Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

tools people need to do actual work and everything which touches a database (i.e. every cloud and web thing) is going to be slower, but never fear, the video games are fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
will this affect my blast processing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

will this affect my blast processing

why don't you process this blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The_Franz posted:

tools people need to do actual work and everything which touches a database (i.e. every cloud and web thing) is going to be slower, but never fear, the video games are fine

good, cloud and web apps are dumb

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
as an end user is it another thing you defeat by not clicking on random attachments and disabling all js by default ?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

this intel thing has been known about for quite some time, it just finally hit the news cycle, or someone has successfully leveraged it in the wild.

Breaking Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization with Intel TSX, Blackhat USA, 2016

movax
Aug 30, 2008

orange juche posted:

this intel thing has been known about for quite some time, it just finally hit the news cycle, or someone has successfully leveraged it in the wild.

Breaking Kernel Address Space Layout Randomization with Intel TSX, Blackhat USA, 2016

bingo on the second one

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Great, another perf hit was just what my poor little ultrabook needed when compiling C++ projects :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fortunately, i found a dec alpha multia at work last saturday. i'm secure, and with no performance impact

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

does anyone know if this affects newer xeons as well, or do they not have the same issue?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

tk posted:

Oh, good, so just literally everything that I work on.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

until you save it to disk :unsmigghh:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

orange juche posted:

they disabled tsx a long time ago

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i can't wait for my $20 check in the mail

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

hifi posted:

i can't wait for my $20 check in the mail

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i bought an intel processor and a loaf of bread so my mailbox is gonna be a fuckin payday

also lomarf i got a new board & chip this weekend and i took the 8700k instead of a ryzen 1800x :negative:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Raere posted:

im betting on risc v

sounds risky

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol I bet this is going to turbofuck a bunch of IPS platforms as well

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/

der plural auf anekdoten nicht ist data, etc etc :rolldice:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yes, things that spend 99.9% of their time doing computations in user space are going to be unaffected. great job everyone.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx

Intel CEO sold a poo poo ton of stock on11/29.... JAIL TIME!

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

yes, things that spend 99.9% of their time doing computations in user space are going to be unaffected. great job everyone.

i thought file io needed a syscall

quote:

But there is still a bigger rash to be seen. On a second SSD in the system in the form of a Samsung 960 Pro in M.2 storage space, the CrystalDiskMark shows a difference of almost seven percent in two out of eight calculated values ​​(screenshot), with another two to four percent behind. This is consistent with the database benchmarks linked above.

legitimately asking, what sorts of things other than databasey stuff would beat us to death with context switches

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

owning some amd stock feels great right now

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

legitimately asking, what sorts of things other than databasey stuff would beat us to death with context switches

it does, but things like games and file compression utilities tend to read and write large chunks of data with fewer io calls and spend most of their time doing operations on that data

the other big area which takes a hit is heavy compilation workloads which spawn lots of processes, each of which do lots io operations to resolve dependencies and whatnot.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

one thing to note is that while the kernel has to get unmapped from the process the reverse is not true, so the base cost of a syscall is getting cranked up (changing page tables is expensive since it invalidates tlb) making a *large* syscall gets no more expensive, since the kernel can still scoop a huge write out of the process memory, or a huge read into it, so as long as requests are bulky it'll work out fine

beyond high loads of small pieces of io from databases a lot of random software will no doubt suffer if it relies on a bunch of small kernel services like synchronization primitives or monitoring file system events or tiny ipc that used to be a lot cheaper

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

that would explain why fsmark's "create 5000 1mb files really fast" now takes twice as long on an nvme drive :stare:

but really how often do i expect to be doing that

yay for generous return policies i guess; the last amd cpu i had was.... uhh..... an athlon xp

decisions decisions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so does this affect torrentings

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also whats the energy impact of branch prediction and on like phones is it dignificantly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

flakeloaf posted:

yes, file IO is a syscall but when you’re encoding video you tend to read large chunks (or mmap them) so the number of times you enter the kernel is very small compared to the time you spend doing math in a loop in user space.

as said before databases do a ton of IO, but so do servers of just about every kind. other things that will hurt are things that are heavily IPC-based. lots of middleware stuff. any time you have two processes communicating with a high throughput that’s going to take a hit.

more generally you can say that all software that isn’t compute intensive will probably suffer. the degree to which it will varies.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

also whats the energy impact of branch prediction and on like phones is it dignificantly

without branch prediction and speculative execution your phone is useless garbage.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

executives need to file a declaration of their sales schedule in advance and are legally required to stick to it. this would only be a problem if he didn’t declare these sales in advance.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i see intel has found a subtler way to stave off antitrust investigations than cash payments to amd. good on them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it looks like the patch that disables page table isolation for amd is making it into the kernel. it might not be merged until the 4.16 release though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
where intel is going to get hosed is their data center customers. amazon, google, and Microsoft are not going to like getting significantly less performance from the chips that they bought, and they buy the highest end most expensive chips. they are going to demand some big discounts to make up for this.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and then consumers are going to say "well what about us" and hopefully intel has something more intelligent to offer than "well if you can prove you need to divide 4005FB by 2FFFFF..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

flakeloaf posted:

OpenCL and CUDA?

• Locked thread