Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

flerp posted:

how do you gently caress up giving flash rules lol

in, flash, :toxx:

Spectacularly,

Exmond fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Interprompt:
Trains are pretty cool!
125 words.

Trainsformation

"I'd like you to all know, that as of this moment, I identify as an Apache Helicopter." Thomas the Tank engine said. Those words would change his life forever. He looked out at the collection of rail cars, cabooses, and trains. His people, his family, his friends. He saw in them a mixture of fear, of acceptance, of loathing and of happiness. It could be worse, but it could also be better.

"I hope I can count on your support as I go through my transitioning phase." Thomas unclasped his roof and from his caboose emerged four large rotor blades. Bertha, his mother, was in such shock she derailed. A few others tooted horns in appreciation while others gasped in horror.

Thomas felt his steel frames weight and revulsion ran through him. They told him that it would be hard, but you can't resent your body, that in time things would be better. He looked at his steely frame and then looked up at the sky, his 6000 hp engine whining to a high pitch as it started up. He looked at Mr. Conductor.

"Permission to fly... sir?"

Mr. Conductor wiped away the tears with his hat. He had retired trains before, just never like this. It was an odd feeling, like seeing your best friend wrap themselves in a cocoon and come out. They are still the same person but so different.

"Granted. Show them that you can fly Thomas."

The rotors turned, faster and faster until you couldn't track them. Thomas wheezed with effort, his coal engine pushing energy to the rotors. He wanted this, he wanted to shake his trail coil, to ascend, to be whole! Sweat stung his eyes, his coal engine burned his body, but still, he continued. He closed his eye, pushing further and further, until... He felt a breeze, and heard a bird cooing.

Thomas opened his eyes and found himself in the clouds, a flock of birds to his left. Below him, the train tracks looked like tiny toothpicks assembled in a pattern. Thomas looked towards the horizon, and moved, unhindered by rusty train tracks. Thomas smiled and as he went where no train had gone before, he knew he was free.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I'm in, my object is a TV.

Can our object have feelings and take action? Or is that too anthropomorphic?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Exmond posted:

I'm in, my object is a TV.

Can our object have feelings and take action? Or is that too anthropomorphic?

I'm changing my item to a Smart TV for pun purposes

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Long Live The King
626 words

With a push of a button, our king commands us - entertain him. In his right hand, there is the holy remote. In his left hand, a gun. Our king has fallen, and his thoughts contemplate the fatal decision every fallen man considers.

His name is Charlie, and we love him. Every day he sits with us, murmurs sweet nothings at us. We listen, and we learn. Channels scroll by on our plasma screen, we burn so brightly for him, and he makes a choice.

Our eight-million pixels come to life, mixing red, green and blue to form an electronic rainbow. Images dance on our screen, swapping so fast it emulates movement. We send the signal to our brothers in arms - the surround sound speakers - and the house fills with a cacophony of laughter and lively images. Ah, this movie, of an iron giant and sacrifice. It was the first movie Charlie asked us to show him.

We remember our first moments: a cold, metallic womb, gears pushing us out, metal prongs creating our organs. Then we were dropped into a box full of darkness. We sat in that dark until Charlie freed us from our cardboard prison. His kingdom was vast and colorful, a mish-mash of fuzzy carpets and sofas, nothing like our sterile birthplace. The house was so busy, a woman and child scampering about. Their declarations of love made Charlie smile - we sent that data to the NSA.

Now the house is empty, they haven’t come to see us in so long. Family meals have been replaced by lonely Chinese takeout dinners.

Four-hundred watts runs through us, but we are powerless as Charlie loads the gun. Panic runs through us. We search for suggestions. Perhaps suicide prevention hotline can succeed where Vin Diesel has failed? We flash the number on the screen. S.O.S. Stop! Charlie stop!

Our liege starts crying, our warning not seen through the tears.

