Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ill watch some movies. 1. today i watched taiwanese anime movie point of return. it was really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 2: colorful. mostly looked nice, and i liked that most of the kids looked like actual ugly kids. the part i enjoyed the most was the unashamedly sentimental arc with the train (railway?) otaku friend. unfortunately that also had a whole lot of cheap backgrounds that were just photos which rather overdid it. the movie had a strong start writing wise but the plot tried to do too much, and didn't really succeed at anything and the final resolution was lame. it mostly just stuck to a variety of suburban melodrama that's been done a thousand times before and with a premise of reincarnation i had hoped for something more interesting. i did enjoy that the kid was a lil dick tho, several of the moments that went for drama had me laughing instead cause of his behaviour. that said the ugly girl was a truly pitiable character. so a 5

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 3: haguregumo. i guess some 'anime personality' mentioned this recently? cause i suddenly saw mentions of it pop up around. well doesn't really matter. this movie is from 82, and is based on a seinen manga that started in 73 and is still running. its a pleasantly oldschool sort of thing, that would star bill murray at his slackerest if it was a western movie. the 'hero' of the movie, while occasionally forced into a swordfight, really isn't interested in that sort of thing. he prefers lazing around and getting with every woman in town. outside of that he gives the sort of hard handed fatherly love to his kids that would get child protective services called on him asap nowadays. still, the upbeat soundtrack and the tom and jerry esque way it goes makes it fun enough to watch. as a whole its a nice bawdy family comedy. there's a moment where it radically changes visual style that feels very familiar and while i can't place who did it, it does make me curious. i would rec this to anyone who likes the sort of thing orphan subs puts out

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 4: Arcadia of my Youth. a hub for the leijiverse which once ruled anime in both the east and the west, this massive 2 hour movie attempts to give an origin to the leijiverse. thus it incorporates parts of many of the various matsumoto series such as the cockpit, captain harlock, queen emeraldas, yamato and the galaxy express. despite its status as an origin movie, there's a lot in here that only an experienced leiji watcher would notice or care for. on the other hand, large parts of it directly contradict the very franchises it gives an origin to.

its length and pacing can also make it a tough watch. still its one i mostly enjoyed. all the various pet themes of matsumoto are on display here, a strong sense of individualism, the unique bond between warriors/soldiers, the eternal and powerful will men crushed beneath the feat of those more powerful than them display when resisting and so on. harlock had been the only major matsumoto franchise i had seen nor read anything off, so i can cross that off now as well. onto the next and someone please post some other interesting movies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 5: gdgd Fairies Movie: tte Iu Eiga wa Dou kana...? long have i suffered, having been unable to watch the movie followup to the masterpiece comedy series that is gdgd fairies. lesser series have been subbed by 50 different subbing teams while this has laid unsubbed for 4 years. TODAY my suffering ended. in this epic adlibbed journey our heroes find out what truly matters in life, friendship. a wise lesson that anime has thus far refused to tell us. in this they get assisted by the members of idol group 'denpagumi.inc', kenshiro from fotns, a shoujo i dont recognize and a whole bunch of others. featuring epic cgi action scenes never seen before in anime, a thrilling story, tearful sacrifices and a hippo. this is one movie you can not miss, out in cinemas september 2014!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 6: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters : bad writing, direction reminiscent of a ps1 fmv cutscene, terrible cgi visuals and the art design of an xbox1 halo make this a pass for anyone who doesn't jack off to godzilla

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 7, still winning this race: What's Micheal 2: the beloved micheal returns for his second movie. in this chapter the skits parody baseball, wrestling, husband-wife relationships and the movie 'the fugitive'. i found the first ova a bit more entertaining, it had shorter skits that had a bit better tempo to it but there's a few very charming skits in here. anything dealing with micheals family situation is both amusing and rare in anime. its lowpoint is the 3 part the fugitive parody, which besides the innate weirdness of the parody really only has one joke.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 8: miss hokusai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwic9kFx2c
paintings are probably the art form that most benefits from being seen in real life. pictures never manage to capture the texture, nor the 3 dimensionality of them. miss hokusai fails the same way, perhaps inevitably so as an anime. while i appreciate the fun animation sequences they build around the paintings, ultimately none of them manage to capture them in a way that can compare to the real thing. outside of that, the best sequences all involve the various yokai and the movie's decent sense of humor. miss hokusai herself is also a fairly charming character. the movie as a whole largely takes the form as an episodic slice of life story, and in some ways that is its undoing. it never manages to give the characters much depth, and it wastes a lot of time on a story line featuring a blind little sister that never goes anywhere interesting. also for a movie about art there is some absolutely hideous cg, especially during various sequences where they want to do a little animation showoff by spinning the camera around quickly moving characters, which are then made moot by all the distracting cgi buildings in the background.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all 3 of his movies are awful so im inclined to think sci fi readers just have no taste

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 9: Ghost in the Shell (2015): speaking of bad sci fi, here's one. capping off the arise series that ranges from mediocre to bad this movie is also a huge waste of time. theres not a single thing in it that hasn't been done better before in the series and every bit of philosophy is as shallow as could be. however the worst part of it are the character designs, which with the exception of the major (who just had a terrible personality downgrade) are awful. particular lowpoints are aramaki and this guy

