happen to the guy in front of you.

Interestingly, unlike "No Russian" a few years later it wasn't regarded with disgust. Quake 4 is one of few games to make good use of tactically making the player powerless (there's more stuff coming up much later in the game), and it's a legitimate storytelling method.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So...supposedly Kane being able to read Strogg now is because they downloaded it into the neurocyte they implanted. But then Andersen says the neurocyte isn't active. Sooo, how is it letting him read Strogg?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It seemed like when you were able to get cover that that emergency blaster took a surprising turn for the actually useful. How much damage does it do/how useful is it on a sane difficulty setting?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

malkav11 posted:

So...supposedly Kane being able to read Strogg now is because they downloaded it into the neurocyte they implanted. But then Andersen says the neurocyte isn't active. Sooo, how is it letting him read Strogg?

It's not controlling him, but he gets to use it to read Strogg and do other Strogg stuff because the plot requires it.

White Coke fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, thanks to Outlast and Resident Evil 7 that scene was pretty tame in comparison.

• Locked thread