Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Viridiant posted:

Shirase is such a huge adorable dork.

A-dork-able

EDIT: Penguin tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Great third episode too. I don't know if we really got the feel for Yuzuki's character going forward since so much of it was tied up in her having insufficient FRIENDSHIP this episode, as it was she felt a bit muted compared to the rest. But Shirase already had development from relatively collected and focused in episode 1, apart from freaking out about the money, to essentially a big mess by this point. So I'd imagine Yuzuki will also show some more personality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crain posted:

If I had to guess We'll probably have a mini plot of the Show Mom trying to shirk on the deal, saying "I never promised you could go, just that I'd try to get you in. They said no." or something, before everything finally locks in place.

I doubt it, because Yuzuki flat out said she would only go if she could go with the other three so her Mom reneging on the deal would only hurt herself and her daughter ultimately.

Crain posted:

Also lol at the show being a "streaming" show. Internet down there is...limited to say the least.

Did they? I thought they just said it was going to be recorded down there? It's for a traditional TV station by the look of it, so it doesn't seem like it'd be a streamed thing.

Viridiant posted:

Shirase is such a huge adorable dork.

Her fogging up the glass on the penguin exhibit because she was staring at it so hard was great. As was her showing off how she was right all along after they fell head first in to a chance to go to Antarctica and stubbing her toe because she was running around so headloose. And her unable to maintain a lie. And...gently caress it, just everything she does is fun.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 16, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

tsob posted:

Did they? I thought they just said it was going to be recorded down there? It's for a traditional TV station by the look of it, so it doesn't seem like it'd be a streamed thing.

On Cruchyroll it said "Streaming show" but that could have been something added by them or they just meant live. I took it to mean internet stream, could be wrong.

Also updated OP with new info now that we have all the girls here and things are happening.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

While we're speaking of great cast dynamics, I love how Hinata is simultaneously the only one who can see problems coming, and the kind of person who will let things go kind of wrong just because they seem fun. It's a good changeup, since it keeps the usual buzzkill problems down while still keeping someone able to realize that the situation is absurd.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good show

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
4th girl

is good

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
Yeah, I love this crazy group of girls and look forward to their adventures!

Crunchyroll translated an interview with the leaders of the Antarctic expeditions aboard the Shirase. Nothing too exciting, but it's worth reading. I imagine that since it was originally posted on the website for the anime, they will incorporate some of the experiences he describes in that interview into the show.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
My favorite part of that story was the penguins toddling past the ship.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Ep 3 was great! Just echoing what everyone else has said about the group dynamics between the girls being really well done.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
This is more of an overt comedy than I was expecting, but it's really well done. Great timing on all the reaction gags, and the VAs are killin it.

But it nags at me every time the OP starts up - it's 2018, is it really too hard to post on HiNative or something and check if your English subtitle is actually correct English before going into production?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this show is better than crybaby

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

this show is better than crybaby

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I feel bad for the best friend, she's getting the reverse Yuzuki

Also this show is very very good

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Option C

https://twitter.com/greenpeace/status/955408319262404608

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who was that in the after credits bit? :ohdear:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Another good episode, including a good Sister, Mom and Dad.

Sakurazuka posted:

Who was that in the after credits bit? :ohdear:
Megumi, Mari's friend that's not going to Antarctica. I don't want Mari to lose a friend, but it seems to be the way things are heading. :smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's cool how this show is just the best at everything it wants to do and owns super-hard constantly all the time

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This show is So loving Good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
A bit of a quiet episode after the great scene with the parents, I'm amusing myself every week guessing the timeline for Antarctica. Gonna guess 5: finishing prep and situation with Megumi coming to a head, 6: travel there, 7: get to Antarctica UNLESS the show decides to have fun with the travel and show the stop in Australia before boarding and poo poo. They might do one episode for plane + arriving at the boat, and another for the boat journey.

Unfortunately, assuming the show will be using the actual Japanese research stations in Queen Maud's Land, there's little chance of seeing any of the other research stations since the Japanese have sequestered theirs away from all the other cool kids, like some bullied kid in a school cafeteria. Then again, short distances on maps of Antarctica can be pretty far out of the way so I guess that would be unlikely either way.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

that powerful mom scene :discourse:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The adults in this show are rad as hell.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

AnacondaHL posted:

that powerful mom scene :discourse:

The dad casually noping out of the scene was the best part

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Unfortunately, assuming the show will be using the actual Japanese research stations in Queen Maud's Land, there's little chance of seeing any of the other research stations since the Japanese have sequestered theirs away from all the other cool kids, like some bullied kid in a school cafeteria. Then again, short distances on maps of Antarctica can be pretty far out of the way so I guess that would be unlikely either way.

Shoya station actually has an air travel agreement between them and their closest neighbors, which includes the Norwegian Troll Station :haw:

This episode was great to see some more Antarctic specific stuff. It's funny cause the US is not nearly as serious with the Snow School stuff, and beyond some very basic survival stuff (set up tent, use camp stove, recognize hypothermia and frostbite) there isn't much training. Also they wait till you actually get there. Although they do show some movies before leaving about not touching the animals and not clogging the toilets by flushing random stuff down them.

Although this is for working on or around base/field camps. Anyone who actually goes out into the wilderness is usually hired from a field of experienced mountaineers.

Pics:

Before leaving

Snow School Training (Please note the scale used for "Consequence")

Another thing RE: The flags for mapping your route. It's not just for keeping track of where you're going in bad weather. Primarily it's actually for keeping people away from crevasse that form in the ice under the snow. These can be super loving deep, tens of to a hundred meters deep, and covered with a thin crust of snow. Never walk outside of the flags. That's also the main way people die down there outside of freak machinery accidents.

Flags marking main road (and a jogger):

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I definitely thought they were being too AR about not letting the flags be a couple of paces off the marked route until I remembered the possibility of crevaces and pitfalls hidden by heavy snow. Also that small errors can propagate across a bunch of way points until you're actually way off course.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Please shut talking now.

:3:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 24, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the part where yuzuki threatened to kill kimari

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Knorth posted:

Please shut talking now.

I wondered if it was a translation error, and then... the payoff.

This is a very good show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That part was a lesson in why I should finish the episode instead of screenshotting it straight away and going on a rant about CR translations....

SennyYak
May 10, 2010

Crain posted:

Snow School Training (Please note the scale used for "Consequence")

Thanks for this post. What does it say in the hazards column below "Alien Attack"?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

SennyYak posted:

Thanks for this post. What does it say in the hazards column below "Alien Attack"?

Looks like "Skua Attack".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thuryl posted:

Looks like "Skua Attack".

Yeah. Skua attack. These not so little bastards:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crain posted:

Yeah. Skua attack. These not so little bastards:

That makes much more sense than my initial guess of "Ska attack". Which, while worrisome, is much less likely.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

"Ska attack".
:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

That makes much more sense than my initial guess of "Ska attack". Which, while worrisome, is much less likely.

What do you have against ska? :mad:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

iospace posted:

What do you have against ska? :mad:

They are solidly at "Death Star" on the consequence scale.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crain posted:

They are solidly at "Death Star" on the consequence scale.

t:mad:t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody should be telling me I gotta "pick it up". I listen to ska to relax. :colbert: