Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

UFC 221 card...

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Memento posted:

we're so bad at wrestling

I was in high school when we won the 2000 olympics, and the government started throwing money at a bunch of sports that we traditionally weren't competitive in, as if ~5 years would have been enough time to be anywhere near countries that had been doing it forever. My school got funds for handball and wrestling. We hired a high school wrestling coach from America, and I did it for a couple of years but no one ever thought we'd get anything out of it. The teacher was like "you can't just take athletic 14-16 year olds and expect them to be able to wrestle with people of the same age who have been doing it since they were 6". It was fun, and I made the State championships (lost in the second round) but we were kidding ourselves. Literally any high school wrestler from the US who had been doing it their entire school life would have breezed through every single person in my division. I weighed 81kg at the time so I competed in the 85kg bracket, instead of not eating or drinking for half a day and going to the 80kg bracket.

I think the only thing Australia got out of that program was the tkd gold medal won by Lauren Burns - she had been doing it since she was a kid, and the funding allowed her to take a year off everything leading up to the games to focus on her training.

Speaking of which...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/ro...ac92fddd7a6a915

quote:

November 26 2017
UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker has qualified to represent Australia in wrestling at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Whittaker earned the right to fight for a gold medal in April by winning at the Australian wrestling trials on Saturday. That followed his win at the Australian Wrestling Championships in May in the 97 kilogram division.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

What's the lowest selling UFC PPV in recent memory?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Emmett took the fight on short notice I think, which might explain missing weight a bit.

Speaking of which, what time are the early weigh-ins for UFC 220?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Omnikin posted:

I'm going to call him stupid for not letting it ride through Game 7

edit - 220 weigh-ins are live https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/19/16907536/ufc-220-weigh-in-video

Just Ngannou and Cormier to weigh in

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Ngannou makes weight, just DC left. DC has 45mins

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

DC makes weight!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Russians love Dagestanis and will absolutely spend a lot of money to watch one

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012