Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Junior Title 4 Way
HM: Tanahashi vs White
MOTYC: Jericho vs Omega
MOTYC: Okada vs Naito

Edit: Watched the undercard

HM: RP3K vs Bucks
HM: Goto vs Suzuki
HM: Cody vs Ibushi

I've seen maybe one or two shows with so many matches around four stars.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: El Imposible vs Dr. Cerebro Ladder Match Inside a Steel Cage, IWRG 1/1

You've dreamed about it for years, what if they ran a ladder match inside a steel cage? Well IWRG did on their all steel cage show and it was dumb as gently caress. First off the ladder could not be used for 10 minutes and to win you had to escape the cage with the belt. It's a really stupid, bad match that is well worth your 20 minutes to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IZ875xn-c

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

That sort of sounds like the Dixieland match TNA ran once. Except once you escaped the cage, you needed a ladder to claim the belt on the stage in order to win.

I know it's hard for things to be worse than TNA but this is worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

In concept at least having the belt hanging inside so you have to get it with a ladder then escape the cage sounds superior to escaping the cage then getting the belt with a ladder elsewhere.

But the cage doesn't seem like it would bring any cool ladder spots you couldn't normally do.

In the cage you have no incentive to not let the other guy just take the belt down so you can steal it and climb out, which is exactly what happens. So it just becomes two guys trying to climb a cage with a ladder. At least with the dumb TNA gimmick you want to be the only guy outside the cage so you can climb the ladder.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Tim Storm vs Jocephus, NWA Empty Impact Zone Match, 1/14

Do you like Tim Storm screaming the same three phrases over and over? Do you want to see Jocephus' undies? Do you want to see the slowest brawl of the year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsKqNCnTi20

This is for you!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

I knew I should have been concentrating on the match but I couldn't take my eyes off that gigantic referee :stare:

You noticed the ref but not the ice cream cone on Mephisto's head? I'll second the HM.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC for Sanada vs Okada.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Vader's WWF run is both underrated/huge missed opportunity and another check mark of why 90's Shawn was horrible backstage

Yeah but it's great that in this case Shawn hosed over an even bigger dick/baby.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC

Rush and El Terrible vs Volador Jr and Ultimo Guerrero 2/23 CMLL

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Please keep the junior tag titles there are plenty of juniors and the matches are almost always good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Would that be the 4th bad Chamber match in history? 06 (Edge's cash in doesn't count!) then the Extreme Elimination Chamber, the IC EC and then this?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Volador Jr vs Cavernario 3/5 CMLL Arena Puebla

Just a horrible finish.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC: Angel De Oro vs El Cuatrero, CMLL Dos Leyendas

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

WMOTY La Parka & Pagano vs Dave The Clown & Hijo del Dr. Wagner Jr. - AAA 3/17

Featuring La Parka hitting Hijo de Tirantes with his dick, Dave the Clown’s mask coming off, two run-ins, other classic Tirantes bits, and also Hijo de Wagner somehow getting a hat in the middle of the match.

Honestly it had a few of the funniest moments but it was also legit 30 minutes long.
http://twitter.com/luchablog/status/975205684521259008

SECONDED

Someone better third this even without watching it. There will not be a worse match this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NuclearPotato posted:

Nth, but I'm willing to bet there will be worse this year. AAA might take this nomination as a challenge if they somehow ever hear about it.

There might be dumber matches but it's going to be tough to find a worse match. It's such a nothing match and it goes 30+. CMLL has Puebla lower card matches that regularly go 20+ minutes but even when they are awful stuff at least happens, or the guys are a little more competent at doing nothing. They did nothing, they sucked at it and the match was awful, plus it was overbooked. This is a tough one to top. Even the Copa Triplemania has stuff happening for over half an hour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Team Taguchi USA vs LiJ, Strong Style Evolved

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Five stars to Okada vs ZSJ for the fans who repeatedly double high fived after Okada won.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: MÍSTICO, VOLADOR JR. Y EL VALIENTE (CAMPEONES)
vs
CARÍSTICO, ÚLTIMO GUERRERO Y GRAN GUERRERO

4/2 CMLL Arena Puebla

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Cactus Jack vs Sabu (Desert Death match Falls Count Anywhere)

MOTYC: Cactus Jack vs Sabu (Desert Death Match 2, Cage Match with Weapons)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'm gonna need context on this please.

Desert Death Match 1 would've been a MOTYC but it lost a bit due to the Warrior Workout promo and entrance music overdubbing the match audio repeatedly. Saby moonsaulting through a table on purpose post match made up for it though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

The Braun match has the rare but not unheard of distinction of being successfully nominated as both a MOTYC and a WMOTYC

Edit: Asuka vs Charlotte has been updated to MOTYC

I think this has only happened at Wrestlemania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC

Caristico vs Mistico 4/9 CMLL Arena Puebla

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A dishonorable mention of the year would be a match that is on the borderline of being a worst match of the year candidate but didn't quite reach those lowly requirements.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GenericMartini posted:

I'll nth HM Caristico vs. Mistico

I'll third this since there are moral cowards who would not give it a full MOTY nod.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Random four-match series recommendation, although I would go HM for the final meeting hair vs hair:

Dr. Cerebro vs Ricky Marvin – IWRG – 03/2018
03/04 – One Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBx3qhnvdsGOOD
03/11 – One Fall, Super Libre (No DQ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnJs-ROgKcFUN
03/18 – IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Championship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5l2JKpdk8GOOD
03/25 – Hair vs Hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26bhrLDgGccGREAT
Ricky Marvin came to IWRG and wrestled Dr. Cerebro every Sunday in March, with escalating stakes. Marvin’s having an incredible 2018 so far since leaving AAA for the Mexican indies. I found all the matches to be enjoyable but the final encounter was especially great. World veteran vs. local veteran is a solid premise for a feud and they did excellent technical wrestling and brawling in this series.

Very excited that Dr. Brain is back to good matches after the Ladder Match in a Steel Cage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Boco_T posted:

Random four-match series recommendation, although I would go HM for the final meeting hair vs hair:

Dr. Cerebro vs Ricky Marvin – IWRG – 03/2018
03/04 – One Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBx3qhnvdsGOOD
03/11 – One Fall, Super Libre (No DQ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnJs-ROgKcFUN
03/18 – IWRG Intercontinental Middleweight Championship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5l2JKpdk8GOOD
03/25 – Hair vs Hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26bhrLDgGccGREAT
Ricky Marvin came to IWRG and wrestled Dr. Cerebro every Sunday in March, with escalating stakes. Marvin’s having an incredible 2018 so far since leaving AAA for the Mexican indies. I found all the matches to be enjoyable but the final encounter was especially great. World veteran vs. local veteran is a solid premise for a feud and they did excellent technical wrestling and brawling in this series.

Seconding the 3/25 match. Someone third MMM Doctor Brain.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Added it, somebody please check that I got the details right.

Yes although I am skeptical IWRG stands for anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: DALYS vs KAHO KOBAYASHI CMLL 4/23 Arena Puebla

Kaho is a great plucky babyface, and they do a great job of going by feel here. There's a clunky spot that Dalys improvises off of and just adds to the match. Then Dalys starts bullying Kaho with some of the most brutal looking hair spots you have ever seen. Probably totally safe, but brutal. Great match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

2nd. I don't know what I expecting when you said brutal hair spots, but those were sufficiently brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6kj6IsAL4w&t=3961s

The second time they did it in the corner I'm like "Ok, it can't be that bad, I know she's grabbing her arms" and still screamed when she threw her.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM for Juice vs Goto

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Kraneo vs Rush, CMLL Arena Mexico 4/27

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GenericMartini posted:

I wasn't that big on it, but I enjoyed Kraneo and Rush being dick so nth

I really liked the structure of the match, it was kind of non traditional, but the long heat in the first two falls made for a hot second half of the second fall. Rush being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world is obviously the cherry on top.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM
Shockwave The Robot vs Bill Carr
Massage NV Vs The Beaver Boys

Beyond Wrestling: Welcome Home Night 2 4/29

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Rush vs Mesias vs LA Park, MDA 4/29

This made me want to see an LA Park/Rush tag team. Not as wild as some Rush/LA Park brawls but Mesias added something as did Rush continually trying to ally and avoid a fight with any one. Finish was predictable but surprising at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwO5Trk-Ntw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Her vanquishing bullies is the story of the match, it's like a dude crying as he takes off his mask or gets his hair cut.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

HM: Rollins/Miz
WMOTYC: Nia/Alexa
WMOTYC: Charlotte/Carmella
WMOTYC: Roman/Joe

I can't remember the last time a show fell off the cliff that badly after a hot opener. Total garbage.

I could list off a bunch of WCW PPVs but WCW fans were at least smart enough to stop coming when the company kept insulting them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Deep roster of talent but bad booking? The only thing keeping them from being WCW is the fact they are actually making money not losing money

WCW made more money than any company in wrestling history before they ran their fanbase off!

It's literally impossible for WWE to go out of business but hey maybe they can surprise us.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

As much as that sucked we aren't on the same continent of wcw at its worst

Just remember that it wasn't when WCW was at their worst that they started running off fans. The booking of this show sounded more like Superbrawl 99 or Uncensored 99 than NBR or Halloween Havoc 2000. Shows that could have been good and somewhat satisfying but booked in completely insulting ways.

Both may have received 3 WMOTYCs too!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like you've been on this WWE IS FOLLOWING THE WCW PROPHECY for a long while now and wwe is still coasting along fine and making money and has a huge network subscriber base

I don't think I've ever said anything like this. The most I've ever critiqued their business plan is that they'd be making way more money if they stuck to PPV and used the Network as a supplemental thing. In fact I've been one of the staunchest defenders of the Reigns push and the positive business indicators behind it. I also said it was literally impossible for them to go out of business on this same page.

What I am doing is making fun of WWE's fans who come to these shows to get poo poo on by saying WCW fans were smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WM X didn't have two ***** matches, and KOTR 94 wasn't the next month but it was the next show and it sure was bad.