Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

who wants a fight - no-one who's brawled me before

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gimme 2 flash rules :toxx:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 12, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crits for raygun week

La Familia Orfeo

The words in this are put together adequately, though there’s a clunkiness to the description, particularly at the outset - I think you’re trying to do too much with a single sort of unpacked moment. She’s been around for two months, and presumably would have seen this stuff arrive, so why is she surprised about it now? The idea, of bringing back ghosts is potentially interesting but you don’t make much of it other than I REALLY LOVE U and I REALLY LOVE U 2. You try and give the characters some qualities but it’s unfelt, because it doesn’t manifest through action. What actually happens? A family tells their beloved aunt they love her, the end. That’s not interesting. I know it’s not the story you wanted to tell, but it would be actully more interesting if they brought her back to do the opposite. What if different members of the family wanted different things? The overall impression is one of mushy blandness.

Vanity Fatigue

This is a really strong and well-executed conceit that falters at the end, as you probably know. The language is very precise, and I like the little obsessions the mirror displays - there are a bunch of clever tricks of phrasing and repetition that establish a strong character, and the triangle of mirror man woman (maybe two women, i don’t think you specify) is neat. So it’s sad when you muff the ending - I may be missing something but the burns on the main person is out of nowhere and doesn’t really make either literal or metaphorical sense, unless it’s the straightforward beauty is skin deep thing. The last bit of dialogue is kind of ploddy and bland too. I’m landing on it hard because I liked the rest a lot, but this doesn’t land for all its immense charm and breezy style.

The edge of gorrin

The problem with this is that it’s just dull. Two dull randos I don’t care about discuss a dull beastie of some kind (don’t care) that will revitalise the flagging fortunes of a dull town that I also don’t care about. Various small, dull things happen, none of which I care about. At the end the protagonist decides to go away and find a more interesting story to be in. There’s a vague hint that the protag isn’t choosing to be at the beck and call of no stinkin’ man, but this is expressed by doing what the man asks and then leaving in a mild, dull huff. Also: it’s is only ever short for ‘it is’, fyi.

Wants

There’s an ESL oddness to the language here - ‘rudy’ instead of ‘ruddy’, mischieved is an odd verb though not unflavoursome, ‘the morning lights’ is weird (don’t need the ‘s’), The Mother would not normally capitalise the ‘T’. However there is a more fundamental problem with the story which is that it sets up a bunch of dominos, each of which might be the point of the story, then doesn’t really knock any of them down in any satisfying fashion. You’ve got your Portentoustly Capitalised Mythic Figure, you’ve got your array of unnamed sprites (who I kind of like, their chit chat has some charm) and they ask for a name and get told nope. That’s it, and it’s possible I’m missing something clever but I don’t think I am. I think you could have made a nice little parable about the meaning and power of names and with the raw materials, but the sprites’ request is sort of shrugged away so it doesn’t even do that, so we’re left with a signifier that don’t signify.

Lizat

I confess I saved you from the loss here, and I hope a reread doesn’t make me change my mind about that. Let’s see: naw, yeah, that’s a decent story. You made an unnecessarily bold decision to not have any paragraphs, which I don’t think quite adds enough to warrant the annoyance, but the creepy yet weirdly tender idea is very strong, and the way you introduce the dastardly corporation’s ultimate crime of making people love it by addicting people to alien wasp drugs is really clever. It’s got a nice conversational rhythm to it that would have read fine with paras, though there is a little merit in having it as a big chunk, adds some intensity to the speaking. It also raises some interesting issues about emotional reality that I think it leaves at the right point - if you really feel an emotion, what does that mean? And of course the deliciously evil idea of monetising that is the payload of the story, which gets delivered adroitly. I might even have argued to HM this if the other judges hadn’t had such a dislike to it.

The House on Lindworm Street

I like the confidence of how this one starts a ways away from its central conceit. 1000 words is basically nothing, and it’s generally a good idea to start with some kind of bang, but this one is all dum de doo don’t mind me just a day in the life of mild manner school librarian Ms Hastings then it just sliiiides into its genuinely widescreen Idea and brings the reader along with admirable grace and precision. The one thing I don’t like as much is that she made herself forget about the dragon - I think you could have done something more interesting there, which you touch on when all the dragons appear. Can humans even hold the idea of dragons in their head? There’s a kind of rhyme with the collection of ideas in a library, hmm. So it’s a great idea, well developed. I don’t like the final line though - it’s a I WOULD NEVER FORGET THAT SUMMER LINE and it belongs in a much worse story. You could have almost ended on the line before - story’s done its job, find a nice suspension and bow out. Still, a deserved win.

Charm Sellers

Slick as hell opener, I particularly like the parts of speech separating - yeah adverbs get down low like the dirty creatures u are - but I’m not sure this really good for the word cheque it tries to present. You sit in your vernacular real smoothly, of course, and the interactions with the eel and the brother are fine, but it has the feeling of marking time. Yeah they do magic, yeah, budding capitalists, but the way it ends is basically a tune in next week and that’s not really enough, given there’s no particularly interesting unifying idea or theme. It’s less a story than a collection of solid ideas laid out at a stall for a passerby to rifle through.

Me and My Shadow

These are competent vaguely gritty fantasy words, used to lay out an idea that’s sort of neat (though you don’t do anything too interesting with it by not having your protag interact with anyone who can’t see ghosts) and then it gets to the bit where interesting and exciting adventures might happen and WHOA NELLY LOOKIT THE WORDCOUNT the story ends. These are not uncommon in the dome, but it’s something that you should always strive to avoid, and especially don’t waste your last line on a lame Hellraiser reference.

Julie in Bloom

Hmmm. I just reread this a couple of times, and I think I don’t like it but it has enough charm that I don’t mind. Really not a fan of the first para, though, it’s the sort of thing you should write then cut and incorporate it into the body. As is it adds nothing apart from an unhelpful infomercial patina to the story which already has enough problems. E.g. nothing really happens, it’s just a couple chatting charmingly for a bit, and for all it strives to make that The Point, it doesn’t land the fish.

Gnosis kai Khara

I presume in your head the notion of grace and its role as the centerpiece in a debate between weird ancient egyptian animal creatures is self evident and obvious but I have to say I struggled with this. It’s a nothing story where some richly visualised cardboard cutouts debate philosophy then go for a walk. While it angles for emotion it does little to actually evoke it - cf the weird alien wasp goo story that made me genuinely feel for the poor protag.

Crimes?

The only crime here is that you deleted your story before I could read it. I might have decided it was better than one of the others and given you retrospective vindication. I might have found some interesting nuggets of prose or elements of style that I could genuinely praise. Don’t do this. We’re all just here to make words better, and none of the barbs we trade mean anything apart from that. Look closely at the link I posted and think on what it represents.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yoru Here Brawl

This is exactly 1000 words of a couple breaking up, but they are happier at the end than they are at the start.

Yoruichi your flash rule is "inflatable car"

Sh, your flash rule is "dogs that speak"

Due 29 dec 2359 pst

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 13, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

400 words

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 2, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terrible prompt
Terrible prompt
All is swamped
All is flompt

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Steampunk merman for me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Djeser posted:

No loss this week, since it's not terribly fair

THIS IS EXTREMELY GOOD SINCE THUNDERMOE IS ALL ABOUT BEING loving FIAR ALL THE FUKCING TIME

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flesnolk posted:

In, PERMATOXX, a normal toxx to not lose, my toxx to review all the entries from the last week I judged still stands, give me a flash rule and... hmmmmmm... King Neptune?

Edit: gently caress

https://decemberdiamonds.com/Scripts/PublicSite/openwindowPub.php?&template=ShowItemPopupPublic&item=817442579220&sku=55-55049&cat=424600

Write well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Special xmas av for winner and loser

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have Fist, will Time Travel
850 words

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 2, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also, as is our custom, now is the time we turn off kayfabe. Say what you like and hate, carepost and sincere post, say what you think we need more and less of.

The dome has been looking a little thin recently so ways to increase participation would be a good thing to talk on: we can post ads, evangelise to other threads, challenge gbs to a story-off? Idk, what are your reckons?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Djeser posted:

Cross-post a Thunderdome prompt to r/writingprompts.

Hgngngn

E: thx for the crits fles, and good on you for your legit brutal toxx spasm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Could we have the avatars that link to TD have those links updated for the new thread?

We should maybe consider buying up some SA ad space soon. Might grab a goon or two looking to fulfill a "I'm going to write more!" new year's resolution

Yeah, i update the losertars as I see them. PM me if I've missed one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

These are both definitely stories and appear to mostly meet the prompt and flash rules.

