Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for all of 2017?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 8 6.50%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) 2 1.63%
:glomp: Bayley (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:smugwizard: Bray Wyatt (WWE Champion) 1 0.81%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
:regd10: Christopher Daniels (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Chuck Taylor (PWG World Champion) 7 5.69%
:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) 1 0.81%
Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) 1 0.81%
:shrug: Eli Drake (Impact Global Champion) 0 0%
:killdozer: Goldberg (WWE Universal Champion) 4 3.25%
:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) 3 2.44%
:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) 12 9.76%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 71 57.72%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 0 0%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) 0 0%
:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 2.44%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 1 0.81%
:sparkles: Naomi (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 0.81%
:miedo: Pentagon Dark (Lucha Underground Champion) 2 1.63%
Randy Orton (WWE Champion) 0 0%
:eyepop: Ricochet (PWG Champion) 0 0%
:stat: Tim Storm (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.81%
:tipshat: Toni Storm (World of Stardom Champion) 2 1.63%
:sludgepal: 2017's Champions Sucked (None of the Above) 3 2.44%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's January of 2018, so it is time to decide who Rowdy Ringsports' Champion for all of 2017 was. Each month we've voted for our champion of the month, and below are the results of each month's voting from January through December - click each month to see the final vote count.

To be eligible for voting in this final poll of the year, a wrestler need simply have been the top champion for their promotion at some time during the year of 2017 (January 1st to December 31st). Sadly there are only 25 spaces to fit into the poll, and even only taking into account those Champions who were options each month there were far more than that. As a result, I've had to prune pretty aggressively to keep the options within the poll's limits, but I've allowed a None of the Above option to hopefully take that into account. Champions pruned out as a result of low percentage of votes/shortness of title reign, status of belt/promotion etc include: Adam Cole (ROH); Alberto Del Rio (GFW); John Cena (WWE); Bobby Lashley (TNA); Charlotte (WWE); Eddie Edwards (TNA); Kyle O'Reilly (ROH); Nattie (WWE); Nick Aldis (NWA); Sasha Banks (WWE); YAMATO (Dragon Gate); Zack Sabre Jr (PWG)

The poll will run for 5 days exactly, at the end of which there will be (hopefully!) a clear winner for Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion of Champions for the year 2017. In 2006 the winner was Bryan Danielson, in 2007 Edge and Morishima shared the win, in 2008 Jericho was the clear choice for winner and 2009 was one long Summer of Punk. 2010 was the Year of The Miz (seriously!) and 2011 AND 2012 saw CM Punk return to the top spot, becoming a 3 time Champ of the Year as well as winning two consecutive years. Okada dominated 2013 and the monthly polls in a way like nobody has ever done before, and in 2014 AJ Styles' career resurgence since leaving TNA was rewarded with the Champ of the Year decision. 2015 saw the first ever Woman Champion of the Year in Bayley, even more impressive since NXT wasn't included as an option on any monthly polls (and still isn't!). Then in 2016 AJ Styles become only the second wrestler to win the yearly poll for a second time. Can he win it for a third time this year? Or will Kazuchika Okada match AJ's Two-Time Champ of the year status? Or will it be somebody else entirely?

Below are the eligible Champions, if a particular champion does not feature on this list, it is because there is a 25 option limit on polls and I simply couldn't fit them all in - sorry! To avoid any potential bias, I've listed the wrestlers in alphabetical order and simply included a list of their title defenses. Feel free to argue or promote the case of your favorite wrestler as you see fit. Remember if you vote None of the Above, specify WHO is your actual choice in the poll and maybe they could still win anyway!

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - Defeated by John Cena. Defeated Jinder Mahal twice in title matches. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (WWE Women's Champion) - Defeated Becky Lynch for Smackdown Title, lost it in 6-Pack Challenge. Defeated Bayley for Raw Title. Defeated Bayley and Nia Jax. Defeated by Sasha Banks. Defeated Sasha Banks, Bayley, Emma, Nia Jax and Mickie James. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:glomp: Bayley (WWE Women's Champion) - Defeated Charlotte, Nia Jax and Sasha Banks. Defeated by Alexa Bliss.

:smugwizard: Bray Wyatt (WWE Champion) - Won Elimination Chamber to win title. Defeated AJ Styles and John Cena. Defeated by Randy Orton.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Goldberg to win title. Defeated Samoa Joe, Braun Strowman and Roman Reigns. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:regd10: Christopher Daniels (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Adam Cole to win title. Defeated Zack Sabre Jr, El Ligero, Dalton Castle, Jay Lethal, Andrew Carter, Matt Taven and Cody. Defeated by Cody.

Chuck Taylor (PWG World Champion) - Defeated Zack Sabre Jr to win title. Defeated by Ricochet.

:spergin: Cody Rhodes (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Christopher Daniels to win title. Defeated Willie Mack, Michael Elgin, SANADA, Frankie Kazarian, Minoru Suzuki, Cheeseburger, Scorpio Sky, KUSHIDA, Ryan Nova, Rocky Romero, Christopher Daniels, Michael Richard Blais and Jay Lethal. Defeated by Dalton Castle.

Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) - Defeated Cody to win title. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:shrug: Eli Drake (Impact Global Champion) - Won 20-Man Gauntlet to win vacant title. Defeated Matt Sydal, Johnny Impact, Mascara de Bronce, Cody Hall, A1, Montego Seeka, Petey Williams, Alberto El Patron and Jack Swagger. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:killdozer: Goldberg (WWE Universal Champion) - Defeated Kevin Owens to win title. Defeated by Brock Lesnar.

:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) - Defeated Viper, Shayna Baszler, Kagetsu and Kairi Hojo. Drew against Toni Storm. Defeated by Mayu Iwatani.

:protogas: Jinder Mahal (WWE Champion) - Defeated Randy Orton to win title. Defeated Baron Corbin and Shinsuke Nakamura. Defeated by AJ Styles.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Defeated Tetsuya Naito to win title. Defeated Naomichi Marufuji, Kenny Omega, Minoru Suzuki, Katsuyori Shibata, Bad Luck Fale, Cody and EVIL. Ended 2017 as Champion.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Won Fatal Four War Elimination Match to win title. Defeated Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman. Defeated by Goldberg.

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion) - Went to Time Limit Draw against The Mack. Defeated The Mack and Rey Mysterio Jr. Defeated by Prince Puma.

:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Defeated YAMATO to win title. Defeated Susumu Yokosuka and Ryo Saito. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) - Defeated Io Shirai to win title. Defeated Yoko Bito and Kagetsu. Defeated by Toni Storm.

:sparkles: Naomi (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Defeated Alexa Bliss to win title. Defeated by Alexa Bliss. Won 6-Pack Challenge to win title. Defeated Alexa Bliss, went to No-Contest against Charlotte Flair. Defeated Lana. Defeated by Natalya.

:miedo: Pentagon Dark (Lucha Underground Champion) - Defeated Prince Puma. Ended 2017 as Champion.

Randy Orton (WWE Champion) - Defeated Bray Wyatt to win title. Defeated by Jinder Mahal.

:eyepop: Ricochet (PWG Champion/LU Champion) - Defeated Johnny Mundo to win Lucha Underground Title. Defeated by Pentagon Dark. Defeated Chuck Taylor to win PWG title. Defeated Zack Sabre Jr. Ended 2017 as PWG Champion.

:stat: Tim Storm (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Lost by DQ to Big Daddy Yum Yum. Defeated Nick Aldis and Jocephus. Defeated by Nick Aldis.

:tipshat: Toni Storm (World of Stardom Champion) - Defeated Mayu Iwatani to win title. Defated Bea Priestley and Mercedes Matrinez. Ended 2017 as Champion.

:sludgepal: 2017's Champions Sucked (None of the Above) - If none of these Champions are to your liking, None of the Above is a perfectly valid option to represent your views. Or you could write-in who you actually wanted to vote for - if enough people write in the same, that Champion could still win!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Given the overall state of 2017, I think there's only one champion that perfectly encapsulates the year as a whole.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

It could only be the one, the only, THE RAAAAAAAINMAKEEEEEEEER! :homebrew:

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

CERO. MIEDO.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bray Wyatt somehow managed to be a worse champion than Jinder Mahal

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Xerzes posted:

CERO. MIEDO.

Ah yes the man who did not win or defend his title this year. Definitely the guy to vote for over the greatest champion on Earth NWA World Historic Middleweight Champion Ultimo Guerrero.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lucha Underground literally ran zero shows in 2017 and anyone who votes for them should be instantly permabanned

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 3, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It looks like 16 people misclicked when trying to vote for Jinder, can you fix that Jerusalem? Thanks.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Ah yes the man who did not win or defend his title this year. Definitely the guy to vote for over the greatest champion on Earth NWA World Historic Middleweight Champion Ultimo Guerrero Tim Storm.

10 pounds of gold.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

10 pounds of gold.

He lost and is thus ineligible.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada gonna warm the seat here for Naito to win it next year

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Okada was intentionally taken away months ago for no other reason than to build up a desire to vote for him and make this poll as boring as possible

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerusalem really wants Okada to warm his seat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When Okada won the Yearly poll in 2013 I thought he was unbelievably good. The Okada of 2017 would clown that guy which is pretty goddamn amazing, if he actually continues to get better it is gonna be crazy.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

It at least warms my heart, that Jinder is second.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

These champions are crap, i throw all their belts in the air and spit and stomp on the belts. There is only one champion that matters and he wins the belt in a few hours at Wrestle Kingdom

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anyone who votes for jinder, even as a joke, should be probated until AJ loses the title.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
There's a whole lot of people I love on that list, but none were as good as Okada, with as good a year. Like I love Chucky T, but was he champ of the year?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
vote for Jinder Mahal

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for Jinder, not because he is/was a good champion, but more because his reign was important/interesting/indicative of stuff that happened this year.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I voted for Io.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Voted for the thinking man's champion, Kazuchika Okada.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
might as well call it for okada jesus

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know maybe some people want to change their vote after he went into business for himself and shot on Naito.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Tim Storm or you're racist

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't expect Gedo to see the thread title and provide the answer at WK 12 :stare:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, J-Ru... the answer is no. It's always no. What part of different level did you not understand?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, J-Ru... the answer is no. It's always no. What part of different level did you not understand?

My faith wavered, Gedo's never will. He is truly deserving of being Okada's prophet and also his dad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On a related note, Gedo may actually be my favourite manager in wrestling right now. Yes, even over Heyman.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

:miedo: Forever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still time to vote, still time for Chuck Taylor to make a spectacular late rally!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Still time to vote, still time for Chuck Taylor to make a spectacular late rally!

I love Chuck, I really do, but even I voted for Okada.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love Chuck, I really do, but even I voted for Okada.

I'm sure he understands.... Trent!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
little kazu is a phone perv. vote for greg's friend justin

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Easy okada vote.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Guys, you may want to double-check the poll. There seems to be some kind of ghost entry error going on or something. That's the only possible explanation I can come up with for Jinder Mahal winding up with more than zero votes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

chuckie t 4 lyfe

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Please don't hinder Jinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In a shocking turn of events foreseen by nobody except for EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD, the winner of 2017's Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Year: Gedo's perfect son and perhaps also a living God, Kazuchika Okada! One of the best years any Champion has ever had both booking AND wrestling wise, a year that included Okada being involved in THREE matches that all rated Six Stars out of a possible Five (one of which rated HIGHER than six stars!). Results for this year and all previous years can be found below, if anybody can source me a higher quality image of the IWGP Championship belt I'd really appreciate it too :)

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

• Locked thread