Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nebiros posted:

I have. Dumb poo poo pubbie wanted me to breach a wall, then ran forward before I blew it. Got him and the hostage. Double kills are always fun though.

That is still 2 TKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I thought they made breach charge kills not count as team kills after all the thermite trolling people were doing a while back.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do I not suck at this game? I'm usually really good at shooters, but for whatever reason...I'm terribad. I think my biggest problem is just not being able to see enemies, either because of map clutter or what, but I don't know how to get around that. I'm a little tired of being asked if I'm playing on a phone its an abacus drat it :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My OG monitor I tried with this game had something like an 8ms refresh rate. The situations AI was winning gunfights against me. With how fast reaction times are in this game that can sadly matter.

I need to give some other games a try again now that I can win gunfights against the AI.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Combatace posted:

How do I not suck at this game? I'm usually really good at shooters, but for whatever reason...I'm terribad. I think my biggest problem is just not being able to see enemies, either because of map clutter or what, but I don't know how to get around that. I'm a little tired of being asked if I'm playing on a phone its an abacus drat it :(

depends. Do you actually not see them or are you just surprised when you see them? A big part of the game is map knowledge and knowing which spots people tend to cover to hold angles etc. Alternatively try turning down your in-game settings if you're on pc, having too good a visual quality means they blend into the background more easily.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
How big is your monitor? Get a larger one.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

depends. Do you actually not see them or are you just surprised when you see them? A big part of the game is map knowledge and knowing which spots people tend to cover to hold angles etc. Alternatively try turning down your in-game settings if you're on pc, having too good a visual quality means they blend into the background more easily.

Its more not seeing them through the clutter. I'm not surprised per se, just "Oh, there was a guy there?" On defense I can be watching a position, and then die from where I was watching because somebody was walking there and I didn't see them through the chair, table, and all the poo poo on top of it.

slap me and kiss me posted:

How big is your monitor? Get a larger one.

I'm sitting inches away from a 24" tv.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
In that case, you're probably dealing with a combination of bad angles and peeker's advantage.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Combatace posted:

Its more not seeing them through the clutter. I'm not surprised per se, just "Oh, there was a guy there?" On defense I can be watching a position, and then die from where I was watching because somebody was walking there and I didn't see them through the chair, table, and all the poo poo on top of it.

Setting render scale to 100% also makes things clearer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Combatace posted:

I'm the same way. How some of these people can see 3 pixels turn from dark brown to black and then land that one-tap is beyond me. They are kings, I am a peasant.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYDJq5e6spw

for all my sound sluts

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
So how has the TK ban and reporting toxic behavior been working out? Being a new player, trying to play this game really loving sucks. Example, the other night I went to play some rounds, first game I joined in progress and got vote kicked before I got to play. Second game I got killed as soon as the round started every round by somebody on my team. Third game the vote kick started as soon as the first round started, I asked them to let me play before they kick me, and instead 3 players on my team all quit the game. It's like 90% bullshit before I finally get a good game, then it all starts over.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Arms_Akimbo posted:

So how has the TK ban and reporting toxic behavior been working out? Being a new player, trying to play this game really loving sucks. Example, the other night I went to play some rounds, first game I joined in progress and got vote kicked before I got to play. Second game I got killed as soon as the round started every round by somebody on my team. Third game the vote kick started as soon as the first round started, I asked them to let me play before they kick me, and instead 3 players on my team all quit the game. It's like 90% bullshit before I finally get a good game, then it all starts over.

Play with goons.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It's almost impressive that you met all kinds of lovely behavior during your first session. Sorry to hear that. I know I've experienced all of this previously but never back to back. Casual mode is rife with assholes abusing tk and vote mechanics to disrupt game play and there's very little you can do than report them and move along.

It gets better at level 25 when ranked mode opens. There's no backfill or voting so people tend to play more seriously. Other than that you can try disabling the shittiest mode (secure area) matchmaking from the multiplayer settings. Hostage is the least popular mode so you can try play that exclusively.