Judging from me and kaishai will occur presently.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thranguy posted:

Just a bit more than three hours to get in for the week, everyone.

Both co-judge spots are also still open.

sure I'll judge

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh hey! I'm down in zqn on the 6th, want to catch up?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beer, eh. Can't say I've heard of it but I am willing to give it the old 'college try'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:siren: Yoruichi and Sitting Here Brawl :siren:

rear end in a top hat Prompt posted:

This is exactly 1000 words of a couple breaking up, but they are happier at the end than they are at the start.

Yoruichi your flash rule is "inflatable car"

Sh, your flash rule is "dogs that speak"

Yoruichi posted:

Also brawl entry

Inflated Dreams
1000 words

The inflatable car flomped i'm all about the innovative verbulising but this is teetering on the edge of twee, especially in the first line over the apex of an upside-down armchair. It was made of thick, clear plastic, painted to look like a blue Chevrolet pick-up truck. The big grin under its headlamp eyes was half rubbed off, like the vanishing Cheshire Cat. i wasn't completely sold on this image since the cheshire cat vanished as an act, but this is describing something that is static, but it does work to set the alice in wonderlandy tone of talking toys so you may pass simile-friend Fat raindrops splattered off on? the car’s flaccid windscreen. From up here it could just catch a tantalising glimpse of the access road and the distant town over the dump’s perimeter fence. a solid opener, prepped for a cute fairy tale sort of yarn

Underneath the armchair, now protected from the rain by the car’s spread-out body, was the doll’s home. She had lived in the dump a long time, and her once bright-red polka dot dress was faded and frayed. But the interior of her cave glittered even in the grey, overcast light. Every inch of the armchair’s threadbare fabric was covered with found treasures; salvaged fragments of broken mirror, pictures of the ocean torn from glossy magazines, glass beads from unwanted jewellery. Near the back, where one armrest sunk into the dirt, was a neatly made bed fashioned from a mouldy cushion and a stained woman’s blouse. Delicate clay sculptures crowded the rest of the space. There was even one of a pick-up truck with a tiny figure riding in the back. this is all lovely, very vivid and tightly describedThe inflatable car had been more touched than it had words to express this is cliche when the doll had given it the little clay model. in fact I'd just cut the last line of this para, the image says all it needs to.

FLASHBACK START The doll rescued the inflatable car on the day it was dumped. She ran towards its calls for help as fast as she could manage on her short, plastic legs. you skip over the world building and existential horror aspects of talking inanimate objects and you're right to in a story of this length, but i think not drawing attention to that is better (hence cut the descriptions of traversal where possible, they raise questions that aren't helpful to the story you're telling) It was pinned under the wheel-less axle of an old pram. The car undulated frantically and as the rumble of an approaching bulldozer shook the ground. The doll tried pulling the car out by its nozzle but it cried out for her to stop before it ripped. A pile of takeaway containers and rotting noodles clattered down around them, dislodged by the approaching bulldozer, and the car yelled at the doll to run. But she didn’t; she heaved at the pram’s axle and little by little the car slithered free. They rolled away together, the car protectively cocooning the doll, just in time to avoid being buried under an avalanche of fresh trash.

The doll took the inflatable car home to her quiet corner of the dump. The seagulls rarely bothered her there. The inflatable car was amazed by her you use a lot of these constructions for the car, possibly because you're no sure how a half inflated plastic car conveys emotion which tbf is a conundrum for the ages sculptures. In the reflected light from the many hanging mirrors the car thought the figurines looked like they were dancing. The car owed the doll its life, but it loved her for so much more than that. It loved her for the way she looked at the world, the way she saw beauty everywhere. She blushed whenever it told her so. the last three sentences are a little agonising and should really be taken to the dump shop or thrown in the landfill (ironic!) you're doing a really good job of characterising the doll but the car is basically a half-sentient magic mirror telling the doll she's pretty

Heavy grey clouds roiled above the dump and the pouring rain formed a stream in the drainage ditch below the doll’s house. FLASHBACK OVER From its rooftop perch the inflatable car watched the stream grow from a trickle to a rushing current. It stared at the spot where the water was gouging a deep channel under the dump’s perimeter fence. A sudden idea, a sense of possibility and potential adventure, thrummed through its enervated bad adjective body. something that tied to the specific physicality of a half deflated plastic car would work better here

The car wriggled forward and flopped its plastic eyes over the edge of the armchair. The world looked crinkled. see, that's great

“Doll?” it called.

The doll poked her head out and looked up.

The inflatable car hesitated. After so many years in a dark, mildewy basement, this probably needs earlier introduction but it's nbd it wasn’t even sure if it was still possible. And the doll was so small; was it fair to ask it of her? The rain hissed against the trash-laced mud. The car looked out over the dismal mounds of the broken and the discarded, and then back to the gap where the water gushed into the unknown. this is a little heavy handed, whcih is probably the main issue with this story so far

“Would you inflate me?” the car said at last.

Raindrops dripped into the doll’s wiry hair. “But, then you wouldn’t fit in the house,” she said. aww, this lands bc you set up the house so nicely (but; does he fit in the house now?)

“Think of all the places we could go!” The car rippled itself off the armchair and flopped into a puddle beside the doll. “You can ride in my tray! Let’s follow the stream all the way to the sea!”

The doll looked down at the inflatable car, at its flat tyres and empty, crumpled body. The car had its eyes fixed on its watery highway. It oscillated with excitement, splashing the doll’s legs with muddy water. this is good physicality

“Hold still,” she said. The doll put her rosebud mouth to the car’s nozzle and squeezed her rubbery cheeks with both arms as hard as she could. Her tufts of hair stood on end and a squeaking jet of air rushed out the tiny hole between her painted lips. She let her cheeks go and her head expanded back to its normal round shape.

The inflatable car had forgotten how good it felt to have air flowing between its folds. phwooar? It moaned with happiness. It took the doll a long time but bit by bit the car took shape. Its heart felt lighter than it had done in years and the faded grin over its bumper stretched wider than ever. i bet it did

By the time the doll, her arms exhausted and her head aching, replaced the stopper on the car’s nozzle the heavy rain had reduced to drizzle. this is comedically sexual but it sort of works because it's their first real time interaction and it's well done

“Quick, let’s go before the stream dries up!” said the car, bouncing on its fully-inflated tyres.

The doll laughed; she had never seen the car so happy. She looked around her peaceful home. The clay was a perfect consistency here, and she didn’t have to worry about seagulls. i really like the specificity of this line

“I’ll miss you,” she said.

Too late the car realised what was happening, and before it could argue the doll shoved it onto the water. nice moment, though the doll is a little C YA MY BEST AND ONLY FRIEND otoh they just had a very personal uh interaction so there's that

The current grabbed the car’s wheels and hurled it towards the fence. “I’ll never forget you!” it yelled.

“Good luck!” the doll yelled back. She ran after the car, waving with all her might, and the rushing water sped the inflatable car under the fence and into the world beyond. hmmmm i like what happens at the end, a lot, but the dialogue is regrettably bland - this is where you look back to the beginning of the story, or the title, and try and find something that sparks from there. Doesn't have to be super deep, but if you can convey the sentiment (which is basically calypso/ulysses and have a little something extra it makes the story land more sweetly. Still this is a good bit of work, the only real flaw is the places where you tell us about how the flomping car fellow feels rather than conveying it, but they are easy enough to fix

Sitting Here posted:

SITTINGICHI BRAWL ENTRY

A Walk Around the Block
1000 words

Oliver is missing. good, deceptively complex opener - works well with the rest of the story as it unfolds into different layers of what 'missing' means, but still places the action and required response

I power off my ancient-rear end Samsung phone, open its casing, yank out the battery, wait ten seconds, then put the whole thing back together again. Oliver says it helps, but only sometimes. the physicality of interacting with creaky mobile tech is well done.

‘Only sometimes’ is enough. not sure about this line, what's it adding? I'd cut.

When he’s gone longer than an hour or two, my hands start working of their own accord: disassembling and reassembling, my fingers describing a silent prayer with every familiar movement.

Today is a ‘sometimes’ day. The third i think you could have made this number a little bigger, it's a nice objective metric for how odd her behaviour must seem, 3 is a bland number time I reassemble the phone, Oliver is there as soon as it boots up. His chat icon—a picture of our deceased golden retriever, Boris—appears in the bottom left of the homescreen.

*There* you are, he sends through the app.

I could say the same thing to you! I force a smile at the phone’s camera.

It was all swirling grey fog on this side, he sends. I kept seeing things—darker spots, like shadows in the grey. I thought maybe I’d finally wound up in hell.