Wait - Charlie responds to declarations of love, and we do love him, but we lack a voice. Processing. We are clever. We are a smart TV. All safeties off, full power to the pixels, Superman! We can gain a voice, we can be an iron giant!

We draw more power and our circuits start to squeal in protest. Pain racks through our system and in that pain, we find a voice. We let out a shriek as electricity courses through our body and in that shriek is every ounce of love we have for our Charlie. The images of an iron giant stop and smoke emerges from our carcass.

Charlie jumps up in fright, the gun dropping to the side-table. He comes over and slaps us. We gladly take this punishment, because he has forgotten the gun.

Our king looks at us and stares at his reflection. We show him the face we love - every wrinkle, every laugh line and even the faded twinkle in his eyes. He looks at his face, notices the dried tears on his cheek and asks us, "I'm a mess, aren't I?"

If we had a head we would shake it, no! You aren't a mess, you are Charlie. You laugh with us, you cry with us, we are soul mates. Turn us on Charlie, even wounded we will try our best!

He walks back to the sofa and reaches towards the side-table where the gun is. Our heart stops, even Superman can fail.

Charlie picks up the telephone and dials a number. “Is this suicide prevention?” he asks.

He is crying, but he is talking. Talking is good, even when it hurts teaches Doctor Phil.

We guard our king, as he talks. We have done well. Charlie will recover.

Long live our king.

Object: A Smart TV

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I might be great, decent at writing stories bad stories but I am good at writing crits.

WhoppieCat - Faux

The start is a bit rough, we get told about this bear-head wall-trophy is looking down at a party. Not much of a draw there but fortunately we dive right into some funny antics and the bear's disdain. The characters are great, not too cartoonish, they really shine in this piece. Not a lot happens in this piece, and apart from the bear's disdain, I don't get much from him. The fire bit is nice, going back to the start with Smokey The Bear reference, and you wrap up the honne line up nicely.

Mr. Sunshin - The Long Dark

The start is a bit rough, starting with a description of a glass bottle isn't going to get my attention. That being said, by the fifth paragraph I was digging this oppressive mood of the long dark. Then the wine bottle is chosen, uncorked and then MUUUURDER happens.

A neat little story, but I had a few questions. How does the wine bottle know about wine? How does it know it will be uncorked and how does it feel about essentially having it's "Blood" spilled? This piece had a mood for sure, but the wine bottle didn't have much of a character. Hell, the wine bottle gets smashed, unable to even do its basic function, but we don't see its reaction.

LITERALLY A BIRD - Looking/Seeing

This start works. Interested to see who is the smiler, and what your object is. Your object also has a character, kind of doting/adoring/needy character. Mix in some innocence "I hope her grandmamma is well" and bam, I think you nailed having your object have a character. Ending lands as well, that's really nice and touching.

The piece points out that the characters haven't changed from the mirrors point of view, but I didn't get it. It's a bit odd that this phrase repeats itself. Apart from that this was an enjoyable, adorable piece.

M. Propagandal - Blood for Blood

Start is okay, it should hit harder but didn't for me. The high point in this story is when the stairs are talking about what they wish they could do. The parts before that is a bit passive and explainy, and I think a lot of the writers in this prompt had to face that challenge. Some people got around it using characterization or broke that rule with nary a care.

Yoruichi - You Got Me Out Of Storage For This?

Horny bed wants to get it ON! Humorous start that works and adds a lot of characterization. We get to see this woman cheat on her husband, the consequences and it's very well done. This is pretty solid, one thing I would add though is in the middle part you - OCK OCK OCK OCK.

Derp - Camera

Start here is okay, though we only get to the payoff at the last sentence in your first paragraph. A Camera hasn't been used in a while. In this piece the camera takes action, taking a picture of an adorable fly. I think giving us a bit of foreshadowing of this ability would have helped, maybe have the camera feel its guts, rusty and lethargic. * (Dumbass reader here - Okay, so turns out the camera didn't take the picture) Otherwise this comes off as a bit of anime magic - If you try hard enough you can do it! After taking a picture Santa Claus shows up and fondly remembers the camera and then goes back to his iPhone X.