On PC at least ranked has generally been quite pleasant with poo poo talkers at minimum during EU prime hours. If you just say hi to the team you usually get a hi back. Even if there's not that much communication even random manage to do call outs on death.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Play ranked

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

So did they change the roof on Border so you can't run along a ledge and drop to the window outside Archives any more? I was one kill into definitely getting an ace clutch and just fell off :(

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEigtTvBHv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxwq52C1l0c
Won it next round. :discourse:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Xaintrailles posted:

So did they change the roof on Border so you can't run along a ledge and drop to the window outside Archives any more? I was one kill into definitely getting an ace clutch and just fell off :(

No, you could never do that.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wooper posted:

No, you could never do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG-PoZZZevA&t=566s

(9:26 if it doesn't start there)

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

Yeah, that one. Tried it in a custom game and I'm sure it doesn't work any more.

Don't think it looks any different either, if they're going to change the walking surface it would have been nice to remove or narrow the ledge too...

e: VVVVV Guess I just hadn't used it in a while.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 23, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Xaintrailles posted:

Yeah, that one. Tried it in a custom game and I'm sure it doesn't work any more.

It was fixed sometime around Para Bellum.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God drat, played Smoke for the first time since this update. Used his SMG for long-range (as I was using his shotgun). The recoil was loving mental. Tips for using this? I can't really depend on it for long-range engagements cause it kicks like a mule. Is there even a way to handle the recoil or is it mainly meant as a hipfire weapon up close now?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

God drat, played Smoke for the first time since this update. Used his SMG for long-range (as I was using his shotgun). The recoil was loving mental. Tips for using this? I can't really depend on it for long-range engagements cause it kicks like a mule. Is there even a way to handle the recoil or is it mainly meant as a hipfire weapon up close now?

It's an up-close weapon like all the other machine pistols.

Use his SMG instead of his shotgun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

All of the machine pistols are basically only for point blank blasting now.

IMO it was pretty stupid how the SMG-11 was a crazy sniper rifle for most of the game's existence. Dokkaebi's SMG-12 is still the best door/window opener in the game though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm totally cool with that. Makes sense too, it sucked that you could go shotgun for close range and then SMG for perfectly accurate long range.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol i just aim at ppl's stomachs now and try to wrangle in that horizontal recoil as it climbs to their head when using that or the bearing 9

smoke's fmg has always been underrated tho

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm trying to use shotguns more. I've noticed when I use shotguns, I hold angles and actually play the objective. When I've got a gun capable of medium to long range fighting, I tend to push fights (and die more often than not, unless it's one of those rare days where my brain is all systems go adderall mode). So now I'm trying to rein that in by using shotguns and holding tight angles. It's really, really satisfying when I can hear someone coming, and I just pop out and blast them onto the ground.

I'm even using shotties for attackers, and just taking the most direct path to the objective. I bust a window open, drone it, then jump in and instantly kill whoever is in the room. So I've been maining thermite a lot, for rooms where there aren't windows into the objective.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
as a 24/7 shotgun main i recommend that shotguns are always used.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips for getting a feel for the range of the shotguns? There'll be some real juicy moments where I can nab a kill, but I go, ADS and shoot and don't kill them outright because they're just out of range to where the damage falloff lets them live and then they pop my head into a red mist.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
shoot a wooden wall from varying distances to get an idea of the spread

this includes stationary and while strafing

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Personally I hate that the spread is the typical fps spread of dinner plate right out of the gun and barn sized 5m away, it's helpful opening walls but makes shooting across a room almost pointless

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh R6 Shotguns have classic FPS choke, as opposed to actual utility.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The only game I can think of with realistic shotguns is Rising Storm 2.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Vegas 2 had realistic shotguns. Escape from Tarkov, maybe?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Vegas 2 had realistic shotguns. Escape from Tarkov, maybe?

EFT shotguns are amazing, its almost like the devs have actually shot guns irl

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier had the best shotguns.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Think you'll find the Gold Standard is still the F.E.A.R Shotgun. I'd play any game that has that loving thing in it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bad Company 2 shotguns, well, slug shotguns. :getin:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Shockeh posted:

Think you'll find the Gold Standard is still the F.E.A.R Shotgun. I'd play any game that has that loving thing in it.

I'd like someone to have the FEAR Particle Gun aka skeletonizer...
VERY LOUD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmZmO7kWxII
But for now the over-under slug shotty will suffice.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

working mom posted:

EFT shotguns are amazing, its almost like the devs have actually shot guns irl

shotguns are pretty much the only thing russians can get fairly easily due to their guns laws; it's also why you see their VEPRs bored out to a shotgun round (.366 TKM)