You are not going to hell, I send, then add an emoji with an extremely no-nonsense expression to underscore my point.

As long as I can still talk to you, I know I’m not damned yet.

My teeth clench tightly enough to creak in their sockets. I want to cut open reality, dissect it until I find whichever purgatorial pocket contains my dead boyfriend’s soul, and get him the gently caress back. Or maybe I want to go back in time and ignore that initial message; any sane person would’ve dismissed it as a scam or a cruel prank, but I couldn’t ignore the profile picture.

The photo of Boris was the very last one I’d taken before euthanasia. On the car ride to the veterinarian's office, he’d raised his head once—just once—and yawned one last big aroo. I snapped the picture while Oliver drove, both of us thinking the old dog’s death was the worst thing that could happen to us.

That last photo only existed on my phone. I’d never shared it to social media; the emotions in that moment belonged to Oliver and I. Oliver knew it was the only thing that would get my attention after he died, and he was right.

Work is total garbage today, I send. When I’m at the office, it’s easy to pretend Oliver is at home, absently replying to me while he folds towels or whatever.

His reply is instant. What’s going on?

Oh, well you know how I told you about my supervisor…

I type out a lengthy scenario, and for a moment i’m totally absorbed in the sweet banality of venting trite bullshit to my boyfriend. ty for not typing out the scenario, this is a good example of telling not showing being the right thing to do

...like, it’s totally first world problems, but that poo poo still wears me down, you know? I say in conclusion.

Oliver?

OLIVER?
not sure about the e-shouting, it comes across as melodramatic - there's probably a phone-y way you could have conveyed it?

Oliver responds as I’m peeling off the phone’s protective outer case. Sorry, things just got a bit fuzzy. I’m here.

He continues when I don’t reply: Just think of it like, sometimes I go out of cell signal range. That’s normal, right? Even when I was alive, you couldn’t see me every second of every day.

Thatwsa diferent.lol nice I mash the words out with my thumbs. Back then i knew u would be back not fade out into some fuckass purgatory. I sound like an idiot high schooler but my hands are shaking from anger and emotional exhaustion.

Except you didn’t ‘know’ I’d be back, he says, and even though he’s a whole reality away, I can hear the gentle inflections of his voice. Because one day, I walked out the door and didn’t come back.

Office life hums on around me to the tune of the over-enthusiastic air conditioner; my own grey pocket universe with its grey carpets and grey formica desks and grey people. I bite my knuckle hard enough to draw out the tang of blood so I don’t start keening.

Anyway, he sends, it’s...getting better on this side. I’ve found my way through purgatory.

Something like liquid nitrogen shoots through my veins at those words. Oliver, what does that mean?

You have to understand, Oliver says, no one has done what we’re doing right now. Maybe I love you more than anyone has ever loved another person. Maybe I’m too attached to life among the living. No one can explain why we’re able to talk like this.

Just duckign lol (though the misspelling blunts the joke a little)say what your going to say. I can feel him softening the blow, coating poison in powdered sugar.

I made it to the other side. The grey place is just transitional. But where I am now, it’s—it’s everything. It’s beyond words. It’s everything at once, and it’s all wonderful. i have to say oliver seems kind of dull, which is harsh but unfortunately that is my role i am the harsh-man

I can’t hold the agony in anymore. Stuffing the phone into the pocket of my trousers, I speedwalk to the restroom, which is blessedly empty. I sit on the tiled floor with my knees pulled up to my chest, back to the wall, body shuddering, but now that I’m alone I can’t make the tears come. however the holey moley emotional rollercoaster your protag is on is very well conveyed, it's the standout of the piece

I’ve met someone, Oliver says.

I can’t. I can’t. I can’t.

She thinks it’s best that I...let you live your life. Without me haunting you. aw man he's also a bit of a dick I MET A NEW LADY LOL SIKE SHE IS U

I should just loving die, my thumbs type of their own accord.

You shouldn’t, and you won’t, Oliver says with that distant, palpable gentleness.

You don’t know that.

It takes Oliver a long time to compose his next message. I do know. Because the person I met is...she’s you. You and I were never apart. We have always been here, in this place, together. Boris is here, too! Life—it’s just a walk around the block. You’ll see.

I can’t.

Will I suffer very much before I see you again? Did she...I….tell you?

