Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Strange Quark posted:

Book Girl is real funny as a bad movie but it loses its appeal on rewatches when you know every dumb twist that will happen.

For a good romance movie, watch Anthem of the Heart, op.

Nice, I'll watch this one tonight. Sappy romance is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Anthem of the Heart is a decent choice for a bittersweet love story. For something less bittersweet but still fantastic I'm gonna recommend Whisper of the Heart and The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. Whisper of the Heart is my favourite Ghibli movie and the main character's journey of self realization is very compelling. Night is Short is very visually interesting with great characters. Plus it's a Yuasa film which means I'm obligated to like it.

I watched a movie like 3 weeks ago and I can't remember what it was. Welp

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh right, I watched the Ghibli film Only Yesterday a few weeks ago to very slowly whittle away at my resolution of seeing all of them (It's not going to happen, kill me). At the very least I'll say that the film was interesting. However, I feel that I was very obviously not the target audience for the film and I could not relate to a lot of the events presented in the film. The target audience would have been "older" women at the time it was released in the early 90's remembering growing up in the 70's and 80's remembering the changing times of the world. Older is relative here because I believe the main character relating her past experiences in the movie is only in her late 20's and lol at that. As a piece of media though it is a very interesting look into something that is very foreign to me and I believe it was one of the last Ghibli movies to get an official release in the west but I'm not 100% certain. I would probably recommend it just because of how unique it is, especially for its time.

Apologies for grammar, I'm tired

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Strange Quark posted:

For a good romance movie, watch Anthem of the Heart, op.

Finally got around to watching this one. Maaan, that was a nice dose after Bungaku Shoujo. I knew I was going to be a fan of this one just a minute and 55 seconds in. It struck a great balance between realism and romanticism, which is absolutely necessary for a good bittersweet romance. It's not even just in the plot of the story, either. They make a point of having annoying, discordant sounds in many of the scenes, like a motorcycle driving noisily by, or the train signals being just as jarring and attention-grabbing as they are in real life. All these sounds of other lives, initially annoying and meaningless, eventually coming together in the finale to make a very nice song, is a beautiful way of reflecting the cast's individual journeys. While it doesn't cross into absolute genius, we'd be blessed if this was the watermark for basic competency. Very good!

littleorv posted:

For something less bittersweet but still fantastic I'm gonna recommend Whisper of the Heart and The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. Whisper of the Heart is my favourite Ghibli movie and the main character's journey of self realization is very compelling. Night is Short is very visually interesting with great characters. Plus it's a Yuasa film which means I'm obligated to like it.

Alright, looks like I've got the next two I'm gonna look at. I think Yuasa did Devilman Crybaby, and while I'm not expecting that, I really liked his expressive art style there a lot. I might do a double feature depending on how long these two are. Anime movies rule, thanks to this thread for getting me to start watching them!

e: In fact, I'm having a good enough time that I'm gonna try to do the 52 movie thing despite starting very late in the year. I think for more experienced movie watchers this would be a lot more difficult, but I've hardly tapped into even the most obvious choices. I've watched Perfect Blue and Paprika and some of those, but there's so much amazing stuff I haven't seen yet. It's probably going to be incredibly fun. It's so much easier for me to watch these than an entire series, and I'm a big fan of rewatching things, so this is a revolution for me.

klapman fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 18, 2018

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I watched Giovanni's Island the day after my Grandma was saying to me "did you know that the Soviet Union treated Germany worse than the German's treated them?". Why grandma? It's not a competition. Anyways, the movie is a good look at the SU occupation of the Kuril islands and the subsequent deportation of the Japanese people who lived there shortly after the end of the Second World War. There are a lot of allusions to the classic Japanese novel Night on the Intergalactic Railroad. I'm sure being familiar with that book would make it more enjoyable but I thought it was fine even though I'm unfamiliar with it. There's a lot of focus on family and living under occupation which I thought was really interesting. The cost of war etc. I would recommend this one simply because it focuses on such a little known part of history and it is very emotionally effective.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

List so far:
1. Book Girl
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale
4. Summer Wars
5. Ocean Waves
6. Tamako Love Story
7. Ninja Scroll
8. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
9. Only Yesterday
10. Giovanni's Island

This is more movies than I would usually watch in a year so good on you thread for encouraging me to seek out more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really recommend Giovanni's Island as a much more optimistic counterbalance to Grave of the Fireflies. I really liked the sense in the movie that even though many bad things happen, the new generation does not have to repeat the wrongs of the past.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
List according to memory

1. This Corner of the World
2. Koe no Katachi
3. Your Name
4. Bungaku Shoujo
5. Anthem of the Heart
6. Kimi no Koe
7. Paprika

I'm going through that list in the OP and finding a lot of great looking movies, but some of these are tough to find. I've had to really engage my 2007 memories of looking up original Japanese titles sometimes, and overall it's been a really fun bit of time travel in terms of going back to my childhood days of finding anime. I've got 8 movies already queued up and I'm halfway through the list!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Got a completely free day so I'm gonna fill it with booze and anime movies. I've got a ton of genres so burnout is unlikely, and I'll just keep editing this post with opinions about the movies I watch.

First one is going to be Whisper of the Heart on littleorv's rec.

- Really love the song in the middle of the movie. So far it's been nice and relaxing but that was particularly great.

- Feeling very anxious about the number of scenes of people running across roads and being wary of traffic. Is there one of those dolls that you hang up to ward off rain, but for trucks?

- Honestly, the amount of slightly worrying things in this movie seems to have a real point to it. There's almost constantly some kind of little danger present that I very rarely see in anything now. The characters constantly solve their little problems and help eachother out, reducing the risk left and right. It gives the film a lot of life!

Alright, fully done watching it now. Really good movie. The part where Shizuku's waiting for her writing to be read by Seiji's granddad drew me in in a way that I haven't felt in years. Slowly watching the train and the cars go by, then the shot of the airplane in the skies... It's rare for me to be brought in so fully by a scene, but it was perfect.

The next one's going to be A Penguin's Memories, I think.

e: Alright, just finished watching it. Had around 5 shots for this one due to the fact that it's a pretty tough movie to get through at points. Not in a bad way, just that the subject matter is pretty heavy.

This was definitely a movie that was made to send a message to complacent people. I read on the list in the OP that it was done by a company whose animation department got huge by making cute penguin commercials, and then made this. I don't think this is a wacky, crazy decision. A little heavy handed maybe, but I can understand the kind of frustration that would lead someone to make a movie like this in such a situation.

I think that the dehumanization of all the characters in this movie exists for a particular purpose. That purpose is to allow us to more easily detach ourselves from the superficial elements of war stories, such as the dashing hero, the beautiful heroine, the corrupt villains, etc. It makes appearances almost completely irrelevant except for the purpose of telling characters apart. This lends the story a very different air from other "man returns home from war" romances, despite having many of the same plot beats. I might not be giving it credit given that I've seen a lot of these, it might have been very down to earth and realistic for its time, and if so then I apologize.

That was a heavy watch. I don't feel up for a completely lighthearted movie, so next up is Hells.

e2: I misunderstood completely. But it looks cool, so it's fine.

Finished it. I just saw all the storyboards for a super fast paced 24 episode anime in about two hours, and honestly it worked pretty well. I think the story's more interesting this way than if it took a huge amount of time to get everything across. I even got a little bit emotional at the end. I probably won't rewatch it any time soon, but it was really enjoyable as a spectacle sorta thing. Not much else to say about it, if the storyboard description piqued your interest, you'll probably like it. I've got enough time to watch one more fairly long movie, so uhhhh

Children Who Chase Lost Voices, I suppose.

lol shout out to whoever decided that huge yellow subtitles would be a good thing to put this movie to. like putting truck nuts on a porsche, ffs

klapman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 9, 2018

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I've been watching movies and not posting about them. I'm a bad man. But I have been keeping to one new film a month, so yay for that.

5. Mind Game: that sure is a movie. I can see why people like it but it didn't appeal much to me. Too much weird stuff in the second half, and the beginning (prior to the whole death thing) I found kind of gross and unpleasant to watch. The car chase was the only part I really enjoyed, but that was great.

6. Haikara-san, part 1: cute romantic movie. I'm not a huge fan of romances but the lead couple is charming, and Saori Hayami is always good. It's pretty funny, too, especially drunk Benio. Towards the end it seemed like they were stuffing too much in, though; the plot points start going by oddly quickly. Also the screening I went to at a real movie theater just played a Blu-Ray, wtf.

7. Maquia: really great, but I may just be a sucker for overly emotional stuff like this. Beyond its dramatic qualities, it actually sets up an interesting fantasy setting and it looks very nice as well. If I have any criticisms, they're that the plot with the other elves seemed less fleshed out than I would have liked and there are like three points where I thought the movie was about to end but it didn't, which irritates me. The actual ending is incredibly :gbsmith:.

8. The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl: lots of fun, but not as much substance as I'd hoped for a Tatami Galaxy-related film. TG has some excellent themes connecting all of its stories whereas I didn't pick up on anything similar in TNISWOG. That's more of a problem with my expectations than with the actual movie, though. The stories are really fun, taking place in the same surreal Kyoto as TG and featuring similar art. The third arc was probably my favorite, partly because of the musical numbers.

The titular girl carries the show, which is fine because she's great. Unfortunately the other lead character (a guy with a crush on her) isn't nearly as good. He's not terrible, but he doesn't do much to make him seem like a good romantic interest for her and has little personality aside from his crush. Most of the side characters are better. I also found the dreary fourth arc kind of disappointing compared to the other three.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

19 is the ova/movie Eiji. its about boxing/punk music. mostly notable in that it has several character types totally extinct from modern anime like punk (girls), mcs that actually try to get laid and the noble volcel. otherwise i don't think it really succeeds at what its trying to do and its not long enough to tell a complete story. animation is poor, although they cleverly mask the lack of it with dramatic use of colour filters and enough flashing bright lights to kill even the strongest epileptic

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
are there any good old anime with punk girls, horny mcs and volcels

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

are there any good old anime with punk girls, horny mcs and volcels

The anime based on your life

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
drat, i'm all three of those

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know about movies, but maybe Golden Time?

It has Punk girls

Volcels

And... sorta horny MC's?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
First picture there reminds me that Nana is still on hiatus. Almost the 10 year anniversary too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. :(

I loved Nana for so many years and it loving broke my heart that it went on hiatus. I just hope Doņa Yazawa is doing better.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

greetings im back again with a 5 in 1 for number 20. MAL counts this as 5 different anime, but i won't. its short peace! none of the aforementioned dead character types in it. what is in here are firefighters, demons, bears, real robots and soldiers. its made up of 5 different shorts. the first one is the standard animation showcase all anthologies get, utterly forgettable and nothing special visual wise. after that you get a cgi short about a samurai/handyman. this one looked pretty good and was charming, but the cgi guy did not fit in at all with the gorgeous 2d backgrounds, so any time it showed his feet it was incredibly distracting.

short 3 was about fire. had a real nice visual style to it, but was really forgettable outside of that. number 4 was about the most classic of battles, bear vs oni. some nice brutal gore in this story that harks back to more classical demon tales rather than the sanitized stuff. the bear vs demon battle is ok, but really there's not all that much to this one. bear looks better than the recent terrible bear in golden kamui though! last but not least was the big centrepiece short that's about soldiers vs mechs. looks great, feels very western (its title, a farewell to arms is no coincidence). has a good bit of brutality to it. an enjoyable watch, but like all of them not a very deep story. easily the best of the lot though

here's some screenshots

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
1. In This Corner of the World
2. Koe no Katachi
3. Your Name
4. Bungaku Shoujo
5. Anthem of the Heart
6. Kimi no Koe
7. Paprika
8. Whisper of the Heart
9. A Penguin's Memories
10. Hells
11. Children Who Chase Lost Voices
12. Colorful
13. King of Thorn
14. Nasu - Summer in Andalusia
15. Natsu e no Tobira (The Door Into Summer)
16. Wolf Children

Children Who Chase Lost Voices was alright. It becomes a very different movie from what I expected around 20 minutes in, but other than that it didn't leave much of an impression. It was a pretty standard story about getting over death, but personally I felt the heroine's motivation was fairly weak. It set up two reasons for her to go, her dad and also the death of a guy she met exactly once, and it really feels like the former motivation should have come into play more later on. Since it didn't, the whole thing feels like it's barely more relevant than a whim on her end. We also don't get to see the mom's reaction to her kid being gone for a couple of months, which is a missed opportunity. They could have really tied it up at the end by having her mom think she was dead, and then a tearful reunion, they're both crying because they've lost people they love, etc. An alright movie, but not one I'll be returning to any time soon.

I liked Colorful pretty well, though! It's a slow and thoughtful movie, and the protagonist's journey goes through some real dark valleys, so I was an easy mark for something like this. I'll have to watch it again sometime, this time without being drunk.

This time I'm in a particular mood, so I googled "dark anime movies" and now I'm gonna watch King of Thorn. I haven't heard anything about this in my life, so hopefully it's a hidden gem of some sort. If it's another Bungaku Shoujo, that'll work too.

Lol that loving rules. After fifteen minutes of setup the entire movie just goes batshit until the end and it's a very entertaining ride imo. VERY good time with this one!

Nasu - Summer in Andalusia was a really nice change of pace. A real world setting, an interesting sport I've never paid attention to before (biking), and a refreshingly short runtime. It tells a good story in less than 45 minutes, and can't afford to waste even a minute. It's cool that they manage to give a real sense of history and depth to characters we hardly even see, that's what really made this such a fun watch.

The Door Into Summer was an odd movie, but interesting. The pacing is extremely languid and easy, which would have been frustrating if it was longer than an hour, but as is it manages to really nail how summer feels when you're a kid. It's an extremely sex-positive movie without being perverted, and while the gay guy dies, it's portrayed as the protagonist's failure to accept his love rather than as a love that could never be. I'm very uneducated when it comes to queer readings, but this one seems more genuinely positive than most anime, especially given the era.

Wolf Children was a real treat. Such a cute movie. The only issue I have with it is that the ending is missing just a liittle bit of closure on the Shino end of things. He's a minor character, sure, but he's set up to have family drama, the movie spends a fair amount of time on it, but it doesn't really go anywhere. He says he's gonna go out and become a boxer or a wrestler, and that's definitely going with the theme of children becoming independent and growing up, but a little more real-plot finality on that bit would have gone a long way. Easily in my top 3 of the movies I've watched for this challenge.

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I watched that Fate Heaven's Feel movie. My only previous exposure to the franchise was Fate Zero so I was expecting lots more fun fights and characters.

Man, that was a bummer. You get one sequence, Lancer fighting Assassin, where it feels like the you can see the money burn on-screen. But every other bit is characters doing things for opaque reasons, and huge sections of the story skipped by in the opening credits so it's completely incomprehensible to someone who hasn't spent the 60 hours playing through the visual novel.

It's also incomplete as it's part of a trilogy but at a 2 hour run-time and only 10-15 minutes of enjoyable action I don't think I'll be returning for the sequels. I'll just watch the fights on youtube sometime later.

Also why is Rider a girl with chains as opposed to someone who, y'know, rides something. Like a horse, like the guy did in Fate Zero. Why is Archer a guy with swords? What is going on?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 2, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ccs posted:

So I watched that Fate Heaven's Feel movie. My only previous exposure to the franchise was Fate Zero so I was expecting lots more fun fights and characters.

Man, that was a bummer. You get one sequence, Lancer fighting Assassin, where it feels like the you can see the money burn on-screen. But every other bit is characters doing things for opaque reasons, and huge sections of the story skipped by in the opening credits so it's completely incomprehensible to someone who hasn't spent the 60 hours playing through the visual novel.

It's also incomplete as it's part of a trilogy but at a 2 hour run-time and only 10-15 minutes of enjoyable action I don't think I'll be returning for the sequels. I'll just watch the fights on youtube sometime later.

Also why is Rider a girl with chains as opposed to someone who, y'know, rides something. Like a horse, like the guy did in Fate Zero. Why is Archer a guy with swords? What is going on?

i feel like you answered your own questions at the beginning of your post. if unlimited blade works is kind of awkward to jump into without knowing the fate route, heaven's feel is entirely built on the assumption that you know ubw to the point there's no possible way they could change the movies to accommodate that

your question about archer in particular is, uh, the entire focus, of ubw

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 2, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah you'd think a movie that's the first of a trilogy would make some attempt to be accessible though but I guess they're just banking on getting the fans money and don't need the uninitiated.

But I wouldn't have minded being confused if there were more cool fights. Instead it was a lot of pretty backgrounds and long drawn out conversations with cliche characters. Meh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ccs posted:

Yeah you'd think a movie that's the first of a trilogy would make some attempt to be accessible though but I guess they're just banking on getting the fans money and don't need the uninitiated.

