Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

New year, new thread!

Because Hard already made a pretty comprehensive OP in the last thread I will just link it here as I slowly update this OP with newest info (RIP Hard we miss you):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800191

Siege has been one of the success stories of gaming where it started with fairly mediocre reviews and reception but thanks to the support Ubi has shown it has grown leaps and bounds and is now one of the biggest FPS's on the market. Yes, you should play it and more importantly, you should play it with goons!

quote:

How to play with goons:

Discord: https://discord.gg/MCQvh79 < Pretty big group. We have 3-4 full squads on average with people from all over so you will find someone to play with whether you are in Europe or NA.

Mumble: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796734 < Also has a dedicated mumble r6 crew if mumble is more to your liking. Clever goons add both servers.

Consoles: :pcgaming:

If you are coming in fresh to the game here are some very important points:

-Don't buy the starter edition of the game. It is too big a grind to unlock ops in that one and you will hate life. We recommend getting the standard or the complete edition with all the season passes.

-Siege content is free to all players. Season pass only means you get some cosmetic stuff and the new ops are automatically unlocked for you when they come out. You can always unlock everything non-cosmetic with reknown (the in-game currency you earn for finishing matches) Most cosmetics can also be unlocked with reknown and some are real money (all of the "digital content" cosmetics) and some are in game cash only. So basically there are three economies at play, but it's all for Barbie dress up stuff, nothing that affects gameplay can be bought. Siege is not p2w.

-Communication and Map knowledge is key. That is why it is very highly recommended to play with goons and let us teach you how to play. If you play with pubs people get tilted when there is a new player that doesn't know what they are doing and they will TK you if you reinforce something bad or for whatever reason. Don't risk getting soured on this amazing game by playing with pubs, play with goons.

-Advice on what ops to unlock first, etc changes daily so please ask in the thread and we will get you sorted.

What is currently happening with the game?

As of this writing Operation White Noise, the last season of Year 2 content recently came out with three new operators and a new map and Year 3 content is announced.

Operation Chimera is out which includes time limited lootboxes and zombie shooting with two friends.

This is what we have coming this year:

Happy Sieging goons!

keyframe fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Reserving first post for siege memes and waifu cosplay pics.**

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Tango down.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This game is cool and Goons take good care of newbies. Buy it!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Perestroika posted:

So I've recently started playing ranked a bit more (Silver represent :toot:) and I wonder, does the supposed Elo-aspect ever come into play? Because so far it has, without fail, always worked out to: Win a game: Rank Up; Lose a game: Rank down.

There's supposed to be a hidden accuracy rating somewhere in there, that modifies your mmr gain/loss and I assume that your is quite low right now.
I don't think they explained how the accuracy rating changes but the idea is that your mmr supposed to change less the more sure the system is about your skill rating.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Going to repost the muzzle attachment image.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/P5RwRwG.mp4

raptor legs never forget

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 4, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RIP Hard, your spirit will always carry on.

Now fix your game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Perestroika posted:

So I've recently started playing ranked a bit more (Silver represent :toot:) and I wonder, does the supposed Elo-aspect ever come into play? Because so far it has, without fail, always worked out to: Win a game: Rank Up; Lose a game: Rank down.

It's like that and it decreases with how many matches you play, since the more you play, the more the game assumes you're at "your optimal rank". At the end of the season those 100 rank points turn into a measly 40 per game, up or down. It does give you a bit more if you win against high skilled opponents, but I've surfed the whole Gold rank more then once now, and it's hard to hit someone outside of Gold there. I guess that it just has the most players.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

raptor legs never forget

800 HP Blackbeard shield, 20 metre Pulse scanner, OHK sniper auto shotguns... Lots of good memories.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Game is good but the sheer amount of ways you can die is fuckin insane.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Also, OP, :siren: PUT SOME SIRENS AROUND THAT PART OF THE OP ABOUT THE STARTER EDITION :siren: Also that part about everything being buyable with Renown is a lie - there are some skins that are locked behind R6 credits in the shop and can't be bought otherwise. But those are just some silly weapon skins, not operator hats.