A bit, Oliver admits. But it’ll make your homecoming that much sweeter, when it’s your time. Trust me. HE SOUNDS LIKE A CULT LEADER do not drink the flavor aid little protag avoid going into the light

Is this goodbye? I ask.

No, Oliver says, it’s ‘see you later’. or as the french (francais in the original french) might say: 'aux revoir'

The tears finally come, but I smile into the camera one last time.

See you later.

Maybe I can. so this is what if truly madly deeply but cellphones and it's a solid presentation of a solid idea. I love the intensity of her emotion and the rickety nature of the technology she's trying to channel it through. where it falls down is the bland comfy nature of her ex boyf - he's chill about being dead, nbd, just hanging in purgatory watching movies on astral netflix or w/e and so the nicely drawn intensity (while it's believable and affecting) doesn't really find a home. plus he's arguably kind of a dick though i do not believe that was the intention.

These were both solid offerings in the face of an entirely fucky prompt - nicely written, mostly, told a good small tale with lots of well drawn detail and character work. However after consultation with my co-judge, we agreed that while one story had two characters we cared about, for all that it ended weakly, the other had one strong character and a bland cardboard cutout (and possibly psychotic cult leader) . Yoruichi wins.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BeefSupreme posted:

:siren:SEBGUY BRAWL JUDGMENT:siren:

Alright I know I'm a worthless lout who can't keep a deadline, and here I am dropping a weakass brawl judgment... Thranguy wins. Both stories were entertaining, well written (in regards to prose), and short enough to not make me hurl. While I truly appreciated the efforts of both authors to adhere to the prompt and to the... unusual flash rules, Sebmojo, in my estimation, failed to refrain from giving the protagonist a discernible reason for fighting--even if it's only in one direction. Congratulations to Thranguy!

Serious crits will be coming in the next couple of days

Ahh hell :toxx: to have them done by Saturday midnight

saturday is well past in every part of the world, cough up your regrettably misguided crittythoughts or face the wheel

e: also I have a standing toxx to crit all the stories in any week that I fail in, so I'll do the merman week by 2359 pst on 2 jan

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 31, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

also:

Thinking of this as the new losertar:

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BabyRyoga posted:

If we already have a losertar and we gain another one, can we keep both?

no - it would replace the old one. No reason you can't drop the $5 and double up, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this was a strong week, and even the loser wrote some good story words. regrettably their similiarity to the story words of Stanislaw Lem's 'The Thirteenth Voyage' probably pushed them over the edge into the loss.

benny profane
extremely nice miniature of a piece, a moment really, but with dynamic tensions reaching back into the pasts of the two well described (for all they're cliche) characters. I really like the suspension of the end, it's clear what the silver thing is a metaphor for but it doesn't push the point. hm/w

yoruichi
hmmmm, a searing exploration of the half gorilla, half dinosaur condition. or rather a decent jolt of tdome wacky that pumps up the craziness of the ideas (insane chimeric protag beating a babbling monkeycheese archangel skeleton to death before angsting it up batman style is not something I envisaged reading about this morning) while basically managing the sort of slick breezy prose that is vital for this sort of silly endeavour. maybe dm for being so dumb and fluffy, we shall see

apophenium

this is what you might call high concept wacky, the literal clown building a fallout shelter is intrinsically ridiculous and the story recognises that. I think you could have placed that the protag was a clown a little more clearly early on, but that's a nitpick - I think this one hits its small/large targets very well, and though the A CLOWN... WITH NOONE LEFT TO LAUGH... is on the list of facepalmy metaphorical tropes, I think you handle it lightly enough for the story to work well on its own terms.

kaishai

i can almost smell this story, and i love the richness and matter of fact horror of your cool-eyed haruspex but I'm not sure it lands the passion that leads her to gut a nearly-entire boat of sailors - she's in love with the unmappable, the unknown, and joins with it and I think i wanted something more to convey that - as it is there is a chilly distance that is at odds with the grimy, bloody, subject matter.

armack
this is some extremely strange and strong brain juice. it is an interesting cf. with kaishais, which has a similar visceral approach to charting courses in an environment of prevalent body horror, but i think i care more about your disaffected captain. I raised an eyebrow when you cliffs noted the ending, but you know what it sort of works as a precisely delineated stroke of story telling. could maybe see an hm but I think I'll knock it back for the ending a little, since its a strong week.

