Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Children Who Chase Lost Voices is really only worth watching to round out Shinkai's filmography.

I might as well join in. I haven't watched a lot of movies, so throw me suggestions. My main goal would be to finish all of Miyazaki, especially the earlier stuff, and Satoshi Kon.

I've seen the Evangelion Rebuild movies, Redline, Dead Leaves, all of Hosoda except Kemono No Ko, all of Shinkai, and Madoka Magica Rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I actually don't like Shinkai that much so I was hoping I might like it better lol

As a fellow Shinkai disliker, the best I can say about it is that it does not have a Shinkai-esque story. It seemed to be his attempt at a Miyazaki.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I finally finished all of the Mamoru Hosoda original filmography by watching The Boy and the Beast. This movie turned out to have far more complexity and depth than I thought it would. I thought this would be an action oriented sports-ish coming of age story. Instead, it turned out to be a wonderful and heartfelt reflection on family. Knowing Hosoda's work so far, I really should have expected it. That said, this is an absolutely entertaining movie with great characters and great drama. The few fight scenes in the movie are all fun to watch, but it's obvious that the action scenes aren't the point of the movie. Overall it's not my favorite Hosoda movie - that's still Wolf Children - but it is definitely one of his better ones.

Time to wait for his next movie.

List:
The Boy and the Beast

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xinder posted:

but...Your Name was legitimately good???

Your Name is the culmination of Shinkai's efforts to find the least poo poo context with with to tell the same story he's been trying to tell since Voices of a Distant Star and finally succeeding by giving up trying to be clever and just dousing the entire thing in melodrama.

With the exception of that one Miyazaki-like fantasy thing. That was bad on it's own merits.