Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ComradeCosmobot posted:

OpenCL and CUDA?

oh god this means buttcoin is going up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol butt miners will just run with nopti

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

so what happens if there is some problem that affects like decades of old intel CPUs that is game over unless the system is patched

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a resurgence of abacuses

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Lol Intel's response: there's no risk or flaw and it's not only our products

well okay then

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

like i imagine there must be a zillion old pentiums running in the control systems for a factory or a power grid or whatever, does everyone just throw up their hands and say oh well, or what

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh also :laffo:

"We do not believe this exploit will let anyone corrupt, modify or delete data"

>You are in a user mode process. You can corrupt nothing, modify nothing, delete nothing, admit nothing, and are not even certain who you are.

>read:ins:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if they're old they're safe. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

Oh also :laffo:

"We do not believe this exploit will let anyone corrupt, modify or delete data"

>You are in a user mode process. You can corrupt nothing, modify nothing, delete nothing, admit nothing, and are not even certain who you are.

>read:ins:

it’s true, it’ll just let the process read how to do those things! :v:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

our faulty fire extinguishers pose no risk of drowning, functional illiteracy or guinea worm

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

don't worry, we won't let anyone corrupt, modify, or delete your private bitcoin address *put giant QR code printout inside clear plastic sleeve, keeps face up on desk*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Linguica posted:

like i imagine there must be a zillion old pentiums running in the control systems for a factory or a power grid or whatever, does everyone just throw up their hands and say oh well, or what

Accept the risk, only run trusted code.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Linguica posted:

so what happens if there is some problem that affects like decades of old intel CPUs that is game over unless the system is patched

yes. if you didn’t pay for a long term support contract you’re not getting bug fixes for ancient hardware. that’s life.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

where intel is going to get hosed is their data center customers. amazon, google, and Microsoft are not going to like getting significantly less performance from the chips that they bought, and they buy the highest end most expensive chips. they are going to demand some big discounts to make up for this.

But Amazon, Google, and Microsoft don't have much choice as to CPU provider in the short to medium term, no?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

they'll keep the chips and browbeat intel into a fat settlement cheque, and the public can continue to gently caress off

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

yes. if you didn’t pay for a long term support contract you’re not getting bug fixes for ancient hardware. that’s life.
right but will there have to be a big Y2K type effort to fix old poo poo, except in this case the enemy is possible malicious actors and not just the transition to a particular year or do people just accept their poo poo might get hacked at any given time in the future

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

right but will there have to be a big Y2K type effort to fix old poo poo, except in this case the enemy is possible malicious actors and not just the transition to a particular year or do people just accept their poo poo might get hacked at any given time in the future

lomarf

people already accept this, haven't you seen the ccc skada talk?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

also even if you did pay for a long term support contract because the vendor of your hardware decides this is outside the scope of what they support

see: every piece of CNC equipment ever

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Linguica posted:

Mate, security is so poo poo in the entire scada sector that this is the least of anyone's problems

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

they'll keep the chips and browbeat intel into a fat settlement cheque, and the public can continue to gently caress off

except they don't have all that much leverage to get such a settlement since they, as noted, don't have a lot of other options

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Anyone know what subset of Intel chips have PCID? Ark doesn't list the feature and all I can find googling it are articles about the fuckup

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the only way this will effect bideo james are online bideo james’ servers, and then not really since it depends on their scheme

I suspect MMOs like Eve or WoW would be the hardest hit while FPS games will be mostly fine unless they’re doing something weird and unnecessary

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

But Amazon, Google, and Microsoft don't have much choice as to CPU provider in the short to medium term, no?

not really but that doesn’t mean they don’t have leverage. refusing to pay multi billion dollar invoices for underperforming parts, refusing to accept new deliveries and leaving intel with billions in inventory on their hands, and threatening lawsuits over contract breach of chip performance guarantees are tools they can use. Intel is a supplier, they need to keep their customers happy, and when they obviously hosed up they’re going to have to eat that cost.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Preliminary benchmarks against the Epyc platform look pretty good compared to Xeon and the biggest issues seem to be software needing architecture optimizations. I think they could have some leverage

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

FPS games will be mostly fine unless they’re doing something weird and unnecessary

hahaha

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the only way this will effect bideo james are online bideo james’ servers, and then not really since it depends on their scheme

I suspect MMOs like Eve or WoW would be the hardest hit while FPS games will be mostly fine unless they’re doing something weird and unnecessary

Absolutely terrible news that Excel Online: The Game will be a little bit slower

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I bet BattleEye will poo poo its pants over this

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wouldn’t it only affect servers that are keeping track of items across massive maps/worlds? so it may affect something like PUBG but not so much something like CSGO or Overwatch

I’m asking questions based on what I saw about databases but I’m literally retarded so I’d love to know if I’m understanding this wrong :shobon:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
things are finally looking up for ol’ Gil AMD

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

EVE is probably legit hosed give the nature of how that game is programmed, afaik

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

EVE is probably legit hosed give the nature of how that game is programmed, afaik

:getin:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

not really but that doesn’t mean they don’t have leverage. refusing to pay multi billion dollar invoices for underperforming parts, refusing to accept new deliveries and leaving intel with billions in inventory on their hands, and threatening lawsuits over contract breach of chip performance guarantees are tools they can use. Intel is a supplier, they need to keep their customers happy, and when they obviously hosed up they’re going to have to eat that cost.

Yeah, I don't think so. Amazon and Microsoft don't have enough spare data center capacity to play a game of chicken with their CPU supplier.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wouldn’t it only affect servers that are keeping track of items across massive maps/worlds? so it may affect something like PUBG but not so much something like CSGO or Overwatch

I’m asking questions based on what I saw about databases but I’m literally retarded so I’d love to know if I’m understanding this wrong :shobon:

yeah, that's what should happen. but most games have become gigantic piles of poo poo in the last 20 years, and apart from some notable exceptions run despite all the work done on them, not because of it.

i'm not going to call games will turn to poo poo over this, obviously most won't, but i also won't be surprised in the least if some game that's basically quake 2 but 20 years later turns to poo poo over this patch. for example, the denuvo DRM has a driver that lives in the windows kernel these days, through which the majority of gameplay code most go, to try and prevent people from stealing a $40 piece of software. anti-cheat software like battleye as pointed up above could also get hit by this, and games like ARMA 3 already depend cpu or ram speed enough that for many people, playing on low or ultra settings gives the same framerate.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Anyone know what subset of Intel chips have PCID? Ark doesn't list the feature and all I can find googling it are articles about the fuckup

goes back pretty far it looks like; my old cpu from like 7 years ago has it: http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1204224-SU-I73770KCO52/Intel%20Core%20i5%202500K/cpuinfo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

my skylake has it

`grep pcid /proc/cpuinfo´ tells you pretty quick at least

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
afaik every haswell and later cpu has it, before that it may be a thing that's in some but not others?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

deets: https://security.googleblog.com/2018/01/todays-cpu-vulnerability-what-you-need.html

quote:

These vulnerabilities affect many CPUs, including those from AMD, ARM, and Intel, as well as the devices and operating systems running them.

e: https://meltdownattack.com/

(also thanks scaevolus and b0lt 4 the links)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 3, 2018

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the fact that there's an associated security update for chrome is a bit concerning

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

the fact that there's an associated security update for chrome is a bit concerning

from my very brief reading, that's probably for the spectre attack, which is different from the intel one (meltdown). spectre sounds like it's something you have to fix per-application

the spectre paper won't load tho

e: more stuff, including how spectre works https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Any "background" section of a paper about an extremely bad exploit that includes the phrase "In 1967," should be extremely concerning

• Locked thread