Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have a bunch of data that i would like to model in a way that i can view relationships and explain what's going on to The Nontechnicals that think that lots of excel documents is the only way to capture data. you once upon a time could definitely do this in visual studio and it would even dump out sql to make an actual database out of your model but idk if thats still a thing

what are the things in this space that i should be searching for

how do i model my data in a useful way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this is really enterpriesy but have you heard of power designer https://www.sap.com/uk/products/powerdesigner-data-modeling-tools.html

i dont like it so much, but the guy i work with uses this daily and single handedly maintains our data model using it. it should be able to also spit out the sql you need

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the end result (and the way you model it) is pretty much an ER diagram, so i dont know how useful that will be to your non techies, but it might work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
SAP considered harmful.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i have no loving idea what you're talking about but the price tag on whatever you use directly correlates to how much the c people are willing to trust you. so go ibm or oracle and make sure there's that logo displayed somewhere

ideally you want graphs that go up from left to right, maybe with a small drop here and there to make sure those dumbfucks stay on their toes

the most important thing is how are you going to profit from that. unless i'm confusing you with someone else you work in augmentation tech so you should just choke 'em dead with your cyberarms and then steal their identity with whatever face dancer tech you've managed to cook up

good luck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

i have a bunch of data that i would like to model in a way that i can view relationships and explain what's going on to The Nontechnicals that think that lots of excel documents is the only way to capture data. you once upon a time could definitely do this in visual studio and it would even dump out sql to make an actual database out of your model but idk if thats still a thing

Create a Visual Studio database project. You can import schema from an existing db or start from scratch. Install SQL Server Data Tools for visual studio if you don't see it in ur template list

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also you used to be able to generate great diagrams from sql server w/ visio but they took it out because reasons???

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
why do The Nontechnicals need to know about the data model? just give them views that have the columns they want

otherwise yeah you are going to end up with basically an entity relationship diagram and even technical people find those mostly useless

but you can go all out with your favorite diagramming tool if you so choose, it's a great way to look and feel like you're producing useful work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why do The Nontechnicals need to know about the data model? just give them views that have the columns they want

otherwise yeah you are going to end up with basically an entity relationship diagram and even technical people find those mostly useless

but you can go all out with your favorite diagramming tool if you so choose, it's a great way to look and feel like you're producing useful work

they're nontechnicals, they don't know what columns are. i need to show them how the chunks of data that their teammembers are responsible for are related to the chunks of data that my team is responsible for

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ok look. get a tableau license. make graphs that go up regardless of how many join/where clauses it takes. that's it. you have discovered the big data secret

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

ok look. get a tableau license. make graphs that go up regardless of how many join/where clauses it takes. that's it. you have discovered the big data secret

in rare cases you want the graph to go down, this is why there's a burndown chart on every agile dashboard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

you're missing a step

you have to connect tableau to hive through thejdbc connector :q:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bloody posted:

just tthink abo
ut it in terms of SRBs. add\ more for better.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

just tthink abo
ut it in terms of SRBs. add\ more for better.

yeah that fella may have fallen down big time when it comes to avatar quality, but that advice is probably sound whatever the gently caress it means

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
i used db diffo to make a schema diagram that wasn't 100% useless and helped me think about tables and key relationships

https://dbdiffo.com/dbdiffo/

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

just get put a pencil and paper and open the wikipedia page for 3rd normal form, op

oh wait this is for business people? lol, just wipe ur rear end with a .xls file and call it a day

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

yeah that fella may have fallen down big time when it comes to avatar quality, but that advice is probably sound whatever the gently caress it means

the moose is back motherfucker

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Uncle Enzo posted:

i used db diffo to make a schema diagram that wasn't 100% useless and helped me think about tables and key relationships

https://dbdiffo.com/dbdiffo/

Flash player needed http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

wtf

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
write a visualization frontend with d3 dot js

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

put it in mongo so both developers and all stake holders can easily rationalize the data model, instead of crazy 100 join sql statements and id columns

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bloody posted:

loafwife does this for a living and her only tools are excel and tableau and tableau's optional

but her non-technical clients are also literate grownups so she can just say "x is p% of y and projected to be q% in five years" and the point will get made

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hoverloafwife

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

Create a Visual Studio database project. You can import schema from an existing db or start from scratch. Install SQL Server Data Tools for visual studio if you don't see it in ur template list

ah yeah there we go. the data-first entity framework designer thingy is close enough and kinda what i was looking for but i needed to install SSDT to get it show up, thx

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
entity framework is dogshit but the designer is fine for visualization

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

pram posted:

hoverloafwife

pighammerfiance

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i loving dare you to try enterprise architect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

more like prison architect

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
matlab or python with seaborn or ROOT

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Bloody posted:

ah yeah there we go. the data-first entity framework designer thingy is close enough and kinda what i was looking for but i needed to install SSDT to get it show up, thx

That's surprising. EF and SSDT shouldn't have a dependency. What version of VS is this?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cat Face Joe posted:

pighammerfiance

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

That's surprising. EF and SSDT shouldn't have a dependency. What version of VS is this?

the database project template was redone and moved into SSDT in like 2015 or something.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i use tools like this regularly and used EA in particular at my last job

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

the database project template was redone and moved into SSDT in like 2015 or something.

No, the database projects from VS2010 were reworked and became SSDT in VS2012 and have remained SSDT ever after.

What's confusing me is why installing SSDT would enable EF.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

You might be referring to the fact that for VS2012 and VS2013 there were separate installers for SSDT (database projects/schema compare) and SSDT-BI (née BIDS). For VS2015 it was all combined into a single installer.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Use Teradata lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

i use tools like this regularly and used EA in particular at my last job

EA is just so bad.

thats my 2 cents

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

EA is just so bad.

thats my 2 cents

this isn't the video game thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c database s: entity designer is reasonably needs suiting except that i have a corner case that is falling apart. in one table i am representing instances of Foos. elsewhere in our system, we take a fixed-size group of Foos (8 Foos) and use them as Bars. Basically, a Bar is a 8-tuple of Foos. Built-in relationships are only of a 1, 0..1, or many cardinality, and coming up with a way to represent my tuple as its own entity type is very cumbersome. in a sql table i would just have 9 columns - 1 identifier for the bar, plus 8 columns for each Foo instance, named appropriately for what each instance means in the tuple. then, elsewhere, i can construct proper relationships between Bars and other stuff. right now, those relationships are all just x-to-many relationships with Foos, but that's not true and hides the real intent

note: there are decent odds i am improperly modeling my data to wind up in this situation in the first place

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why are you using an 8 way tuple? Why not a collection or if they will always be 8, a set of 8 properties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

why are you using an 8 way tuple? Why not a collection or if they will always be 8, a set of 8 properties?

well tbh i'm not really using anything its just a way to think about it. a fixed-size collection of 8 things, represented however

• Locked thread