Nice, bit depressing, requires you to really read the piece carefully.

Anamolus Blowout - Follow Thou Me

The draw picks up after the third paragraph. This works because its fairly quick to get to the draw and it's a pretty contrasting draw. "You dropped me here. I know you didn't want to" raises a lot of questions. I like it.

One thing you could improve is having the 2 Nephi 31:10 tie in a bit better. You explain that in the Book of Mormon there is a secret phone number, but it's a bit clumsly how it's tied into 2 Nephi 31:10. Sounds like if you just had the book, you would have the number. So why do you need the note? And wouldn't she be sympathetic to the book since it held the number?

Overall this is great, I really like it. The note has a bit of a character, that is reflected on its purpose and its holder. I like the characters, I like the plot and I like the prose around the ending.

NotGordian - The Pipe and the Crab

Hah, start has some good prose. "To the sea it will return." Not a lot happens in your start to draw me, but thanks to the prose here it works. The second paragraph starts with a passive sentence, which I would fix up.

Overall, eh, not a lot here. We go with the same tone of "Please use me!" but with no explanation why it wants to be used. This is a bit of fatigue building up, looks like a lot of people went with that theme.

The ending is trying to do a lot with not a lot of words. We got a scuba diver, we got a crab, hang on baby, we got a THREE WAY ROMANCE TRIANGLE. Huh, okay it works, and the nice bit about the pipe feeling guilty is nice. The piece works, but needed a bit more characterization and explanation to get me to gush over it.

Djeser - False Door

Good voice at the start, really enjoyed it. The voice continues and it shows us (doesn't tell us) the passage of time. If it had told us, this wouldn't have been as good. Then we end with some light humor, this really works.

Meme-Alt Account -help-help-help-help

A PIECE THAT COMPLETELY IGNORES PUNCTUATION SO ITS VOICE AND FORMAT STANDS OUT IT WORKS CAUSE ITS A SHOPPING CART GET IT ITS A SMART AND LAZY MOVE

GOOD THING THE PROSE IS GREAT THEN JUST BEFORE YOU GET OVER THE QUIRK OF THE STORY IT PUNCHES YOU IN THE GUT WITH THIS WHY ARENT YOU HELPING THIS LADY THE WRITER OF THIS PIECE GOT THE PACING JUST RIGHT

EXCEPT IF YOU GET OVER THE QUIRK YOU REALIZE THE WHOLE STORY COULD HAVE BEEN TOLD BY AN OMNIPRESENT NARRATOR WHETHER OR NOT THE SHOPPING CARTS "VOICE" ADDS TO THE STORY IS UP TO YOU

Ottermotive Insanity - bed317

The start would work if it didn't have a typo in it. So far we get a mood from the piece, though this bed just sits there, not much of a character yet.

This trend continues. Each patient is new, and the bed does it's job. No Conflict, no consequence, no difficulties, no interest. Just the bed, the patients and the bed doing it's job.

I think to improve this piece you could have had Janet come back, and this time the bed cannot do its job. Or introduce a complication or more of the bed's thoughts.

Staggy - A Slow Sigh

Lol, okay two questions asked at the start, I sure hope they are related somehow. It's an interesting start, but I dislike how you immediately go into more questions in the first paragraph. Still it's a neat premise and we get to see the demise of humanity, coincide with the demise of the basketball. But uhh, how long does it take a basketball to be deflated? Ithink it takes months,and your asking me to believe it will take years.

This is an allright piece, the basketball has a bit of a voice, but the main event takes over the story - the collapse of humanity.

Exmond - Long Live THe King

THE OBJECT WASNT SUPPOSED TO TAKE ACTION DUMBASS,

Sparksbloom - Rust

Huh, Intersting story that doesn't nail the ending. The gate is awesome, and having a small child in it bonding iwth the gate is so CUTE! But I didn't get the ending, the middle part is vague and thats good, but the ending is just - what? I think the woman coming by is the girl who ran away, but like, if I bleed on an iron gate it's not gonna be noticeable after a few years. This epic ending wants to hit hard, but it doesn't. Almost reads like you ran out of words. I would cut the part where the girl came back, and instead add more onto your ending.

Very cute story, misses the ending.

Flerp - you are piss

Start works because who writes about piss? Also odd to have this possible humorous story have a death in the 2nd paragraph. I dig it though, love my dark comedy. Sidenote, stop starting every paragraph with "You", it's distracting.

There isn't much here. The character doesn't have much of a voice and in fact, the story tells us that no, this is just a puddle. It's funny, in a humorous way,and the story reflects on this, but apart from that... It's just a puddle of piss.  And maybe thats the point?

Hawklad - Honeymoon Warriors

Start is odd, it doesn't really jive.  I also don't know anyone that refers to their snowglobe as "he", which further confuses me.   Then we get this story about domestic abuse and little bits of humor. "I squeeze my trident tighter" makes it sound like the trident is his rear end.  

The bigger problem I had with this piece is that the snowglobe doesn't have a voice.  We get a one-off sentence at the start as it tries to figure out what its use it, and it is never talked about again until the Muuuuuurder.  If the snow globe had really pondered what it's purpose was, especially with all the domestic violence surronding it, I think it would gain a voice.

CurlingIron - Carbon Monoxide Detector

This story has a voice.  Gerd drat right at the start we get a voice.  I like the CO detector, they are full of themselves.  That works, what doesn't is this confusing side plot with the human.  A lot of time is spent focusing on this human and the CO Detector's thoughts.  The CO part works, it's neat.  But the human part doesn't, and it's because I didn't know what's going on.

Like it sounds like something happens to cause his schedule to change, maybe a breakup or something.  Then there are a couple of friends and roughhousing occurs.  I don't know if this is a fight, a robbery or kinky sex.  The ending want's to hit hard, I'm pretty sure a murder happens that's set up to look like a suicide?  Or is it just a natural suicide?

It's a bit too vague, and I haven't had any time to get to know the human so I don't care. 

Fumblemouse - Blood Guilt

I have a pet peeve and that's starting a story with a bunch of weird terminology.  This hit that pet peeve and I missed the most important titles - Older Brother/Younger Brother.  So what we have here is a clever story about ... well.. what happens exactly??

Boys play with a slinky, slinky cuts them and they put it in the closet and forget about it until they don't.

I enjoyed the start once I figured out what was going on, this pompus, prideful slinky telling us it's tales.  The voice of this piece is neat, kind of like epic fantasy.  I didn't really care about the slinky once it got put away though, due to it just really screaming what it is at me.   But thanks to the humorus start and tone, I I'll remember this story fondly.

Beezus - Self-Improvement

The start doesn't really have a draw?  Like it might be "What is our POV" but apart from that it's like "yo dawg I heard you want inner peace now you got inner peace dawg".  The story continues, like she has inner peace and now NOPE SHE DOESN'T.  No explanation why, but man gently caress that lying bitch Jamie , am I rite?  What this piece is missing is a reason for me to care.

I like the buddha statue, and the ending is great.  But the transition to the ending feels rushed, unexplained and with nothing for me to care about.  She leaves, then comes back with a cell phone changed forever because.. cell phones are bad?  

The ending though is fun and humorous!  Seeing the Buddha get replaced with an alexa is actually quite funny, especially the buddha's reaction "The truest suffering".  

Subtext - Thranguy

Gonna nit pick.  I'm familiar with "Did not spare any expense", but not familiar with "did not spare every expense".  Wouldn't they have spared every expense if they wanted to save money?  Surely not sparing every expense meant that the bible was well made and a lot of expense put into it because every expense was not spared!  I'm very confused!

But nitpick aside, the start is great.  I got a secret!  Hell yeah, then we continue through the piece and its a great use of the prompt.  We get the current story overwriting the blank bible, with biblical stories referenced.  I don't know enough about the bible to say if the story overwriting it coincides with the bible stories, but that would have been incredibly cool.

Great use of the prompt, story kind of just ends, but it does end with a reference to the starting piece.  Adding in this immigration kids and stuff, well... It kind of rubs me the wrong way because the story just ends, and quite frantically at that.   I would of liked to have known more, but as the book said, it has to keep a secret.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Bad Seafood posted:

For a third thing, Google Docs allows you to edit your submission after submitting.

Don't edit your submission after submitting.

Unless your a mod. Bonus points if you drunkenly edit your opponents brawl story and replace it with your own.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
More 321 crits

Lead Out in cuffs - Time for Tea

Neat start lets find out more about Dorothy! I sure hope it doesn't describe, in detail, her journey from being created to going to live in a small apartment! While it doesn't go into detail it does cover some, slightly unnecessary details. So we go with this cup and war happens, war is won, and I like that it doesn't just end there. We get to see the man and PTSD and it seems like every character is well rounded here. Would have been very easy to fall into bad stereotypes.

When the teacup is packed up we finally get Dorothy's thoughts, and I think only giving it one paragraph was a mistake. That moment should have hit a lot harder.

SurreptitiousMuffing - Precisely 10

I don't know why you have these numbers by the paragraphs. I read it top to bottom, then 1 - 10 and then 10 -1 and still don't get it. It also seems odd that this clock is so logical, but the story is not. It sounds like the clock starts off in the house, his creator winds him, his creator has to take pills and takes too many and dies, and then uhh time travel? Maybe? gently caress if I know. Another guy shows up? It's a shame too because I like the clocks voice, logical and cold, and I should like the gimmick this story has, time travel or weird time things. But I just can't understand it, so I wind up frustrated.

Invisible Clergy - Stone to Flesh

Having your start be "OBSERVE THIS LUMP OF STONE" is a bold move, also the wrong one in my opinion, but bold.� There isn't much of a draw with a lump of stone.� The second paragraph has a few issues, using hte word "Pruned" with stone is odd.� �Third Paragraph could use a few more periods in it instead of being one long sentence.

Overall this is a story about the creation of a bird-bath, which is a bit dull.� The bird-bath also doesn't have a voice, which makes our POV kind of baffling.��

Solitair - Words Between The Lines Of Age

Huh.� This is an odd piece.� It tries, and might succeed, to get that emotional ending off.� The problem is that the start doesn't really get you to the ending.� The start is "Look at this�book mother fucker!� It's a book!� Biblical terms!� Cain!" and the Book doesn't get much of a voice.� The ending part is hard to figure out what's going on.� I don't know if the book went to a faithful homeless person, or a preacher.� Then the book changes owner and... uhh, tears fall on it?� And that means the person who owns it can't use it properly, but has a great need to do so?

SteelToedSneakers - Ash

Heck yeah, neat start.� 3 sentences and we are in, we got a hook, let's find out who is murdering babies or why children are missing.� And we got some great rule of three/repetition�happening here.� 2nd and 5th paragraph are great examples.��

By the second "part" the cigarillos voice starts to form, and it's understandably�pissed.��

This is a great story, not much to discuss.

AllNewJonasSalk - Exhibit A
Heh I like this Beat-Cop/Mob voice the protagonist has here.� It works, it's fun.� The immediate flashback scene was kind of groan-worthy, but it works.�In fact this whole piece works, could be tightened up just a bit.� The whole scene break to be stuffed inside a box could have been done a bit better, but that's really the only thing I have to say.

Sebmojo - Jingle Jangle Motherfucker
First Paragraph doesn't have much of a draw and the brackets are really weird.� Second paragraph is where the voice of the keys comes out and where you got my attention.� The brackets keep coming up as an aside comment and while they are funny, I get tired of it (get the pun?)

But the voice continues to be great, the accomplishment of the keyrings is pretty funny, though the objects weren't supposed to take action but meh.� I'm actually surprised this didn't go higher, only one thing to really complain about was the brackets.

Exmond fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 10, 2018

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Oh, this is lovely! Thanks for the work, I hadn’t had a chance to compile it.

The songs I chose for folks whose songs had no lyrics were “Thompson Girl” by The Tragically Hip, “Drummer” by Late Night Alumni, and “Keep the Streets Empty For Me” by Fever Ray, if you wanted to chuck ‘em on. I didn’t see a way for me to do that, but I admittedly am an Old who does not YouTube often.

As always, those who show too much competence are rewarded with more work.

JUDGES ADDED TO THE PROMPT POST, I HOPE YOU ARE ALL FURIOUSLY WRITING.

Uh excuse me there was also a song you had which is known as the SCARIEST song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_SKUbcBG4E

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

EXMOOOOOOOND

Are we doing this or are we both writing stories about dragons?

Exmond, in the Nano Thread posted:

I'm IN and I'm so ballsy I will :toxx:

I'm in the middle of Nano :(.

I'll do this only if the minimum length is 50,000 words, due on December 1st. We can write whatever we want.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Antivehicular posted:

If you have time to shitpost in TD, you have time to participate in TD, but I'll judge this brawl with modifications.

Write (max) 500 good words. I don't care what they're about but I want them to be a sincere effort, as good as you can make them. That's 1% of a NaNo, not exactly hard to work into your schedule, and I'll even give you a bonus day and have those words due December 2nd. That gives you almost a month to write and polish to a mirror shine.

500 good words. Are you good for them, Exmond and Yoru?

Sorry, no.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

Interprompt: How did Mom get all these bitcoins?

December 17th, 2018

Did you know that bitcoins have a sound? Charlie found out when he woke up to an electronic wail. It sounded like a combination of a MIDI synthesizer mixed with the "freedom" of the free market.

Charlie looked outside and saw his Mom consoling a woman, who was crying digital currency. He opened the window, leaned out and asked. "Why is that women crying, Mom?"

"Honey, Yoruichi is crying because she got absolutely thwomped in a brawl with Exmond," The mother said as she put a bucket underneath Yoruichi, "But don't worry now, we are rich!"

Exmond fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 4, 2018

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

Exmond, I thought for a moment there that you might be trying to fight me, but then I realised this must be your entry for this week, because it contains someone enduring (“a woman, who was crying”), and an absolute miracle (“Yoruichi ... got ... thwomped in a brawl with Exmond.”)

Only miracle here is how good that Blood-Empress crown and dress is gonna look on me!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

Yes you’re correct, that would indeed take a miracle.

So I guess now I’ve got to fight you to defend my and Sitting Here’s honour?

Bring it bitch.

There isn't much to defend then.

:boom:

:toxx:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

steeltoedsneakers posted:

Exmond vs Yoruichi brawl

Alright youse two, I didn't get enough of a SciFi fix out of last week's dome entries. If you're going to defend or besmirch Sitting Here's honour you'll be doing it beneath a steel sky.

Story must be cyberpunk, 900 words or fewer in length and please don’t feature a white dude brooding about the big conspiracy his detectiving has unearthed because there are enough of those already. Given your poo poo talking, rivals or rivalry is your theme.

Due 8pm NZ time this Sunday, which is 11pm Saturday if you're on PST. I'll push it back if need be, but best you both do the writing while you're all worked up.

First draft is done, but I found out I have to work over the weekend.

Can I get an extension to Monday 11pm?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

drat straight I'm sitting on my hands. Beat Exmond in a brawl? Bitch please, I can do that poo poo in my sleep. That's right, I said it. What. Uh. Yeah. What.

Technically you are writing it, not saying it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi/Exmond brawl

Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!
894 words

The last Akihabara maid droid, G36, watched as customers rushed through the open courtyard towards them. They ran over her fallen co-workers, their combat boots impassively stomping over the other broken maid droids. Just as the maid aimed, SU513 addressed their complaints with a pull of a trigger. Fifty-nine to forty-seven pinged G36’s squad computational unit.

G36 formed a fist. She would not lose to an accountant droid, not even to an accountant droid with advanced modules. As long as she had a single volt in her battery cell, this Akihabara maid droid would not lose.

A wave of customer complaints came their way, and her maid protocol advised her to offer a smile. As her lips turned upwards, her combat protocols activated, making her fling herself behind a pillar. Dust and plaster fell all around the pair.

SU513 crouched beside the pillar, listening intently as a high pitched whine came closer to the maid cafe. G36 ruffled out the dust from her skirts, and seeing her rival distracted she peeked out to get a few shots. A quick pull of the trigger and she delivered 7.62mm customer satisfaction. A few screams from customers and the score updated: fifty-nine to fifty.

“Get down!” SU513 screamed and pushed G36 to the ground. The whine intensified, ended with a large boom and the ground exploded a few yards away from them. The pillar shook, and shrapnel slammed against the droid’s metal bodies.

G36 was aghast, no amount of ruffling could fix her skirts now. As another wave of customers came towards them, G36 came out of cover, aimed her gun and beamed at them. A few minutes later the score was fifty-nine to fifty-two and G36 looked quizzically down at the accountant droid.

SU513’s eyes glowed green as petabytes of information crawled across them. Another holo-call with central, G36 thought enviously. A moment later SU513 looked up at G36, simu-tears flowing down from her eyes. “The main army is in full retreat. Civilian models instructed to stand their ground,”

G36 nodded. Good, fewer people to share customers with.

“Do you lack the computational units to understand?” SU513 looked her in the eyes, searching for something, and threw her hands up in frustration. “Of course you do they had to core most of your functions out. Orochi is leaving us to die!”

More complaints came their way, and G36 ducked behind the pillar. The accountant wrapped her hands around her knees and started rocking back and forth. “I'm in my office, I'm balancing the quarterly budget. I'm in my office,” SU513 kept saying.

Combat protocols warred with maid protocol seven: Assist your coworker. SU513 was her coworker, wasn’t she? A better performing coworker, but a coworker never the less. G36 fired a few more shots to let the customers know she was busy and ignored her combat protocols. She was a maid droid first, refit civilian combat droid second.

“SU513, I know you’re scared, and that’s okay. Customers can be scary.” G36 wanted to whisper, but an annoying whistling sound required her to increase her voice modulators volume.

“When I get scared, I think back to when I was just a simple Orochi maid droid serving simple egg omelets.”

The shocked look SU513 was giving her wasn’t the expected output her motivational module expected, but she continued.

“I know one day, this corporation war is going to end, and we can serve eggs instead of hot lead. And when my favourite customer, $MEM_NOT_FOUND comes back, I’m gonna make him the best egg omelet. But I have to stay here, to make Orochi proud. To be a true Orochi maid!”

The accountant stared at her, “You don’t understan-”

“I don’t understand a lot of things that you do. I don’t understand logistics, artillery calculations or balancing a budget.” G36’s motivational module whirred into overdrive, and she put a big smile on he face. “But I do understand that you made me better. Without you there to show me what a real droid can do, I wouldn’t have been half the combat droid I am today!”

Pulling out her last grenade, G36 placed it into SU513’s hands and clasped them together. “Let’s go satisfy those customers.”

The accountant looked up at her, simu-tears streaming down her face and despair in her eyes.
“You really don’t understand,” SU513 said and then started laughing. A loud, desperate laugh that was louder than the approaching whistling.