Have some art for your trouble:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 5, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Welcome Mat + Gu Mine = :awesome:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

you can have it all, my empire of shirt

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bring back HARD

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
why did no one tell me not to buy the starter edition approximately two hours ago

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

why did no one tell me not to buy the starter edition approximately two hours ago

If it's on Steam get a refund before you put any more time on it. Do this right now.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Agoat posted:

If it's on Steam get a refund before you put any more time on it. Do this right now.

And then laugh when you buy the real edition and still have the starter edition premium currency.

I think I heard that was a thing. But I’m probably making it up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Agoat posted:

Already past that deadline, hence the approximately two hours ago.

Its probably okay. Not entirely certain I'll like this game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Already past that deadline, hence the approximately two hours ago.

Its probably okay. Not entirely certain I'll like this game.

You can get past that deadline by saying that you spent that amount of time trying to get it working properly. Steam has a fairly lax 'one time only refund' policy if you can get a human being to look at it.

Then again it was like $8 on sale so eh

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
For those goobers (me) who were gifted the starter edition, it's absolutely loving dumb that you can't pay to upgrade your game version in client. When I went to refund it to steam so I could buy the full version, they told me to pound salt as my gametime was over 2 hours. I either have to grind my life away to get an operator or shell out money to buy operator bundles (more than I would have paid buying the full edition).

Minor gripe honestly, the game owns.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

having played literally an entire afternoon of rook to get his birthday challenge + the "win x amount of rounds as GIGN" challenge i have never felt this as hard as i do right now

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I started playing this game a few days ago and I liked it and I played it a lot.

I am bad at twitch-shooting and luckily I don't need that at this level in this game! It's all about just knowing where to stand to not suck. The first ten hours are just learning all the places to stand where you will die.

Dumb newbie question: What do 'roamers' usually do on Defense when Attack instead goes "SURPRISE BREAKING IN THROUGH THE WINDOW WITH NO CHANCE TO STOP US "?

Feels real bad when I set up a maze of traps as Kapkan and then whoops gotta run back because my teammates got shot by someone rappelling in.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
If it's an objective where windows often get attacked, there's usually a window or door elsewhere in the building that lets you shoot at the attackers from their sides. If you roam on the same side of the building you can also jump out and get a kill or two before hopping back in. Even if you don't, it should terrify attackers enough to have them enter the building ASAP so you can't do it again.

Of course this all assumes your team doesn't fold like wet paper upon first contact. If opfor kills 3 teammates and jumps in instantly, your best chance is to try to get into 1v1 peeking fights and win them five times, which is easier said than done but probably smarter than rushing into objective and getting gunned down by 3 enemies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I started playing this game a few days ago and I liked it and I played it a lot.

I am bad at twitch-shooting and luckily I don't need that at this level in this game! It's all about just knowing where to stand to not suck. The first ten hours are just learning all the places to stand where you will die.

Dumb newbie question: What do 'roamers' usually do on Defense when Attack instead goes "SURPRISE BREAKING IN THROUGH THE WINDOW WITH NO CHANCE TO STOP US "?

Feels real bad when I set up a maze of traps as Kapkan and then whoops gotta run back because my teammates got shot by someone rappelling in.

It depends on the map. On some maps there are ways to circle around and shoot the attackers in the side or back while they're queued up around the windows. A prime example for that is Clubhouse, where both of the upper-story objective locations give you a prime field of fire on the outside windows of the other, particularly if you have some explosives to open up a wall: https://www.r6maps.com/#club/2/all. On Skyscraper or Border you may be able to hop out onto the balconies and take them in the flank, too, though that can be quite risky if they're attentive. Some objective locations also simply just don't suit themselves all too well for roaming, precisely because there aren't many good flanking options available. In those cases, your best bet might be to just sit just a little ways away from the objective room and open up a new line of fire from an unexpected angle once the attackers make their move.

