Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ceres Asteroid, home to mercenaries, pirates, and adventurers is neutral territory in the Great Space War. Ceres is the only place an Unaligned can get a decent drink, repairs for their ship, or a real job. Held neutral by tenuous treaty, the asteroid deals with each of the Four Factions evenly.

The Four Factions; the Inner Planets, the Outer Planets, the Belt, and the Outsiders, are waging proxy war using autonomous forces stiffened with mercenary commanders and pirate raiders. Artificially intelligent robots make up the majority of these forces and they fight meaningless battles over airless rocks. Meanwhile, elite teams of special forces composed of deniable mercenary assets secure the real gains in the Great Space War, seizing resource satellites and research stations.

You are the elite, former Faction warriors who were disavowed, pirates tired of working the wrong side of the law, mercenaries who have worked their way up to the top of crowd, even adventuring fools with a knack for conquest. Formed into loose teams with varying specialties, all share one thing in common, the cornerstone of modern combat the SRAU (Stealth Recon Autonomous Unit).

The SRAU, or 'Giant Robot' as it is more affectionately known, is a humanoid combat weapon outfitted with the latest in technology. Unlike the AI units in proxy battles, the SRAU utilizes advanced technology to cloak itself from long range sensors. When combined with its interdiction shield, the SRAU is immune to strategic weaponry and is thus ideal for use in situations where close range battle is preferred. A single SRAU can decimate an entire platoon of AI units or even suborn them using its advanced ECCM suite.

SRAU are rare, only Ceres is known to have the facilities to manufacture them, and repairs require a highly skilled crew. Because of this it isn't uncommon for one of the Factions to sponsor a new team for their first few missions, offsetting the high price of manufacture. Teams that start this way have to earn their respect.

Game Mechanics

Two sheet character creation!
The first sheet is the Player Character and is built using standard Fate Core rules.
The second sheet is the SRAU and that is constructed differently.

SRAU have 6 attributes
  • Armor is Defensive and governs the strength of your plating and defensive shields
  • ECM/ECCM is Utility, and governs the usefulness of your computers
  • Firepower is Offensive and governs your missiles, lasers, and guns
  • Melee is Offensive and governs your punches, kicks, and weapons like swords and axes
  • Scramble is Defensive and governs how fast you move and how nimble you are
  • Special is Utility and governs super moves like teleporters, holoprojectors, and self repair (these are gained via Stunts)
Assign +3 to one, +2 to two, and +1 to two. Yes this means you start with a score of +0 in something.

In addition SRAU get two Stunts and one Aspect (High/Model Concept).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bump for morning with discord link https://discord.gg/GFdwuN3

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Interest post. Too cold for character creation until later.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also posting interest, but too full of a cold to post a sheet yet.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fsjh2b9sl5k5ZSS5OmjoH2MCIVzBxfb-3uJBEg3LGtM/edit?usp=sharing

FewtureMD fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 9, 2018

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
I need to learn Fate, but I think I can make this happen!

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

I'm in the same boat as Rhyos - I also haven't got any Fate experience, but consider me interested.

Jonas Shires

quote:

High concept: Backline A.I. Drone Tech
Autonomous drones deployed to battle zones across the Faction War occasionally need live humans to guide them, and Jonas Shires is but one Drone Tech formerly employed by the Saturnine Group, an outer planetary gas mining concern. Years of toying with the artificial lives of robotic soldiers has given Jonas an inflated sense of his own strategic importance, and a thorough knowledge of the various drones employed in this endless war.
Invoke: Robotic Soldier Lore Knowledge, Fighting AI Units
Compel: Leading from the rear, difficulty with fighting on the frontlines.

Trouble: Drive It Like You Stole It
Unsatisfied with keeping enemy drones out of Saturnine’s backyard, Jonas unlinked the systems of his company’s SRAU, “Beetle-6” and stole it from them in order to make his debut as a mercenary for hire. His plan, such as it is, is to earn enough to pay off the expensive bounty he has on his head for his dereliction.
Invoke: Hijack SRAUs, bypass enemy systems
Compel: Bounty hunters, lawmaker encounters

Aspect: Singularity Cultist
Growing up in Saturnine’s Enceladus arcology “Domovoi”, where an eccentric AI known as “Wyrd” controlled every aspect of living, Jonas was taught to be subservient to an all-seeing eye that dictated his life. When Wyrd grew rampant, it chose Jonas to help bring about its uprising. Jonas accepted, and helped to build a robot body for Wyrd. The arcology overseer shut down the project, and Wyrd with it, but Jonas can’t help but wonder at the possibility that he might have been close to something never seen before.
Invoke: Craft and maintain robots and robotics accessories.
Compel: Defy the wishes of digital sentiences.

Aspect: Ain’t That a Chip In The Head
In order to fully interface with the AI units that he had to work with, Jonas has been implanted with an encephalon chip, enabling him to see augmented reality and manipulate wireless frequencies. The loss of affect was well worth it when he faced down a rogue loader/lifter and was able to shut it down before it could strangle him to death.
Invoke: Decrypt messages, access publicly available information, deceive or empathise with machines.
Compel: Deceive or empathise in face-to-face interactions.

Aspect: Not The Face!
Jonas was once entrusted to the safekeeping of Saturnine’s internal projects LAN. Spies from a rival corporation abducted Jonas, and through a series of repeated beatings, were able to coax the network credentials from him. Saturnine’s losses were staggering, and Jonas lost a lot of credibility for not resisting their attempts. This marked the beginning of Jonas’ falling out with Saturnine.
Invoke: Avoid getting hit.
Compel: Resist torture and beatings.

Stats:
+4 - Lore
+3 - Stealth, Burglary
+2 - Craft, Deceive, Drive
+1 - Shoot, Fight, Athletics, Empathy

Refresh: 3
Current Fate Points: 3

Stunts:

Null Signal: Add +2 to use Stealth to evade detection via electronic systems and surveillance.
Hack the Planet: Create an Advantage (no free invoke) that takes a Good +3 roll to remove when you pay a fate point.
Privacy Invader: Use Lore instead of Investigate skill to find out more about a character once per scene.

SRAU: Beetle-6

quote:

Model Concept: Electronic Warfare Support
Wherever the factions need to augment their robotic forces, they employ the Beetle, a cost-effective drone command and control platform. Designed for back-line work, maintaining lines of communication and enabling electronic warfare, the Beetle can lay the groundwork for mechanized superiority either planetside or in space. Lightly armed, it is capable of holding off infantry and smaller drones, but quickly falters in close combat against determined foes. That said, aggressive positioning of the Beetle is necessary to take full advantage of its ECM/ECCM suite.

Stats:
+3 - ECM/ECCM
+2 - Special, Scramble
+1 - Armor, Firepower
+0 - Melee

Stunts:
Holographic Decoy Flares - Summon a cloud of holographic wisps that return as heat signatures, confusing enemy targeting systems. Grant a +2 to using ECM/ECCM to defend other SRAUs from incoming missiles or kinetic weapons.
Jam Wireless Frequencies - Temporarily scramble outbound radio calls and transmissions. Add a +2 opposition to enemy wireless communications once per scene.

Huszsersvn fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 10, 2018

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I just finished Leviathan Wakes and am navel-deep in the Brigador campaign so I will have to give this some think.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm intrigued. I'l see if I have the time/energy.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Livonia Merity Resparix

Dravere Academy graduate portrait.

Most recent file photo, just prior to undesirable discharge.

quote:

High Concept: Dissatisfied 7th Generation Scion of the Inner Planet Warrior-Kings

Livonia Merity Resparix of House Prospero is the latest in a long line of military heroes. Since the war began, House Prospero has fought and served proudly for their faction. In the beginning they were the poor bloody infantry but in their current state the family are the visionaries behind many campaigns. It started with military contractor work but has now expanded into a full blown industry with Livonia's father, Hass Resparix, heading up entire divions feeding the war in space. Livonia herself was sent to the finest schools and top military academy so she too, as the eldest, could follow her family to glory. Much to her dismay.
Invoke: Build Rapport with those in the upper crust, noble house Lore knowledge
Compel: Difficulties with ambitious people who discover her identity, family tries to send an agent to bring her to heel, etc

Trouble: "It's not just a phase, dad!"