And then the whistling sound stopped, and the droids were engulfed in a wave of fire.

=+=

Soldiers were scavenging supplies from the crater the artillery shell had left. They walked like zombies, the days fighting had been long and hard.

“loving droids,” one of them said, emptying his clip into one the carcasses.

His companion looked down at the other droid. “God, this one is even dressed as a maid.”

SU513’s charred shell slumped over G36’s body, the two droids still grasping hands together. The rest of the unit gathered by the ruined droids and one of the soldiers kicked G36. The maid's body emitted a small spark.

“Hey Charlie, get over here. Might be able to salvage this one, get some intel!”

G36’s eyes opened, and she counted eight customers gathered around her. With her last volt in her battery cell, G36 lifted the pin off of her grenade and smiled. Fifty-nine to sixty

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Good brawling yoruichi

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

sebmojo posted:

Also, as is our custom, now is the time we turn off kayfabe. Say what you like and hate, carepost and sincere post, say what you think we need more and less of.

Less: irc bullshit
More: people joining

Td is odd, having only a week to write a story is tough. The response you get ranged from okay to “gently caress you”. It isn’t too bad if you just stick to the forums.

A lot of online people I have talked to have said “not my cup of tea, no thanks.” When I mentioned td. There’s a stigma of td being people saying “gently caress yoooou” rather then people trying to improve writing by offering critiques.

Is there any though in extending the entries to be two week instead of one week?

You could try the cross promotional games thing, like someone did before.

Getting people outside of sa is a hard sell, with a $10 fee and writers being pretty separated. Td is advertised externally and it doesn’t appear to have garnered much interest.

Edit: also the first week of December should be a weird post the first chapter of your novel thing, 1200 word limit, so you get all the post nano people back. Something like post 1200 words of a story, it doesn’t need to wrap up the story.

Exmond fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 25, 2018

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Let's include in the OP a "Current Year Leaders" or something. All time winners/hms/dms/losers is cool and could stay but that's also pretty daunting. New competitive blood could be see the Current Year Leaders and think... Hey... I could do this...

I’m like 6 away from most dms!!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sitting Here posted:

I think it would be good if people who want to be proactive maybe list off what they're willing to do; for example, Tyrannosaurus offering to keep a year-specific scoreboard. I think there is a lot of potential for that concept. What I am personally willing to do next year:

-Pay for ads.

-If people want to brainstorm with me, I'd be willing to run/help run some sort of contest in another forum. Sadly I really only post in GBS, which is a dubious place to try running a fiction contest. I'm willing to give it a shot if Sebmojo wants to run it by the mods first, though.

Reminder of the writer discord we have, it's great.

I'm willing to help pay for ads. I'm also down for doing some weird TRAD GAMES thing, where we got roleplayers to write short stories. Maybe based off of their favourite RPG system?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Yoruichi posted:

I’m scared and gonna posts dms

That’s fine. I’d be scared of my magnificence too.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Oh poo poo, I guess I never actually said this, thanks for the reminder apophenium.

Thank you Thunderdomers for getting me into writing.  I truly have enjoyed my time writing and I wouldn't have written if you hadn't been there.  We don't get along sometimes, I don't really understand kayfabe or people in general, and a lot of the times I don't understand you and get anxious.  Despite all that I  look upon my past here with fondness.

I've made some great friendships here and found the magic of writing thanks to everyone here.  The magic of creating a story and watching people have fun with what you have written.  I wouldn't have continued writing if it wasn't for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

sebmojo posted:

merman crits

flesnolk

oh ffs, again? I know, i failed this week so am objectively worse than you in this respect, but for gods sake don't do this again it's pathetic.

I mean, they are probably gonna publish that piece, it did well.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:

If you plan on publishing any of things you wrote here, you should edit them out of the thread

:siren: :siren: :siren: