Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hello everyone. First of all:

littleorv posted:

I watched 1995 ghost in the shell this evening. I'll write down my thoughts tomorrow. Probably while I'm at work :D

loving lol at this I'm only 19 days late. Absolutely fantastic movie but I didn't feel like I could say anything about it that hasn't been said to death already and in a much more eloquent fashion than I could ever articulate myself. The action scenes are incredible and flow in such a great fashion. The scene where Makoto fights that dude while cloaked is going to be burned into my memory for a long rear end time. The real question though is what makes someone a human. A question that is way over my head. This movie peaked my interest in the universe so I will be checking out the second movie sometime and Stand Alone Complex. Maybe even the Arise movies if I'm feeling saucy.

Second of all I just finished Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale and it was pretty decent, actually. In this movie a brave VR snob seeks to prove that AR is for cucks by being better than everyone at it as soon as he takes it seriously. But plot twist the AR had VR elements all along truly proving the superiority of VR technology. One of the antagonists tries to erase everyone's memories about the time he was a huge coward and didn't do poo poo. Also something about reconstructing his young looking crush into an AI because he felt bad because he watched her die. Bonus plot point of people who create VR and AR technology are selfish and evil and not to be trusted. Another important point is that AR/VR idols cause brain degradation. Really relatable plot points and themes here. Finally there is a brief shot of rear end and nipples. Enjoy!

I'm up to 3 movies already for the month of January. I imagine I'll end up watching a decent amount over the 24 movies I set out for by the time the year is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xinder posted:

but...Your Name was legitimately good???

He's a good director but his writing forgets that humans have things called emotions, Your Name wasn't originally written by him.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Xinder posted:

movie 1: 5 Centimeters Per Second

So after I saw Your Name in theaters and loved it, I got my hands on this and decided to watch it eventually. I finally did and...it was not very good. I wasn't expecting the episodic format, and none of the characters felt likable at all. Some of the situations felt relateable, but the characters didn't. I felt no connection to any of them. I feel like I missed something? I did not enjoy this movie.

you should definitely watch voices of a distant star

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I'll try to watch 12 anime movies this year.

#1: Mary and the Witch's Flower. It's very pretty! It's also got a pretty simple story. Ordinary girl gains magical powers, is taken to an obviously shady magical school, and there's a bunch of action after the people running the school reveal their evil plot. Most of the characters are fun or endearing, but it's probably not worth seeing except for the visuals, which are really nice.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I was so disappointed in Unfaithful Wife I decided to replace the other two movies by that guy with whatever I feel like. So I watched Pigsty. Second Pasolini after Salo, it's less gross. It cuts between two separate stories, one in an undetermined past in a volcanic region where a guy goes around killing and eating people before he and his band are captured by soldiers, tied to stakes and left for the wolves. No one speaks in this entire story until right before the end when he says "I killed my father. I tasted human flesh. I quiver with joy" repeatedly. The other is about the son of a German captain of industry who is heavily implied to gently caress pigs and his father's political machinations. There's an early part where he's arguing with his lover and there's a closeup shot of her face that tracks perfectly whenever she turns her head. It's a really disconcerting effect that I've never seen done before.
In conclusion I liked it but I'm starting to think I'm pretty cold on Pasolini in general.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i didn't finish watching salo. about an hour in i determined that i didnt care enough about whatever the anti-fascist message was to sit through the grossness

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
It is a brittle spirit that belongs to a man who fantasizes about putting things in men's anuses, but can't watch 30 minutes of extremely explicit coprophilia.

Though tbf I think a lot of the point is how watching these incredibly shocking scenes of violence just becomes really boring and dull as the movie goes on. Also at the very end there's a scene at the very end where each one of the three fascists sits in an armchair and watches the two others through a looking glass as they kill all the kids in the yard and I'm still pondering over what exactly that meant. Not my favorite movie overall but pretty interesting.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Anyway I'd just like to say I'm glad orv has the correct opinions on GITS 1995

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 8: miss hokusai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwic9kFx2c
paintings are probably the art form that most benefits from being seen in real life. pictures never manage to capture the texture, nor the 3 dimensionality of them. miss hokusai fails the same way, perhaps inevitably so as an anime. while i appreciate the fun animation sequences they build around the paintings, ultimately none of them manage to capture them in a way that can compare to the real thing. outside of that, the best sequences all involve the various yokai and the movie's decent sense of humor. miss hokusai herself is also a fairly charming character. the movie as a whole largely takes the form as an episodic slice of life story, and in some ways that is its undoing. it never manages to give the characters much depth, and it wastes a lot of time on a story line featuring a blind little sister that never goes anywhere interesting. also for a movie about art there is some absolutely hideous cg, especially during various sequences where they want to do a little animation showoff by spinning the camera around quickly moving characters, which are then made moot by all the distracting cgi buildings in the background.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

movie 8: miss hokusai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwic9kFx2c
paintings are probably the art form that most benefits from being seen in real life. pictures never manage to capture the texture, nor the 3 dimensionality of them. miss hokusai fails the same way, perhaps inevitably so as an anime. while i appreciate the fun animation sequences they build around the paintings, ultimately none of them manage to capture them in a way that can compare to the real thing. outside of that, the best sequences all involve the various yokai and the movie's decent sense of humor. miss hokusai herself is also a fairly charming character. the movie as a whole largely takes the form as an episodic slice of life story, and in some ways that is its undoing. it never manages to give the characters much depth, and it wastes a lot of time on a story line featuring a blind little sister that never goes anywhere interesting. also for a movie about art there is some absolutely hideous cg, especially during various sequences where they want to do a little animation showoff by spinning the camera around quickly moving characters, which are then made moot by all the distracting cgi buildings in the background.

Are you allergic to capitalization my man?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xinder posted:

but...Your Name was legitimately good???

Your Name is the culmination of Shinkai's efforts to find the least poo poo context with with to tell the same story he's been trying to tell since Voices of a Distant Star and finally succeeding by giving up trying to be clever and just dousing the entire thing in melodrama.

With the exception of that one Miyazaki-like fantasy thing. That was bad on it's own merits.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Expect My Mom posted:

this weekend, I'm either going to watch Kizumonogatari 3 for my January movie, or get drunk and rewatch Fast and Furious 1

wish me luck
i ended up doing the latter so i'll try and watch kizu3 tomorrow

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
okay i did it

Movie #1 - Kizumonogatari Part 3: Reiketsu-hen
I have such an incredibly hard time articulating my thoughts on the Monogatari series. I've only seen Bakemonogatari and I like it, and I enjoyed this a lot too but...I don't Monogatari is weird! It had been a while since I saw both Bakemonogatari and the first two Kizu films so maybe I didn't get as much out of it as I could have, but I still really liked it. It looks great, Shaft makes Monogatari look loving insane 24/7 and is just shockingly surreal. There's a whole fifteen minutes that felt lifted from a hentai and then one of the most buckwild and visceral fights I've seen a while, yet never really felt emotionally compromised. The ending left such a strange taste in my mouth in a way that I am still thinking about a day later. I'm also just weirdly into vampire stories? Vampires own imo.

This a terrible review, but I do think that these movies might serve as a good introduction to Monogatari as a whole? Series veterans could probably correct me on that, but it's a prequel to the (maybe?) the entire series and going in having only seen one previous entry, I felt more than equipped to understand it and know what's going on, and I think you could probably do the same with nothing. If anything this made me really want to get back into the series. It's such a cool, and all over the place urban fantasy and I'm very into it. Maybe I'll go rewatch Bakemonogatari and then go read like eight wiki pages to figure out where to go next.

anyway, I would die for Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the kizu book came out right after bake, so i wouldn't be surprised if that reflects on the movies

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Ah that makes sense, but also weird? I found Bakemonogatari to be incredibly hard to get into at first. Maybe it was just getting used to the presentation or I wasn't prepared for it to be as conceptual as it was, but I def had to keep trying. The Kizu movies are a little more straightforward I felt so I feel it's cool to start with them.

I wanna try reading the novels since I read faster than I watch usually as weird as that sounds, but Money and also Shaft makes the anime look Insane

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched the Genocidal Organ movie today. It's based on a sci-fi book that was ranked the "best domestic sci fi of the decade" by Japanese voters, so I expected something really good.

The animation team definitely did their job researching the places that this film takes place. It's about Americans and takes place entirely in America and a few developing nations so it felt different from all the anime that have Japanese protagonists. It played out like a airport bestseller with a slice of philosophy and a dash of psuedo-linguistics. The main character is mostly a cipher to show of well choreographed action scenes and investigate the darkness of humanity. The most boring parts are when characters harp on about trading freedom for security like its some revolutionary idea. Maybe the Japanese weren't as exposed to this debate after 9/11 the way Americans were, so it feels fresh to them. This film was trying to be the Apocalypse Now for a new generation but it felt like a Nelson deMille book set in the near future.

I've definitely seen better adaptions of Japanese sci-fi, like Shin Sekai Yori which has a ton of better characters and examines the bad side of humanity with more nuance. And it doesn't even touch recent sci-fi classics from China like The Three Body Problem.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Genocidal Organ sounds like it should be an 80's sex & super violence OVA

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all 3 of his movies are awful so im inclined to think sci fi readers just have no taste

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Empire of Corpses is worth watching alone for the most hilarious stinger I've ever seen in film.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I saw Empire of Corpses last year and was really entertained for the first half. His work does go out of its way to be about people and places outside of Japan, which might be a breath of fresh air for readers there.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 9: Ghost in the Shell (2015): speaking of bad sci fi, here's one. capping off the arise series that ranges from mediocre to bad this movie is also a huge waste of time. theres not a single thing in it that hasn't been done better before in the series and every bit of philosophy is as shallow as could be. however the worst part of it are the character designs, which with the exception of the major (who just had a terrible personality downgrade) are awful. particular lowpoints are aramaki and this guy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what if instead of being ridiculously competent the major was ridiculously incompetent? arise is a weird au.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 10: Ihatov Gensou: Kenji no Haru: even if you haven't heard of kenji miyazawa, if you have watched a decent amount of anime you have probably seen something directly inspired by him. well this movie is a biography of sorts of the man. which also makes it a nice contrast to miss hokusai as this succeeds in a lot of ways where that doesn't. a great variety of great looking art styles get used to both portray a glimpse of kenji's life and his works. sadly enough however this also includes cgi, which as you might expect from its age isn't great. its a rather smart movie , doesn't spell everything out like most do. all in all i greatly enjoyed it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the 80's Night on the Galactic Railroad movie if you haven't already

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did actually watch that a long time ago, but didn't really care for it at the time. might be differen't now, who knows

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been terrible about keeping my list updated but as far as movie-watching goes I've been doing pretty alright.

Book Girl - As a long time anime fan there are plenty of very brief spurts of popularity I can remember that have all but died down these days. One of them was School Days. Most people have at least heard of the memes so I won't go into detail but long story short Book Girl reminds me of it in some ways. Not in the ending; nobody gets decapitated here. But rather in how much some of the character relationships quickly become a messy, soap opera-y melodrama, complete with some dramatic & ill-advised actions being taken in the heat of the moment. It works great in a single movie instead of being confined to a slow burn over a dozen episodes, it's easy to imagine a scenario where one of said actions becomes the focus of an entire episode instead of something that just happens and the characters are left to deal with the consequences. The only thing that gives me pause in recommending it is the weak ending but other than that, it's hard to find anime that can consistently produce that level of wild melodrama these days so heck if that sounds appealing to you then by all means hit it up!

One-Million Year Trip: Bander Book - Last year I started to gradually watch some of the Tezuka made for TV movies. Most of them are usually watchable enough: they tend to have plots that are hyper-focused on being a morality tale for whatever hot take Tezuka was having that year be it global warming, genetic modification, etc. Add some Tezuka characters to the mix and it's usually entertaining enough. Unfortunately Bander Book is a convoluted mess. it never quite knows what it wants to be and the individual vignettes miss more than they hit (they somehow made Black Jack moonlighting as a space pirate kinda boring!). In the last 15 minutes the movie finally decides that it's against industrialization and for incest + living off the land.

Crayon Shin-chan Movie 01: Action Kamen vs. Haigure Maou - The Shin-chan movie I always hear great things about is The Adult Empire Strikes Back, so naturally like an idiot I decided to watch the very first movie instead. My experience with the series is limited to catching just a few episodes back in the day when it was on Adult Swim, and for the first 20 minutes or so I was reminded of that; there's some decent comedy in Shin-chan's antics but unfortunately once the plot kicks in most of the jokes fail to land and the toku spoof that's the focus of the movie is in that awkward spot where it's mixing levity and seriousness in a way that satisfies neither. Admittedly one factor that hurt my enjoyment is that the fansubs for the movie were the awful mid 2000s kind of bad fansub where words with a very basic 1:1 translation were left untranslated and this absolutely destroyed some of the jokes beyond repair. It wasn't bad enough to put me out of watching more Shin-chan movies but next time I'm definitely gonna pick one of the movies with a good reputation instead.

Princess Arete - Definitely the best out of the recent movies I watched. Last year I watched the director's most recent movie In This Corner of the World (which is good as hell, everyone should check it out) and I only knew that this shared directors after the fact, but once I learned that I could definitely see the similarities. It's the sort of movie where if you like it the pacing is "deliberate" and if you don't it's "too slow". It's a feminist take on some familiar fantasy tropes (to be precise the princess is captured and imprisoned but unlike those stories there's no knight in shining armor that comes to save her, she's all on her own) and much like In This Corner of the World over the course of its slow pace it frequently communicates through visuals what many weaker anime would do through exposition. It's a movie that really deserves some more exposure, but I can understand why it hasn't gotten that in the west; visually it looks like a children's movie (with some fantastic designs that make me think they were trying to appeal to a western audience to some degree) but it's the sort of movie that a lot of children would be bored by. I'd recommend checking out In This Corner of the World first as it's definitely the better movie, but this was fine in its own right and it was fascinating to see just how much the director evolved in the years since.

List:
1. Short Peace
2. Book Girl
3. One-Million Year Trip: Bander Book
4. Crayon Shin-chan Movie 01: Action Kamen vs. Haigure Maou
5. Princess Arete

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have just watched Bungaku Shoujo, a movie about a man with stockholm syndrome and an abusive girlfriend. It's ok, I guess. I was on track to say it's a pretty bad movie but some stuff happens towards the end that kinda redeems it. Over the course of the film I started to dislike the main character more and more until around the 90% mark I really hated him. In the last 10% of the movie he starts making better decisions and my hatred started to subside, but I still kinda want to slap him. However, the supporting cast is really, really, good, especially the eponymous book girl.

As far as artsy stuff: the animation didn't seem particularly special, but the backgrounding was pretty good. The camera was perhaps too fond of dutch angles.

After thinking very hard, I've decided I need to be stern with films and not let the last few minutes of a movie wash away the sins of the rest of it. Therefore, I am giving this a 5/10.

List:
1. Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
3. Sailor Moon R The Movie
4. Bungaku Shoujo

So far I've been kinda disappointed with the movies I've seen in the visual department (besides Eva, which was gorgeous). Hopefully the next one will flex some high budget muscles.

e: ha, i guess srice also watched book girl while i was slowly typing this post

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Haha. I think I'm fine with the Book Girl train becoming a thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My research has imploded, I'm not holding myself to any challenge (or keeping up with any anime) for now :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i have now watched Napping Princess.

first of all, this movie is pretty. i'm glad i watched it just for the animation work because there are some amazing shots and backgrounds in this. there's one where the camera does a nearly 180 degree pan while also translating over about 50 meters of world space along a line, following a specific character as she runs past it, and the whole thing is incredibly fluid. there's also cool stuff like a shot of the ocean in the distance where you can see the water is shimmering in the sunlight.

now, the story in this movie is kinda strange. it's using autonomous cars to tell a story about the tension between the old and the new, but it's also got the classic hidden biological relationship thing going (think Johnny Tremain but Mr. Lyte isn't an rear end in a top hat). it also splits its narrative between two worlds, a real world and a fantasy dream world. at first, the dream world is presented as just that: the dreams of a little girl that take inspiration from reality, but nothing more. objects like her stuffed bear, the motorcycle in her father's garage, and people like her father all have doppelgangers in her dream. over the course of the film however, reality and fantasy start to blend together, and the events in the fantasy world begin to change the state of the real world. now, i think this is mostly well executed, except for the final dream sequence. this is a long sequence, and explaining everything that happens in it would both take too much time and be kinda spoilery, so i'm not going to go into a lot of detail. basically, i think that the way the final sequence impacts the real world's state doesn't really make sense. there's just too much that happens within that sequence, and so when it finally ends the real world has dramatically changed. i'm left wondering two things: what do all the observers who weren't present in the dream think they saw, and what were the meaning of certain objects (the robot, the colossus) in terms of the girl's mental state.

overall, i'd say this is a pretty good film. definitely worth a watch or two

List:
1. Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
3. Sailor Moon R The Movie
4. Bungaku Shoujo
5. Napping Princess

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm behind on my movie watchin' but I'm seeing Mazinger Z Infinity in the theater this weekend, will report back.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I watched the Go! Princess PreCure movie with a handful of other ADRTW goons.

It was cute and I like cure mermaid's character design. I don't really have much else to say about PreCure.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Movie 2/February: Love Live! The School Idol Movie

This is probably cheating but whatever, I just finished watching Love Live so I wanted to watch the movie. It reminded me that I can't be friends with people who dislike musicals.

I felt like the movie did a good job not feeling like just a long episode. The New York City trip was fun and the preparations for the last concert felt really sweet. Props to whoever they found to voice the Americans because that was significantly higher quality English than I expected. The whole movie felt like it was weirdly trying to get loopholes to the fact that the 3rd Years had already graduated, but I'm still glad it exists. It probably could have been better, but I had a great time with this movie. If I have one complaint, it's that A-RISE didn't stand on stage with μ's and sing a 12-person song together. Sunny Day Song felt like kind of a cop-out where it was just μ's doing their thing with a fuckton of back-up dancers. It was still good, tho.

Now I guess I gotta watch Sunshine.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i finished all the remaining ghibli films. man ocean waves was so bad. and kaguya should have been shorter. arriety was really pretty

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I finally watched Evangelion 3.33 you can (not) redo after having the blu-ray of it since like December. I'm probably the last person in the world to see it but that's ok. I loving loved everything about this movie. It felt like how I always remember Eva being, but also like a half hour into the movie I had to pause it for a second because I had the realization that I had no idea where they were going with any of this, and I loved every second of it. The opening sequence of fighting the angel in orbit was fantastic, and I had no idea that what Eva was missing the whole time was a cool sci-fi spaceship but I was totally stoked at the whole Wunder launch sequence and when it showed up again at the end. I felt bad for Shinji after finally being useful and cool at the end of the last movie & getting totally poo poo on in this one, and I felt bad for the new Rei clone that got poo poo on by Shinji the whole time. I hope 4.0 comes out within the next few decades, but if not at least Shin Godzilla was good.

VostokProgram posted:

big rip to kaworu, who was too gay for this earth

:same:

list:
1/24: Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman
2/24: Evangelion 3.0

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i got out of Mazinger Z Infinity: Sponsored by Nissan a bit ago. i'm not very familiar with the original series but the movie didn't feel impenetrable, though there are probably some aspects to the appeal i was missing. everything about the story and characters had like zero weight, so the attempts at engaging with themes or creating drama fell apart halfway. unfortunately the action didn't really make up for the lacking writing, mostly being 1v1000 fights where a Mazin spammed all its iconic moves to wipe out hundreds of enemies at once. between the special moves and obviously reusing enemy designs from the show, i can tell this stuff was meant to be fun for fans but it fell mostly flat for me. a few bits in each horde fight stood out for creative choreography, and the battle against Asura and Brocken was also a highlight, but overall it was disappointing. i suppose the last bit i have any comments on is the design work, which i thought was pretty good between both 2d and cg.

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also just got back from Mazinger Z Infinity and I had an absolute blast, but i'm exactly the sort of fan this was meant to service and i can see how it would not do much for anyone not familiar with the franchise. The plot was pretty standard (and was it just me or did they take some plot beats from Independence Day of all things?) but the action was pretty well done imo and i had a giant goofy grin every time they started yelling out attack names. I thought the cg looked pretty good on the big screen, which is nice because when I first saw the preview on youtube I thought it looked like poo poo. I wish Baron Ashura was in it more, because their lady half was voiced by Romi Park and she's the best. anyway, if toei wants to make more of these i'll go see 'em, that is all.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Ponyo, it was immaculately animated and lovingly paced and lulled me into a trance state. It had lots of cute little kid moments and some charmingly animated parts in the beginning but the story didn't really do much for me. Really pretty film and the depressed sea dad had a cool design. It's my third Miyazaki film and it only reinforces my impression that he's a technical wizard that can't reach into the depths of my soul and resonate with me.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Read Nausicaa it's the best thing he's done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I watched Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me this weekend, is that an anime movie? If not, then I gotta go back to the drawing board

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched Ponyo, it was immaculately animated and lovingly paced and lulled me into a trance state. It had lots of cute little kid moments and some charmingly animated parts in the beginning but the story didn't really do much for me. Really pretty film and the depressed sea dad had a cool design. It's my third Miyazaki film and it only reinforces my impression that he's a technical wizard that can't reach into the depths of my soul and resonate with me.
Spirited Away did the last bit perfectly for me, but also I was on a lot of acid at the time and I had seen it before so, not a universal experience