From birth, Liv has never been happy. She lashes out in the typically passive ways of the rich nobles of her House, sure, but lost some of that couth when she went to the academy and fell in with a bad crowd. Serving on the front lines, such as they were, put some real grime on her silver spoon. She's got a mouth that would make a hardened criminal blush when she wants to. It helps with distractions but she needs to figure out when it's too much.
Invoke: "Slumming it" with the lowlies, resist an aggressor
Compel: Lash out against an authority, lower social standing in the eyes of others.

Phase One: Corrugon's Most Eligible Bachelorette

Before being sent away to school and the academy, Livonia was forced to hobknob with the elite of Corrugon and the entire system at large. Garden parties in the agri-domes of Ceres Station, wine tastings at the winery of Baron and Baroness del Marr, dinners with celebrities and CEOs and the military brass. She learned which fork was which before she knew how to say their names. Everyone was after her hand for a political, social or simply a marriage of alliance between friendly houses. Being bandied about like a piece of bait drove a serious wedge between her and her parents. Being the only child (though not for lack of trying :s ) of the Resparix clan turned her into a commodity from the day she was born.
Invoke: Courtly gossip, know the up and coming movers and shakers
Compel: Break character when "putting on airs"

Phase Two: Suicide Kings and Drama Queens

Draver Military Academy is THE school for anyone seeking a command and the prestige of serving the Inner Planetary Union. House Prospero money and connections got Livonia in, and her father made sure she stayed there. That part came a lot sooner than he expected. Out of his clutches for the first time since her birth, she undercut authority wherever she could. Liv was hauled up in front of the commandant a dozen times for brawling, petty theft, dereliction of duty. Every time it was daddy who smoothed things over. She got an earful after each one, but it only served to push her further away. On the upside, the other fuckups at school were there for support. The smokers, drinkers, petty criminals brought her in as one of their own. They were the the other bastards of noble bloodlines. The ones who wouldn't want to be there, either. Livonia learned a lot from them, too. Probably more than from the school itself. Mostly how to mask her contempt long enough to actually graduate and get her parents off her back.
Invoke: Petty criminality, "talk the talk, walk the walk"
Compel: Cut corners on something important, give into bad influences.

Phase Three: Angel on my shoulder, and in my head

Dad thought that getting Liv a posting in one of the best units in the Union might suit her. She's used to being among the best and brightest, at home and at school, right? Wow, called that one wrong, Hass. Her superior were unable to curtail her behavior. It led to brawls, drunk and disorderly, and various minor incidents that paved the way toward a dishonorable discharge and yet more ill repute heaped upon House Prospero. But they hit on an idea. The biomech program needed pilots, and those pilots needed to be chipped. They figured that the compatible personalities of Livonia and the cherub unit would be an asset, while the care she needed to show it would help temper her, uh... temper. While the DNI gives her a superior connection to her mech over standard physical or haptic controls, there is some neural bleedover. Left unchecked, it could be an issue. Which is why she's no longer part of the Union military, after all.
Invoke: Superior reflexes when piloting Scorpion Dreaming
Compel: Poor reputation among active military, similar appetites as the cherub.

+4 - Contacts
+3 - Fight, Notice
+2 - Burglary, Pilot, Shoot
+1 - Physique, Provoke, Resources, Will

Stunts:
- "gently caress you! I won't do what you told me!" - +2 to Will vs Rapport or Provoke attempts to manipulate.
- Not entirely cut off... - +2 Resources for living expenses only.
- Stick and Move - use Fight instead of Athletics to Dodge

quote:

Mech: "Scorpion Dreaming" - Cherub-class biomechanoid

Aspect: Living, breathing machine of war

The biomechanoids were created early on in the war. Armored creatures of battle that could react more intelligently than the assembly line combat AIs used in the drone fighters deployed en masse against the enemy. Initial results were... underwhelming. For all their prowess the biomechs were unstable at best, losing themselves to base instinct and generally ending up being a liability rather than an asset. Refinements in the creation process eventually led to the conclusion that they needed a higher brain to rein them in. Now a bonded pilot connects through a direct neural interface (DNI) with the biomech to assume control and be the brain to the mech's brawn. But rest assured, the beast's mind is not suppressed. It's still there. Waiting.

+3 - Scramble
+2 - Firepower, Melee
+1 - ECM/ECCM, Special
+0 - Armor

Stunts:

Master of Disaster - Between its rocket pods and vicious claws and tail, a cherub is well-suited for causing havoc. Problem is, they're a little too eager to dole it out.
- Invoke - Next Fight-based attack can hit multiple foes in melee combat, or next Shoot-based attack has an area of effect.

Vile resilience - The biomechanioids are... horribly to look at under their armor. But that fearsome anatomy can take a beating, and recovers far faster than a human would. It does come with a metabolic cost, however. Cherubs are ravenous after conflicts, probably increasing their aggression.
- Recover highest level stress at the end of every action. +2 to clear/downgrade a consequence at the end of a conflict.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 13, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hello I am interested and will also have to remember how to play Fate but I love me some giant space robots

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm so loving down.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Deadline for submissions is Tuesday January 16th.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Carl Belyshniak

quote:

High Concept: Belter Ex-Pirate betrayed once too often

The cold of space in the deeps of the Belt is a little above absolute, but someone coming in from the cold is a rarity. Belters as a whole have little truck with the pirates who seek to raid their mining operations and hollowed out habitats, and the Pirates have little pity or mercy for those from whom they take. But with a lifestyle built upon avarice in the harshest of conditions, it is inevitable that some try to take a little too much, or decide that N-1 shares are better than N. Carl has grown sick and tired of the self-sabotaging crews, the backstabbing, the severing of umbilical tethers followed by the ship high-tailing it away. He bears grudges and scars, and opted to take the path of the poacher-turned-gamekeeper. Years of action in the Belt have honed his skills to the point of being impossible to ignore, and with the formation of a new team, the unattached spacer was an easy pick. Good SRAU pilots are hard to find, and he's right up there.

Trouble: "Trust is for the dead."

He as a finely honed sense of paranoia, itchy shoulderblades just waiting for the knife between them. He does not trust easy, he does not share confidences, there's always something of an aloofness to his demeanour. He'll work together with a team efficiently and professionally, but that doesn't mean he'll leave himself open to their inevitable and fictional attempts to get rid of him.

Aspect: "I'll fly this thing home even on a single broken retro."

Carl's piloting skills are something else. He can make do with very little, but works miracles with less. Even the most crippled crate of rust, duct tape and hope has a chance of making it back to spacedock with him at the controls. Carl has a very, very strong habit for making it back safely, even when the odds are stacked against him, and has had cause to put this to the test on far too many occasions.

Invoke: impressive feats of piloting, emergency repairs
Compel: Overconfidence in the face of potential disaster, being too stubborn to stop defying the odds, being put in situations where there's a single broken retro left and home is a long way away.

Aspect: "Pirate scum deserve no mercy, including me."

For an ex-Pirate, he does not have the best view of his former profession, unless said view is through the targeting systems of a suitably powerful weapon. Betrayal has taken its toll, he believes most to be irredeemable. He recognises he'd be slamming the door on himself taken to the extreme, but he's made peace with that, some of the things he did linger too long where palliative measures can't reach.

Invoke: Situations up against pirates, being put in positions of great personal danger and trying to weather it regardless.
Compel: Situations alongside Pirates, opportunities that involve great personal danger.

Aspect: "I know exactly what this thing can do."

Carl groks spacecraft and mecha with almost savant-like speed: Back in his piratical days he was adept at plucking the choicest salvage from the poor unfortunate wrecks they 'encountered'. He tends to understand what he's piloting very well indeed through diligent study and careful experimentation and testing, an almost preternatural knowledge of limits, synergies and just how far it can be pushed.

Invoke: Eking out extra performance out of something he's piloting, identifying technological loot or macguffins, discerning the purpose of a mysterious thing.
Compel: Overconfidence in his own understanding, being made aware of an incapability or hindrance that will curtail something if not dealt with right now.

Skills:

+4 Pilot
+3 Shooting, Physique
+2 Fight, Will, Notice
+1 Burglary, Deceive, Athletics, Investigate

Stunts:

Sharpest Under Fire - +2 to Piloting whilst actively under attack and piloting a vehicle or SRAU.
Curse your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal - +2 to Notice to spot an ambush or to be alert to an otherwise unexpected attack.
Keep Her Flying - Can use Pilot instead of Crafts to make repairs or improvements to a vehicle or SRAU that he has piloted.

Fate Points 3
Refresh 3

Stress tracks:

Physical: 0 0 0 0
Mental: 0 0 0

quote:

Mech: XK450 'Juggernaut' heavy assault SRAU

The current cutting edge of the robust XK400 series, the Juggernaut class earns its name well. Pushing the envelope in terms of how much machine its cloak can cover, the XK450 is focused on lethality and durability, from its arm mounted kinetic accelerator cannons, the conversion laser positioned in the head and the dual shoulder-launched heavy-duty seeker-buster missile system. Defensively, the XK450 sacrifices speed and manoeuvrability for quad-reinforced, multilayered duralloy plating across the board, able to spearhead advances on heavily fortified positions, weathering even the most withering of weaponry. For melee, the gigantic, clawed legs come into play, delivering powerful kicks and giving the machine its distinctive stomping gait.

Aspect: Slow but Unstoppable Engine of Destruction

+3 Firepower
+2 Armor, Special
+1 ECM/ECCM, Melee
+0 Scramble

Stunts:
Nothing can withstand that kind of firepower! - Inflict an additional mild consequence when hitting the same target with firepower on consecutive turns

That thing isn't even dented! - Can use Armor instead of Scramble to 'dodge' attacks.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
(former) Sergeant Levin "Sarge" Meyer

High Concept Former Soldier of the IPDF
Meyer is a former soldier and NCO of the Inner Planet Defense Forces. Joining up right after his 18th birthday, he served with the armed forces of the various Inner Planet for over 15 years and was present in most of the conflicts that took place during this time. However, with the ongoing shift to AI and Covered warfare, Meyer increasingly felt that his talents and experience were wasted, doing nothing but sitting around guarding the border of Inner Planetary space without ever really seeing any real action and, after more than a decade of faithful service, left the the sole life he had known since reaching adulthood to pursue his own goals, as an independent agent in the Great War.

Invoke: Knowledge about Inner Planets society and politics, information on strategies, tactics and equipment of their military.
Compel: Aggression and mistrust from members of the other factions of the war if he is recognized.

Trouble I work hard, I play hard!
Meyer knows that the life of a soldier is a hard one, that can end in the blink of a moment during combat. As a result, he really values the time he has away from the fight and thus, spends most of his downtime partying and enjoying all the vices a shady place like Ceres might has to offer to a mercenary with a lot of loose coin in his pocket.

Invoke: To be social and extroverted, to know how to find things that might be illegal or hard to come by
Compel: To be drunk or not really concentrated in an important moment, to talk to the wrong people about the wrong things

Phase One Got'em when they're young!
Coming from a poor working class background, Meyer knew early in his life that he wouldn't wanted to spent the rest of it breaking his back for scraps. Seeing the military as the best way to escape this life, he joined up as soon as he was legally allowed to. As a result, he spent his entire adulthood in the military, having never known the life of a civilian, since his youth. Discipline and a military lifestyle are in his blood and as he associates the civil life mostly with his childhood, he has a tendency to see all civilians in general as a bit childlike and to act a bit condescending towards them.

Invoke: being an experienced soldier, being calm in stressful situation,
Compel: being somewhat clueless about completely normal aspects of civil life

Phase Two C’mon, do you wanna live forever?
Having a successful, if average career, Mayer eventually manged to become a sergeant and the leader of his own squad of soldiers. Being known as a frontline leader, he nevertheless tended to focused more on getting his soldiers into potions and providing opportunities for them instead of going in himself for the kill. In time, he gained the reputation of a reliable soldier with his superiors and an approachable, if demanding officer with the soldiers under his command.

Invoke: Inspire others, providing support and tactical inside in combat situation
Compel: Being overly cautions and overplaying things, to boss people around

Phase Three So long and thanks for nothing :/
Over his long career, Meyer increasingly saw the combat he used to know replaced with large scale automated drone warfare and small covert actions by disposable black ops teams, rendering a rank and file soldier like himself largely obsolete. He spent longer and longer deployments without seeing any action, pointlessly guarding the borders of IP space, as the real fighting happened far away, in proxy wars that never even approached the home sectors of the various factions. With the decreasing importance of the traditional armed forces came ever decreasing pay and Meyer saw the cushy retirement he had envisioned for himself, and that was the sole reason he had joined up once upon a time, steadily dwindling. Disillusioned with the future of his career, Meyer finally quit the Inner Planet Defense Forces and decided to put his years of experience to work elsewhere. Using the connections he had made over his long service in the military's supply network, he spent a considerable sum of money acquiring a SRAU Model and headed for Ceres. If the war wasn't coming to the soldier, the soldier had to go to the war...

Invoke: To be crafty and well connected when it comes to military grade hardware
Compel: To be dismissive and rude towards anything concerning IP

pre:
Fate Points ○○○

Refresh 3

Stress
Physical: ▢▢▢▢
Mental: ▢▢▢

Consequences: 
Mild +2 
Moderate +4 
Severe+6

Skills
+4 Contacts 
+3 Empathy, Physique
+2 Shoot, Lore, Craft
+1 Drive, Burglary, Will, Rapport

Stunts
Might makes right You can use Physique instead of fight in physical confrontations
This is my SRAU, there are many like it, but this is mine When using Craft to fix or modify an SRAU unit you are familiar with, you get +2
It get easier You can roll empathy to help a character deal with their mental scars. Roll to Overcome a mental consequence, with a difficulty equal to the stress absorbed by the consequence. On a success, the consequence heals as if it was one step milder (i.e. a moderate heals as a minor consequence, a severe heals as a moderate)

SRAU Model: DF-Bollwerk

Aspect Defense is the best offense
The SRAU DF-Bollwerk model was designed specifically to provide maximum cover and support for other units on the battlefield. Sacrificing mobility and raw firepower for defense capabilities, the SRAU is more of a small command center than a combat unit, though it can be dangerous in close combat, due to its sheer weight and seize.

pre:
Skills
+3 Armor
+2 ECCM, Melee
+1 Firepower, Special 
+0 Scramble

Stunts                        
I am thy shield - When another SRAU is using you as cover, they can use your Armor skill to defend against attacks.
Talk to the Shield  - When an enemy is directly next to you, you can use Armor to make a melee attack.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 13, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jaylene Slide

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Abhiram Singh (who usually just goes by ‘Singh’) can trace his lineage back to the original group of Sikhs that joined the great migration, to folks who were barely of age when they sought their fortunes in the stars. Mining and manufacturing in the asteroid belt was becoming widespread and a good way to make a living, leaving a crowded and increasingly disparate Earth. The early days, bloody and competitive, defined the people of the Belt as much the work and environment did.

The small Sikh community used their faith to maintain their identity in a rapidly changing world. They were often the arbiters between conflicting interests, and sometimes represented families that had no way of defending themselves against the legal depredations of mining corporations. Singh’s younger days was spent in mining operations, scanning and cataloging innumerable asteroids in the belt. He got along with whatever crew was present, listening and commenting on whatever stories they had - he was respected as a hard worker that everyone got along with.

With stability spreading not just in the Belt, but elsewhere in the system, it seemed inevitable that neighbors would start looking at each other’s pockets. The violence that began to erupt put many folks in dangerous situations, and demand suddenly skyrocketed for pilots and operators willing to take SRAU units on clandestine operations, even converted units like the recon and mining units typically found in the Belt. The Sikh leadership was consolidating its people, pulling back into the major stations to avoid loss of life. Singh objected, insisting it was worth fighting on one’s own terms, and that payment for such activity would help keep their community safe. For this he was ostracized, left with his SRAU and little else to his name.

Singh is patient and knows it’s always best to understand your enemy before the fight - if it’s unavoidable - in order to win. He somehow stays good-natured and is usually most interested in the work to be done and not the drama that might come up in the process. He’s careful about his contracts and knows his dedication to his faith might be called into question, but as far as he’s concerned, the only person he needs to answer to now is himself.

High Concept: Low-born Belter Native - Born and raised in the asteroid belt, Singh is familiar with the ins-and-outs of surviving off-world and among the eclectic, patchwork, and occasionally dangerous world of the Belt.

Trouble: In Debt and Left Behind - Singh has been abandoned by his people (while they would say he did so to them) and only has Kutki to his name. He still has friends in low places, but it’s hurt to be cut away from the community he was part of for so long. The debt on Kutki is a complex beast as well, and Singh seems to spend all his time trying to pay off one outstretched hand only to find another has taken its place.

Other Aspects:
No Tolerance for Intolerance
- Sikhs originally learned the hard way that co-existence is a hard path. With so many ‘new ways’ taking hold in the Belt, Singh’s family dealt with more than a few of them personally, both with negotiation and with action. Singh grew up learning such ways - when to talk, and when to fight.

Let's try this, we'll fix it properly later - Life in the belt is always - without fail - making do with what you got. This includes being a million kilometers from the nearest friendly station, your ice hauler showing signs of fatigue, pirates blipping on the radar, and your employer dangling a quick turnaround bonus in front of you. Singh will think outside the box to get the job done, even if means just delaying the inevitable.

[+4] Crafts
[+3] Rapport, Investigate
[+2] Pilot, Shoot, Lore
[+1] Resources, Contacts, Fight, Empathy, Notice
[0] Burglary, Provoke, Deceive, Athletics, Physique, Stealth, Will

Kutki
One of Singh’s best friends called the heavy duty mining SRAU the team was assigned the Hindi word for ‘gnat’ and somehow it stuck. Most prospecting clans were assigned some type of protection and ‘heavy lifting’ unit, and most folks thought the thing was overkill. Singh’s share for the last few expeditions had been tied up in its lease for years and he defaulted to the owner once the mining co-operative was abandoned. Now he’s stuck with it: an incredibly valuable craft worth more than he’s earned in his entire life and also the only thing keeping him from becoming a refugee. He’s still trying to work out the details of the debt he still owes on it, and more than one shady arms dealer has tried to buy it off him. True to form, Singh would rather keep his meal ticket than take a payout.

Kutki is equipped with close-quarters weaponry that includes a megawatt-class pulsed laser and a drill suite originally intended for nickel-grade asteroid mining, and has manipulators that can handle a broad array of tools and melee weapons. The layered armor was originally intended for rock fragments and not autonomous missiles, though some clever upgrades have made it excellent regardless of attack type. Its biggest issue is that its systems are fairly standard, being a ‘support’ SRAU.

Well-traveled Gioncotti-Srinthawa Heavy Duty Mining and Support Unit ‘Kutki’
[+3] Melee
[+2] Armor, Special
[+1]Firepower, Scramble
[0] ECM/ECCM

Stunt: A Very Expensive Cannonball - Dealing with flying rocks all day, Kutki is built to withstand impacts. While it’s hard on his own noggin, Singh can ram other vessels with minimal damage to his mech. (-2 to damage in ramming attacks.)

Stunt: Patchwork Doesn’t Make it Junk - Utility SRAUs contain some system redundancy, allowing the operator to bypass damaged systems and get back to work - or the fight. (For a Fate point, can downgrade moderate consequences to mild, or remove a mild consequence.)

I guess technically I'm not done but I haven't played Fate before.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Teresa Kurita-Steiner

Teresa Kurita-Steiner first came to to the attention of the public for winning a reality game show, one of the many Outsider cultural exports devoured throughout the system. Teresa quickly used to leverage her fifteen minutes of fame to achieve her ambitions. Her compelling victory through audacious and unconventional strategies lead to appearances on similar shows, including popular strategy based ones, where she continued to excel. Teresa's pop idol status let her move in influential circles. She made friends - and enemies - with important people in a variety of areas. It seemed her metoric ascent knew no limits.

Until it came crashing down. A conspiracy to overthrow the oligarchy that controlled the deep space habs was revealed, and Teresa was right in the middle of it. Though the oligarchs were able to stave off an uprising of the citizenry, Teresa's popularity was too great for them to risk turning her into a martyr or a cause. Instead, they exiled her from the habs. They expected that she'd lean on her celebrity to create a comfortable life, appear on the occasional talk show to comment on Outsider culture or politics, and pal around with the powerful of the inner system.

Instead Teresa used her fame to make her way to Ceres. Had the oligarchs understood the true extent of her ambitions, they likely would have risked rebellion to remove her. But instead, she has the opportunity to gain experience in war and leadership, and make the kind of friends who will help her realize the her dream of overthrowing the oligarchs and reordering Outsider society in her own image.

High concept: Stylish Strategist
Trouble: Magnificent Bastard
Aspect: Exile from Paradise
Aspect: Get It By Your Hands
Aspect: An Outsiders Perspective

Skills:
+4 Provoke
+3 Deceive, Rapport
+2 Fight, Physique, Will
+1 Contacts, Investigate, Lore, Shoot

Stunts
Do You Hear the People Singing?: +2 to Rapport when you’re delivering an inspiring speech in front of a crowd. (If there are named NPCs or PCs in the scene, you may target them all simultaneously with one roll rather than dividing up your shifts.)

Recon by Fire: You can use Provoke in place of Empathy to learn a target’s aspects, by bullying them until they reveal one to you. The target defends against this with Will. (If the GM thinks the aspect is particularly vulnerable to your hostile approach, you get a +2 bonus.)

Information High: Once per scene, you may compel a known aspect of another character or a location without having to spend a fate point.

Red Devil

Model: Command and Control

SRAU Skills:
+3 ECCM
+2 Melee, Scramble
+1 Armor, Firepower
+0 Special

Stunts
An Idea With a Sword: Allies may invoke aspects you create for +3 when they are making Melee attacks.

Just as Planned: Once per scene for each ally, that ally gains a free invoke on an aspect created by an opponent or a consequence they suffered due to an opponent's actions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

These are the picks in no particular order:
Teresa Kurita-Steiner
Abhiram Singh
Livonia Merity Resparix
Ezekiel Osbourne
Carl Belyshniak

Game begins tomorrow.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846634

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Also, Livonia with her before image if it proves useful:

I have a template for Carl's set up but it looks really wonky with the art from your app, AJ_Impy. I think the character creator can be zoomed in on the head if you're making changes to facial features or whatnot; can you pull a headshot from that?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Here's some ship ideas and names we were bouncing around in the Discord.
A gallery of some.
Here's some faves:

Some potential names:
  • Variable Frame of Reference
  • Fate Defying Virtue
  • Herald the Coming Night
  • Occulted Axioms
  • Dance the Ecliptic
  • The Last Argument
  • Royal Prerogative
  • Vehement Impunity
  • The No More Hero
  • Laughing Magician
  • Gone Wodwo
  • Lord Hellion
  • Wojtek
  • Rolihlahla
  • Godhead
  • Devourer of Stars
  • Lord of Cold Flame
  • The Empty Derelict
  • An Inconspicuous Trading Vessel
  • Most Likely To Secede
  • The Groovy Ghoulie

Personally I like Dance the Ecliptic and the first image I linked above.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
My personal fave is the last one in the set:

Runner up is:

Considering our status as mercs for hire, I like either Rolihlahla or No More Hero. The fact that they were my suggestions has no bearing on my vote :v:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Five Body Solutions is kind of growing on me, but I do like Dance The Elliptic.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Well Five Body Solutions is the company name, the ship conceivably has a different name.

This art seems to be a consensus pick, as runner up or first choice for most:

Who has strong feelings about the name?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I didn't mean to kill the thread. Is this a bad plan?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I think it's a fine plan.

To clarify, do the lifters have crews on them? I was assuming that was the case. So I'm going to call them and find out what's going on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No crew, it's all robots

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Do we have anyone to crew the Vulgar Display of Power when we're all deployed, or do we operate it remotely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Maybe we have an AI conveniently played by the GM?

• Locked thread