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 10: Ihatov Gensou: Kenji no Haru: even if you haven't heard of kenji miyazawa, if you have watched a decent amount of anime you have probably seen something directly inspired by him. well this movie is a biography of sorts of the man. which also makes it a nice contrast to miss hokusai as this succeeds in a lot of ways where that doesn't. a great variety of great looking art styles get used to both portray a glimpse of kenji's life and his works. sadly enough however this also includes cgi, which as you might expect from its age isn't great. its a rather smart movie , doesn't spell everything out like most do. all in all i greatly enjoyed it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i did actually watch that a long time ago, but didn't really care for it at the time. might be differen't now, who knows

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

11: Mitsuwano (Three Rings). this one is about 3 apprentice maikos. does about nothing with the concept. story is a bunch of nothing, animation is near absent and nobody even gets hosed, worthless

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

12: this bump is dedicated to srice

yamato 2202, movie 4 (first half): they only subbed the first half so far so thats all i watched. the first half... of the first half, so the first quarter was a bit weak. it was a repeat scenario, something they even acknowledge, and way too filled with technobabble. some ugly cgi too. the second half was better. the op finally got lyrics, thank god

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

13 this one goes out to isao takahata

panda kopanda (both movies): this pre-ghibli feature was a rework of the famously failed pipi longstocking venture and it shows. its heroine, mimiko both looks and acts like her with her many handstands. the titular panda on the other hand is a clear totoro prototype, sharing both his looks and mannerisms. a fair amount of its scenes also found their way in other ghibli features. numerous western influences are clearly visible, a lot of them disney but also others (goldlocks, tigger, dumbo and more). its a pleasant watch that still looks great but its writing outside of the gags is standard kids movie stuff, so a bit dull when its not doing jokes.

can you spot the cameos?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looks weird

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

then die by my sword

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

14 is another isao takahata feature, gauche the cellist. i don't have much to say about this one. its a short movie about music

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are they at least anime related

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

bumped up my count to 17 with 3 movies

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

18: flavors of youth was dull and devoid of artistic merit

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

19 is the ova/movie Eiji. its about boxing/punk music. mostly notable in that it has several character types totally extinct from modern anime like punk (girls), mcs that actually try to get laid and the noble volcel. otherwise i don't think it really succeeds at what its trying to do and its not long enough to tell a complete story. animation is poor, although they cleverly mask the lack of it with dramatic use of colour filters and enough flashing bright lights to kill even the strongest epileptic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

greetings im back again with a 5 in 1 for number 20. MAL counts this as 5 different anime, but i won't. its short peace! none of the aforementioned dead character types in it. what is in here are firefighters, demons, bears, real robots and soldiers. its made up of 5 different shorts. the first one is the standard animation showcase all anthologies get, utterly forgettable and nothing special visual wise. after that you get a cgi short about a samurai/handyman. this one looked pretty good and was charming, but the cgi guy did not fit in at all with the gorgeous 2d backgrounds, so any time it showed his feet it was incredibly distracting.

short 3 was about fire. had a real nice visual style to it, but was really forgettable outside of that. number 4 was about the most classic of battles, bear vs oni. some nice brutal gore in this story that harks back to more classical demon tales rather than the sanitized stuff. the bear vs demon battle is ok, but really there's not all that much to this one. bear looks better than the recent terrible bear in golden kamui though! last but not least was the big centrepiece short that's about soldiers vs mechs. looks great, feels very western (its title, a farewell to arms is no coincidence). has a good bit of brutality to it. an enjoyable watch, but like all of them not a very deep story. easily the best of the lot though

here's some screenshots

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

21, another anthology. neo tokyo. i only really enjoyed the introduction short of this, tho i can't deny they all look nice. well outside of all the repeat flashing lights and then sudden shifts to total darkness. real eyestrainer

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

22 is nora. 1 hour ova about what i suppose comes closest to the western concept of a manic pixie dream girl teaching 2 old professors and skynet what love, fun and all that is to prevent the apocalypse. mediocre and not worth watching unless you really love random shouting and laughing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

23, there's been a lot of movies that have copied ghibli, and in origin - spirits of the past, gonzo mashes up castle in the sky and nausicaa. its far from being as well written though and the environmentalism message is shallow and not well thought out. the mc's constant screaming of toola gave me ptsd flashbacks of heavy rain. visually its mostly good, character designs and backgrounds are obviously ghibli inspired and look good and there's some very nice animation (most of it in the first half), but there's some godawful cgi in it for the tree monsters. the sound mixing is really badly done as well, which got quite annoying as the movie went on. but really its main problem is the idiotic story

heres some screenshots

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

24: the mildly interesting story in this is sabotaged by terrible directing (shakycam and blur in anime gross), ugly cgi and uninspired artwork that make it a chore to watch

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im sorry i spontaneously got the flu while typing

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I have to watch 6 movies before the end of the year to complete my challenge. Wish me luck

good luck

25: i remembered to put down the name this time. Dragon's Heaven. gorgeous designs, ok animation, nothing to really engage with story or character wise. i'd rather just look at one of makoto kobayashi's artbooks, and luckily i've seen plenty

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

26: the year is almost over but here is 1 more ' Fireworks, Should We See It from the Side or the Bottom? '. rather bad adaptation from shaft. all the obvious shaftisms and the generic anime poo poo ruins the original story. the additions are all ill-fitting and you're better of just watching the original or any other live action shunji iwai. no idea why shaft even wanted to do this when they struggle to make any character that resembles a human being, as iwai's strength lies in his bleak and realistic portrayal of the hellish world of japanese teens. watch all about lily chou-chou, the original, or the recent excellent a bride for rip van winkle instead (tho thats about adults!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

made a sequel thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879962
please enjoy!