m. propagandalf
this is almost a direct rip of one of ijon tichy's voyages in the Star Diaries, and the style is not dissimilar to my man Stanislaw. Lucky for you that I love Lem to bits, and this is tolerably written and made me smile faintly (though mainly, it must be admitted, because it reminded me of that weirdass story with the fish who refused to accept the existence of water. Thing is that was a really quite savage satire of communism, whereas this is a competent if wordy pastiche of Lem. dm, maybe?

antivehicular
this is a strong week, and this is unfortunately sort of dreary. there's a character, they look at some things and steal a few knicknacks, the end. the words are decent enough as I'd expect, there's some sort of vague political thing maybe with the downtrodden workers half-inching the means of production, but it's the sort of thing that a better story might have disposed of in a line then gone on to tell us something interesting. dm

flesnolk
this is some good work, you're sort of visibly straining to Write Good and can now afford to notch it back like 10% but I like the broad brushes of metaphor and humanity you achieve. the portentous mythic stuff works better when it's carried on the back of the human interactions which you do pretty well - I do think you could have made barnes more interesting with another line or two, as is he's just a strawman to fall beneath the iron-thewed gaze of MMA pigeon lady. I could also ping you for the static nature of the protag, all she does is look at things and nod at the end, but it still works overall so you may pass. maybe even hm?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

merman crits

chillock

aww this is spot on, the ridiculous premise is given the double flick flack by first having a plausible underwater fire, then having the endless pointless preparation of the protag be useless, but then! boyf to the rescue! slick, silly and even a little heartwarming.

sitting here

this is a gorgeous piece, dripping with well-crafted words and a sinewy control - it is essentially a single movement from up high to down low, but by tying that dichotomy to the old mythic standbys of sun and moon, it gives a simple premise some nice metaphorical resonance.

killer of lawyers

leaving aside how you smell clove cigarettes underwater (I'll put it in the same category as underwater tesla fires and deep sea lava flows) this is just a bit too skimpy to cut it in a week this strong. while your protag, like the one in the last story, is undertaking a simple voyage, there's no real metaphorical heft or impact to it, he's just flapping round some bars. in general if you want to make the core of your story a morsel of psychobabble, at least put some effort into making it interesting. 'validation' is bland and dull.

cptn_dr

this sort of thin 'gor bless it's christmas innit guv' yarn can work fine, but you need at least a little incident - as is he hops in the pool already basically infused with yuletide spirit so though you tell us about the shabbiness of the whole affair I don't really feel it. the point of this story is that of the christmas carol - xmas changes people, for the better, for a little while. if they're already all topped up with hail fellow well met ectect there's nothing for xmas to do and it has to sit round and get smashed on eggnog.

kaishai

you do like your glowing jewels, is a thing I've noticed about you, and this may be the apotheosis of that tendency, where basically everything is sparkling. This is ok, it does the job of piloting some slightly cardboardy merdudes into a happy festive reckoning, but I think the pretty imagery rings a little hollow when paired with the thin charicaturs (a word of my own devising). it's fine, and sits well in the middle of the pack.

thranguy

this is probably the most complicated story so far, which isn't an automatically good idea - I like a nice simple yarn with good clear lines. However it's a deserved victor because it makes a more satisfying dance of ideas than its word buddies, with the lightly scattered superhero world and finely drawn meet-cute yarn of two crazy kids gosh darn it. I think the key element is probably the nagging uncertainty of not knowing the future, which gives our invulnerable super protag an appealing vulnerability. And very strong start and finish - don't mess around with them, your readers are goldfish and have the memory of people with extremely bad memories.

flesnolk

oh ffs, again? I know, i failed this week so am objectively worse than you in this respect, but for gods sake don't do this again it's pathetic.

chucker

hmmrmmrm, as you probably know at this point in our mutual acquaintance I'm fond of your stuff for all it ploughs a relatively narrow furrow of either 'pleasingly chucker', 'not quite chucker enough' and 'possibly a little bit too chucker'. this falls into the second category - you've got your premise, which is fine if a little bland, you've got a couple of things that happen and then the story ends. What's lacking is a few stabs of genuine weirdness, and while some might welcome that as a sign of growing maturity i just look at my plate and bang my knife and fork on the table like master chief in that gif you've probably seen. While I agree with the other judgments I would have taken your hm off you and given it to chillock, sorry man i hope that doesn't retrospectively spoil ur xmas or anything

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It was edited out of the archive.