Last but not least, always try to be aware of your shortest route back to the objective and when you should try to go back. Even when it's not windows, sometimes the rest of your team simply gets overwhelmed by a well-timed push before you can get some good flanking action in. Keep a watch on the killfeed, and if your dudes start dying in quick succession and/or there's a loud ongoing firefight without any attackers dying, start hustling back. Nothing is worse than having been killed as an anchor after a protracted firefight only to see that your two roamers are still on the other side of the map and on the wrong level.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Perestroika posted:

It depends on the map. On some maps there are ways to circle around and shoot the attackers in the side or back while they're queued up around the windows. A prime example for that is Clubhouse, where both of the upper-story objective locations give you a prime field of fire on the outside windows of the other, particularly if you have some explosives to open up a wall: https://www.r6maps.com/#club/2/all. On Skyscraper or Border you may be able to hop out onto the balconies and take them in the flank, too, though that can be quite risky if they're attentive. Some objective locations also simply just don't suit themselves all too well for roaming, precisely because there aren't many good flanking options available. In those cases, your best bet might be to just sit just a little ways away from the objective room and open up a new line of fire from an unexpected angle once the attackers make their move.

Last but not least, always try to be aware of your shortest route back to the objective and when you should try to go back. Even when it's not windows, sometimes the rest of your team simply gets overwhelmed by a well-timed push before you can get some good flanking action in. Keep a watch on the killfeed, and if your dudes start dying in quick succession and/or there's a loud ongoing firefight without any attackers dying, start hustling back. Nothing is worse than having been killed as an anchor after a protracted firefight only to see that your two roamers are still on the other side of the map and on the wrong level.

And then you get Theme Park, where your teammates can't hold the 2 windows leading into drug lab (and bathroom) while you roam in trains and suddenly it's a 1v5 and they're capping :v:
I hate that map and it should have left the ranked map pool when Tower was released.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ying is love. Ying is life.

Wish her poo poo was better tho

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why would I play Ying and just have my gadget spray confetti in their faces when I can play Fuze and get 6 kills per round instead?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I love shotgun Ying, but her kit is super loud. I want Lesions shotgun suppressor for her. Unlike regular suppressors, enemies still see the muzzle flash and threat indicators, but the sound dampening would still be useful when breaching.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I went with the 9$ version since I don't think I'll be playing this more then occasionally with friends, I ended up having ash and smoke for my freebies which seem to be good, thinking I'll unlock rook and blitz as my next two.

Two questions, are there any tips or guides or map layouts for newbies to checkout and is there any recommendation for good recruit loadouts because I can't seem to see what the recruits can actually do besides the 30 seconds between games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of shotguns, how did the whole thing with laser sights end up working out? Sometime around Blood Orchid there was a patch that supposedly removed the effect of laser sights on the pellet spread, but then there seemed to have been some walkback on it, and now there's a whole lot conflicting information floating around on the whole thing. So basically, is there still a point to taking a laser sight on a shotgun?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I went with the 9$ version since I don't think I'll be playing this more then occasionally with friends, I ended up having ash and smoke for my freebies which seem to be good, thinking I'll unlock rook and blitz as my next two.

Two questions, are there any tips or guides or map layouts for newbies to checkout and is there any recommendation for good recruit loadouts because I can't seem to see what the recruits can actually do besides the 30 seconds between games.

I have been learning from VarsityGaming on YouTube.

On a personal note, ever since I started playing more aggressive I've been killing a lot more. I got my first ace because I flanked with a suppressor and was able to clean up the remaining guys after. Confidence kills. :kamina:

Also, it's going to be really tough unlocking characters since you have the starter edition. :/

Agoat fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 5, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any attachments that you should unlock asap on anyone you play, from a brief look, none of them attachments seem to have downsides in the descriptions, it's just "pay 250 funnymoney from a single win, shoot gun more gooder"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
You need a gun sight.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Are there any attachments that you should unlock asap on anyone you play, from a brief look, none of them attachments seem to have downsides in the descriptions, it's just "pay 250 funnymoney from a single win, shoot gun more gooder"

generally using attachments would appear to be better than not using attachments, with the possible exception of suppressors and lasers, since enemies can see lasers and suppressors lower damage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You want a sight of your choosing (it's really just about preference) and in most of the cases you also want a Flash Hider barrel attachment.
That's basically a must.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone who plays Starter Edition tell me if they have an option to unlock original operators via a bundle R6 coins/real money, the same way you have a bundle to unlock all Year1/Year2 operators?
If yes then how much does it cost?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Polka_Rapper posted:

Going to repost the muzzle attachment image.

May this be updated for the new operators please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

vaginal facsimile posted:

May this be updated for the new operators please?

I can make a graphic if someone gets me the info.

That goes for anything people want.