But I wouldn't have minded being confused if there were more cool fights. Instead it was a lot of pretty backgrounds and long drawn out conversations with cliche characters. Meh.

it's a movie trilogy adaptation of a story arc that's 20 hours long and assumes you've seen the previous two story arcs. there's literally no way they could make it more accessible, they can barely fit the arc into a movie trilogy as is. it's also an arc that's entirely built on subverting things built up by the previous two story arcs, so.

you really, shouldn't be looking to heaven's feel for cool fights, because it's an entire arc built on emotional weight and ominous build-up. there are really cool fights at the end, but, they're cool because of the emotional payoff they give, more than for how "cool" they are

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 2, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fwiw a good chunk of the opening isn't skipping stuff from the novel but quickly sketching in the background of some character relationships beyond what it presented

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Howl's Moving Castle recently. It's very pretty but it's never really coherent and never follows through on its ideas. I've honestly forgotten a lot about it and I watched it two days ago. It's cool that the main character was an old woman for 98% of the runtime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I need to watch 7 more movies before the end of the year to beat my challenge. Not looking good for me!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You take suggestions? What have you seen? What would you like to see (vibe, author, etc)?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You take suggestions? What have you seen? What would you like to see (vibe, author, etc)?

The limits of my challenge say that I need to watch 8 movies that I already have downloaded before I made the post and 4 out of my 5 movies aren't that, so I'm pretty limited in my choice here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, ok then. Best of luck, at any rate!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched Howl's Moving Castle recently. It's very pretty but it's never really coherent and never follows through on its ideas. I've honestly forgotten a lot about it and I watched it two days ago. It's cool that the main character was an old woman for 98% of the runtime.

It's the most bleh Miyazaki movie I've seen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

It's the most bleh Miyazaki movie I've seen.

That was Ponyo for me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That was Ponyo for me

Ponyo had cooler imagery and looked a little better I thought

How's castle itself looks bad and there's a lot of weird panning where the screen kind of compresses, it's hard to explain but it looked real bad. Ponyo was pretty consistent so I liked it more

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That was Ponyo for me

I like fish so ponyo was alright with me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, absolutely gorgeous movie. The writing was a bit thin but a lot of the story could be understood through the visuals because Yoshiaki Kawajiri is excellent at his job. You could tell how much Meyerling and Charlotte cared about each other from their body language and the way they held each other. Lots of cool little details all around, I like one split second shot where you see D in a mirror and because he's a half vampire he's sort of transparent like a ghost. The castle at the end was absolutely beautiful too, basically you have to watch this movie because it's probably one of the best looking anime ever made. Big gothic mood for October and any other time of year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, absolutely gorgeous movie. The writing was a bit thin but a lot of the story could be understood through the visuals because Yoshiaki Kawajiri is excellent at his job. You could tell how much Meyerling and Charlotte cared about each other from their body language and the way they held each other. Lots of cool little details all around, I like one split second shot where you see D in a mirror and because he's a half vampire he's sort of transparent like a ghost. The castle at the end was absolutely beautiful too, basically you have to watch this movie because it's probably one of the best looking anime ever made. Big gothic mood for October and any other time of year.

it seems like there was a boom of high budget movies with exceptional animation around that time. lots of classics from that era. not sure what caused it (reaction to akira? new technology?) or why it was fairly short-lived*

*it's possible i have very little idea about what i'm talking about, and it wasn't an actual trend

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I love that movie. I also really enjoyed the Highlander movie in the same style. Those drawings are so absurdly complicated it's a miracle those designs were ever animated. After being on that movie I wonder if the animators found drawing every other show they were on a breeze.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

21, another anthology. neo tokyo. i only really enjoyed the introduction short of this, tho i can't deny they all look nice. well outside of all the repeat flashing lights and then sudden shifts to total darkness. real eyestrainer

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i watched One Piece Film Gold

for some reason i have a problem with appropriately adjusting my expectations when going into a WSJ film, so this one ended up disappointing. visually i have no complaints, the animation is lively and interesting beyond anything i ever expected out of One Piece and the cg is used pretty well.

the real sticking point for me, other than the movie being bloated, is the total lack of any hook or standout characters. the plot is immediately obvious and while Tesoro and his lackeys have some charm, none of it really bears out. Nami gets a movie-only friend but none of this results in any significant focus for Nami or filling in of her character, and the new character is just her but slightly more competent. in the final third of the movie you finally get the barest of context for Tesoro's life and motivation as a villain...except they don't bother to connect his past to any specific goals he has or things he's done. it's easy to make your own connections between his past traumas and current self, but then the movie swerves entirely away from anything resembling that and Tesoro ends the movie screaming about becoming a god?

i didn't regret watching this but if it had been about 1/3 shorter it probably would've been a much better experience overall.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i watched The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa except hosed up and watched the ending half first. oops.

so my experience of the thing is kinda weird, since i thought it was a big in-media-res thing about Goemon having gotten beat down by another merc, Hawk, and then training to overtake him. they drop hints that there should be some larger force at work behind Hawk's presence but this doesn't pan out. going back to the first half lays out the whole situation with Zenigata pursuing Hawk as he's hired to kill Lupin and co, Goemon being on bodyguard duty, and Lupin/Jigen/Fujiko stealing from yakuza that have employed Goemon.

well uh anyway, the whole thing comes from the line of TWCFM and Gravestone of Jigen Daisuke so it's that darker and wilder tone of Lupin i like since it's fairly rare. the character designs really stood out to me, there's a lot of variety in face/head shapes just between normal looking people up to some of the more grotesque yakuza guys. Lupin and Jigen have always been a bit weird to me in this style and Zenigata is almost unrecognizable but everyone else is great. the animation is top notch throughout, shining especially when it comes to Goemon's "transcendence" against the yakuza, Hawk's slow pursuit of Lupin/Jigen. and Goemon's final confrontation with him. their final fight reaches a level of clinical brutality i don't think i've seen before, with both of them having their bodies shorn perfectly by axe or sword to reveal detailed cross sections of of skin, fat, muscle, and bone. while Goemon generally doesn't offer much character meat, i do like that this movie uses a version of him that is antagonistic to Lupin and also goes all in on his adherence to warrior spirituality.

i guess to revisit my earlier mistake, this movie feels a bit sparse and a lot of the material in the first half didn't seem like, super integral. Zenigata's pursuit of Hawk and his attack on Lupin and co that is interrupted by Goemon are both good bits, but pretty much everything with the gambling ship heist before that feels anemic compared to the action heights reached in the second half. i also really had hoped for more material out of the movie, since they point to a higher force being behind Hawk's pursuit of Lupin and co, but after Goemon takes him down the movie ends. with a runtime of only 50 or so minutes i feel like it could've used another half hour to do a bit more, though Gravestone was similarly short. i'd definitely recommend this based on spectacle alone but it's also nice as a tie in to the TWCFM side of Lupin even if the Goemon focus makes it more samurai film than heist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I have fallen behind considerably. Moving to another country for three months then showing your newly wedded wife around America for two months kinda distracts you from watching anime. Got a few though (several months ago and haven't logged in to post about them):

Night is Short, Walk on Girl
Yuasa knocks it out again. I found my enjoyment very much improved by previous knowledge of Tatami Galaxy but I think if you haven't seen it you'd still find this an easy movie to love. The main girl (it was months ago i can't remember names) was one of the most likable characters i've seen in a long time. I'd probably have more to say if this was fresher in my mind but I heartily recommend it for sure.

Paprika
Wow this was pretty. I've been spoiled by only watching the prettiest anime recently and this definitely continues that trend. I really loved the dream logic of it and had a fun time with the plot. "Actually everything sucks. Goodbye." became the running joke with the wheelchair guy showing up and doing that like 3 or 4 times.

List:
1. 5 cm per Second
2. Love Live! School Idol Movie!
3. Cyborg 009 vs Devilman
4. Night is Short, Walk on Girl
5. Paprika
6. Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower

oh no i have 7 6 more to go and only a month to do it

e: whoops forgot one

Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower
This movie felt like a fanfiction. It brought back Daryl and Io but did nothing interesting with them. It simply used them as recognizable returning characters and introduced a new lady pilot who honestly felt like a self-insert fanfiction from 2008. "Don't underestimate me because I'm a woman! I can hang with the boys! Also I play jazz so Io and I bond right away over our shared interest!" I did not enjoy this movie and I might not even watch the conclusion of the trilogy.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 20, 2018